Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2014   #761
Foxboro Steve
Veteran

Section: Gillette: 102, row 24 seat 5
Rep Power: 4106 Foxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respectedFoxboro Steve is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Correct. There may not be a coach out there who wins without a stud quarterback but I'd hazard that there's not a coach out there who doesn't also know that. O'Brien is going to be in a position to choose from many options and he knows what's at stake. He'll make the right call.
I am not convinced any of these guys know for sure. Drafts are full of can't miss guys like Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman. Everyone missed on Brady for nearly six rounds. If they knew he was GOAT, he would have gone #1 overall. They (scouts, player personnel, front office types) get in love with combine #'s and miss when it comes to work ethic and heart.
Old 01-02-2014   #762
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone know what time the introductory presser will be? Have been looking around and can't find it...thanks
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #763
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229176 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
Does anyone know what time the introductory presser will be? Have been looking around and can't find it...thanks
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
No O'Brien press conference announced yet. As Penn State just announced he's taken the #Texans job, this is clearly a logistical delay.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #764
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Thanks
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #765
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxboro Steve View Post
They (scouts, player personnel, front office types) get in love with combine #'s and miss when it comes to work ethic and heart.
Or maybe Bradey was still developing both. Coming in as a 6th round QB probably was the catalyst to markedly improve his work ethic. After being called a game manager for a couple of years probably fueled his desire to become great. Surely Belichick's ability to nurture & develop greatness played a role.

Had he gone at the bottom of the first to the Kansas City Chiefs (an organization notorious for botching drafted QBs) we'd never know who he was.
Old 01-02-2014   #766
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rumor is they wanted a 3rd before last yrs draft. If they dont trade him they will lose him in FA. and get nothing next yr. Similar to the Cassell situation a few yrs ago.
Belichick isn't trading his backup QB for a 3rd when he doesn't have another backup ready. Besides, he might get a 3rd round comp pick for Mallet if he becomes a FA. Add in that we have no idea if O'Brien even likes Mallet, and you come up with this isn't happening.
Old 01-02-2014   #767
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73208 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

what i want to know is the football and technical side of o'brien. can anyone break down his system? what are his strengths and weaknesses? is he someone to amp the franchise for someone else or is he a long term prospect? as a qb coach, does he have a favored build/style that he'll want to bring in?
Old 01-02-2014   #768
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 82184 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Jan. 2, 2014

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The following is a joint statement by Penn State President Rodney Erickson and Athletic Director Dave Joyner.

"Penn State would like to extend its best wishes to Bill O'Brien. Coach O'Brien was a tremendous leader during a challenging time at our university, guiding our student athletes to success both on the field and in the classroom. We will always be grateful to him for his time here at Penn State. We wish Bill, Colleen and his family the very best as they embark on this next phase in their lives.

"Penn State will move forward immediately with a national search to identify a new head football coach who will embrace our program's foundation of academic and athletic success."
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...010214aac.html
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #769
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229176 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Bud Light presents: ridiculous trade guy.
I like that.

But the Brownies do have a way of making their fans go...

Old 01-02-2014   #770
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
what i want to know is the football and technical side of o'brien. can anyone break down his system? what are his strengths and weaknesses? is he someone to amp the franchise for someone else or is he a long term prospect? as a qb coach, does he have a favored build/style that he'll want to bring in?
Quote:
O'Brien's first move in a game plan is to thoroughly teach his offensive players about the defense they will be facing that week. Everything the defenses do, Their scheme, tendencies, everything. His players must be smart and he expects hard work. He tailors the offense around his players on a week to week basis. He'll even change player positions (One week a TE is "F", next week he's "Y", etc) to make the plan work around his players. After installing the game plan he gives his players a cheat sheet of sorts that has information on the game plan and on the defense they'll be facing. That gives each individual player something to study (I believe it's tailored for each individual player, but i'm not sure) and stay sharp on the game plan. A RB he coached at Penn State said that these cheat sheets helped immensely in that he knew when the opponent would choose to blitz, and so could block more effectively.

O'Brien comes from the Belichick school of accountability; If you're not getting it done, i will find someone that will right now. O'Brien loves TE's, and is responsible, IMO, for the rebirth of the two TE set with his work in New England. He will use smart TE's $#@!ing everywhere; blocking, RB, FB, WR, everything. (OD, GG, and RG, anyone?)
This is a quote I took off another site, does that do anything for you?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #771
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73208 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it does and doesnt. that reads like a belichick description over the last few years, with and without o'brien. i'm more interested in more specific similarities he took from the patriots to penn state (whom i didnt watch at all). are there formations or route combinations or reads he favors? personnel packages (such as 2 TE) that he uses more than others, and how does he use them? "ace" packages or stacked or slot TE? shotgun or under center? max protect or bootleg or spread or mix? TE's like aaron hernandez in the backfield or schematically rotating runningbacks or is a feature like run/pass blocking mandatory?
Old 01-02-2014   #772
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default College teammate lauds O'Brien's determination

College teammate lauds O'Brien's determination

By John Harris

Quote:
But if there's anyone you'd want in that foxhole, or better yet leading you out of the foxhole to do just that, it's Bill O'Brien.

During his senior year (1992), we traveled down to William & Mary and got hammered by the Tribe 51-7. Quite frankly, we weren't good. That was game three of the season, and we would finish that year 0-10. It was the only game for which we took a plane.

