Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-09-2013   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BADBOY's December mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would not compare Evans to Gronk or use him as TE. He is more like we have played AJ last two years. Pass to him at or near LOS and watch him make a play and then let Keenum send him deep. Evans is very good down sidelines.
Thats what I figured and if the coaches wanted to use him like that id stay away. He doesnt have near aj speed. Id rathrr have an OT in the first round than evans.

But I like getting a bunch of picks. Just think differently about bridge and clowney than you do.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Thats what I figured and if the coaches wanted to use him like that id stay away. He doesnt have near aj speed. Id rathrr have an OT in the first round than evans.

But I like getting a bunch of picks. Just think differently about bridge and clowney than you do.
Sure that's cool. As you know I mocked Matthews at #5 but think we can get better draft as is. I contemplated Kouandijo #8 as he will be real good but Cyril + Jawuan James at lower rounds resolved that. I start premise with keeping Keenum and knowing Texans have to resolve oline regardless. I compare James favorably against all second round tackles with possible exception of Ogbuehi. If I can get a starter in 5th, that is crazy good. I am guessing but I think if AJ ran a 40 today, he'd probably be 4.55 range. He makes up for that with experience, strength and bring ball in. Evans is very similar in that regard.
Old 12-09-2013   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Liking the mock, especially that more people are noticing Smallwood.
I have mocked him various thread for long time but his football intelligence puts him up there with Mosley and Skov. Only concern is Yawin has nothing around him so hard to evaluate as those two have player support net. I rank him third of the three but his availability late third clenched the deal.
Old 12-09-2013   #24
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, I would be really careful with this Evans/Gronk stuff. Gronk has 40 pounds on Evans and he played as a true TE in college. Evans is just a big WR.

Gronk is the highest rated TE I have ever graded. Evans is way closer to Vincent Jackson. He's also scarily similar to Jonathan Baldwin who came out of Pitt a couple of years ago. Big guy who relied on his size too much and never developed the necessary skills to beat NFL CBs.

I think Evans ends up closer to Jackson than Baldwin, btw.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Guys, I would be really careful with this Evans/Gronk stuff. Gronk has 40 pounds on Evans and he played as a true TE in college. Evans is just a big WR.

Gronk is the highest rated TE I have ever graded. Evans is way closer to Vincent Jackson. He's also scarily similar to Jonathan Baldwin who came out of Pitt a couple of years ago. Big guy who relied on his size too much and never developed the necessary skills to beat NFL CBs.

I think Evans ends up closer to Jackson than Baldwin, btw.
No one compared evans to gronk.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #26
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No one compared evans to gronk.
Well I did but it's really only him being a taller than normal target.
Old 12-12-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Ok now it starts to happen. My guy from Tennessee (no the other OT)JaWuan James has started the climb in rankings. I've had him no less than a third round on my board but ESPN ranked him in the 140s for long time. Today, he is 102 and should level to late second or mid third. To help those who are unfamiliar with 6'6" 318 5.28 37 RT starts: "Strengths: Surprisingly quick off the snap, showing the ability to slide to protect the edge against the variety of speed rushers he has faced in the SEC. Plays on the balls of his feet but with his knees bent and his butt down, putting him good position to shuffle laterally as well as anchor against a quality bull-rush. Surprisingly light feet also stand out while run-blocking, as does his competitive spirit.

Powerful at the point of attack and can drive defenders off the ball. Not shy about peeling off of them to target would-be tacklers at the second level, as well. A plug and play candidate, James looks like a solid bet to crack the first 100 picks of the 2014 draft.

Weaknesses: Like most blockers with his frame, James occasionally struggles with pad level. When he drops his head, he can be beaten with a swim move over the top. This occurs most often while run blocking."

--Rob Rang
Old 12-12-2013   #28
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am wishful of a trade down & in this mock #1 (3,000) to Cleveland who missed out on the RG3 sweepstakes and desperately needs a QB. Texans get #8 (1400) & #25 (720)(Colts) in first, #72 (230) & #79 (195) in third and a first in 2015 (580 equal to 2014 2nd) totaling 3125.

