Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2013   #1
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans reach out to Lovie Smith

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dbWWz

Sorry for being lazy and not posting article. Doing from phone.
Old 12-08-2013   #2
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans reach out to Lovie Smith

If we hire Smith, it will free up my Sundays for quite some time.

Texans wont be fit to watch ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #3
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post

Initially I wasn't thrilled about this but after digging into his past and reading up on him I think we can certainly do worse.

Still not my first choice...
Old 12-08-2013   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Never really heard of this consultant. He never made it in the coaching ranks beyond positional coaching, but has somehow managed to become the head of this supposedly respected "sports search" entity.

Quote:
Jed Hughes serves as vice chair and leader of executive search firm Korn/Ferry's global sports practice. He is a pioneer of senior-level search and organizational assessment in the world of sports. Jed's high profile placements include New York Jets GM John Idzik; Mark Murphy, CEO of the Green Bay Packers; Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12; Bob Bowlsby, Commissioner of the Big 12; Dave Brandon and Brady Hoke, the athletic director and the head coach of the Michigan Wolverines respectively. Jed has conducted searches for the USOC, LPGA, PGA of America, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Arsenal Football Club, Liverpool Football Club, Ohio State, ATP Tour, and Women’s Tennis Association, among others. Earlier in his career, Jed coached in pro and college football under five Hall of Fame coaches: Chuck Noll (Pittsburgh Steelers), Bud Grant (Minnesota Vikings), Bo Schembechler (Michigan), John Ralston (Stanford) and Terry Donahue (UCLA).

Jed holds a B.A. from Gettysburg College, an M.A. from Stanford, and a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan with a focus on organizational behavior. He has written white papers that include: "Succession Planning – The Retail Black Hole,” "An Old Game with New Challenges - Leadership at a Crossroads in Intercollegiate Sports,” and “Survival in the Sports Entertainment Business: The New Darwinism?”
link

Sanford......Hmmmmmm........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #5
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Supposedly in another thread, Mike Shanahan is considered if he is fired in Washington. I'd rather take Lovie between the two.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #6
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Supposedly in another thread, Mike Shanahan is considered if he is fired in Washington. I'd rather take Lovie between the two.
I will be pretty upset if shanny comes to Houston. I think the game has passed his style of offense up (I.e. Kubiak's style as well).
Old 12-08-2013   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah watching a team coached by a guy that took a team to a SB and deep into the playoffs would just be way to difficult. Join the Cowboys then or follow Kubes wherever he goes.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2013   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Lovie meets the Rooney Rule requirement, at worst. I just think there will be higher profile candidates. I will be watching with keen interest when the CBS pregame show discusses the opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Stanford......Hmmmmmm........
Also has ties with Pittsburgh......hmmmm.......
Old 12-08-2013   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans hire Lovie Smith, pretty much assures that Wade Phillips will be gone.... that's a good thing in my mind
Old 12-08-2013   #10
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Ya know, as long as he brings Kyle along..that might work. Shanahan still has fire...by the way he turns red and the veins in his neck swell up, he still has it, and his son can always take the reins after Mike's had enough of it all.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Another name to keep an eye on: Rapoport was told that Kevin Sumlin will receive attention from Houston brass. The Texas A&M coach recently agreed to a six-year deal with the Aggies, but he hasn't officially signed it.
That's kinda interesting. Sounds like no more Mr Nice guy from McNair.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I like Lovie Smith a lot more than I like the Chin or Chucky. Those two will bring a three ring affair with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
Ya know, as long as he brings Kyle along..that might work. Shanahan still has fire...by the way he turns red and the veins in his neck swell up, he still has it, and his son can always take the reins after Mike's had enough of it all.
Uh... if we're thinking about our next coaches' future replacement before we even hire him... we're barking up the wrong tree.
Old 12-08-2013   #13
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If the Texans hire Lovie Smith, pretty much assures that Wade Phillips will be gone.... that's a good thing in my mind
Good point.
Old 12-08-2013   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I would hope - and I believe - Wade is gone regardless, but I understand what you're saying. We need as fresh a start as we can get.
Old 12-08-2013   #15
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Texans reach out to Lovie Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Another name to keep an eye on: Rapoport was told that Kevin Sumlin will receive attention from Houston brass. The Texas A&M coach recently agreed to a six-year deal with the Aggies, but he hasn't officially signed it.
Hope this wrong. Shows McNair is a bigger dumbass than I thought.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #16
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Why all the love for Sumlin? The guy is the college level Gruden, taking over a built up roster from Briles and then just putting it on cruise control. Everything he learned he learned from Briles, I'd rather just go for the tree than a fruit off of it.
Old 12-08-2013   #17
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Why all the love for Sumlin? The guy is the college level Gruden, taking over a built up roster from Briles and then just putting it on cruise control. Everything he learned he learned from Briles, I'd rather just go for the tree than a fruit off of it.
I want nothing to do with Sumlin. Not saying he's a bad coach just saying he hasn't mastered the college level yet. He's tasted minimal success with a phenomenal QB. It will be telling what he does next season with JF.
Old 12-08-2013   #18
guichows6
Rookie

God I hope not. NO TO LOVE SMITH!! We need s young up and coming coach. I do much about David Shaw, but I hear he could be the next great young coach.
Old 12-08-2013   #19
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Sumlin's contract has been signed, happened the day after the mizzou game. Just hasn't been ratified by the board of regents.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Rappaport and Mr. Hand are just flinging monkey poo to see what sticks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read