Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #21
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grantland's Latest Take on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
Did you see his game last thursday?

Teddy is absolutely a franchise QB:

1) The guy strives to be a "coach on the field"
2) There's not a bad hair on his head
3) He runs a pro style offense at lville
4) Capable of reading defenses and making adjustments at the LOS
5) Makes ALL the throws
6) Throws his WR's open
7) Natural leader
8) Uncanny pocket awareness
9) Keeps his eyes downfield while side stepping pass rush
10) Makes plays when the play called breaks down
11) Goes through progressions
12) 4.5-4.6 speed
13) Pocket passer first
14) Ice water in his veins
15) Football junkie
16) Film junkie
17) Understands football
18) Great dude, Great citizen, Face of Franchise type player

I have studied him extensively over the past 1.5 years. He's the real deal. I cannot wait to see #5 Teddy Bridgewater in a Texans uniform.
I like Bridgewater too but man I wish Jameis Winston was a year older. I was comparing the two and that kid is unreal. No 19 year old should be that good. Bridgewater is a very good prospect but Winston is up there with Luck and Manning.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #22
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not sure why people keep saying this about the RGIII trade. The trade is not far off by the chart. Future picks are downgraded a round per year conventionally.
Fair enough. If someone is willing to make that type trade then you bite their arm off. This team is well more than just a QB shy of being good.
Old 12-07-2013   #23
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linca View Post
What makes you think Bridgewater is the answer? He has not looked impressive in a lot of his starts including; UH, Memphis, Rutgers and Cincinnati. I don't get this Teddy fever. If you were to take any the other 1st or 2nd round quarterbacks and play those same teams it would be a total blow out.

He plays in the AAC, these are NOT GOOD DEFENSES IN COLLEGE. He has had one good victory over Florida but he has really regressed since then.
I sort of like Bridgewater, myself. But my daughter, who is not a member, wants me to post her opinion:

"Quarterback should be a high priority. But I have a couple of misgivings about Teddy.
1. Guys named Ted are so often unspeakably evil criminals.
2. Black quarterbacks in the NFL have usually been inconsistent."
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #24
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I sort of like Bridgewater, myself. But my daughter, who is not a member, wants me to post her opinion:

"Quarterback should be a high priority. But I have a couple of misgivings about Teddy.
hm, your daughter should probably keep that to herself.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #25
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's profiling
Old 12-07-2013   #26
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6349 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So, you're daughter is a racist...
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #27
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Counterpoint:

1) Presidents named Teddy have been amazing 100% of the time, so we're good there

2) You should show her clips of Warren Moon and Cunningham :P
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Franchise QB trumps franchise DL right?
If Bridgewater was a franchise QB.

I dont believe he is. Manziel is better than Bridgewater. IMHO. I dont want the Texans to draft Manziel either. 1-1 makes me say pass on Bridgewater. Take Clowney at 1-1, and Mettenberger or Murray who have just as much talent as Bridgewater. They're just coming off injury.

Tell me arm strength wise, being able to read defenses, played against far better competition, what makes Bridgewater 2rds better than Bridgewater. I understand the need for a franchise QB, but no need to reach for one. Especially with guys like Clowney/Barr on the board.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #29
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Bridgewater was a franchise QB.

I dont believe he is. Manziel is better than Bridgewater. IMHO. I dont want the Texans to draft Manziel either. 1-1 makes me say pass on Bridgewater. Take Clowney at 1-1, and Mettenberger or Murray who have just as much talent as Bridgewater. They're just coming off injury.

Tell me arm strength wise, being able to read defenses, played against far better competition, what makes Bridgewater 2rds better than Bridgewater. I understand the need for a franchise QB, but no need to reach for one. Especially with guys like Clowney/Barr on the board.
i don't know about barr, but there is absolutely zero chance the texans take clowney 1.1

additionally, you are smoking crack if you think mettenschaub and murray have "as much talent as Bridgewater".
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #30
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell me arm strength wise, being able to read defenses, played against far better competition, what makes Bridgewater 2rds better than Bridgewater.
I agree. I don't think Bridgewater is 2 rounds better than Bridgewater.
Old 12-07-2013   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Counterpoint:

1) Presidents named Teddy have been amazing 100% of the time, so we're good there

2) You should show her clips of Warren Moon and Cunningham :P
Is it racist to ask to see Moon/Cunningham's rings?

BTW, that's not why I dont like Bridgewater, 1. Arm strength, 2. Some avg performances against teams like UH.
Old 12-07-2013   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I agree. I don't think Bridgewater is 2 rounds better than Bridgewater.
Will edit, For whatever reason that's the only post in thread that I am unable to edit. I guess the mods have a sense of humor.

