Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2014   #681
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly, who's astute when it comes to these things, agrees with you.

In an interview on 610 this week, he said any team that takes Manziel or Bridgewater early in the first round - let alone with the No. 1 pick - will be doing some major overreaching.

He believes the QB group as a whole is mediocre, and that Mettenberger (before his knee injury) was/is by far the most NFL-ready of them.

It was great to hear some sanity brought to the QB-draft discussion.
I gotta chime in on this "NFL ready" thing....

For instance, the most "NFL ready" wr was Hopkins but anyone who is objective would take the "less ready" Cordarrelle Patterson after their rookie seasons.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #682
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He believes the QB group as a whole is mediocre, and that Mettenberger (before his knee injury) was/is by far the most NFL-ready of them.

It was great to hear some sanity brought to the QB-draft discussion.
I heard no such statement about Mettenberger being "by far the most NFL-ready." He did say Met was a late 3rd to 4th round talent who would likely go late 2nd to 3rd because some team would reach.

His distribution of QBs being drafted did seem much more realistic - a couple early 1st then trickling off to some being taken 2nd half of the 1st instead of 6 being taken in the 1st with 4+ in the top 10.
Old 01-01-2014   #683
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Here's an article about O'Brien and his son, who has a rare neurological disease. I just thought it was a good insight on the new coach. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...ng-joe-paterno
Old 01-01-2014   #684
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

For instance, the most "NFL ready" wr was Hopkins but anyone who is objective would take the "less ready" Cordarrelle Patterson after their rookie seasons.
It's like a college guy smashing 82 MPH fastballs with an aluminum bat and saying he's ready for the majors ( Astros included ) . He may have the potential to succeed but you can't test the mental part until he goes live .
Old 01-01-2014   #685
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I heard no such statement about Mettenberger being "by far the most NFL-ready."...
You're right, my mistake -- I heard him say that on a CBS Sports Radio national show.

But in the 610 interview he said basically the same thing: "He (Mettenberger) looks the most like an NFL quarterback."

He also said the QB crop for 2014 is "terribly overrated":

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/12/...-qb-overrated/
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #686
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're right, my mistake -- I heard him say that on a CBS Sports Radio national show.

But in the 610 interview he said basically the same thing: "He (Mettenberger) looks the most like an NFL quarterback."

He also said the QB crop for 2014 is "terribly overrated":

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/12/...-qb-overrated/
Who cares what a columnist has to say about anything? Everyone has opinions, one dude's isn't anymore valuable than another's.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #687
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Except that he and his publication have a very good reputation (earned over many years).

Where's Joel Buchsbaum when we need him?

He wouldn't have fallen for the Johnny Football hype.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014   #688
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where's Joel Buchsbaum when we need him!
miss him...but you don't need someone else's opinion if you form your own.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #689
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, this is the very first time I'm excited about who our HC is.
Definitely. Capers seemed like a safe pick and Gary seemed like a reach to me. O'Brien might crash and burn spectacularly (I don't see it happening for the record) but if he does then at least Bob will be "wrong in the right direction" for a change.

I really like the emphasis he seems to place on intelligence. It's a quality I think our roster has been lacking over the years.
Old 01-01-2014   #690
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Will he be looking to take his own guy, Christian Hackenberg next year or in 2015?
Next year is 2015.

Happy 2014 Texan fans! I think we're all ready for a change.
Old 01-01-2014   #691
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or waited until the 3rd round to select Kennan Allen or Terrance Williams.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #692
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Definitely. Capers seemed like a safe pick and Gary seemed like a reach to me.
Kubiak's resume read as if he were ready for the position. 11 years as OC for a perennial playoff team with 2 Super Bowl trophies. 22 years in the league as a player and coach on winning franchises. He just didn't have what it takes to be a successful head coach. O'Brien doesn't have the resume Kubiak had, but he has the look of a leader. We'll see if he has everything else it takes. I'm hopeful.
Old 01-01-2014   #693
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

My gut tells me we just hired the next Capers/Kubiak.

This guy has done absolutely NOTHING that impresses me.

#1 I could be Brady's OC. It's Brady. Here's the gameplan --
"Hey Tom, do what you want bro.."

#2 Did Penn State win their conference this year?

Honestly, I like McNair, but I'm starting to think he's just
too much of a football novice.

