Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2013   #521
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Detroit really has obvious advantages in only 2 area. QB and D-Line. Outside of that I'd say in every other area we either have the advantage of we're even (if healthy). If it comes down to us and them then it would be an interesting choice for him to make. Both teams can be playoff teams next year some adjustments. Probably a bigger if from our end, but if Teddy B ends up being a gamer then this may be the better long term option.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #522
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Were also in a vary weak division.. get past the Colts and your in the playoffs
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #523
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAg14 View Post
But then you have to live in Detroit.
Exactly!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #524
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hesitant with the whole Belichick Tree thing but the stuff in this thread a few pages back about his philosophies and the way he does things for gameplanning and such sound pretty damn good to me.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #525
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll see how he does...

But I think the Vikings are more on target with their interest in DCs Quinn (Seattle) and Bowles (Arizona), and OC Bevell (Seattle).

With QB being the Texans' No. 1 need, Bevell should have been on Boardroom Bob's short list.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #526
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Twitter is fast!
Sweet
Old 12-31-2013   #527
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Change the player photo to Bridgewater and you'll have it right.

No way O'Brien geehaws with Manziel unless, of course, McNair dictates that Manziel be taken over Bridgewater.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2013   #528
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Detroit really has obvious advantages in only 2 area. QB and D-Line. Outside of that I'd say in every other area we either have the advantage of we're even (if healthy). If it comes down to us and them then it would be an interesting choice for him to make. Both teams can be playoff teams next year some adjustments. Probably a bigger if from our end, but if Teddy B ends up being a gamer then this may be the better long term option.
Calvin Johnson is a pretty good WR.
Old 12-31-2013   #529
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, so is Andre Johnson.

Both are incredible players. Probably the two best WRs I've ever seen. Rice obviously has all the accolades and is the best overall, but I think as far as ability outside of circumstances, and just WRs as WRs....I'm pretty sure Calvin and Andre are the two best I've seen.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #530
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
We'll see how he does...

But I think the Vikings are more on target with their interest in DCs Quinn (Seattle) and Bowles (Arizona), and OC Bevell (Seattle).

With QB being the Texans' No. 1 need, Bevell should have been on Boardroom Bob's short list.

These are the 2 coordinators I brought up along with Ray Horton that I thought the Texans should interview. Not too high on Bevell. All 3 have done outstanding jobs. It seems like McNair is way out of character with this single minded pursuit of O'Brien. It's like this decision to pursue O'Brien was made back when he was deciding to fire Kubiak . I believe the consultant must have told McNair that O'Brien is your man and that if you want him you have to get the jump on signing him because he will be highly sought after.
Old 12-31-2013   #531
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
It's like this decision to pursue O'Brien was made back when he was deciding to fire Kubiak . I believe the consultant must have told McNair that O'Brien is your man and that if you want him you have to get the jump on signing him because he will be highly sought after.
Wasn't this how it went with Kubiak too, when Dan Reeves was the consultant? Pretext of interviewing other candidates while the primary guy never really was in doubt?

This seems more familiar to me than it does out of character. Not saying it is good or bad.

Regardless of what I think of the candidate, it is nice to see Big Enos and Little Enos in such hot pursuit. If they don't get their guy it won't be for a lack of decisiveness or because they fiddled around too long.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #532
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAg14 View Post
But then you have to live in Detroit.
Why? Most people have moved to the Burbs. Southfield is a huge one. It's sort of like Richmond/Rosenberg here. Attractive to the athletes.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #533
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I'm hesitant with the whole Belichick Tree thing but the stuff in this thread a few pages back about his philosophies and the way he does things for gameplanning and such sound pretty damn good to me.
Only because it "works"

Frank Bush had a similar defensive philosophy & we hated it. Just like we have to have a core for the team, something to build on, the offense & defense needs to have a philosophy. Something that keeps them grounded, a common reference.
Old 12-31-2013   #534
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Only because it "works"

Frank Bush had a similar defensive philosophy & we hated it. Just like we have to have a core for the team, something to build on, the offense & defense needs to have a philosophy. Something that keeps them grounded, a common reference.
It wasn't Frank Bush's philosophy that was the problem, it was player selection and coaching that led to poor implementation.

