Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2013   #581
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish
Default Re: New HC candidates

What about Steve Mariucci? Any interest in Mooch?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #582
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Strong choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Interesting name tossed around on steelernation.com, of all places:

Louisville HC Charlie Strong.

Maybe a Strong-Bridgewater package.

Not bad.

He could be the sleeper pick of the whole bunch. He will appeal to McNair being a former DC for the South Carolina Gamecocks. Had a lot of good years with the Gators and as you said he is the current coach of the Texans potential 1st round pick Teddy Bridgewater. Very interesting.
Old 12-16-2013   #583
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post

I like the Mooch but I really don't think he is interested in coaching again.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #584
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Musgrave will more than likely be canned in Florida. Any chance he takes over the DC slot? Not HC, but DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #585
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Rep Power: 57899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I like the Mooch but I really don't think he is interested in coaching again.
Too bad, he still seems to enjoy the game. Not sure he is the right guy to turn around this undisciplined group of players either, but perhaps uncle Bob will see the light and realize it is a rebuild, not just a paint job and some new wheels and ship a bunch of these guys out for some that are more hungry. Not saying these guys aren't, but it's not showing. Everyone played horribly yesterday, and what better game to let it all hang out than that one.

It's possible I may just go insane before next season starts. Oh wait...

Old 12-16-2013   #586
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Too bad, he still seems to enjoy the game. Not sure he is the right guy to turn around this undisciplined group of players either, but perhaps uncle Bob will see the light and realize it is a rebuild, not just a paint job and some new wheels and ship a bunch of these guys out for some that are more hungry. Not saying these guys aren't, but it's not showing. Everyone played horribly yesterday, and what better game to let it all hang out than that one.

Never thought we would agree on anything

It's going to be a 2-4 yr rebuild regardless of who they pick. Bridgewater or any other QB that's picked is going to go thru a 2-3 yr learning curve. Luck/Wilson are rare. Even if you get an elite talent like RG3/Kaepernick there will be growing pains.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #587
Nitrofish
FSM Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Never thought we would agree on anything

It's going to be a 2-4 yr rebuild regardless of who they pick. Bridgewater or any other QB that's picked is going to go thru a 2-3 yr learning curve. Luck/Wilson are rare. Even if you get an elite talent like RG3/Kaepernick there will be growing pains.
Agreed... That is why I was amazed when uncle Bob said this is not a rebuild, and had Smith sitting beside him. If you are going to take out the garbage, you take it all out and clean with bleach.

Personally I say we do our best to fix the O Line, and fill the many other holes we have instead of drafting a QB this year. 2015 QB prospects look much better to me.

IMHO, we should bring in a vet QB like Cutler, or Rivers, etc, and put the pieces in place for 2015 and make a move to get a top QB prospect then. Of course none of that will happen, but a guy can dream right?

Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2013   #588
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Strong choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
He (Charlie Strong) could be the sleeper pick of the whole bunch. He will appeal to McNair being a former DC for the South Carolina Gamecocks. Had a lot of good years with the Gators and as you said he is the current coach of the Texans potential 1st round pick Teddy Bridgewater. Very interesting.
Well, I did a Google search on Strong, and this was at the top of the results. Apparently Strong is being linked to UT:

http://uoflcardgame.com/charlie-stro...r-texas/41203/

And he'll get looks from NFL teams:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98...ing-candidates
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #589
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Zero interest at all. Guy is a terrible coach and a bad evaluator of talent. I give his 49ers credit to that team that was around him. They could have won 11 games with me coaching them (not knowing what the hell I am doing and occasionally yelling at refs).

When I think of the next coach I think of re-tooling (NOT re-building) this team, making smart decisions, getting the most out of his players, and dominating the draft.

The last I will show you at the following link, he is AWFUL at.

2003 #1 - Charles Rodgers WR
2004 #1 - Roy Williams WR
2005 #1 - BIG Mike Williams WR

All suck. I like the guy on NFL Network, let's leave him there.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/his...2000-2009.html
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #590
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Zero interest at all. Guy is a terrible coach and a bad evaluator of talent. I give his 49ers credit to that team that was around him. They could have won 11 games with me coaching them (not knowing what the hell I am doing and occasionally yelling at refs).

When I think of the next coach I think of re-tooling (NOT re-building) this team, making smart decisions, getting the most out of his players, and dominating the draft.

The last I will show you at the following link, he is AWFUL at.

2003 #1 - Charles Rodgers WR
2004 #1 - Roy Williams WR
2005 #1 - BIG Mike Williams WR

All suck. I like the guy on NFL Network, let's leave him there.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/his...2000-2009.html
All those picks were Matt Millen picks
Old 12-16-2013   #591
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
All those picks were Matt Millen picks
Everyone knows Matt Millen is the worst and should definitely get blame too.

Regardless, you can't be a head coach of an NFL football team and take zero ownership for draft picks regardless of how bad your GM is.

