Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #121
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Here's a current picture of him.

It kills me that we're talking about a candidate's hair, but we all know that McNair would never hire a guy that doesn't have a conventional hairstyle. I'm guessing Rob Ryan will get zero mentions as well.
I'd recommend that you and everyone here check Youtube for videos of this guy; very cerebral thinker.

EDIT: Here is a video of Horton being interviewed before Cleveland's training camp opening.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #122
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Whoever we get MUST tailor their coaching to our strengths. Anyone that would implement anything that diminishes JJ Watt as the best defensive player in football, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, etc is a non-starter.

We have some special players. Keep them special.
One of the most talked about reasons for bringing Wade here was that he adapted his scheme to his players and put them in position to succeed.

You want more of that?

I'd prefer a coach that recognizes and utilizes that talent. The only thing they MUST do is win
Old 12-06-2013   #123
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I'd recommend that you and everyone here check Youtube for videos of this guy; very cerebral thinker.
I've seen the video on this page where he talks about Dick LeBeau's influence on him. I'd hire him just based on that.

I think McNair should send a plane to Pittsburgh to pick him up as soon as the final whistle blows on December 29. I'm pretty sure the Browns don't have a prayer of getting in the playoffs no matter how solid his defense is.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #124
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm dead against the idea of ruling candidates out on the basis that we've hired guys with similar CVs previously and it hasn't worked out.

If the CV is good enough to get the man to interview, base the decision on what he says he sees our team becoming under his stewardship.

How excited does he get about JJ Watt and Cushing, does he see talent at the starting positions in the secondary that he can work with and get turned around.

On offence do we need 10 new linemen or can he tailor his scheme to what we already have?

It's questions like this that will decide whether we are back in playoff contention next year or have a .500 record over the next 5 years, not whether a guy comes in as a talented OC like Kubes did.

Of course as fans we can only speculate to what people might want to do.

For instance if a guy is running a great D with an O minded HC, we'd value that, but we don't really know for sure whether he's a better candidate than anyone else on the list.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #125
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I've seen the video on this page where he talks about Dick LeBeau's influence on him. I'd hire him just based on that.

I think McNair should send a plane to Pittsburgh to pick him up as soon as the final whistle blows on December 29. I'm pretty sure the Browns don't have a prayer of getting in the playoffs no matter how solid his defense is.
Thanks for the link; I'd seen it before, but I'd love to get Horton's name out more.

And I agree; Horton wants a head coaching job, and waiting for another team to grab him would be a terrible idea. In that way, starting the search now is a blessing.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #126
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw Bill Cowher and Chuckie Gruden those guys being away from the game has turned some of the posters here having a nostalgia for them. You would want Gruden gone by year three just from drafting alone. Cowher I don't know what to expect since it's been so long for him. Why not all this clamoring for Brian Billick? He won a superbowl too.

Shaw sounds interesting (although really two coaches from the same school, something tells me one of them won't be as good as the other, and it'd be the second if I had to bet on it), don't really like the idea of Bevell, or Knapp as an OC (Knapp as an OC would be the worst thing this team could do).

I'd be fine with Lovie too, but he can't pick his OC, you have to have somebody who can do that for him.
Old 12-06-2013   #127
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. I failed. May God have mercy on my soul.
Meh - blame it on the internet. =)
Old 12-06-2013   #128
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

When an owner fires an offensive guy they usually replace him with a defensive guy and vice versa. It'll probably be Lovie...which is fine as long as we also hire a good OC take 100% control of the offense (ala Phillips with Kubiak after 2010).

Whatever happens, I DO NOT want Gruden. The last thing we need going into preseason 2014 is 15 scrub QBs on the roster battling for least worst.
Old 12-06-2013   #129
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
And there's plenty of college guys who've sucked in the NFL. The list is probably just as large, if not more so.

As for your second point, I insinuated no such thing. I just think he's unproven and that there are more proven options out there. I don't know if he'll be successful, but it's chancy any time you take a guy from college. He could be Jimmy Johnson. He could also be Nick Saban.
He's proven himself as an NFL assistant, college assistant and college HC. The only position he hasn't proven himself in is NFL HC. Based on his resume, I am willing to give him that opportunity.

