Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New HC candidates

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011, Horton was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Any 1 of the bolded will do for me.....

Most interested in these guys at this point...

Also

Bengals D coordinator Mike Zimmer- has coached top 10 ranked defenses when he’s used a 3-4 scheme and a 4-3 scheme.

A Wild Card would be Jay Gruden he has been a guy a lot of teams have looked at.

Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Ray Horton's the top guy on my list. I've read that McNair is a big fan of the Rooney model at Pittsburgh and Horton comes from that mold.

I also think that McNair's gonna go defense this time judging from his remarks at the press conference.

From the press conference, it really sounds like guys without HC (or NFL) experience would only be considered as last resorts.

Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Billick
Jack Del Rio (this is the one that scares me)

Ray Horton's the top guy on my list. I've read that McNair is a big fan of the Rooney model at Pittsburgh and Horton comes from that mold.

I also think that McNair's gonna go defense this time judging from his remarks at the press conference.

Horton has turned the Browns D into a Monster.

Ray Horton's the top guy on my list...

You're right...

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He is also a former cornerback in the National Football League for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Dallas Cowboys.
  • He later was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
  • On February 9, 2011, Horton was named defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.
  • On January 18, 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.

i'm with jen that lovie is probably the guy mcnair wants. the first thing that i thought of with that name though is kubiak and sherman. will wade and lovie work well enough together? a coordinator and head coach who both work the same side of the ball with different systems and philosophies.

Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.

Our personnel aren't classic 3-4 personnel. I think we'll fit better with a 4-3 DC than with most 3-4 DCs.

Most standard 3-4 DCs are going to have to address the total lack of a 3-4 NT.

When we get a HC, he better be able to bring a staff with him. I'd be pissed if we bring a good HC in and make him keep dumbass Phillips and old loser Marciano.

Lovie is a good coach and how many injuries to Cutler did his teams struggle through? He's not my top choice, but he's not the worst either. At this point though I'm sick and tired of thinking 'at least this guy is not as bad as the previous guy'. I want someone to lead this team who will be great.

I'm hoping for Shaw, Bevell & Zimmer.

Here's a name that you'll love: Mike Shanahan.

Clayton on ESPN said that if the Redskins fire him, he would move to the top of the Texans list.

No!!!!

Looks like the list should be narrowed down to Gruden, cowher, smith. Gus Malzahn head coach, Auburn. Or David Shaw, head coach, Stanford.

Auburn sure has been impressive this year. I still want cowher.

Here's a name that you'll love: Mike Shanahan.

Clayton on ESPN said that if the Redskins fire him, he would move to the top of the Texans list.

No!!!!

Put me down as wanting a different offensive philosophy. Shanahan's teams have the same offensive problems that Kubiak's do.

McNair was very specific in his comments about hiring someone with NFL head coaching experience, not a coordinator or a college coach.

We don't have 4 LBs as is to run the current 3-4. A switch a 4-3 means Clowney is our pick and the Tampa 2 is our future.

Nah. If we have a first pick there is no way any HC doesn't bring in a new QB imo. Lovie Smith will not ride with Keenum. New coaches like their own guys, not the hand-me-downs of the man who was fired. Unless Wade Phillips becomes the new HC I believe we will be picking QB for sure now.

There are going to be a lot of NFL head coaching jobs up for grabs this offseason. I'm glad Houston is getting a head start in the race for good candidates, but I'm also concerned about this team getting used by a candidate to bid up their own value on the market with so many open jobs.

So regardless of who comes in for an interview, I won't get my hopes up. But who wouldn't want this job? In Houston you can suck as a head coach for a good long while before the term "accountability" even comes up. Today's 2014 head coach would be seeing his first hot seat no sooner than 2018.

McNair was very specific in his comments about hiring someone with NFL head coaching experience, not a coordinator or a college coach.

No I don't believe he ever said it wouldn't be a college coach. Just said needs head coaching experience.

"Head coaching experience" is pretty broad. I like that.

