Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-03-2014   #161
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kiper 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I have this feeling we're going to be a bit blindsided by who OB tabs at QB if we go elsewhere at 1-1. I'm not seeing Garopolo.

Breeland I highlighted as a later round pick. Perhaps he'll rise, but I'd like to see who's available there at 3-1. I do like adding a CB. I'd draft one every year.

Kiper is becoming more annoying, as he does when drafts approach. Everything has to be to the nth degree -- screaming louder, future Hall of Famer, total bust... headline seeking adjectives. Pish.
Who are you thinking? The only QB that could blind side me would be Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #162
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Just you wait! You'll see... Mel-Hair-Gel is smart!!
Remember how he right he was about Reggie Bush

...oh wait...

Well, he's better with QBs. what about how he called Brady Quinn being a superstar! Yeah, that's the guy he was real high on...

...oh crap...no wait...

ummm... just gimme a minute...

remember that time when Mel said that, heh, heh, that JaMarcus Russell would become an elite, top 5 QB for the Raiders with in his first 3 years?

Remember...remember that?

That was awesome....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubYpplmzVk
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #163
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I don't know, just have a feeling OB will surprise us.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #164
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
If Carr is there at 2.1 you take him ... no brainer from a strictly football perspective. He has genuine exceptional arm talent and ... this just in ... he is not his brother. I am of the thought though that even David could have been a very good if not great QB except he was thrown to the wolves behind a horrible line, and then there is the Chris Palmer factor.

I think he was so shell shocked after the first year or two he never recovered mentally. We will never know what he could of been in my opinion, and based on talent alone I would give his little brother a chance.

If Carr is there at 2.1 you have to take him ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #165
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
If Carr is there at 2.1 you take him ... no brainer from a strictly football perspective. He has genuine exceptional arm talent and ... this just in ... he is not his brother. I am of the thought though that even David could have been a very good if not great QB except he was thrown to the wolves behind a horrible line, and then there is the Chris Palmer factor.

I think he was so shell shocked after the first year or two he never recovered mentally. We will never know what he could of been in my opinion, and based on talent alone I would give his little brother a chance.

If Carr is there at 2.1 you have to take him ...
#1 - it ain't happening.

#2 - there are a lot of key similarities to his brother. He does some things better - better long ball placement and he knows not to run out of bounds behind the LOS. Overall they are very similar on and more importantly off the field. Both big arms and athletic but not smart on the move. Both feel pressure early and check down frequently. Like his brother he is coming into the NFL with a full on family and it appears like his brother they are likely to turn out to be the focus of his life over football. He also has the societal "be apart from the world" issues which kept David from being tight with the team.

His talent isn't sufficient to have him sniffing the top of the draft and together with his family issues and team history his talent isn't enough to separate him from other options who don't carry such concerns. I'd rather have an 80% guy who is 100% committed than a 100% guy who is 80% committed.
Old 04-04-2014   #166
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'd rather have an 80% guy who is 100% committed than a 100% guy who is 80% committed.
I can see that train of thought.

You and I differ on the family aspect, because as someone who was married very young, sometimes it gives you a motivation like no other to succeed ... for your family. I do however see your point that it would probably prevent him from being a part of off the field things that leads to a closer relationship with teammates.

Mute point because he wont be there. Someone will take him in the 1st. I wouldn't mind seeing us wait until a later round and try the kid from LSU. To me in this draft you either hit or miss. No QB worth 1.1 unless you believe JFF will be the same in the NFL as he was in college. All the others IMO are six of one and a half dozen of another when it comes to whether or not they will be productive NFL quality talent.
Old 04-04-2014   #167
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

moot
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2014   #168
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I can see that train of thought.

You and I differ on the family aspect, because as someone who was married very young, sometimes it gives you a motivation like no other to succeed ... for your family. I do however see your point that it would probably prevent him from being a part of off the field things that leads to a closer relationship with teammates.
You're missing the whole point. I don't know if you were around here during the Carr years, but that was a big topic of debate. He needed to get better. Somehow or another the idea was getting passed around here, that instead of being the first in & first out, he was at home with the wife & kids being a good dad.

The two need not be mutually exclusive. I'm sure if you ask Peyton or Brees, they'll tell you they put family before football. But for them, being the best they can be (whether we're talking about being a QB, keeping your word, delivering for your teammates, whatever) is doing it for their family.

& if you haven't learned yet, you will soon find out it's not about quantity, it's quality. Spending time with your kids, doing things with your family, being a part of their lives... it's more about the quality of the time you spend with them, not the quantity. Getting both... great.