1. WR Mike Evans 6'5" 225 1322 yds, 12 TDs and 20.3 avg. Texas A&M This 20 YOA from Galveston Ball High is deadly over the middle and down sidelines. Deceptively fast with great hands and known as "panic" target for Manziel. Gives both QBs a huge, fast, accurate target

http://college-football.si.com/2013/...ay-storylines/

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/132186/mike-evans

Excellent break down on stats such as avg after catch: http://secondroundstats.com/2013/11/12/wrs2/

1 b QB Brett Hundley 6'3" 227 20 YOA UCLA this red shirt soph ended regular season with 2845, 22 TDs, 9 INTs and 8.32 avg. 68% (59% at Washington lowered number).
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct...tball-20131029
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-so-he-should/

2. OL Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor draft him to start LG or support Q. He played LT 2011 for RG3.
http://standingosports.wordpress.com...il-richardson/
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-...n_cyril00.html

3a CB Louchiez Purifoy 6' 190 Florida this player frustrates me more than any other college player I've watched. I see him behind Joseph and maybe replacing KJ in 2015 barring a stellar final season for Jackson.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...14lpurifoy.php "Skill-Set Summary: There doesn't appear to be any weakness or limitation for Purifoy as an athlete. He has ideal size for a cornerback with the agility to turn and run with receivers. Purifoy's speed and movement skills allow him to run with receivers in and out of breaks to prevent them from gaining separation. The first-year starter proved to have cover-corner ability last year. Purifoy's height and length mean quarterbacks have a hard time getting the ball by him.

Purifoy's tight coverage was one of the reasons why he did not record an interception in 2012. The sophomore simply didn't have that many passes thrown his direction. His level of ball skills is one of the only unknowns about him athletically. Purifoy hasn't had an interception in college, but that may not be from a lack of ball skills as he obviously is good enough at catching passes that the Gators are cross-training him at wide receiver.

Purifoy has rare speed for a large cornerback. He can run with speed receivers down the field and isn't threatened by smaller fast wide outs who try to get over the top. Purifoy can battle the big receivers and won't be bullied around. He also showed nice fundamentals as a first-year starter. Purifoy didn't gamble on routes and was disciplined.

The junior is surprisingly physical for a cornerback."

3b S Dion Bailey 6' 200 4.46 USC this 21 YOA has skills and hip swivle to play CB. I compare him to Glover Quin as Dion has played LB and nickle corner prior to moving back to safety 2013. 58 Tackles 5 INTs. Replaces McCain and maybe Manning 2015.

3c ILB/OLB Yawin Smallwood 6'3" 240 Connecticutt 118 T, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 9.5 for loss and defended 10 passes. Turns 22 Christmas & good motor and IMO could play OLB. Did not quit despite team record.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...015&genpos=ILB

4. NT Ryan Carrethers 6'2" Ark St 87 Ts, 8 TFL , 4 sacks

http://www.fox16.com/sports/story/Ca...k0e8J3Z0cgzv_w

5a OLB James Gayle 6'4" 255 Virgina Tech (almost went here for his teammate Taylor Hart).
http://firstroundgrade.com/2013/08/1...le-de-va-tech/
http://www.hokiesports.com/football/...yle_james.html

5b. RT JaWuan James 6'6" 318 Tennessee I like him better at right tackle than A. Richardson. He seems to never get beat. I'm unsure if Brennan Williams returns but this allows some cleaning out of tackles. Getting Cyril in second allows me to gamble James falls to here.
http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-foo..._jawuan00.html

6. Rb George Atkinson III 6'2" 220 4.48 Notre Dame 93/555 6 avg. As always ND's RBs hare the ball. 7/51 receiving.

7. CB Phillip Gaines 6' 185 Rice 4 INTs no one seems to have heard of him and TBH when I watch him he just seems steady. Low Risk high reward.
would love evans on this team. BUT, i think it would set us back one year. we have other bigger needs than wr.

hundley-i dont think he comes out, and if he does, no way he gets to 25.

richardson-like the pick
purifoy-really like this pick, but i can see him going late 1st, and definitely in the 2nd.
the other guys i have heard of but am not too familiar with
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
would love evans on this team. BUT, i think it would set us back one year. we have other bigger needs than wr.

hundley-i dont think he comes out, and if he does, no way he gets to 25.

richardson-like the pick
purifoy-really like this pick, but i can see him going late 1st, and definitely in the 2nd.
the other guys i have heard of but am not too familiar with
Please identify how Evans sets us back one year if all players above are drafted. WR of his size and skills behind the new oline would give QB many advantages + benefit AJ. Not crapping on you but if you have not watched JaWuan James for example how do you know if he cannot resolve our need at right tackle? What is the bigger need that you mention that is not resolved by this draft?

