Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2013   #541
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #542
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
...I believe the consultant must have told McNair that O'Brien is your man and that if you want him you have to get the jump on signing him because he will be highly sought after.
I'm wondering how sought-after O'Brien really is.

He looks the part of a football coach. But I think his resume is pretty thin. I mean, how much coaching does Tom Brady really need? Remove Brady from the Patriots and Belichick isn't the wizard everyone makes him out to be.

And as for Kraft giving McNair a good reference for O'Brien...anyone who keeps wearing those two-tone, circa-1998 dress shirts is suspect!
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #543
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Remove Brady from the Patriots and Belichick isn't the wizard everyone makes him out to be.
11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel anyone?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #544
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Good point, although with their offensive line at the time, Schaub could have been league MVP.

But I wasn't saying Belichick isn't a good coach. He is, and a very good one.

He just isn't the be-all and end-all of coaches. His sustained success at NE starts and ends with Brady (and the OL).

Let's see if he's still there to usher in the Mallett Era.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #545
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good point, although with their offensive line at the time, Schaub could have been league MVP.

But I wasn't saying Belichick isn't a good coach. He is, and a very good one.

He just isn't the be-all and end-all of coaches. His sustained success at NE starts and ends with Brady (and the OL).

Let's see if he's still there to usher in the Mallett Era.
This is a complaint with most NE coordinators (both offensive and defensive) and it's pretty much played out like this with most of those coordinators becoming head coaches. The one thing that O'Brien does have to his name is that during his years, the NE offense introduced a lot of things into the NFL that had not been used that much (A lot of no-huddle stuff that Kelly was doing in the NCAA was brought over by the Patriots, Hernandez/Gronk 2 TE sets). I think this gives him a few notable things he did in NE that give him a little bit better than just "cog" status in that particular machine.
Old 12-31-2013   #546
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I think Robert Kraft was the birdy who whispered O'Brien in Mr. McNair's ear. I also think Kraft told O'Brien that McNair is the guy you want to work for. O'Brien was also a sought after commodity around the league. I think he regretted not jumping back to the NFL last year and blamed his prior agent for that.

The consultants seem to have some reservations about O'Brien. Lovie and Wisenhunt are "safer" choices, both with prior HC experience. But McNair must have been blown away.
I'm mixed on O'Brien. In some ways, he's the anti-Kubiak. But in other ways, I'm not seeing anything on his resume that screams that he looks better before this gig than Kubiak did in 2005.

I'll be excited if/when they sign him, but I'd feel the same for most other coaches not named Wade, Norv, etc. I'm just ready to see forward momentum into 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Hopefully, one day, Bob McNair will figure out that all of Bob Kraft's free advice is NOT necessarily in the best interest of Bob McNair. Bob Kraft is the competition and it is in Kraft's best interest that the Houston Texans remain less competitive than the New England Patriots.....just sayin
I can't help but wonder the same thing. You'd think McNair would have learned after the proverbial "kick me" sign on his back in 2001 when owners 'highly recommended' Charley Casserly as a GM.

I can only hope that McNair and Kraft are solid enough friends that he can trust the opinion as solid insight instead of being played by a very competitive and successful owner like Robert Kraft. The stories I've read about Kraft's competitive nature at everything (including beating his own grandkids at board games) makes me a little wary as a fan. I respect that competitive nature, but I also understand how it can be a road that goes both ways.
Old 12-31-2013   #547
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm wondering how sought-after O'Brien really is.
Good Point, so far it appears that the Texans are the the only team dialing his number.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2013   #548
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good Point, so far it appears that the Texans are the the only team dialing his number.
At some point when it became obvious that I was going to marry my wife, others dudes didn't bother to call her.
Old 12-31-2013   #549
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
At some point when it became obvious that I was going to marry my wife, others dudes didn't bother to call her.
That ring is not on O'Brien's finger, yet, my friend.

NFL owners can be pretty ruthless, and the fact that we are closing on Tuesday and all we've heard are rumors of flirting makes me wonder what the heck is going down on Kirby.

The way the media was acting last weekend had a forgone conclusion that a deal would have been announced by today.
Old 12-31-2013   #550
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

NFL owners can be pretty ruthless, and the fact that we are closing on Tuesday and all we've heard are rumors of flirting makes me wonder what the heck is going down on Kirby.

