Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #261
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Bernard Pollard
Vonta Leach
Andre Davis
Wade Smith
Joel Dreesen

I would include Chris Myers as using a low round pick.
How many of those guys are still on the team? The point is that Rick/Gary didn't replenish the talent they lost in the draft and they couldn't replenish the talent in FA after they mortgaged the future in 2010 disaster. This philosophy worked out well for Rick. But not so well for Gary afetr Rick threw him under the bus.

I see that you like Alex Gibbs handpicked guys. Brown/Smith/Myers. Is it not true that Gibbs had full control over OL talent aquisitions/ZBS scheme's. If he didn't do you think a HOF'er like Gibbs would come out of retirement?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #262
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
Glover Quinn
Tj Yates
Trindon Holliday
Case keenum
Garret graham
I didn't see this post.

Reply is post 261.
Old 12-07-2013   #263
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How many of those guys are still on the team? The point is that Rick/Gary didn't replenish the talent they lost in the draft and they couldn't replenish the talent in FA after they mortgaged the future in 2010 disaster. This philosophy worked out well for Rick. But not so well for Gary afetr Rick threw him under the bus.

I see that you like Alex Gibbs handpicked guys. Brown/Smith/Myers. Is it not true that Gibbs had full control over OL talent aquisitions/ZBS scheme's. If he didn't do you think a HOF'er like Gibbs would come out of retirement?
The point is that all these guys were contributors, at least. You can't keep everyone.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #264
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Whisehunt likely best choice of former NFL HCs. We have seen what Whisenhunt can do with a QB (Warner) and what he can't do w/o a QB.
I'm not a Whisenhunt fan at all. He's a good OC but would be Kubiak v2.0 as a HC.

Anderson, Kolb and Palmer speak volumes about his coaching ability. Combining Whisenhunt's personnel acumen with Rick Smith's would be a disaster of Cleveland Brown's proportions for this team.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #265
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

I kinda like Whisenhunt. I want an offensive mind with a new philosophy.

If Rick Smith is so great, why are the Texans currently the worst team in the NFL?

Did he have anything to do with this predictament? If so he should be fired also.
Old 12-07-2013   #266
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
The point is that all these guys were contributors, at least. You can't keep everyone.
Agreed

But to stay at the top of the NFL you must replace them with likewise talent. Or you end up where the Texans are today if you rest on your laurels. Which is what Bob/Rick/Gary appear to have done this season. Much like they did afeter the glorious 9-7 2009 season. I see a trend developing with BoB/Rick.
Old 12-07-2013   #267
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
OK. So. For DISCUSSION purposes only, I threw together a quick list of some guys who've got NFL HC experience who I believe are out there. Some of them might not want the job, some of them might. But I thought it would be interesting to look at. This list is in no particular order:

Mike Sherman -- McNair and Smith know him.
Norv Turner -- Please, god, no.
Lovie Smith
Steve Mariucci
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Brad Childress
Whisenhunt
Dennis Green
Jim Mora
Brian Billick
Wade Phillips
Romeo Crennel
Mangini
Tony Dungy
Jack Del Rio
Todd Haley
Nick Saban
Mike Tice
Jim Fassel
Jim Haslett
Mike Callahan
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Raheem Morris
My list is bolded and just in the order you had them listed.

In my heart, I really think the job will go to either Wade Phillips or Jon Gruden.

I never even thought about Mooch. Neither him nor Billick seem to really want to return to coaching. Mooch could be a very good fit for this team.

Thankfully you left Tom Cable off your list. That dude is a joke as a HC. Reminds me of Jerry Glanville.
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013   #268
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gibbs was here 2008 & 2009.

Wade Smith came in 2010.
Who knows whether Myers was handpicked but so what?

Neither of us know whether Gibbs had "full control" of the OL selections. Myers was drafted by the Broncos Kubiak's last year there. The move was initially criticized as Kubiak trying to make Houston into Denver south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I never even thought about Mooch. Neither him nor Billick seem to really want to return to coaching. Mooch could be a very good fit for this team.
There were rumors last year of his interest in the San Diego job.
Old 12-07-2013   #269
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Wade Smith came in 2010.

Neither of us know whether Gibbs had "full control" of the OL selections. Myers was drafted by the Broncos Kubiak's last year there. The move was initially criticized as Kubiak trying to make Houston into Denver south.
But you can make an educated guess. Do you remember what a mess the OL was before Gibbs got here? Then how new players were drafted/traded for/UDFA signed? I was fully on board with Gibbs OL choices and didn't see it as Denver south. Only fans that had inferiority problems used the Denver south moniker.

Brown/Myers/Briesel were Gibbs guys wheter you want to admit that or not. If that weren't the case you would've thought the Gary/Rick would've fixed the OL earlier. BTW, I'm a huge Alex Gibbs fan, he's a my way or the highway kinda guy. Which didn't make him a good fit on the Texans country club type atmosphere lockerroom.
Old 12-07-2013   #270
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not a Whisenhunt fan at all. He's a good OC but would be Kubiak v2.0 as a HC.