But we're talking about football. 6 months out of the year, we want him to be the best football player he can be. The other six months he can spend exclusively with the wife & kids for all I care.

And a big part of the Carr family thing is the dad, Roger (I think). He's going to be part of the package deal & if David doesn't get a gig, so will he. That's the kind of circus I don't want.
Old 04-04-2014   #169
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You're missing the whole point.
Need to get your ESP fixed ... Since you just described exactly what I meant.

David may not have spent the time, but that doesn't mean Derek wont ... THAT was my point.

Having a family for David apparently meant being at home with them. Having a family for some (like myself) means sacrificing every waking hour to perfect your craft so that you and your family may reap the rewards of that dedication and hard work down the line. Maybe Derek goes about it in that manner after watching what happened to his brother. Does anyone really think after what happened to David, that Roger will act the same way or that Derek will follow the same path? That really makes no sense to me.
Old 04-04-2014   #170
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I wouldn't mind Derek Carr at 2-1 too much. He's not my first choice and frankly, it would be hard for me to expect good things from him.

I don't want him in the first round and I'd really prefer someone like Garoppolo or Mettenberger even with their shortcomings.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #171
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does anyone really think after what happened to David, that Roger will act the same way or that Derek will follow the same path? That really makes no sense to me.

What have your seen or what makes you think he won't?
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #172
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
What have your seen or what makes you think he won't?
What have you seen that makes you think he will?

You been keeping up with him since DC left?

C'mon people ... at least try and ask intelligent questions.
Old 04-04-2014   #173
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Personally, I wouldn't mind Derek Carr at 2-1 too much. He's not my first choice and frankly, it would be hard for me to expect good things from him.

I don't want him in the first round and I'd really prefer someone like Garoppolo or Mettenberger even with their shortcomings.
Been watching some footage on Tom Savage, kid has got a gun and has the size...The accuracy seems to be his big knock...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #174
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What have you seen that makes you think he will?

You been keeping up with him since DC left?

C'mon people ... at least try and ask intelligent questions.
I was asking a question because you made an assertion as if it was fact. Stop throwing spitballs because you think you are so intelligent. Back up your statements with something resembling intelligence instead of acting like no one has a clue because they may or may not agree with you. I never asserted my opinion one way or the other. Just asking for you to back up yours. Is that so hard for you?
Brain Cushing
Old 04-04-2014   #175
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Derek Carr.

Aside from the physical tools, I watched some clips and some interviews of him and he seems to be a little less 'smiley' than David. He seems more serious. Seems like he's passionate about becoming a great QB.

I watched a highlight video and I saw him leading the team before the game...getting them ready to play.

I don't think of David when I see him. Aside from the physical tools.

I think Derek absolutely can be more productive than David ever was. Eli isn't Peyton and Derek isn't David. Marcus isn't Michael.

Matter of fact...look at your siblings. I'm pretty sure most have brothers or sisters with different strengths/weaknesses than them.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #176
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I'm pretty sure most have brothers or sisters with different strengths/weaknesses than them.
No one in my family has weaknesses.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #177
JB
Old Curmudgeon

From a link Arlington Texan posted in another thread

Quote:
Derek Carr, 6-2, 215, Fresno State

“He’s a system guy; that’s it,” the NFC personnel man said. “No, he’s not as good as is brother (David, a No. 1 pick of Houston in 2002).”

“He’s tougher than his brother,” the AFC executive said. “He can be a starter in the league.”

“Not bad,” the NFC scout said. “But not as good as his brother.”
link
Brain Cushing
Old 04-04-2014   #178
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do think Derek is tougher than David. But I don't think he is as talented.

Not sure which combo leads to a better career.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #179
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I was asking a question because you made an assertion as if it was fact. Stop throwing spitballs because you think you are so intelligent. Back up your statements with something resembling intelligence instead of acting like no one has a clue because they may or may not agree with you. I never asserted my opinion one way or the other. Just asking for you to back up yours. Is that so hard for you?
Asking someone to back up what? That someone may or may not behave in a certain manner?

Let me see if I can find the Roger Carr's Psychological State link ... or possibly that new report Behaviorism in Modern Society Details Roger Carr ...

How can anyone back up an opinion that "maybe" that family learned from David's failure?

Funny ...
Old 04-04-2014   #180
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Asking someone to back up what? That someone may or may not behave in a certain manner?

Let me see if I can find the Roger Carr's Psychological State link ... or possibly that new report Behaviorism in Modern Society Details Roger Carr ...

How can anyone back up an opinion that "maybe" that family learned from David's failure?

Funny ...
It isn't unreasonable to ask for any reason or evidence for why you think he has changed. Sounds like the answer is you hope he has.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read