Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans interested in Stanford HC David Shaw

Quote:
Among the candidates I know the Texans are interested in are former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, Stanford coach David Shaw and San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...aw-whisenhunt/

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

1995 Western Washington (LB)
1996 Western Washington (TE)
1997 Philadelphia Eagles (QC)
1998–2000 Oakland Raiders (QC)
2001 Oakland Raiders (QB)
2002–2004 Baltimore Ravens (QB/WR)
2005 Baltimore Ravens (WR)
2006 Univ. of San Diego (WR/QB)
2007–2009 Stanford (OC/WR)
2010 Stanford (OC/RB)
2011–present Stanford HC
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #2
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Stanford HC David Shaw

Shaw would be my favorite non-defensive coach to run with; my only concerns is that he runs a very 'punch 'em in the mouth' offense and I don't know how well we'd transition to that with our smaller linemen. Brown, Myers, and Brooks could transition, as well as maybe Quessenberry and Jones (though Jones would have to be the backup center/heir apparent to Myers rather than have them both on the line in five-man formations), but Newton, Smith (who is likely cut), and any of our depth guys like Kupper and that guy we got back from the Eagles might not fit.

That said, I'd be more than happy with Shaw.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be very good with this hire. He runs a very ugly, but effective offense at Stanford. A lot of that has to do with personnel though. I'm sure he'd have to convince Bob and Rick that he would find ways to involve AJ and maximize Hopkins potential. The running game would definitely be in good hands though.

Then it would boil down to who you have coaching on the defensive side of the ball. If Shwartz gets canned this year he may be a good DC hire to pair with Shaw. Someone that has some HC experience in the NFL.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Please! Please! Please! Let it be so. That said, I can't imagine David Shaw taking a job where he has to work for/with a GM who thru the previous coaching staff under the bus. The same can be said for any other high profile well regarded prospective head coach. I am expecting a retread or more average and ordinary. It's the Houston Texans way.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #5
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Please! Please! Please! Let it be so. That said, I can't imagine David Shaw taking a job where he has to work for/with a GM who thru the previous coaching staff under the bus. The same can be said for any other high profile well regarded prospective head coach. I am expecting a retread or more average and ordinary. It's the Houston Texans way.
You sound like a broken record.

I don't get this "threw him under the bus" mentality. Kubes had his chance and the NFL passed him by.

I'm not saying Rick Smith doesn't need to be fired also, but I don't think Kubiak was thrown under any bus, he needed to go.
Old 12-09-2013   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

I don't get this "threw him under the bus" mentality. Kubes had his chance and the NFL passed him by.

I'm not saying Rick Smith doesn't need to be fired also, but I don't think Kubiak was thrown under any bus, he needed to go.
I agree Kubiak needed to go, I have been saying wanting that for 3 years. That doesn't excuse the fact that Smith did in fact throw the coaching staff under the bus. You may think it's immaterial but I assure it hasn't gone unnoticed in the coaching community. It will be a factor with those coaches with high aspirations. In the back of any new perspective coach's mind, they will be thinking, anything that I do that this buffoon doesn't agree with or doesn't like he will be on the phone to Peter King and/or NFL Network trashing me and my coaches.
Old 12-09-2013   #7
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree Kubiak needed to go, I have been saying wanting that for 3 years. That doesn't excuse the fact that Smith did in fact throw the coaching staff under the bus. You may think it's immaterial but I assure it hasn't gone unnoticed in the coaching community. It will be a factor with those coaches with high aspirations. In the back of any new perspective coach's mind, they will be thinking, anything that I do that this buffoon doesn't agree with or doesn't like he will be on the phone to Peter King and/or NFL Network trashing me and my coaches.
The consensus around the NFL is that Kubiak's failure to coach up the talent, not the Texans' current level of talent, is why this team is the dumpster fire that it is. Talent evaluation is to the credit of the GM. Rick Smith gets credit for that. If anyone threw Kubiak under the bus, it was his own players. I'd never seen a more non-disciplined team in my life than what we witnessed on Thursday Night. The whole country was watching that debacle. That, more than anything else, ended Kubiak's season early.

This will be his first Kubiak-free draft. Let's see how he does.
Old 12-09-2013   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
The consensus around the NFL is that Kubiak's failure to coach up the talent, not the Texans' current level of talent, is why this team is the dumpster fire that it is. Talent evaluation is to the credit of the GM. Rick Smith gets credit for that. If anyone threw Kubiak under the bus, it was his own players. I'd never seen a more non-disciplined team in my life than what we witnessed on Thursday Night. The whole country was watching that debacle. That, more than anything else, ended Kubiak's season early.

This is not about Kubiak. As of Friday Kubiak is no longer a Houston Texan. A month ago Ian Rapoport reported this on the air and in print:

The interesting part of Rapoport's report is that he said the Texans' front office is "a bit frustrated" with Kubiak and the rest of his coaching staff.

The frustration stems from coaches having too much draft input and keeping stars on the field too long. Rapoport elaborated on the last point, saying that the front office believes the lack of a defensive-line rotation leads to wearing down late in games."