We thought Coach K (Brown coach Mickey Kwiathowski) was throwing us a bone by allowing us to get back to do what every college student does on a Saturday night - go out on the town. In East Providence, R.I., that meant heading to someone's apartment or to Oliver's, a local bar. It's not like living near Washington Avenue or in Midtown in Houston. Trust me on that.

Regardless, that Saturday we went to a friend's apartment. I was late arriving because, well, I'm from Houston. I had to get my boots and jeans on.

As soon as I walked in, I heard this booming voice saying, "Johnny."

I turned around, and of course it was Bill. Before I could get one word out of my mouth, he let loose.

"Johnny, I'm telling you we're going to be OK," he said. "Don't get down about that game today. We're going to kick some tail the rest of the year. OK?"

I believed him. So when he tells you the Texans are going to be OK, you're going to believe him, too. Trust me, the Texans are a wee bit better than we were in 1992.

I've heard so many analysts, fans and/or talking heads wonder aloud what is it about a man who was only 15-9 in his only two years as a head coach that makes him the right fit for the Texans. I flash back to all those hours spent in the weight room, the locker room and the library, and a million thoughts come racing to mind.

So I don't spend all night in a Twitter fight or talk for an hour on the topic. All I've said about Bill is, "You'll see."

He's not going to shower you with smiles and fist pumps and news conference quotes. That's not what a tough-minded Irish Catholic Bostonian does. But throw on the lights at Reliant Stadium, and you'll see, too.

That's my guy. He'll be your guy, too...
Small world. TheSidelineView's John Harris was college teammates with OB.
Old 01-02-2014   #773
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 139472 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php

Quote:
Texans hire HC Bill O'Brien: A Grade
As a Penn State alumnus, I'm sad to see Bill O'Brien go. That should give you an indication of where I'm going with this grade.

I'm usually against NFL teams hiring college head coaches, but O'Brien has plenty of experience in the pros. He worked under Bill Belichick from 2007 to 2011, and unlike Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel, he proved that he can be in charge with the work he did at Penn State. The Nittany Lions were expected to bottom out in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, yet O'Brien led the program to a 15-9 record in two years. He also got the most out of Matt McGloin, who was just a pedestrian quarterback prior to O'Brien's arrival.

The Texans have made a great choice by hiring O'Brien. There's very little doubt that he'll right the ship in Houston and have the franchise competing for the playoffs again in no time.

I'll have more firing, hiring and retaining grades throughout the week. Follow me @walterfootball for updates.
Old 01-02-2014   #774
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/bill...nn-state-rant/

This guy is a maniac, and I like it!!

Guys who want to know about Coach Bills system, just watch the Patriots in the playoffs.
Old 01-02-2014   #775
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 274145 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
it does and doesnt. that reads like a belichick description over the last few years, with and without o'brien. i'm more interested in more specific similarities he took from the patriots to penn state (whom i didnt watch at all). are there formations or route combinations or reads he favors? personnel packages (such as 2 TE) that he uses more than others, and how does he use them? "ace" packages or stacked or slot TE? shotgun or under center? max protect or bootleg or spread or mix? TE's like aaron hernandez in the backfield or schematically rotating runningbacks or is a feature like run/pass blocking mandatory?
Here is a great article with lots of insight to the Patriots offensive scheme.

I'm not sure how much O'Brien influenced it, but I hope he brings this mindset and attitude with him to Houston.

Quote:
Speak My Language

As the players and schemes have changed, it's the way the Patriots talk that's continued their offensive dominance

But what's allowed New England to maintain its success among the shifts is that its quarterback and coach aren't the only things that have remained the same. The core of the Patriots' offensive system has been threaded through its various stages, both stabilizing the transitions and allowing the next evolution. The design and organization of New England's system is better suited than any other to adapt to an NFL game in which change — of personnel, of trends, of schemes — is the only certainty.

Full article
It's a long article (which is a good thing to me) that really gives you some deep insight into how the Patriots run their offense. It allows a lot more flexibility and adjustments during the game, and is not rigid in its application.

I think it's brilliant, and certainly a new way of doing things than what we've seen for the past 8 years.
Old 01-02-2014   #776
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45895 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1m

#Texans just announced a press conference at 11 a.m. tomorrow. They didn't say it, but they'll introduce Bill O'Brien then.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #777
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Why is NE gonna trade Mallett?
That's what Belichick does. Seems as though I recall him being shopped around last season. He's all about hoarding draft picks ya know. I'm not sure what exactly Mallett could/would bring to the table but he's been groomed for three years in a winning system so it stands to reason that if this is the direction BO'B is interested in taking that ol' Bill would make him/Rick a honey of a deal.

Other than that, I got nuttin'.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #778
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: College teammate lauds O'Brien's determination

Quote:
By John Harris

Quote:
That's my guy. He'll be your guy, too...
The above reminds of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfI_HT39eeM

Old 01-02-2014   #779
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

#Texans just announced a press conference at 11 a.m. tomorrow. They didn't say it, but they'll introduce Bill O'Brien then.
Or Kubiak walks in while the nWo music is playing and McNair saying "It was me all along!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #780
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

Is there any way a regular fan/season ticket holder like myself attend that press conference? I'd absolutely love to see it. I'm ecstatic about this hire. We finally have a coach that has a chance to be elite.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read