Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are you looking for against Bengals?

I took a big breath, let it out and hope to not allow optimism to cloud reason..having said that, the game could go either way. IMO the game depends on coaching (it was very good last week), Mallett's (his confidence has to be soaring)accuracy past 20 yds, our DBs and Superman er Watt.

My focus is on DBs and RT side of O line. Anything from Clowney is gravy.

Your focus?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: What are you looking for against Bengals?

Situational football. Blue running for a 150+ yards is cool & everything, but we need to get that 3rd & 1, or 3rd & 2... We need to score on our first drive, then we need to score on the following drive, whether it's to extend the lead, or take the lead. We need to score TDs after a turnover.

I understand most teams don't do these, most teams aren't succesful at them, & the ones that are, aren't consistent..... but the teams that scare you are generally better at them than not.

I don't expect us to be able to do these things consistently, but I'd like to get the feeling that we're working on it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney came back last week vs. Joe Thomas. I knew he wouldn't have a breakout game.

He'll be up against Andrew Whitworth who is coming back from injury this weekend. I'll be looking for him to make some TFL's and possibly a sack this week.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Situational football. Blue running for a 150+ yards is cool & everything, but we need to get that 3rd & 1, or 3rd & 2... We need to score on our first drive, then we need to score on the following drive, whether it's to extend the lead, or take the lead. We need to score TDs after a turnover.

I understand most teams don't do these, most teams aren't succesful at them, & the ones that are, aren't consistent..... but the teams that scare you are generally better at them than not.

I don't expect us to be able to do these things consistently, but I'd like to get the feeling that we're working on it.

I agree with all of this.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to be looking at what the Bengals try to do to confuse Mallett now that they've got some tape on him, what is it they're going to try to take away, what flaws do they think they saw. I want to see Mallett improve and progress from what he did last week, getting the team to the line quickly, making quick, decisive, and correct reads.

On defense, I want to start seeing more pressure from everyone not named Watt and from JJ, I just want to see him keep doing what he does. AJ Green is a monster match-up and I want to see what RAC is going to do schematically to render him null and void. I'm hoping Dent and Clowney continue to progress. I want to see Clowney getting in there and disrupting the run game like Watt does.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 13154 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking to the Texans to continue where they left off last week in the running game. I'm expecting Arian to be back, and splitting time with Blue. I haven't heard it mentioned yet, but IMO having two effective RB's will help keep the defense guessing, especially with Arian's ability to receive. I'm also looking to see Mallet progress as a QB. I'm not expecting him to be a world beater, but any improvement from last week will be ++.

As far as defense, I expect/hope they get plenty of pressure on Dalton. I know J Jo had a great game against the Browns, but that was one game. I'm far more concerned right now about the defense than the offense, and that's crazy to me. Amazing what a little bit of decent QB play will do to your opinion of a team.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

A win.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm looking squarely at mallett. the koolaid is strong right now and deservedly so.

defense is really coming along with a butt-load of talent and great coaches, depending on how clowney and cushing feel after their last outing we could be in great form sunday. we now have the prototype pocket passer under center - a giant with pocket mobility and a howitzer. 3+ years studying and maturing within a single(ish) system has him very well prepared. i want to see deep double moves on target, i want to see zone reads (correctly) thrown before the receiver turns, and in general i want to see the offense moving.

i still worry about our play design, and the back of my mind chirps with thoughts of rex "fluck it i'm throwing deep!" grossman because of a dependency on arm talent. mallett could cure a lot of concerns with a repeat performance - particularly being successful with throws of 10-15 yards. that will be a tough task against the bengals strong linebacker and secondary, but we need this win to have a chance at the playoffs - a line that's put on the quarterback.

Last edited by Scooter; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:06 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
ArmyBengal
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respected

A good game with no injuries on either side??
Seriously, I come out a winner regardless of which team wins.
Pretty nice !!
ArmyBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see Mallett light it up in front of the home crowd.

Want to be able to feel that stadium rocking tomorrow.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 14806 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBengal View Post
A good game with no injuries on either side??
Seriously, I come out a winner regardless of which team wins.
Pretty nice !!
Well said! May nobody get seriously injured in this one.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think for obvious reasons, all eyes will be on Mallett. After that, I want to see our defense vs this offense. If we cannot slow down the Bengals, we have little to no shot at slowing down Indy at Indy. We need to really clamp down on them and force some more turnovers. I want to win big. I want a 31-17 type victory. Let the NFL know we are legit in the AFC.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney has no sacks, no forced or recovered fumbles, no passes defended, and 4 tackles. I would like to see at least one of those change.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking for everything, expecting nothing other than effort.