Dyslexia at its finest.
Old 12-07-2013   #33
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of the belief we need to see about trading down. There isn't a sure-fire, can't miss #1 overall guy. I think Case and Yates can get it done next year if we shore up what we left hanging by letting too many guys go. If we can get Jake Matthews at 5 or 6 and another ILB or a good DE or CB later in the first I'd be happy.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure why people keep saying this about the RGIII trade. The trade is not far off by the chart. Future picks are downgraded a round per year conventionally.
Mega trades involving multiple picks are very rare, so the so-called chart value is irrelevant. Teams willing to part with all this stuff are not that common unless the prospect is considered to be overused 'can't miss." I can't remember the last deal involving the 1st overall pick (Rivers/Eli maybe), but unless Bridgewater is rated higher than I think, while the best QB in this draft the chances of an RGIII are less than 10%, imo.
Old 12-07-2013   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Will edit, For whatever reason that's the only post in thread that I am unable to edit. I guess the mods have a sense of humor.

Dyslexia at its finest.
No clue what the problem is other than there is a time limit on how long you can edit. What do you want it to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Mega trades involving multiple picks are very rare, so the so-called chart value is irrelevant. Teams willing to part with all this stuff are not that common unless the prospect is considered to be overused 'can't miss." I can't remember the last deal involving the 1st overall pick (Rivers/Eli maybe), but unless Bridgewater is rated higher than I think, while the best QB in this draft the chances of an RGIII are less than 10%, imo.
I agree the key is whether Bridgewater is as highly coveted and big trades are rare. Likely not.

I hardly think a trade which is darn near spot on with the chart shows the chart to be irrelevant.

Now the Giants overpaid by the chart.
Old 12-07-2013   #36
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Can't tell if joking or not.
Old 12-07-2013   #37
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No clue what the problem is other than there is a time limit on how long you can edit. What do you want it to say?

I agree the key is whether Bridgewater is as highly coveted and big trades are rare. Likely not.

I hardly think a trade which is darn near spot on with the chart shows the chart to be irrelevant.

Now the Giants overpaid by the chart.
From what I can tell (no linkage) more teams than not don't use that chart (floated around the internet for years now) at all and that nego. trade for RGIII being close was happenstance. other words, I don't think a good measure when evaluating trades any more.
Old 12-07-2013   #38
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is it racist to ask to see Moon/Cunningham's rings?
I see you've edited this, so I'll let it slide for now..
Old 12-07-2013   #39
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoy Bill's writing.

My biggest issue with this analysis is that without knowing head coach, new way of doing business, hard to speak intelligently about the Texans future:

Things the piece ignores:

1. Problems with the GM. If you don't have a QB, you are dead in the water. If you have an average to below average GM, it's like having no good QB. Who knows what sort of GM Rick Smith will be once the rest of the more experienced Denver cartel has left the building? Theoretically, he could be better, but we have no evidence that training wheels off Rick Smith would be good at all. Dead.

2. If you have issues at GM, it puts a lot more pressure on getting the right head coach and assistant staff. We have no idea what direction they go.

3. QB changes are huge risk/reward propositions and hard to project. To hit at QB, you need 1 right guy, 2 right HC, OC, scheme, 3 good players around him to help development, 4 injury luck, in particular not getting injured during the learning process. We've mostly seen downside of QB development with the Texans, but that doesn't mean that is the only option. Just means that it is hard to project one way or another without knowing more details and actually seeing performance on the field. Picking high increases the chances of finding a guy who hits but we all know that it isn't a lock.

4. Some of the core players for the Texans are aging/declining/may be departing. Some players projected to be core players haven't produced yet--do they produce with better coaching. more experience? Don't know. Wade has had success with the DT, OLB position in other places. Not so much here other than moving JJ inside. Very few players having great years.

So in sum, I don't think we know enough now to be optimistic. (I wasn't terribly happy with some of the content of the presser--too much unprofessional Jerrah Bob, over-optimistic talk that suggests he's learned nothing from this experience). You'd think that even a below average team would have better turnover luck than the Texans did this year, and all that regression to mean blah blah stuff, but with the transition to whatever is the new coaching, who knows if it is a positive result or not until we see it.

Some teams turn it around right away. Some teams slog around for a long time with broken ways of doing things.
Old 12-07-2013   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
From what I can tell (no linkage) more teams than not don't use that chart (floated around the internet for years now) at all and that nego. trade for RGIII being close was happenstance. other words, I don't think a good measure when evaluating trades any more.
From what I can tell (also no linkage) teams stopped using the chart for the top of the draft when the salaries got ridiculous but now that the contracts are held to something reasonable for the top of the 1st round it is back in use again. Not saying anyone is using it as a bible as it was always meant as a guide.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read