Read & react isn't a problem in itself, but you sure as hell better let the players know their reads inside out and how to react in each situation. It isn't the philosophy that failed, it was the hesitancy the players had thinking through their responsibilities.

I actually think having a D that is easy for the O to decipher has held us back just as much this season, it comes down to which unit hesitates more in a given situation as to whether or not you are put in the best situation to win your matchup.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #535
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
These are the 2 coordinators I brought up along with Ray Horton that I thought the Texans should interview. Not too high on Bevell. All 3 have done outstanding jobs. It seems like McNair is way out of character with this single minded pursuit of O'Brien. It's like this decision to pursue O'Brien was made back when he was deciding to fire Kubiak . I believe the consultant must have told McNair that O'Brien is your man and that if you want him you have to get the jump on signing him because he will be highly sought after.
I don't think these interviews are as important as we think they are. These guys know who they're looking at before they sit down for the face to face. They didn't need an "interview" to decide they didn't want Wade, or to find out how qualified Lovie Smith is.

Surely they made up their minds before any of them walked in the door & it was more of an attempt to sell Houston to O'Brien than anything.

I wouldn't have done it any different. I'd have my list, I'd have it prioritized from most desirable to least desirable. Lovie & Wade would have had to blown my mind to get the job. O'Brien would have had to put his foot in his mouth not to get the job. He wouldn't have left Houston without a contract. Interviewing Wisenhunt would have been a waste of time.

Unless, Wisenhunt was the primary choice, which is possible. Then I'd have been talking with Wisenhunt's agent, find out how interested he is in coming to Houston as the HC, what kind of compensation he's looking for. If it were apparent that we could land him, then I'd have put an extension on my plans to hire my HC.

If we're too far away on terms, if his agent doesn't want to commit... then I'd move on to my second choice.
Old 12-31-2013   #536
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
?..It seems like McNair is way out of character with this single minded pursuit of O'Brien. It's like this decision to pursue O'Brien was made back when he was deciding to fire Kubiak . I believe the consultant must have told McNair that O'Brien is your man and that if you want him you have to get the jump on signing him because he will be highly sought after.
I think Robert Kraft was the birdy who whispered O'Brien in Mr. McNair's ear. I also think Kraft told O'Brien that McNair is the guy you want to work for. O'Brien was also a sought after commodity around the league. I think he regretted not jumping back to the NFL last year and blamed his prior agent for that.

The consultants seem to have some reservations about O'Brien. Lovie and Wisenhunt are "safer" choices, both with prior HC experience. But McNair must have been blown away.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #537
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I think Robert Kraft was the birdy who whispered O'Brien in Mr. McNair's ear. I also think Kraft told O'Brien that McNair is the guy you want to work for. O'Brien was also a sought after commodity around the league. I think he regretted not jumping back to the NFL last year and blamed his prior agent for that.

The consultants seem to have some reservations about O'Brien. Lovie and Wisenhunt are "safer" choices, both with prior HC experience. But McNair must have been blown away.
I have been thinking this exact same thing and once this process is all over I hope we get some insight about their reasoning. If we do I would be surprised if Robert Kraft's name is not brought up by both of them.
Old 12-31-2013   #538
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hopefully, one day, Bob McNair will figure out that all of Bob Kraft's free advice is NOT necessarily in the best interest of Bob McNair. Bob Kraft is the competition and it is in Kraft's best interest that the Houston Texans remain less competitive than the New England Patriots.....just sayin
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #539
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Calvin Johnson is a pretty good WR.
You think? But last time I checked more than one receiver normally lines out wide. Like I said I think as a group we're pretty even there.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #540
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Consultants wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't have "reservations" about any of the candidates. It's their job to be objective and present the pros and cons of each choice. Obie probably rustles some bustles and that's a reservation. And this is an organization that needs some bustles rustled, as folks are a little too comfortable and complacent of late.

"Why Kate, you're not wearin' a bustle. How lewd."

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read