Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2013   #441
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Bill O'Brien was mentioned and would be interesting. He might be ready to leave Penn State. He was with the Patriots during their prolific years but its easy with Brady and Moss. He coached McGloin into making an NFL squad.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #442
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thank god, Texans not interested in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I think I would have put my fandom on hold if we hired Shanahan. He's just Kubiak Sr. The game has passed their coaching style by.
I would much prefer Shanahan Sr over Whisenhunt, especially if it means getting Kyle Shanahan back as OC. I think that young man has a very bright future in the NFL.

I'd rather get Kyle Shanahan by himself, if possible, as OC.
Old 12-09-2013   #443
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Lovie Smith and David Shaw I am interested in but when it comes to Smith it is freaking imperative he gets the right offensive coordinator. That is where his main issue lies and that has to be part of the interview/plan if they went that direction. He needs to put a list together of coordinators he intends on hiring. They need to evaluate each name on it and the true possibility he will be able to bring that coordinator on board.

Shaw is the wildcard and I think shaking things up with something/someone different may be a good direction. I think I favor him most honestly and not even certain why. A lot of these young coaches have been making some strides. Lovie is known and many teams will pull out tape on his past for those who didn't face him previously. Shaw they won't have much to nothing to go on.

Whisenhunt...eh. Not overly high on him but he did turn the Cardinals around which means a bit. Then again as soon as Kurt Warner was gone he turned them right back into what they were like Cinderella's coach turning back into a pumpkin. But I understand that he could have also learned from that and grown. The chance to work with McCoy may have helped as well. Not like we're hearing complaints about him in San Diego like we hear of Haley in Pittsburgh. I see that as a positive. Still he would be last on this list of three we have seen pop up thus far.

So I guess I'm more: Shaw (and I really have no idea why lol), Smith and then Whisenhunt.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #444
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Phillips is going to get the job. And then he's going to bring Gary back as OC.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #445
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like I am in the minority of those who want a college coach. The NFL is headed towards flag football, so hybrid offenses where you sprinkle in some zone read, pro style, heavy, shotgun, wildcat, are going to be more effective IMO.

I think Bridgewater + Foster would be deadly in that type of scheme like what Shaw runs at Stanford.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #446
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I feel like I am in the minority of those who want a college coach. The NFL is headed towards flag football, so hybrid offenses where you sprinkle in some zone read, pro style, heavy, shotgun, wildcat, are going to be more effective IMO.

I think Bridgewater + Foster would be deadly in that type of scheme like what Shaw runs at Stanford.
I think Foster needs to be traded if he has any value left.
Old 12-09-2013   #447
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Not sure trading him makes any sense. We owe him money, he should be ready for training camp, plus he could come back to form depending on his rehab.
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2013   #448
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This.

Only thing, is do you then re-sign Tate?

Because if not, your running back corps is Non existent.

Tate isn't the perfect picture of health himself.
Foster is going to cost us regardless.
So I'd probably let Tate walk and draft a mid to late round RB. Look at the scrap heap.

Texans fell in love with players. I'd have traded foster before he signed that deal.
Old 12-09-2013   #449
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

When it comes to Foster and Tate, I haz a skaired.

I'm afraid we Larry Johnsoned/Shawn Alexandered Arian by leaning on him too heavily and giving him way too many touches. I'm afraid all the tread is gone from those tires.

That's why I've left him off of the discussions of the talent on this team.

With the contract we just gave him, I'm not sure we can get rid of him. So I think we're stuck with at least giving him a shot to return.

But that makes signing Tate hard. Tate's probably going to command some high dollars this offseason. But. I hate to say this but... I'm not sure he's going to be worth it.

So I've got... fears... about the RB position. Hopefully, the next OC isn't as wary of starting a rookie as Kubes was and we can get someone in the draft who'll be able to step up. Of course, that's just one more need we'll have going into the draft and we've already got a lot of them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #450
Rey
Hall of Fame

What kind of high dollars are people talking for Tate? I'm not seeing it. I think he'll get a decent little contract, but I don't see him breaking anyone's bank.

