Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2013   #461
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Tate has been inured a lot too. And in a what have you done for me lately business its not like tate is setting the world on fire. A long hard look? I dont see that.

Rbs arent really given big deals if they arent considered special. And tate isnt special. Im trying to think of a comparable player and what they got paid but im drawing a blank...
You know, you might be right. With the market for RBs as it is, he might not command that much money.

If we look back to last year, the two best RBs on the market were Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush. I don't think Tate has their reputation or notoriety and they're the only ones who really got a decent contract. Tate's probably more along the lines of a Chris Ivory or an Ahmad Bradshaw and I don't think either of those guys really broke the bank.

The question is going to be whether he thinks he can be a starter here vs. somewhere fresh.

So. I take it back. We might be able to re-sign Tate pretty easily... if we want to.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #462
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You know, you might be right. With the market for RBs as it is, he might not command that much money.

If we look back to last year, the two best RBs on the market were Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush. I don't think Tate has their reputation or notoriety and they're the only ones who really got a decent contract. Tate's probably more along the lines of a Chris Ivory or an Ahmad Bradshaw and I don't think either of those guys really broke the bank.

The question is going to be whether he thinks he can be a starter here vs. somewhere fresh.

So. I take it back. We might be able to re-sign Tate pretty easily... if we want to.
Its going to be interesring to see. Ive been wondering about tate and this supposed big pay day he has coming for a while now....

But with a new staff coming in, who knows who we re sign...,
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #463
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tate has been inured a lot too. And in a what have you done for me lately business its not like tate is setting the world on fire. A long hard look? I dont see that.

Rbs arent really given big deals if they arent considered special. And tate isnt special. Im trying to think of a comparable player and what they got paid but im drawing a blank...
Derrick Ward.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #464
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

All you hatin' on Foster are crazy.....he will be back and will be fine. Get another guy to compete with Johnson as we let Tate walk.
Old 12-09-2013   #465
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25261 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
All you hatin' on Foster are crazy.....he will be back and will be fine. Get another guy to compete with Johnson as we let Tate walk.
Hatin' on Foster = Being concerned he can return from BACK SURGERY?
Old 12-09-2013   #466
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Report: Texans not interested in Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden; LINK

That should squash any Shanny or Chucky rumors.
The Chucky rumors were squashed yesterday when his camp said he was staying with ESPN through 2014.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #467
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What kind of high dollars are people talking for Tate? I'm not seeing it. I think he'll get a decent little contract, but I don't see him breaking anyone's bank.

Tate would've been nice for a team like the colts to pair with Donald brown. Maybe the jags with mojo declining. Falcons...browns...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...o-10m-contract

Chris Ivory maybe
Old 12-09-2013   #468
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25261 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Report: Texans not interested in Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden; LINK

That should squash any Shanny or Chucky rumors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
The Chucky rumors were squashed yesterday when his camp said he was staying with ESPN through 2014.
Yeah but this came from McClain so it's "official" now.

We all know how well connected he is in the Texans FO
Old 12-09-2013   #469
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Tate will be in the top 3 RB FA's this year. He might not command a huge salary, but he'll command more than the Texans can pay. Will Tate be a FA or a RFA in 2014? I think he'll be a FA with no leverage, at all, for the Texans.
Old 12-10-2013   #470
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Lovie Smith and David Shaw I am interested in but when it comes to Smith it is freaking imperative he gets the right offensive coordinator. That is where his main issue lies and that has to be part of the interview/plan if they went that direction. He needs to put a list together of coordinators he intends on hiring. They need to evaluate each name on it and the true possibility he will be able to bring that coordinator on board.
In 20-something pages I have not seen this issue discussed in detail.
THIS IS CRUCIAL.

A head coach's success is tied at the hip to the quality of coordinators (and other assistants) he brings in. See our team's struggles when we had sucky DCs. See Parcells' success when Belichick was running his defense. Or Pittsburgh's continued success with LeBeau running the defense.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but picking the right head coach is only one piece to the path to success. What assistants he can bring with him (and which ones here he might consider keeping) is crucial.

In short, if any of the HC possibilities are satisfied with Wade as DC, they're off my list. I want to see new ideas across the board.
Old 12-10-2013   #471
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't be surprised if Wade Philips becomes the HC of your fightin' Houston Texans!

Just listening to soundbites and the way he's pushing for the job. A win or two to end the season might just convince Bobby Mac.

In that nightmare scenario who gets OC duties next year?
Old 12-10-2013   #472
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Don't be surprised if Wade Philips becomes the HC of your fightin' Houston Texans!