Regarding Hundley: "It is likely that Hundley would receive a second day evaluation, though it would not be out of the question that he could work his way in to the top 15 of the draft after private workouts and interviews with teams around the league." http://fansided.com/author/joshsanchez/

and: "While Hundley's talent is obvious, so too is his inexperience. Saturday's tilt in Lincoln was just his 16th career start and his lack of polish showed with the quarterback appearing tentative when the pocket collapsed around him. Hundley was officially sacked three times but in each case the Bruins' offensive line gave him an opportunity to scan the field and he was taken down after simply holding the ball too long. Hundley does not yet show the awareness and timing in the pocket he'll need to have long-term success in the NFL" http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_bru...r-should-he-go

and: "Most pundits and draftniks have Hundley as a likely second round draft pick, and many seem to think that an additional year might put him in the running for a first round grade." http://ctownrivals.com/2013/12/11/sh...the-nfl-draft/

Purifoy is rated all over the board and may move up with great combine. He just gambles a lot but you may be righ on him. Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-12-2013   #30
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please identify how Evans sets us back one year if all players above are drafted. WR of his size and skills behind the new oline would give QB many advantages + benefit AJ. Not crapping on you but if you have not watched JaWuan James for example how do you know if he cannot resolve our need at right tackle? What is the bigger need that you mention that is not resolved by this draft?

Regarding Hundley: "It is likely that Hundley would receive a second day evaluation, though it would not be out of the question that he could work his way in to the top 15 of the draft after private workouts and interviews with teams around the league." http://fansided.com/author/joshsanchez/

and: "While Hundley's talent is obvious, so too is his inexperience. Saturday's tilt in Lincoln was just his 16th career start and his lack of polish showed with the quarterback appearing tentative when the pocket collapsed around him. Hundley was officially sacked three times but in each case the Bruins' offensive line gave him an opportunity to scan the field and he was taken down after simply holding the ball too long. Hundley does not yet show the awareness and timing in the pocket he'll need to have long-term success in the NFL" http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_bru...r-should-he-go

and: "Most pundits and draftniks have Hundley as a likely second round draft pick, and many seem to think that an additional year might put him in the running for a first round grade." http://ctownrivals.com/2013/12/11/sh...the-nfl-draft/

Purifoy is rated all over the board and may move up with great combine. He just gambles a lot but you may be righ on him. Thanks for your comments.
id say we would be set back because hundley wouldnt be there. then we wouldnt have any qb and thus set back. but id be all over it if it turned out the way you say. there will be a run on qbs in the top 10, tex, jax, min, cle. if hundley declares he could be fighting for 2nd best qb. the kid has played 2 years and has TONS of potential. an erratic locker went 8. this kid will go top 10 if he comes out.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Understand the concern of missing if Hundley gone. However, I am still on Keenum bandwagon and would take McCarron who has shot up 30 spots, Bortles or Mettenburg in second.
Old 12-12-2013   #32
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understand the concern of missing if Hundley gone. However, I am still on Keenum bandwagon and would take McCarron who has shot up 30 spots, Bortles or Mettenburg in second.
yeah I'm with you on this one, although i think if bortles declares his going top 20, because he has information and otherwise he wouldn't declare.

i don't think hundley goes top 10 because he is still way to raw. but teams have reached for potential before so it could happen, doubtful though
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #33
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bortles ain't lasting till the second round. He could go first overall. If he declares he won't last past the top 7 or 8 picks.
Old 12-16-2013   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

For me the best about Bortles going high first round it offers more if Bridgewater returns to school.
Old 12-17-2013   #35
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For me the best about Bortles going high first round it offers more if Bridgewater returns to school.
It also gives us an additional trade back option if both declare.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It also gives us an additional trade back option if both declare.
See that concerns me, if there are more good QB options, I think it could lessen the trade we could get. Why trade up from Cleveland's spot if they can just take Bortles or Hundley. What make something valuable is not only it's worth but it's rarity. Sure if we can get a tremendous package for a team wanting TB for example and we still get one of the others at say #8. I doubt that happens. For now I can see Bortles 8-12 and Hundley late first early second.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read