Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #301
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Looks Like Shaw could be the guy which would be nice. It's John McLain reporting it so take it how you want but he is usually right on these things.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...columnist-says
Man I hope so, I have been pounding the David Shaw table and been on the David Shaw bandwagon for 2 years.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #302
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Ok, then wouldn't it be better just to say you don't think Gruden will return to coaching? Or do you think he would return to coach a more glamorous team?
Gruden is the new Madden IMO. I think it's a longshot for him to get back into coaching and a longer shot for him to come to a place like Houston. I think if he were to come back into coaching it would be to a city that gets top billing on Sportscenter everyday.

Bob McNair pulled the switch on the coaching carousel during the season yesterday and took third place to LA getting Kobe Bryant back and New York NOT getting Robinson Cano.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #303
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looks Like Shaw could be the guy which would be nice. It's John McLain reporting it so take it how you want but he is usually right on these things.

I didn't know he had NFL experience so I didn't think he'd fit the criteria. Glad to see I was wrong.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #304
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would love this hiring.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #305
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2051 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Actually, I think the process is open to more than just those I listed...
Open schmopen.

You really think McNair will conduct an "exhaustive search"?

They'll bring in two or three people for cursory, going-through-the-motions interviews. And they'll let it be known they're interested in guys like David Shaw.

But Boardroom Bob will hire Lovie Smith or someone uber-safe. He'll promote it as a bold, progressive move.

It's just not in him to bring in the kind of coach who'll really shake things up. McNair wants things tweaked, not overhauled.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #306
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya I think that is the best choice. Shaw is young he has experience and is intelligent and innovative like McNair is looking for. I also see Teddy being drafted and Shaw grooming him will be nice
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #307
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2051 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, innovative and McNair are mutually exclusive terms.
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013   #308
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Here is a Link I read earlier about Whisenhunt and gives a hint the Texans being interested in him...
I like Whiz for his time with the Steelers. But I don't think the Texans should be hiring someone who was fired by the Cardinals.

A few astute comments following the profootballtalk story:

-- "I never understood the retread coach appeal. Yeah, so he was a head coach before. So what!" Get an up and coming coordinator who is hungry and you will be better off in the long run."

-- "He struggled to figure out the quarterback situation in Arizona so why would a team that can’t figure out it’s quarterback situation want to hire him?"

-- Whiz does alright when he is handed a franchise QB, a la Roethlisberger, Warner or Rivers. When left to his own instincts and intuition, there are few worse at evaluating QB talent than Whiz."

Note: He has a worse career record (45-51) than Kubiak.
Old 12-07-2013   #309
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I guess I didn't make my point clear. You just said what I meant, just more clearly. Thanks.

See above. I think we have the talent to compete with any team with a few shortcomings addressed. Some would say "many shortcomings" and there could be some merit there. It just depends on one's perspective. Glass 1/2 full or empty kinda thing.

Bottom line is I hope the braintrust, whoever the hell that is, knocks it outta the park. Going on record here that I don't believe Lovie Smith is that guy.

Most say it will never happen but I can't think of a better pilot for this vessel than David Shaw. Probably won't happen but that's the basket my eggs are in.
Wow, miracles never cease

We are in total agreement
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #310
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Money talks my friend. Not only that, but the guy currently lives in Tampa and is outside in those elements all the time. The weather is the last thing he'd be worried about in regards to Houston.
Yes indeed, Money does talk.

Which is why Jon Gruden will never be the HC of the Texans.
Old 12-08-2013   #311
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Say it aint so,

Shaw would be an awsome hire.
Old 12-08-2013   #312
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yes indeed, Money does talk.

Which is why Jon Gruden will never be the HC of the Texans.
Pretty sure you misread my post. I was responding to his comment that Houston is too hot and not glamarous enough to attract Gruden. I think that's ridiculous because if enough money was thrown his way I'm sure he'd bite in a heartbeat.

Now will that happen? Probably not, but the guy is a coach and he loves it to his core. I think he's just waiting for the right situation. I actually think being in the booth studying all of these different offenses the way he does is going to make Gruden a better coach.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #313
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Shaw would be a good hire.

But what was in that nfl.com article that "advances the story" beyond what we know already?

All McClain said was that "...the Texans, I know, will check him out as well as Lovie Smith and some others."

That's a revelation? If the Texans didn't "check out" Shaw it would be a dereliction of duty.

Now, if McClain had reported that Shaw is the leading candidate, then that's news.
Old 12-08-2013   #314
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Gruden is the new Madden IMO. I think it's a longshot for him to get back into coaching and a longer shot for him to come to a place like Houston. I think if he were to come back into coaching it would be to a city that gets top billing on Sportscenter everyday.

Bob McNair pulled the switch on the coaching carousel during the season yesterday and took third place to LA getting Kobe Bryant back and New York NOT getting Robinson Cano.
Because Kobe is easily a bigger story. Houston is a top 8 market and its the NFL, not NBA.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #315
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21559 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Have ya'll seen the panoramic shots of Palo Alto? Now dont get me wrong, I think this franchise is the best thing since sliced bread, but it would be really hard to leave that just for more money IMO.
Old 12-08-2013   #316
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Shaw would be a good hire.

But what was in that nfl.com article that "advances the story" beyond what we know already?

All McClain said was that "...the Texans, I know, will check him out as well as Lovie Smith and some others."

That's a revelation? If the Texans didn't "check out" Shaw it would be a dereliction of duty.

Now, if McClain had reported that Shaw is the leading candidate, then that's news.
I posted the link because as much as a lot of us want David Shaw there was never any reports the Texans where looking at him till now. So far all I've heard about is Lovie Smith,Jon Gruden and Shanahan. Also most people ruled him out because they had no clue he had Nfl experience therefore that's a plus for him in my book.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #317
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Bill o'brien but like Shaw I don't think he will leave his current situation.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #318
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Cowher power.. come on McNair break out the checkbook give the man the money.
That's my phrase

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #319
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is a Link I read earlier about Whisenhunt and gives a hint the Texans being interested in him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hing-interest/
However, Whisenhunt also had some bad seasons in Arizona, and he struggled to get the quarterback position figured out after Kurt Warner retired. (And even when he had Warner, it took Whisenhunt way too long to figure out that Warner was better than Matt Leinart.)

This quote was gold.

kremis says:
Dec 7, 2013 2:43 PM
Well fortunately Houston does not have a QB problem so he should be just fine.
Old 12-08-2013   #320
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone have an opinion on Urbin Myer?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read