Just listening to soundbites and the way he's pushing for the job. A win or two to end the season mi ght just convince Bobby Mac.

In that nightmare scenario who gets OC duties next year?
Jason Garrett.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #473
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thank god, Texans not interested in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Not sure trading him makes any sense. We owe him money, he should be ready for training camp, plus he could come back to form depending on his rehab.
This is a very optimistic outcome for a RB coming off of back surgery. Remeber Cody last yr? What team does he play for this yr?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #474
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

A RB coming off surgery sets off my Domanick Davis alarms.

All that remains is for Arian Foster to change his last name to Williams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #475
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
IMO, we look fine at WR. We could use a serious upgrade at TE, though. I would also look hard at a running back. There are no gaurantees at all that Foster will be the back he was a couple of years ago. I think Kubiak and Dennison wore the majority of the tread off his tires in 2011 and 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
In 20-something pages I have not seen this issue discussed in detail.
THIS IS CRUCIAL.

A head coach's success is tied at the hip to the quality of coordinators (and other assistants) he brings in. See our team's struggles when we had sucky DCs. See Parcells' success when Belichick was running his defense. Or Pittsburgh's continued success with LeBeau running the defense.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but picking the right head coach is only one piece to the path to success. What assistants he can bring with him (and which ones here he might consider keeping) is crucial.

In short, if any of the HC possibilities are satisfied with Wade as DC, they're off my list. I want to see new ideas across the board.

Couldn't agree more. MSR!
Old 12-10-2013   #476
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
A head coach's success is tied at the hip to the quality of coordinators (and other assistants) he brings in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
...Couldn't agree more.
Lets call this the "Anti-Marciano decree"
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #477
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27819 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see a situation where we bring in a head coach that came up through the defensive ranks and keep Wade Phillips on this team. I would imagine Wade would feel slighted that they chose a different defensive coach for the opening and would leave. If he didn't leave I imagine that him and the new head coach would not see eye to eye and it would be difficult to make that work.

I can't see Wade getting this job with the horrible defense that commits COUNTLESS terrible penalties and just plain sucks. You can't give him the benefit of the doubt for no depth on the defense because he was behind 90% of the failed high draft picks on defense. He has not earned anything and is just a placeholder until the new guy is hired, at which time his days are numbered.

Finally, everyone keeps saying he might look good to close out the season and keep the job... Peyton will beat the hell out of us, We have NEVER won in Indy, and the Titans suck. If he gets a head coaching job because he defeats the Titans in week 17 in the most meaningless game of all time, I'll seriously turn my back on this team, become completely fair-weather, and only care about my fantasy football squad.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #478
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27819 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see 2 scenarios unfolding, the one I am personally wishing for is the first:

1. David Shaw gets the job (obviously no NFL head coaching experience), but that's why Wade Phillips stays on to provide him valuable advice as a head coach that has been there before. The OC and ST Coach hired would be a complete guess for me.

2. Lovie Smith gets the job, this means Wade has a good probability of leaving. He brings in a yes man for DC. Then he hires an OC and ST coach that are a complete guess for me.

I don't want Wade to remain with this team, but I think him staying would be the best opportunity we get David Shaw, which I want far more than scenario 2. I'd really like Ray Horton, but I don't see a scenario where that realistically happens. And every other HC Candidate I've heard in this thread is a loser. Just my thoughts.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #479
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I can see 2 scenarios unfolding, the one I am personally wishing for is the first:

1. David Shaw gets the job (obviously no NFL head coaching experience), but that's why Wade Phillips stays on to provide him valuable advice as a head coach that has been there before. The OC and ST Coach hired would be a complete guess for me.

2. Lovie Smith gets the job, this means Wade has a good probability of leaving. He brings in a yes man for DC. Then he hires an OC and ST coach that are a complete guess for me.

I don't want Wade to remain with this team, but I think him staying would be the best opportunity we get David Shaw, which I want far more than scenario 2. I'd really like Ray Horton, but I don't see a scenario where that realistically happens. And every other HC Candidate I've heard in this thread is a loser. Just my thoughts.

The only scenario I see that includes Wade Phillips staying with the Texans is at HC. I don't think he will accept being DC for another coach for this team, nor do I think they would ask him to do it.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #480
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
IMO, we look fine at WR. We could use a serious upgrade at TE, though. I would also look hard at a running back. There are no gaurantees at all that Foster will be the back he was a couple of years ago. I think Kubiak and Dennison wore the majority of the tread off his tires in 2011 and 2012.

Couldn't agree more. MSR!
By Johnson I meant Dennis Johnson, my entire post was about the running backs lol

I think TE is a need especially if we cut OD.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read