Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #141
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

1A. David Shaw 1B. Jimbo Fisher 3. Darrell Bevell

FWIW part of the reason ( and a big part) why Saban left Miami is because of limited control he had on selecting and drafting players he wanted.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #142
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'd be fine with Lovie too, but he can't pick his OC, you have to have somebody who can do that for him.
How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.
Old 12-06-2013   #143
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.
I believe he ran a 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense and will most certainly understand how to move key players around and utilize them to the fullest.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #144
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.
I agree but I wanted to throw something out. I've been saying all day what you just did because most people I know here in Chicago have told me they loved Lovie..,nice guy, players love him... Basically a better coach than Kubes. Same mold and demeanor. So got them to a SB but issues with hiring OC and being conservative. BUT one of my closest coworkers who lives and breathes Bears wrote me an email that said "Lovie can be a pretty tough guy behind the scenes,main failing with Lovie was not having a grasp of offense." So not a lot different but was adamant in follow ups that tougher behind closed doors. Though that was a Kubes rumor too. I still think there is better out there. I think OBrien...nfl experience and college HC would be better
Old 12-06-2013   #145
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the press conference again, I was struck by McNair's criteria for the next HC.

I think he substantially limits the field by requiring both NFL and head coaching experience. Also says a lot about Rick Smith's role in the organization which looks like glorified "yes man.".

Almost guarantees he's going with Lovie IMO.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #146
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

What's Holmgren doing these days?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #147
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
After watching the press conference again, I was struck by McNair's criteria for the next HC.

I think he substantially limits the field by requiring both NFL and head coaching experience. Also says a lot about Rick Smith's role in the organization which looks like glorified "yes man.".

Almost guarantees he's going with Lovie IMO.
I had the impression that he would very much prefer those qualities, but he's a smart enough owner to not limit himself. I was more concerned with his statements about this not being a long rebuilding period; I'd hate to see him go from hand-offs with the team to the second coming of Jerry.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2013   #148
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I had the impression that he would very much prefer those qualities, but he's a smart enough owner to not limit himself. I was more concerned with his statements about this not being a long rebuilding period; I'd hate to see him go from hand-offs with the team to the second coming of Jerry.
I feel the same way, but (and of course I don't know the man personally, so I'm just spitballing) I feel like he is a different personality type from Jerry. If he does go Jerry, though.... we're in for a long ride.
Old 12-06-2013   #149
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
asshat
Just wondering if he's now had his first HC gig blow up in his face and learned from it.

Belichick was considered an asshat by many after his time in Cleveland. Next go around he was to say the least "improved".
Old 12-06-2013   #150
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair should throw a ****load if money at nick saban.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #151
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
McNair should throw a ****load if money at nick saban.
Hasn't he already failed miserably as a HC in the NFL?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #152
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Hasn't he already failed miserably as a HC in the NFL?
Failed miserably? I don't think so.

Left ungracefully? Sure.

I'd love to have saban though. To me he is a head coach. Not a glorified coordinator. He's a head coach.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #153
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Saban would coach for a year or so and then jettison to coach Bowling Green to a national championship.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #154
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

No retreads (like Lovie Smith, Tom "Skinhead" Cable, M. Shanahan, The Walrus, etc.) Although Gruden or Cowher would be entertaining as hell.

Go young and smart. Someone the players will listen to and maybe even learn from.

Screw Saban. Monumental egos need not apply.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #155
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
..Belichick was considered an asshat by many after his time in Cleveland...
He still is.

But he's become a helluva coach.
Old 12-06-2013   #156
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I got worried for a moment and started to think I might be completely wrong, until I read the http://bleacherreport.com on the link and have decided to not only NOT click this link, but dismiss this argument altogether.
So because it was Bleacher report you just chunked it without evaluating or offering a thought out rebuttal with your opinion?
Old 12-06-2013   #157
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
...It'll probably be Lovie...
What exactly makes him more attractive than other prospects?

And so what if he's from Texas? Who cares?

That's just the kind of provincial, local-yokel thinking that needs to be discarded.

Strange that McNair would get caught up in whether this guy or that guy is from Texas, considering he's from Florida.
Old 12-06-2013   #158
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Default Re: A Strong choice?

Interesting name tossed around on steelernation.com, of all places:

Louisville HC Charlie Strong.

Maybe a Strong-Bridgewater package.

Not bad.
Old 12-06-2013   #159
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I doubt someone like Horton would see what Watt is capable and think that he should rush the passer less. Frankly, nothing guarantees that wouldn't happen with another coach, and I'd rather a guy with a proven track record like Horton.

EDIT: Also, Bleacher Report, dude.
i try to read all info including that of posters...like you. more info better. If I disagree, I discard.
Old 12-06-2013   #160
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. I failed. May God have mercy on my soul.
nah just put yourself on a timeout.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read