Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2014   #1201
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
No one knows developing QBs like a TE coach.
From Google...
Quote:
George Robert Godsey is the Quarterbacks coach for the Houston Texans and a former Central Florida assistant coach. He played quarterback at Georgia Tech before playing in the Arena Football League for one season.
maybe he has a passing knowledge on the subject...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1202
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 100548 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
From Google...

maybe he has a passing knowledge on the subject...
Hopefully a handoff one too.
Old 02-20-2014   #1203
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bill O'Brien's best friend in the league...

The pair coached together at Georgia Tech in the mid-1990s. O'Brien met his wife, Colleen, through Bills HC Doug Marrone and his wife right around then.

"It's a funny profession," Marrone said. "You start off, and I started off in Division III after I'd gotten done playing. You grow up with a lot of people. usually it's regional. we were all obviously in the northeast together. ... You see everyone grow and see everyone grow in the profession. It's a gratifying experience to know people in your profession have integrity, have character, that work extremely hard and are able to be successful."

Marrone didn't say much about what O'Brien was like when they were young coaches together, but I asked him off the podium if the intensity everybody talks about with O'Brien has always been part of his character.

"Bill wears his heart on his sleeve," Marrone said. "I'd say it's intense, but it's intense in a positive way, not a negative way. ... If he couldn't turn it off, that would be a negative way. ... He's done it throughout his whole career, not only as a head coach, but even when I saw him as a position coach."

Marrone recently went through the same transition O'Brien is about to. I felt similarities in their feelings about making the move. Marrone actually felt the transition from college to the NFL was easier than the transition from working in the pros to working in college.

"I was much more comfortable with the schedule, calendar, the way it was in the NFL than it was in college," Marrone said. "The schedule is different. It's very difficult to spend as much time as you'd like to coaching."
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...iens-intensity
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1204
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Combine: O'Brien presser (Part 1)

Combine: O'Brien presser (Part 2)

Combine: O'Brien presser (Part 3)

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Bill O'Brien said having Romeo Crennel on his staff will help tremendously during his 1st season. Said he's been there & won games. #Texans

BOB says Looking at how a player is built needs to be taken into account along with height in looking at a QB. #NFLCombine #texans

"You can't compare guys to Tom Brady" BOB on if he looks at these young QBs in the draft. #NFLCombine #texans

"One of the things in this league is you're always looking at tackles. You can never have too many tackles" BOB. #texans

BOB said he's met with all the QBs on he #texans and is looking at all of them and their competitiveness... said he doesn't even have it narrowed down to 5 or 6 players in mind for the 1st pick. #texans #NFLCombine

#texans HC Bill O'Brien at the podium now. pic.twitter.com/agNJcuSNQN
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
No OC for the #Texans, but Bill O'Brien said today QB coach George Godsey is going to take some of the traditional OC responsibilities.

O'Brien says he hasn't spoken to UCF coach George O'Leary about Blake Bortles yet. They've only spoken once since he took this job. #Texans

BOB says the #texans defense will be versatile when asked if they'll run Crennel's 3-4 system.

Asked if he'll run a zone blocking scheme, O"Brien says their scheme will be diverse. #Texans

BOB says looking at how a player is built needs to be taken into account along with height in looking at a QB. #NFLCombine #texans

O'Brien on Schaub/Yates/Keenum: "Good guys. Looking forward to working with these guys." #Texans

"I've watched Jadeveon on film. He's obviously a very good player. I think he played very well this year." Bill O'Brien #Texans

O'Brien says the Texans have not narrowed the field to 4 or 5 players.

"It takes a long time. It's not something where you develop your thoughts right away" O'Brien says about choosing first pick. #Texans

#Texans coach Bill O'Brien to the podium. Manziel still talking.
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
#Texans' O'Brien has only spoken with George O'Leary once since taking job. #NFL

#Texans' O'Brien said offense will run a zone-blocking scheme, power scheme, trap scheme ... "a lot of schemes." #NFL

Asked about 3-4/Crennel affecting J.J. Watt, #Texans' O'Brien said Watt will "fit in well with our schemes." Will use a "multiple" defense.

#Texans' O'Brien said he's looking for a QB that's best for the team and fits what team does. Has had 5-10 and 6-5 QBs who've worked well.

#Texans' O'Brien: "You can't really compare guys to Tom Brady." #NFL #Patriots

#Texans will hold a rookie minicamp week after #NFL draft.

#Texans' O'Brien emphasizing "team guys" that represent the organization.

#Texans' O'Brien joked he doesn't know what it means when people say Blake Bortles is his type of guy. #NFL

#Texans' O'Brien said team will continue to work with all three QBs. Asked if Schaub or Keenum could start in '14, O'Brien didn't answer.

#Texans' O'Brien has met with Schaub, Keenum, Yates. #NFL

#Texans' O'Brien didn't discuss Clowney's desire, lack of focus when asked. #NFL

#Texans' O'Brien said Clowney is a "very good player" on film but added there are many good players in draft.

#Texans' O'Brien emphasizing time and patience for No. 1 pick. Not even close to making a final decision. #NFL

#Texans' Bill O'Brien. #NFL pic.twitter.com/nt3QnPziTk

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-21-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2014   #1205
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm starting to like this O'Brien guy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014   #1206
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Me to but sometimes when he's talking i'm not sure the words are coming from his mouth or his chin
Old 02-21-2014   #1207
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Going to be a major culture change on Kirby.

And I like it!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014   #1208
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Going to be a major culture change on Kirby.

And I like it!

Yep. This franchise will be different. I had my doubts about O'Brien because I didn't know much about him. But he got my attention when he walked into Reliant and fired everybody but the janitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1209
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 02-22-2014   #1210
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

WTF is he looking at ? Rick smith looks focused, Bob looks bored and looks like he is day dreaming haha, he also fails to blink. Good god
Old 02-22-2014   #1211
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
WTF is he looking at ? Rick smith looks focused, Bob looks bored and looks like he is day dreaming haha, he also fails to blink. Good god

Old 02-22-2014   #1212
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 100548 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but which one actually knows what he is evaluating?
Old 02-22-2014   #1213
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me to but sometimes when he's talking i'm not sure the words are coming from his mouth or his chin
For sure, worried about getting sucked into a wormhole through it.
Old 02-22-2014   #1214
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Yeah, but which one actually knows what he is evaluating?
HAHA well Rick has atleast been here and we have seen what he can do in the draft, we dont know about BOB yet. Cant answer that atleast for a few seasons.
Old 02-22-2014   #1215
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
HAHA well Rick has atleast been here and we have seen what he can do in the draft, we dont know about BOB yet. Cant answer that atleast for a few seasons.
True that.

All the hours and hours of tedious eval on these players makes me tired just thinking about it.
Old 02-22-2014   #1216
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching OL run 40s isn't exactly exciting or important. He was probably resting those eyes for the field drills.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1217
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Watching OL run 40s isn't exactly exciting or important. He was probably resting those eyes for the field drills.
Agreed. & instead of looking like a bump on the log, Rick Smith should have been laying out feelers for that #1 pick.

Old 02-22-2014   #1218
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only does BOB have a butt-chin, he has a ghetto booty chin.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1219
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
WTF is he looking at ?...
Video board. Everything is broadcast and recorded.

Those guys end player interviews at 11:00PM and are up by 4:00AM every day.
Old 02-22-2014   #1220
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Video board. Everything is broadcast and recorded.

Those guys end player interviews at 11:00PM and are up by 4:00AM every day.
ewww sounds like my day 365....dont feel sorry for him

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read