From what I've been picking up, I think the crowd will really be into it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Lot of excitement on both sides of the ball..........as the Bengals go into what they call the "House of Horrors."

Bengals try to ward off Deja Blue
Quote:
Never mind going back to the House of Horrors Sunday (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) when the Bengals go to the Texans’ NRG Stadium. Never mind that. The Texans have the running game from Hades. This time the Bengals may get an edge from a coach who has come over from the other side.

Throw in veterans like nose tackle Domata Peko and his film study that has encompassed the good, the bad, and the ugly of the series and the Bengals are hoping to turn the tide instead of going out with it.

“They like to make you go sideways,” said Bengals safety George Iloka before Thursday’s practice.

Houston’s offense has solved the Green-Dalton Bengals three times with two different quarterbacks and two different running backs, but the constant has been the swift precision of its fast-flowing zone-blocking running game anchored by two-time Pro Bowl center Chris Myers that in those three outings has rolled up 4.8 yards per carry against the Bengals.

Even before running back Arian Foster rang them for nearly 300 yards in back-to-back Wild Card Games in 2011 and 2012, he and Ben Tate came into Paul Brown Stadium on Dec. 11, 2011 and got rookie quarterback T.J. Yates a win in his first NFL start by splitting 108 yards on 23 carries.

“It’s like Baltimore’s running game,” Iloka said. “But Houston has the personnel that fit it. The offensive linemen are fast, big. They’re one of the best O-lines in terms of running the ball and they have a back that has run it his whole career. He does a good job of reading. That’s what they’re good at.”

Foster was shelved last week with a groin injury and on Thursday he didn’t practice after being limited Wednesday. That could turn Sunday’s game into a showcase of two rookie running backs from LSU both off 150-yard games. After the Bengals’ Jeremy Hill rushed for 152 in New Orleans, he texted congratulations to his Baton Rouge backup Alfred Blue fresh off his 156 yards in the Texans’ victory in Cleveland.

“He’s a slasher, he’s got deceptive speed,” said the 5-11, 230-pound Hill of the 6-2, 223-pound Blue. “He’s a little taller than me and we probably have different styles. But he can find the holes.”
FOR THE REST OF THE STORY, CLICK THE TITLE
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I'm looking to the Texans to continue where they left off last week in the running game. I'm expecting Arian to be back,
You lost me right there.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I am looking for the Texans offense to have the look and feel of a legitimate NFL offense.

Other than that, I expect a Texans win.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm going to be looking at what the Bengals try to do to confuse Mallett now that they've got some tape on him, what is it they're going to try to take away, what flaws do they think they saw. I want to see Mallett improve and progress from what he did last week, getting the team to the line quickly, making quick, decisive, and correct reads.

On defense, I want to start seeing more pressure from everyone not named Watt and from JJ, I just want to see him keep doing what he does. AJ Green is a monster match-up and I want to see what RAC is going to do schematically to render him null and void. I'm hoping Dent and Clowney continue to progress. I want to see Clowney getting in there and disrupting the run game like Watt does.
The chess match involves looking at the film. Predicting how the other team will counter our strengths and exploit weaknesses, and then working on the proper counter/counter moves ahead of time. This is what allows a team to string together victories rather than bounce around near .500. Also like chess, it's the team that can look several moves ahead rather than just one which usually prevails.

Our hope when OB came is that this area would improve. But I'm not convinced whether it has or not at this early point. This is even more applicable to Mallett after his first start. He is indicating in interviews that he knows it. That is a positive if it indicates a personal understanding rather than repeating a mantra.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 119243 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Lot of excitement on both sides of the ball..........as the Bengals go into what they call the "House of Horrors."

FOR THE REST OF THE STORY, CLICK THE TITLE
Nice read Doc, thanks!

I didn't know that Joseph went to Cincy
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to hit Dalton early and often. This game is really about which Andy shows up.

Mallett has to continue getting the ball out quickly and be decisive. He needs to convert the 3rd and shorts as well. I'm also hoping that BoB throws the ball on 3rd and medium instead of going super conservative.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read