He's also a Stanford grad, FWIW.
Old 12-06-2013   #130
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't study NFL coaches as much as others appear to do. However, I'm going to go with Jon Gruden. He stirs up so much negative passion around here that he must have a lot going for him.
Old 12-06-2013   #131
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Saban had minimal NFL experience. Shaw has mainly NFL experience plus grew up in NFL locker rooms. Not the same situation.
False. Saban was the lbs coach with parcells with giants.Saban was also on belicheks staff in cleveland. Saban also had success at mich st,lso,and now bama. What are you talking about
Old 12-06-2013   #132
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
David Shaw is the top of my list, but all indications are that he's happy at Stanford and considers it his lifelong "dream job".
I'm afraid I agree with both points. He seems to be his own man. With all his family ties there and his "dream job" he doesn't seem to be a person who would chase the all mighty dollar nor the prestige of being an NFL HC. He seems too damn happy where he is but he's still my first choice. I can say though I think he's certainly "Texans Worthy".

Are we David Shaw worthy?

That's the man I wanna see on the sideline on Sundays.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #133
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter who the coach is- if the organization doesn't have better accountability and intelligence. To see Rick Smith palm the failed draft picks on the coaching means that he is either admitting he is a complete puppet, a weakling, or both.

Great, I don't want the new head coach learning how to be a head coach on the job, either, but that is basically what we have had with Smith AS THE GENERAL MANAGER. I'll grant you that Smith has mastered the art of organizational politics, but I see absolutely no progress in the actual business of making shrewd football decisions. He takes all the credit for good moves and none of the blame for the mistakes. At least Kubiak was a man.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #134
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
One of the most talked about reasons for bringing Wade here was that he adapted his scheme to his players and put them in position to succeed.

You want more of that?
YES!! But someone who is better at it than Wade. Seriously some of the crap being posted here is rediculous. First, don't hire a head coach who's won a Super Bowl now don't hire a coach that adjust his scheme to fit the players strengths.
Old 12-06-2013   #135
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
False. Saban was the lbs coach with parcells with giants.Saban was also on belicheks staff in cleveland. Saban also had success at mich st,lso,and now bama. What are you talking about
In fairness, infantry said minimal. Secondly, Saban did not coach with Parcells. That was Bill Belichek who was the linebackers coach on the Giants. Saban was a defensive back coach. He had a year with the Oilers as a DB coach and then the 3 years as defensive coach with Belichek in Cleveland. That is it. I would call that minimal. Saban is part of Belichek's coach tree and Chek part of Parcells.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #136
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
YES!! But someone who is better at it than Wade. Seriously some of the crap being posted here is rediculous. First, don't hire a head coach who's won a Super Bowl now don't hire a coach that adjust his scheme to fit the players strengths.

There is no "better than wade" option. He's the best at it. Dude's defenses have done this for decades. 1st year, they look like the 85 bears & by his last year they look like the 2010 texans. That more than anything should tell you that adjusting your scheme to fit your players strengths needs to be minimal b/c ultimately good teams/qbs find out what you can't do well & they force you to do it.

Instead of hoping to find a guy who adjusts his scheme to fit his players' strengths you should want a coach who finds players that fit his scheme perfectly...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #137
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
That's my point. It's college. Do you want Nick Saban coaching the Texans, too?
I would hire Saban in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back and give the NFL another shot. Get him a QB and the rest will take care of itself. The man can coach. Same way I felt about Pete Carroll before we decided to stick with Kubiak in 09.
Old 12-06-2013   #138
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011, Horton was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

I would honestly be okay with any of these guys except wade, thats why he is no longer listed

If Lovie can make it to the super bowl with grossman he can win it with schaub or keenum
Old 12-06-2013   #139
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

You want more of that?

I'd prefer a coach that recognizes and utilizes that talent. The only thing they MUST do is win
He didn't say hide weakness he said keep our special players special... all those guys listed don't have a weakness
Old 12-06-2013   #140
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
There is no "better than wade" option. He's the best at it. Dude's defenses have done this for decades. 1st year, they look like the 85 bears & by his last year they look like the 2010 texans. That more than anything should tell you that adjusting your scheme to fit your players strengths needs to be minimal b/c ultimately good teams/qbs find out what you can't do well & they force you to do it.

Instead of hoping to find a guy who adjusts his scheme to fit his players' strengths you should want a coach who finds players that fit his scheme perfectly...
Just plain silly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read