I would have at least waited to get Wisenhunt an interview

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #694
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kubiak's resume read as if he were ready for the position. 11 years as OC for a perennial playoff team with 2 Super Bowl trophies. 22 years in the league as a player and coach on winning franchises. He just didn't have what it takes to be a successful head coach. O'Brien doesn't have the resume Kubiak had, but he has the look of a leader. We'll see if he has everything else it takes. I'm hopeful.
I thought his resume read like "Career OC" a little bit. Kind of like he'd been around so long that if he'd really had that desire to lead he'd have gone down to the college ranks to do it. For years we always heard about how he was going to get a HC gig somewhere but that's a long time to wait patiently for your opportunity I think. I remember a distinct concern voiced around the board back then that he was maybe of a product of just years of tagging along with Shanahan.

Could be some 20/20 hindsight kicking in on me though. I was never crazy about Kubiak. I don't ever remember being that excited about the Texans hiring him.
Old 01-01-2014   #695
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Or waited until the 3rd round to select Kennan Allen or Terrance Williams.
I wanted to work on the trenches and go WR later. I wanted Kenny Stills. Having said that I didn't hate the Hopkins pick. Still don't. Just would of gone a different way.
Old 01-01-2014   #696
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope this doesn't turn into a Texans version of the
Schiano experience..

Then again, at least Schiano got blown out after a couple of
years. That might be better than giving this guy 6 like
Gary and Dom if he's a .500 coach

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #697
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
But on a serious note you seem to be one of the posters who hates and despises EVERYTHING about the Texans.
No, I don't really see it that way. I think of it as being more of a realist, unbiased, objectivity. The record seems to bear me out. I do understand how the homers and the koolaid drinkers see me as a hater, a negative or a Debbie Downer. I just don't believe that Bob McNair and company can do no wrong and every decision they make is the absolute perfect decision. I have always said Bob wants to win, just doesn't know how. History seems to be on my side. I have been watching and studying football for over 50 years. At some point you have seen it all. You get a sixth sense. Like when Detroit fired Matt Millen and replaced him with Matt's right hand man. You just knew this wouldn't end well. That's kind of what the Texans did here with Kubiak and Smith. Also there are varying degrees of Texans fans, not all are homers or koolaid drinkers. All the undeserving rah rah can be a bit tedious and boring at times.

For the record: I was gung ho initially when Bob hired Kubiak. I thought at the time that Kubiak would be like another mild mannered Texan, Tom Landry. That lasted all of about 2 months when Kubiak explained why he was hiring young inexperienced coaches. The final straw for me was hiring Frank Bush without conducting one interview with a proven DC.

Last edited by Texian; 01-01-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #698
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
#2 Did Penn State win their conference this year?
Did you follow what O'Brien did at Penn State at all? Do you believe they had the talent to win the Big 10? I was impressed by how he kept the team's head up and never let them feel sorry for themselves after the sanctions went down. I was impressed that O'Brien stayed at Penn State after the sanctions were imposed.

I get the skepticism of McNair. He's been in the league 12 years, but he still seems like a novice. Only winning big and winning consistently can change that. I wanted a big name here that could change the culture of this organization. O'Brien is not a "big name". But, maybe he can change things down on Kirby.
Old 01-01-2014   #699
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5047 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't help but be pumped about FINALLY having a HC who won't tolerate excuses or perpetuate loser mentality. Being tough but fair is no guarantee that O'Brien will be successful...but moving away from the passive methods of Capers/Kubiak is step in the right direction regardless of how it ends.
Old 01-01-2014   #700
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Did you follow what O'Brien did at Penn State at all? Do you believe they had the talent to win the Big 10? I was impressed by how he kept the team's head up and never let them feel sorry for themselves after the sanctions went down. I was impressed that O'Brien stayed at Penn State after the sanctions were imposed.

I get the skepticism of McNair. He's been in the league 12 years, but he still seems like a novice. Only winning big and winning consistently can change that. I wanted a big name here that could change the culture of this organization. O'Brien is not a "big name". But, maybe he can change things down on Kirby.
I don't think people put the Penn State situation in the proper context . They were almost as penalized as SMU and had a winning season . I also think O'Brien wanted to be coach bad enough to take that job as a way to prove himself . A man with two young boys taking a job at that place shows something .

Take all that and add his time with Bill B on how to get things done while working with Brady makes me think it's a good gamble .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read