Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #41
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18240 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Bob also said he wanted someone who could make adjustments...

Two good things that Bob said - the new coach will not have to learn to be a head coach and be able to make haft time adjustments.

At least that is what Bob seems to be hoping for.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #42
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope McNair doesn't preclude himself from a guy like Horton; otherwise, the only one I'd want is a guy like Lovie.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #43
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

We can resurrect Vince Lombari himself and we'll still be screwed with Rick Smith running this ship. Guy sucks at everything a GM is supposed to do.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #44
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Didn't they just get torched by the jags 1 week before us?
Ya they did but they have the number.3 defense in the league. they give up points but hell you could say they have the same problem as the Texans weak QB play. therefore the D having to be on the field more then the offense hell your gona give up some points, factor in fatigue and a team seeing every scheme you have drawn up for the game in 1 half I wouldn't doubt a offense adjust and scores some points.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #45
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Lovie is still a beloved guy by Bears fans I talk to here in Chicago. His issue was dealing with the GM to bring in a real offensive coordinator. They never had an identity on offense and the pieces they brought in never fit the OC's system. Players loved him, fans loved him. D was always tough. He got the most out of them. My fear is that you only get a guy 20% better than Kubiak and the team ends up being a consistently good yet never great team. I think there are better options.
Old 12-06-2013   #46
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.
So...are we gonna bring in Tony Dungee first to make him look like a genius? F-aChuckie Barry Switzer 2.0 can keep moving. NEXT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs...are you kiddin' me? Playoffs? Don't talk about the playoffs
Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.
Nope. Smith like Kubiak doesn't know when the pull a mediocre QB who is CLEARLY in over his head. The Kubiak/Schaub Soap opera was almost EXACTLY like the Smith/Grossman drama that Cost the Bears a Superbowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs
Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.
Wade is a good DC...but he IS NOT A HEAD COACH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We aint going to the Playoffs
Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.
As Vince Young & Tim Tebow and countless others will attest. THE PROS AINT COLLEGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by College football should have a [B
Playoffs[/b] system Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.
They haven't won anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs?
Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.
is Brees coming with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs...seem so long ago
Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.
He got fired as an assistant for a reason.

Two words Baby ...Cowher POWER!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #47
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Lovie is still a beloved guy by Bears fans I talk to here in Chicago. His issue was dealing with the GM to bring in a real offensive coordinator. They never had an identity on offense and the pieces they brought in never fit the OC's system. Players loved him, fans loved him. D was always tough. He got the most out of them. My fear is that you only get a guy 20% better than Kubiak and the team ends up being a consistently good yet never great team. I think there are better options.
Lovie Smith got the Bears to the Super Bowl, so if 20% better gets us there then I'm happy.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2013   #48
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Well said I don't see Lovie as the guy.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #49
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Lovie Smith got the Bears to the Super Bowl, so if 20% better gets us there then I'm happy.
I agree from that standpoint but I think he has a very good, Southern, quiet, good guy demeanor to him that will remind people too much of Kubiak...players too. I know it seems small but sometimes a little different direction works. I think Lovie did great work, but a lot of this info is coming from Bears fans here who still love him but thought his time was done. Grew stale.
Old 12-06-2013   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
he said he wants someone with head coaching experience and nfl experience. he said it would be the ideal situation for him.

i dvr'd it.
This. I think McNair needs to shake himself out of the "usual" and go get a great candidate like Shaw. He is getting great feedback from fans and media on terminating Kubiak. I think he will ride that wave with hiring a non retread.
Old 12-06-2013   #51
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels?

If we hire Lovie we are gonna need a damn good OC. It also means we're gonna switch to a 4-3 defense.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels?
asshat

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #53
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Mike Holmgren took 2 different teams to superbowls. That's my dude.
Old 12-06-2013   #54
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?
I thought McNair said head coaching experience, not specifically nfl.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #55
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
I thought McNair said head coaching experience, not specifically nfl.
That is how i took it too..

I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.
Old 12-06-2013   #56
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

When you look at recent SB winning coaches, you've got guys who had previous SUCCESSFUL NFL HC experience (Belichik, Dungy, Gruden, Vermeil, Coughlin) but who hadn't won a SB and you've got guys with NFL Coordinator experience (Harbaugh, Payton, McCarthy, Billick).

However, there are a lot of coordinators who get NFL HC jobs and fail. So... if given the choice... I'd prefer someone who had previous successful NFL HC experience but who have not won a SB. Lovie Smith fits that bill. Unfortunately, so do guys like Brad Childress and Jack Del Rio. (EDIT: And Whisenhunt...)

If Rex Ryan gets fired from the Jets, he's an option even though I dislike the guy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #57
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #58
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Are you sure?

I thought he said "head coaching experience," but didn't specify "NFL."

Transcript, please.
He said he prefers a coach with head coaching experience. No mention of it needing to be NFL head coaching. McClain also said on NFL network that they would absolutely look at David Shaw. Hopefully that is true.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.
Well.

How many guys have won a SB as a coach and then come back and coached another team to win a SB?

If you want to hire the next George Seifert, go ahead.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #60
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
asshat

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read