Tate would've been nice for a team like the colts to pair with Donald brown. Maybe the jags with mojo declining. Falcons...browns...
Old 12-09-2013   #451
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What kind of high dollars are people talking for Tate? I'm not seeing it. I think he'll get a decent little contract, but I don't see him breaking anyone's bank.

Tate would've been nice for a team like the colts to pair with Donald brown. Maybe the jags with mojo declining. Falcons...browns...
The falcons will be perfect for Tate. S-Jax will be cut and Gonzo will likely retire to free up some cap space and he will fit in nicely there.

What the hell...I'm talking the falcons on the texans MB. Guh.
Old 12-09-2013   #452
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade Phillips is going to get the job. And then he's going to bring Gary back as OC.
MSnegR
Old 12-09-2013   #453
Blake
MMQB

Quote:

If we let Tate leave who is Yates going to talk to while on the bench during games?
Old 12-09-2013   #454
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Bill O'Brien was mentioned and would be interesting. He might be ready to leave Penn State. He was with the Patriots during their prolific years but its easy with Brady and Moss. He coached McGloin into making an NFL squad.
No, no Irish, they will just come to Reliant and drink up all the liquor.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #455
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2051 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Pallilo is on the air right now (790 AM) talking about how ridiculous McNair's paramaters are for the HC job.

He pointed out that a slew of successful NFL head coaches were hired without having prior head-coaching experience at the pro or college level: Holmgren, Reid, Joe Gibbs, Dungy, Cowher, Tomlin, John Harbaugh, McCarthy.....even the legendary Lovie Smith.

Pallilo theorizes that McNair's prerequsites make it easier for him to say afterward, if the guys fails, "Well, he had head-coaching experience."

Smart guy, that Charlie.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #456
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Report: Texans not interested in Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden; LINK

Quote:
If the Sunday morning report that Mike Shanahan wanted to resign last January because he was uncomfortable with the close relationship between Redskins owner Dan Snyder and franchise quarterback Robert Griffin III was all a ploy to get out of Washington to pursue the recently vacated Texans job, then we have some bad news for him.
According to the Houston Chronicle's John McClain, the Texans aren't interested in Shanahan. Same holds for ESPN's Jon Gruden.
That should squash any Shanny or Chucky rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #457
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
If we let Tate leave who is Yates going to talk to while on the bench during games?
Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #458
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
No, no Irish, they will just come to Reliant and drink up all the liquor.
I'm already there.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #459
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let's see, you mentioned:
Colts
Jags
Falcons
Browns

Throw these into the mix:
Titans -- big chance they ditch CJ2K
Ravens -- Ray Rice has been a disappointment this year
Raiders -- McFadden is done, I think
Cowboys -- Demarco Murry is a walking injury
Niners -- If Gore really is at the end of his career
Patriots -- Because they're the Patriots

That's 10 possible landing spots other than the Texans. I don't know everyone who's going to be looking for a new team and I don't think Ben is going to be the biggest name in the mix, but I think he's going to command a long, hard look by a lot of teams looking to upgrade their run game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #460
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Let's see, you mentioned:
Colts
Jags
Falcons
Browns

Throw these into the mix:
Titans -- big chance they ditch CJ2K
Ravens -- Ray Rice has been a disappointment this year
Raiders -- McFadden is done, I think
Cowboys -- Demarco Murry is a walking injury
Niners -- If Gore really is at the end of his career
Patriots -- Because they're the Patriots

That's 10 possible landing spots other than the Texans. I don't know everyone who's going to be looking for a new team and I don't think Ben is going to be the biggest name in the mix, but I think he's going to command a long, hard look by a lot of teams looking to upgrade their run game.
Tate has been inured a lot too. And in a what have you done for me lately business its not like tate is setting the world on fire. A long hard look? I dont see that.

Rbs arent really given big deals if they arent considered special. And tate isnt special. Im trying to think of a comparable player and what they got paid but im drawing a blank...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read