Kubiak was an idiot, but he owned everything. I liked that quality in him, I don't like that quality in Rick Smith though "Hey Bob, it was Gary's fault, not mine".

We have 1 snake already, now we need a lion (not a Detroit Lion).
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #592
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

So some folks are really content to go through another season like this one to have a chance at the "heralded" QB draft class of 2015?

Because the guys coming out are stone cold locks right? Riiiight.

Cutler is dumpster juice and Rivers is having one of his best seasons so that definitely means SD is in a rush to get rid of him. SMH.

I'm not impressed enough with the so called blue chip OL coming out, let alone use the first pick on one. Screw it, trade down into the 20's, pick up a guard and get an extra 3rd round pick right? Brilliant.
Old 12-17-2013   #593
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What I don't get is why Uncle Bob doesn't understand that rebuilds don't need to take 4-6 years. Maybe it's the word "rebuild" that makes him think it's a long-term project. Teams around us rebuild in 1-2 years and that's not paint and wheels, that's aggressively retooling the roster.

Texans can do it. They just need to get out of tortoise mode for once in their existence.
Old 12-17-2013   #594
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
So some folks are really content to go through another season like this one to have a chance at the "heralded" QB draft class of 2015?

Because the guys coming out are stone cold locks right? Riiiight.

Cutler is dumpster juice and Rivers is having one of his best seasons so that definitely means SD is in a rush to get rid of him. SMH.

I'm not impressed enough with the so called blue chip OL coming out, let alone use the first pick on one. Screw it, trade down into the 20's, pick up a guard and get an extra 3rd round pick right? Brilliant.
Why is it that you think drafting back into the 20's means you have to get a guard? And why do you think that trading back out of the first spot means that you have to go all the way back to the 20's?

It's very, very rare for a team to trade from the 20's all the way up into the top-5 because they have to give up so much to do it. If we trade back out of the top spot, I doubt that we'd trade out of the top 10. And if we play things right, we could even trade back and still get the Franchise QB we want.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #595
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
What I don't get is why Uncle Bob doesn't understand that rebuilds don't need to take 4-6 years. Maybe it's the word "rebuild" that makes him think it's a long-term project. Teams around us rebuild in 1-2 years and that's not paint and wheels, that's aggressively retooling the roster.

Texans can do it. They just need to get out of tortoise mode for once in their existence.
My problem with "rebuilds" is that most of them don't work.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #596
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, can't deny it. Every year a bunch of teams finish the year disappointed. That's the reality of the NFL. We're just trying to crack the same nut that 31 other teams have been trying to do over the years.
Old 12-17-2013   #597
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is my problem with all the character assassination that goes on about owners, GMs and HCs. The best of them make missteps. They are all affected by luck good and bad. Bad results shouldn't lead to allegations of being cheap, not dedicated, no accountability, etc. and good results shouldn't blind people to the mistakes others make. People clamor for Cowher and frankly he was a train wreck with QBs but it gets overlooked because of a SB win and scowling becomes an admirable trait in and of itself.
Old 12-17-2013   #598
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is my problem with all the character assassination that goes on about owners, GMs and HCs. The best of them make missteps. They are all affected by luck good and bad. Bad results shouldn't lead to allegations of being cheap, not dedicated, no accountability, etc. and good results shouldn't blind people to the mistakes others make. People clamor for Cowher and frankly he was a train wreck with QBs but it gets overlooked because of a SB win and scowling becomes an admirable trait in and of itself.
How true all of this is. When things don't go as hoped, everyone is an idiot, and if you don't agree, you are obviously said idiot's mom.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #599
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

"Rebuilding" is tearing it down and starting over and over and over again. You don't want to get into a cycle of tearing down and rebuilding over and over. That's what happens with the Browns, the Bills, the Lions (until the last two or three years), and other franchises that have losing cultures.

"Retooling" is different and it's something that good franchises have to do all the time, especially if they have a down year like we are this year. "Retooling" entails keeping what works and bolstering the rest. For us, we need a new coach and given that we've lost so many games by 7 points or less, it's mostly a coaching problem. Obviously, as I've said before, depth matters too.

Hit on a coach, bolster the depth, and we'll be ready to rock n' roll.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #600
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
"Rebuilding" is tearing it down and starting over and over and over again. You don't want to get into a cycle of tearing down and rebuilding over and over. That's what happens with the Browns, the Bills, the Lions (until the last two or three years), and other franchises that have losing cultures.

"Retooling" is different and it's something that good franchises have to do all the time, especially if they have a down year like we are this year. "Retooling" entails keeping what works and bolstering the rest. For us, we need a new coach and given that we've lost so many games by 7 points or less, it's mostly a coaching problem. Obviously, as I've said before, depth matters too.

Hit on a coach, bolster the depth, and we'll be ready to rock n' roll.
What the Browns, the Bills and the Lions (up until a few years ago) haven't had is a good qb. They've invested a ton in all other areas and never had a qb to carry it out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read