Simple Question: How do you convince a new perspective Head Coach that this is not going to happen to him and his coaching staff?
Old 12-09-2013   #9
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not about Kubiak. As of Friday Kubiak is no longer a Houston Texan. A month ago Ian Rapoport reported this on the air and in print:

The interesting part of Rapoport's report is that he said the Texans' front office is "a bit frustrated" with Kubiak and the rest of his coaching staff.

The frustration stems from coaches having too much draft input and keeping stars on the field too long. Rapoport elaborated on the last point, saying that the front office believes the lack of a defensive-line rotation leads to wearing down late in games."

Simple Question: How do you convince a new perspective Head Coach that this is not going to happen to him and his coaching staff?
This stuff happens all the time before a coach firing. Not a big deal if you do your job.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's simple. When you are winning and showing progress you will not hear complaints from FO. When you are on an 8 game losing streak (assuming that's about when the article was written) and have taken many big steps in the WRONG direction you will start to hear "suggestions" from the Brass.

This is nothing to new to the NFL. It doesn't mean they are throwing the coaching staff under the bus. To me, honestly, it shows that the FO is just as frustrated as the fans and this their way of letting us know that they see what is going on without coming out saying they are going to can him.

As said once before - winning cures everything. Progress certainly helps as well.
Old 12-09-2013   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So was that an inaccurate assessment?
I don't think it was.
How many games did we have a half-time lead only to see a tired defense give it up??
How many of us wonder why our pass rush was non-existent outside of J.J. Watt and the occasional Ninja sack?
Would a D-line kept fresh by more frequent rotation made our defense more effective? Who knows for sure. But the "front office" wasn't the only group wondering about it.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #12
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Question: How do you convince a new perspective Head Coach that this is not going to happen to him and his coaching staff?
You don't. It should be obvious to any experienced head coach that if he coaches a team down to an eleven game losing streak he will be thrown under the bus.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #13
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Were you even paying attention.

McNair threw Kubiak under the bus, if that's what you want to call firing someone.

I suspect McNair instructed Smith to just sit there and let me do the talking.

McNair was obviously pizzed at the teams performance in Jax, and anyone who opened their trap would have been shown the door along with Kubiak.

Smiths job now is to identify the quitters on the team and show them the door.

Old 12-09-2013   #14
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to be that guy, but Shaws resume isn't that impressive to me. 2 yrs calling plays and 1 as a head coach. That's it? What's the fascination? Did he inherit was Harbaugh left behind?
Old 12-09-2013   #15
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Hate to be that guy, but Shaws resume isn't that impressive to me. 2 yrs calling plays and 1 as a head coach. That's it? What's the fascination? Did he inherit was Harbaugh left behind?
The only thing that is impressive to me is that he sustained success after losing Luck. His offense is scary boring.
Old 12-09-2013   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

Look, Rick Smith isn't going anywhere anytime soon and you can approach this incontrovertible fact in one of two ways. You can ***** and moan about him deserving to be run out of town or you can hope that the man is a better GM without Gary Kubiak in the building than he was with Gary Kubiak in the building. The Texans did that whole Coach-GM hiring thing backwards and it put Smith in a position where he was required to be Gary Kubiak's yes man. At the same time he was often praised for finding talent right off the street when we had guys go down. there is some evidence that the man can do the job.

What do you want to do? I'm hoping he's going to be better going forward.
Old 12-09-2013   #17
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
He put together a hell of a season (2013) without the likes of Andrew Luck.

That's pretty good...not saying he should be crowned but I certainly think he is an "up and comer" when it comes to new, young head coaches.
Old 12-09-2013   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
So was that an inaccurate assessment?
I don't think it was.
How many games did we have a half-time lead only to see a tired defense give it up??
How many of us wonder why our pass rush was non-existent outside of J.J. Watt and the occasional Ninja sack?
Would a D-line kept fresh by more frequent rotation made our defense more effective? Who knows for sure. But the "front office" wasn't the only group wondering about it.
It may all be true, every bit of it. But why the need to discuss it in the National Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
You don't. It should be obvious to any experienced head coach that if he coaches a team down to an eleven game losing streak he will be thrown under the bus.
Sure but you don't take that situation and turn it into a situation where if there are 5-6 NFL head coaching jobs available your opening is only the 4th, 5th or 6th best job available because of your loose lipped GM trashed the coaching staff just to save his own job.
Old 12-09-2013   #19
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
He put together a hell of a season (2013) without the likes of Andrew Luck.

That's pretty good...not saying he should be crowned but I certainly think he is an "up and comer" when it comes to new, young head coaches.
I get that, but 1 year? I'd like to see a bigger body of work before committing the next 5 year's to the guy. Seems to me he just took Harbaughs last 2 recruiting classes and ran with it.

It's not like he built the program like let's say an Art Briles has. In 2 different schools. I mean think about it BAYLOR is ranked 6th in the country. That's crazy when that program was a laughingstock for decades. Same to a lesser extent what he did at UofH , brought them back to respectability. Just sayin'

I would prefer some NFL head coaching experience myself.
Old 12-09-2013   #20
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure but you don't take that situation and turn it into a situation where if there are 5-6 NFL head coaching jobs available your opening is only the 4th, 5th or 6th best job available because of your loose lipped GM trashed the coaching staff just to save his own job.
I think you're overdoing the smith factor here. I'm no fan (check the avatar), but I'm pretty sure this kind of politicking goes on every time a team goes into meltdown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
markn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read