Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #61
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Our personnel aren't classic 3-4 personnel. I think we'll fit better with a 4-3 DC than with most 3-4 DCs.

Most standard 3-4 DCs are going to have to address the total lack of a 3-4 NT.
And the lack of 4 linebackers. Or even 3. Or 2 ....
Old 12-06-2013   #62
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120415 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
asshat
I've never worn an ass for a hat...but I HAVE worn thighs as a mask.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #63
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.
Absolutely! Just one of The stupidest takes out there.
Old 12-06-2013   #64
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well.

How many guys have won a SB as a coach and then come back and coached another team to win a SB?

If you want to hire the next George Seifert, go ahead.
Who cares.

How many OC's with the name Gary kubiak went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach?

You had no problem supporting him.

If belichick, Payton, McCarthy, Tomlinson and harbaugh were fired today, you aren't considering any of them simply because they've won a superbowl before.

That's silly.

You evaluate them as individuals. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just a stat. People make break throughs all the time.

First person to do this, first person to do that... Whatever. You'd miss out on a lot of those "firsts" if no one gave those people a shot.

I just think it's asinine to rule someone out because of that. Evaluate their ability.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #65
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels?

If we hire Lovie we are gonna need a damn good OC. It also means we're gonna switch to a 4-3 defense.
Put him in the same bag with Del Rio and toss them into the river.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #66
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels?
There were some kinda odd things going on in Denver with McDaniels. I think he needs some growing up/perspective.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. So. Rey, Mussop... who do you want?

Do you want Cowher? He's won a SB. It took him 14 years to do it and he coached for 15 years (6-10 his last season). People in Pittsburgh were calling for him to be fired even after he got his team to the AFC Championship game several times because of how many times he'd gotten there and lost. He had a reputation as a coach who couldn't win the big one.

Do you want Tony Dungy? He's won a SB. But he had a reputation as a coach who couldn't win the big one and even though he was a "defensive genius", he never could get that Indy defense up to snuff. He basically just rode Peyton's coat-tails to his SB.

Do you want Gruden? After taking Dungy's TB team to the SB and winning, he was a failure in TB. In the 6 years after that, he made the playoffs twice and lost in the Wild Card round both times.

Do you want Billick? He rode Marvin Lewis' great defense to a championship and never could draft or develop a QB. After his OC stint in Minnesota, he was supposed to be an offensive genius but his offense was mostly crap.

So which SB winning coach do you think is out there that's so much better than any of the other options?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2013   #68
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just think it's asinine to rule someone out because of that. Evaluate their ability.
I think his point was that using Superbowl wins solely to rule out candidates was a bad idea.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #69
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John Clayton's additions...

Quote:
Mike Shanahan, head coach, Washington Redskins

"What?" you might ask. If he's let go in Washington or if he re-signs but he's asked to fire his son, Shanahan would have no problem with a quick transition in Houston. Shanahan and Kubiak run the same type of offense. Shanahan proved last year he could work with a rookie quarterback in taking Robert Griffin III to the playoffs. If the Texans are drafting a quarterback and Shanahan is available, it's an easy fit.

Ken Whisenhunt, offensive coordinator, San Diego Chargers

He'll be a strong candidate because he's won in Arizona and he's a great coach working with quarterbacks. His presence in San Diego has helped Philip Rivers bounce back after a couple of off seasons.

Tom Cable, assistant head coach Seattle Seahawks

Cable is a master of working with the offensive line, and his zone-blocking scheme would be a good fit in Houston. He has head coaching experience in Oakland.

Hue Jackson, assistant coach, Cincinnati Bengals

Like Cable, Jackson was the head coach in Oakland and does a good job working with an offense and young quarterbacks. If McNair is looking to rebuild the offense, Jackson is a consideration.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #70
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who cares.

How many OC's with the name Gary kubiak went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach?

You had no problem supporting him.

If belichick, Payton, McCarthy, Tomlinson and harbaugh were fired today, you aren't considering any of them simply because they've won a superbowl before.

That's silly.

You evaluate them as individuals. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just a stat. People make break throughs all the time.

First person to do this, first person to do that... Whatever. You'd miss out on a lot of those "firsts" if no one gave those people a shot.

That's fine. Evaluate their ability. Show me the SB winning coach that's out there right now that you think is going to be the first one to break the SB winning coach jinx.

If Belichik gets fired, I hire him. If McCarthy gets fired, I don't. If Harbaugh gets fired, I don't.

Why?

Because that's my evaluation of how successful I think they're going to be in another situation.
Old 12-06-2013   #71
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I think his point was that using Superbowl wins solely to rule out candidates was a bad idea.
No.... It wasn't. That's what I am saying.

He and others (mainly kubiak and Schaub supporters) have been saying for years how no former Super Bowl winning head coach has ever win one again with another team. Which is true but so what.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #72
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think the problem with hiring a guy without hc experience is the break in period. I mean kubiak got better as a coach,because in nfl its not just coach. Its the media obligations,the owner and bean counter meeting. Its not just the coaching aspect. I like Holmgren a lot more than others.
Old 12-06-2013   #73
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think Whisenhunt might be my #1 preference of guys that have been mentioned.
Old 12-06-2013   #74
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Just say no to Wade Phillips. Please.

82W 59L regular season record.
1W 5L post season record.

That's like keeping teams from getting lots of yards but giving up tons of points. Sound familiar?
Old 12-06-2013   #75
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't Mike Shanahan just be an older version of Gary Kubiak? If we were going in that direction, I'd rather just have his son Kyle instead. At least bring in a younger guy with a brighter future. Our offense has seemingly gone down hill ever since we lost Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator.
Old 12-06-2013   #76
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Bill Cowher
My top 5
Old 12-06-2013   #77
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No.... It wasn't. That's what I am saying.

He and others (mainly kubiak and Schaub supporters) have been saying for years how no former Super Bowl winning head coach has ever win one again with another team. Which is true but so what.
And what I've said several times when I've brought this stat up is... do you think THIS SB winning coach is going to be the one to break the jinx?

People like you want Cowher or Gruden JUST because they've won a SB. Because... OH! They have to be GREAT coaches if they've won a SB.

And that's NOT the case. If that was the case, then SB winning coaches would be successful with other teams. They're not.

So you don't put those guys at the top of the list just because they've won a SB. You have to judge them on their merit. Gruden, Cowher, Billick, and Dungy haven't done anything in their coaching careers to make me believe that they can rekindle the magic that they were able to get in their one special season.
Old 12-06-2013   #78
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been touting Bill O'Brien all year long. He was the coordinator in NE after McDaniels left and has done a fantastic job at Penn State, considering the situation that program is in.

I think he can definitely develop a QB. He has that true freshman QB at Penn State looking like a future All-American.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #79
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97743 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I posted Josh McDaniels! I think he will learn from his mistakes in Denver just like his mentor did in Cleveland. Minimize his absolute power like he had in Denver and he can be pretty good.

McNair loves him some "Patriot Way" so I see this as a huge possibility.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #80
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think the problem with hiring a guy without hc experience is the break in period. I mean kubiak got better as a coach,because in nfl its not just coach. Its the media obligations,the owner and bean counter meeting. Its not just the coaching aspect. I like Holmgren a lot more than others.
I'm intrigued by Holmgren but is there any evidence to suggest he is itching or even willing to come back as a coach?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read