The way the media was acting last weekend had a forgone conclusion that a deal would have been announced by today.
Texans could very well be getting played again. He might want to take a shot at one of the other openings.

We'll find out when we hear about whoever it was he signed with. Then the Texans will move for Lovie but he'll be circling Tampa Bay....

Search your feelings. You know it to be true...
Old 12-31-2013   #551
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why does this remind me of the Toyota commercial where the lady says she hit the jackpot again .

Bob walks up to Kraft and says I'm looking for a coach . Kraft asked if Bob's seen the O'brien ? He's smart , tough , and a great guy . Bob says , wow ... looks like I hit the jackpot again as Carr walks up with a puppy .
Old 12-31-2013   #552
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My gut is this is a done deal, and that there is a contingent deal in place. The contingency is BOB talking to his sons doctors in Penn, to ensure everything will work out for his son the way he and his wife want. I could see McNair allowing him time to do his research to make sure it's a good move for his son.
Old 12-31-2013   #553
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
My gut is this is a done deal, and that there is a contingent deal in place. The contingency is BOB talking to his sons doctors in Penn, to ensure everything will work out for his son the way he and his wife want. I could see McNair allowing him time to do his research to make sure it's a good move for his son.
That's near red-rep territory there Sir. There's absolutely no room for cognizant, rational thought expression here. This is a knee jerk, Eeyore, woe is us, we're ex Oiler and now dreg Texans fans from Houston thread. There's no way something as reasonable as what you offered above has any reason to be in this discussion.

Makes perfect sense to me though.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #554
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
You're probably right. The son angle is one I had not thought of, but it makes a lot of sense.

I'm just anxious like the rest of us, and certainly hold a bit of apprehension in my genetic code as a Houston football fan. I'm not a believer in curses, but sometimes I wonder if my teams are jinxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's near red-rep territory there Sir. There's absolutely no room for cognizant, rational thought expression here. This is a knee jerk, Eeyore, woe is us, we're ex Oiler and now dreg Texans fans from Houston thread. There's no way something as reasonable as what you offered above has any reason to be in this discussion.

Makes perfect sense to me though.
hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 12-31-2013   #555
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
hey, I resemble that remark!
I'm pretty sure we all do to varying degrees after another 2-14 showing. Almost nowhere to go but up, eh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #556
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a believer in curses, but sometimes I wonder if my teams are jinxed.
It might have more to do with the Three Stooges taking up residence at Kirby Dr & Reliant Parkway.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #557
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 30145 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Wait for it...

Quote:
It might have more to do with the Three Stooges taking up residence at Kirby Dr & Reliant Parkway.
And there it is! Normalcy has been restored!
Old 12-31-2013   #558
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another theory floated out into the twittersphere:

Quote:
Kimberly JonesVerified account ‏@KimJonesSports

Bill O'Brien is due $836,065 bonus if he remains at Penn State through 2013. Perhaps that is holding up his move to the NFL.
LINK
Old 12-31-2013   #559
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Another theory floated out into the twittersphere:

LINK
haha I guess O'Brian has $836,065 reasons to wait until tomorrow before agreeing to become the next Head Coach of the Texans.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #560
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel anyone?
He isn't anywhere near the wizard without Brady. You are talking about one season that was right after Brady broke the record and Cassell caught fire because most teams didn't have tape on him. Cassell wasn't all that bad of a QB either though. He had some success in KC, but it wasn't long term.

I follow the Patriots almost as closely as the Texans and BB is not a good GM at all. He has total control over there and hasn't turned that defense around into a great defense in so many years now. That organization has forced Brady to make lemonade out of **** lemons for years. It's been the offense (Which BB doesn't control at all) that has made the Patriots this dominant team for the last 8 years or so. BB is a great coach and I'm not saying he isn't, but he gets vastly overrated for a lot of things because Tom Brady is his QB and Brady is a lot more prepared than even he is when they go to meetings according to BB by his own admission. BB has stated on multiple occasions how hard it is to coach Brady just because it's hard to keep up with all of the information that Brady brings to their meetings which is something he has never experienced with any other player.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read