Bradley in Jax and McCoy in SD seem pretty sharp. I don't think either has been a head coach other than high school (if that).

Are you sure?

I thought he said "head coaching experience," but didn't specify "NFL."

Transcript, please.

From what I heard, he worded it like this: the candidate should have NFL experience and should have head coaching experience.

It doesn't sound like the HC experience necessarily has to be at the NFL level as long as they have some other NFL coaching experience. So I think that leaves it open for guys like Shaw or O'Brien but I think we ARE going to focus on coaches with previous NFL HC experience.

I would love to have Cower here, but I don't see it happening. But I can hope for it anyway.

Bob also said he wanted someone who could make adjustments...

Two good things that Bob said - the new coach will not have to learn to be a head coach and be able to make haft time adjustments.

At least that is what Bob seems to be hoping for.

I really hope McNair doesn't preclude himself from a guy like Horton; otherwise, the only one I'd want is a guy like Lovie.

We can resurrect Vince Lombari himself and we'll still be screwed with Rick Smith running this ship. Guy sucks at everything a GM is supposed to do.

Didn't they just get torched by the jags 1 week before us?

Ya they did but they have the number.3 defense in the league. they give up points but hell you could say they have the same problem as the Texans weak QB play. therefore the D having to be on the field more then the offense hell your gona give up some points, factor in fatigue and a team seeing every scheme you have drawn up for the game in 1 half I wouldn't doubt a offense adjust and scores some points.

Lovie is still a beloved guy by Bears fans I talk to here in Chicago. His issue was dealing with the GM to bring in a real offensive coordinator. They never had an identity on offense and the pieces they brought in never fit the OC's system. Players loved him, fans loved him. D was always tough. He got the most out of them. My fear is that you only get a guy 20% better than Kubiak and the team ends up being a consistently good yet never great team. I think there are better options.

:thinking: So...are we gonna bring in Tony Dungee first to make him look like a genius? F-aChuckie Barry Switzer 2.0 can keep moving. NEXT!

Playoffs...are you kiddin' me? Playoffs? Don't talk about the playoffs said:

Nope. Smith like Kubiak doesn't know when the pull a mediocre QB who is CLEARLY in over his head. The Kubiak/Schaub Soap opera was almost EXACTLY like the Smith/Grossman drama that Cost the Bears a Superbowl.

Playoffs said:

Wade is a good DC...but he IS NOT A HEAD COACH.

We aint going to the Playoffs said:

As Vince Young & Tim Tebow and countless others will attest. THE PROS AINT COLLEGE.

College football should have a [B said:
Playoffs[/B] system Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

They haven't won anything.

Playoffs? said:

is Brees coming with him?

Playoffs...seem so long ago said:

He got fired as an assistant for a reason.

Two words Baby ...Cowher POWER!

Lovie is still a beloved guy by Bears fans I talk to here in Chicago. His issue was dealing with the GM to bring in a real offensive coordinator. They never had an identity on offense and the pieces they brought in never fit the OC's system. Players loved him, fans loved him. D was always tough. He got the most out of them. My fear is that you only get a guy 20% better than Kubiak and the team ends up being a consistently good yet never great team. I think there are better options.

Lovie Smith got the Bears to the Super Bowl, so if 20% better gets us there then I'm happy.

Well said I don't see Lovie as the guy.

Lovie Smith got the Bears to the Super Bowl, so if 20% better gets us there then I'm happy.

I agree from that standpoint but I think he has a very good, Southern, quiet, good guy demeanor to him that will remind people too much of Kubiak...players too. I know it seems small but sometimes a little different direction works. I think Lovie did great work, but a lot of this info is coming from Bears fans here who still love him but thought his time was done. Grew stale.

he said he wants someone with head coaching experience and nfl experience. he said it would be the ideal situation for him.

i dvr'd it.
This. I think McNair needs to shake himself out of the "usual" and go get a great candidate like Shaw. He is getting great feedback from fans and media on terminating Kubiak. I think he will ride that wave with hiring a non retread.

Back