Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2013   #441
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
There's a reason he's called The Quarterback Whisperer.
From what I've seen, BOB sometimes whispers really loud with a lot of animosity.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #442
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
At the very least I think we can all agree that he has had success with both QBs he has had at Penn St, which is very important to me considering our situation.

His first year he took a former walk on who had done this in his previous two years:
448 attempts
54.2% completion
3119 yards
22 TDs
14 INTs

And did this with him:
446 attempts
60.5% completion
3271 yards
24 TDs
5 INTs

His second year he took a true freshman QB (granted, a very highly rated one) and did this:
392 attempts
58.9% completion
2955 yards
20 TDs
10 INTs

This tells me that he either has the ability to develop QBs or at least has an eye for QB talent. Both of those things are needed around here.
A college QB with less than 60% completions and a TD to INT ratio of less than 3 to 1 is considered a below average QB.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #443
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152339 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
From what I've seen, BOB sometimes whispers really loud with a lot of animosity.
I guess that's better than Kubiak, The Quarterback Coddler, who would stroke Schaub's head and let him suckle at his man teet.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #444
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
A college QB with less than 60% completions and a TD to INT ratio of less than 3 to 1 is considered a below average QB.
Considering that he was a true freshman starting in the Big Ten on a team under scholarship reductions that had also lost numerous starters to transfer, it's pretty clear he did just fine.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #445
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Considering that he was a true freshman starting in the Big Ten on a team under scholarship reductions that had also lost numerous starters to transfer, it's pretty clear he did just fine.
Dude, if his name ain't Bortles Texian can't be bothered to swing from that jock. He only has eyes for Blake.
Old 12-29-2013   #446
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Dude, if his name ain't Bortles Texian can't be bothered to swing from that jock. He only has eyes for Blake.
Dude, there are 50 college QBs with more than 60% completions and a better than 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio.
Old 12-29-2013   #447
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Dude, there are 50 college QBs with more than 60% completions and a better than 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio.
Do they all rhyme with "Shlake Shortles"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2013   #448
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Do they all rhyme with "Shlake Shortles"?
I'm too sick to laugh this much. It hurts!
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #449
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
I'm too sick to laugh this much. It hurts!
You must be sick, it wasn't funny, unless maybe, if you were at Summer Camp.
Old 12-29-2013   #450
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
I think the Browns could be in play for O'Brien if the reports are true that they have fired their coach. Their GM Lombardi has a relationship with Belichick.
Tweets all over the place the Browns have officially cut coach Chud (but retained the staff for now?)
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #451
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess that's better than Kubiak, The Quarterback Coddler, who would stroke Schaub's head and let him suckle at his man teet.
Yes, it is.

....and....gross!

I can't help thinking about how much happier Watt would probably be with a HC that doesn't put up with bad play, lack of effort, lack of concentration, etc. from his teammates.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #452
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Damn girl, you paint a nasty picture!
Old 12-29-2013   #453
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Tweets all over the place the Browns have officially cut coach Chud (but retained the staff for now?)
Also, Lombardi HATES the Texans. HATES us. I'm sure the thought of us getting O'Brien drove him crazy and he wanted to compete with us.

Even though the Texans are clearly the better job in the NFL, I guarantee you Lombardi is bashing the Texans to O'Brien, his agent, and the Patriots.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #454
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

I,m not a fan but rumor has it he has told the texans he wants to see what other teams are offering before deciding . The fact that we are saying we will decide soon says bill is out .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #455
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Also, Lombardi HATES the Texans. HATES us. I'm sure the thought of us getting O'Brien drove him crazy and he wanted to compete with us.

Even though the Texans are clearly the better job in the NFL, I guarantee you Lombardi is bashing the Texans to O'Brien, his agent, and the Patriots.
meh, if O'Brien wants to be the next Butch Davis then let him.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #456
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
According to league sources, some of the concern around O'Brien includes... O'Brien's issues dealing with the AD at Penn State...
The first "issue" sounds like politics to me...
Quote:
O'Brien spoke to the University Board of Trustees on July 12 as it weighed a proposal to the NCAA to lessen the sanctions. Sources at the meeting have said O'Brien's view is essentially that by not simply accepting the sanctions and moving on, Penn State could be hurting its own cause, or at least the cause of the football program going forward.

O'Brien seems OK with those reports.

"I have been asked many, many questions over the last 19 months about the sanctions so I accepted the invitation and I went down there," he said. "I don't have anything to hide; I just want to do what's right for these kids and this football program. So no, I am not upset about anything."
http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...s-and-QBs.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
...and why two longtime trusted Penn State assistants recently walked away from the program without having other jobs lined up.
Vanderlinden had been at PSU since 2001, was demoted from DC back to LB coach when BO'B was hired. Not surprising he left or was asked to, although I bet he wishes otherwise now.

Fisher was QB coach and may have been redundant with BO'B working closely with his QBs.

As far as...
Quote:
Belichick disciples and the heavy-handed nature of their power grabs in the past...
Not sure why BO'B gets dinged for other people's actions/behaviors/etc. I wouldn't have touched Mangenius, McDaniels, Pioli, and a few others. But Ozzie Newsome was a front office exec under Belichick... does BO'B get any love for that fact? Nope, doesn't have anything to do with him. You either like the guy and take him at face value or you don't.

I don't think La Canfora's unnamed source quoting amounts to anything more than headline seeking. We'll see...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #457
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
EEWWW! Eye bleach please? Make it a double!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #458
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Who cares? If O'Brian wants to coach the Browns and be the 6th head coach fired in eight years with that organization, so be it. If he wants an owner that is patient and will stick by his coach during tough times (Kubiak in 2010) he will join the Texans. It should be a no brainer for any logical person.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #459
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Who cares? If O'Brian wants to coach the Browns and be the 6th head coach fired in eight years with that organization, so be it. If he wants an owner that is patient and will stick by his coach during tough times (Kubiak in 2010) he will join the Texans. It should be a no brainer for any logical person.
How quickly they turn.......
Old 12-29-2013   #460
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post

Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read