Anderson, Kolb and Palmer speak volumes about his coaching ability. Combining Whisenhunt's personnel acumen with Rick Smith's would be a disaster of Cleveland Brown's proportions for this team.
Palmer was the QB when Whiz was there? My memory must be failing me.
Old 12-07-2013   #271
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I kinda like Whisenhunt. I want an offensive mind with a new philosophy.

If Rick Smith is so great, why are the Texans currently the worst team in the NFL?

Did he have anything to do with this predictament? If so he should be fired also.
A lot of the players and UDFAs we picked up got injured or got cut in that bizarre pre-KC moment. Part of me wants to know how much of that was influenced by by losing streak.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #272
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Palmer was the QB when Whiz was there? My memory must be failing me.
Yeah, not Palmer.

But... Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer, Anderson, Max Hall, Leinart.

If he hadn't lucked into Warner, he probably wouldn't have had any success at all.

The question is, though, if he comes in and takes the QB of his choice in this next draft, will he be able to work the same sort of magic he worked with Roethlisberger? It's not like he drafted Leinart, he just inherited him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #273
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, but Wisenhunt would be a terrible hire for a team in need of figuring out the QB situation. A very good argument could be made that Warner basically extended his job in Arizona a few years. I'd stay far, far away.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #274
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The question is, though, if he comes in and takes the QB of his choice in this next draft, will he be able to work the same sort of magic he worked with Roethlisberger?
What magic is that? They didn't ask Big Ben to do anything the 1st two years. He had one of the 10 worst SB performances ever. His 3rd year (Whisenhunt's last) was by far Big Ben's worst season.
Old 12-07-2013   #275
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, not Palmer.

But... Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer, Anderson, Max Hall, Leinart.

If he hadn't lucked into Warner, he probably wouldn't have had any success at all.

The question is, though, if he comes in and takes the QB of his choice in this next draft, will he be able to work the same sort of magic he worked with Roethlisberger? It's not like he drafted Leinart, he just inherited him.
Or made gawdawful trades to get them. Just say NO to Whisenhunt.
Old 12-07-2013   #276
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What magic is that? They didn't ask Big Ben to do anything the 1st two years. He had one of the 10 worst SB performances ever. His 3rd year (Whisenhunt's last) was by far Big Ben's worst season.
I'm not a big fan of Roethlisberger's so don't take this the wrong way.

But.

In his rookie year, Roethlisberger was 13-0 as a starter in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs. That rookie year, he had a QB rating of over 98. The team was carried by the running attack and the defense, but Whisenhunt was able to tailor the game plans in such a way as to keep Roethlisberger from getting exposed and exploited.

In his second year, Roethlisberger didn't play quite as well although he did still have a QB rating over 98. He didn't play well in the SB and his defense and running game carried him. But. He was the QB of a team that won a SB.

Whisenhunt was behind those offensive gameplans that got them there and won those games with a QB who, frankly, wasn't THAT good.

That's working a little magic in my book. A little sleight-of-hand razzle dazzle.
Old 12-07-2013   #277
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Or made gawdawful trades to get them. Just say NO to Whisenhunt.
What? You don't like how that Kolb trade ended up for the Cards?

lol.

Old 12-07-2013   #278
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK. So. For DISCUSSION purposes only, I threw together a quick list of some guys who've got NFL HC experience who I believe are out there. Some of them might not want the job, some of them might. But I thought it would be interesting to look at. This list is in no particular order:

Mike Sherman -- McNair and Smith know him.
Norv Turner -- Please, god, no.
Lovie Smith
Steve Mariucci
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Brad Childress
Whisenhunt
Dennis Green
Jim Mora
Brian Billick
Wade Phillips
Romeo Crennel
Mangini
Tony Dungy
Jack Del Rio
Todd Haley
Nick Saban
Mike Tice
Jim Fassel
Jim Haslett
Mike Callahan
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Raheem Morris
I just started a post quoting your list and giving my own brief evaluation of all of these guys but they all started looking the same. I either thought they all were lame at best or sucked at worst with the following exceptions.

1. Cowher- Too good to be true. That's why he won't even interview. He'll want his own personnel guy and that won't fly with Bob right now.

2. Chucky- I don't think he'll interview either. This job isn't glamorous enough.

3. Lovie- I'm not crazy about this one but he seems like the type of guy that Bob would go for. Don't know why he never could get the offense going in Chicago.

4. Del Rio- I could be talked into getting onboard with him. He had some pretty good years in Jacksonville....then some no so good.

5. Whiz- Reminds me too much of Kubiak at this point. Good results with a HOF QB, mediocre at best without one.

I really think he needs to open up the process to coordinators.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #279
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I really think he needs to open up the process to coordinators.
Actually, I think the process is open to more than just those I listed.

I think he's also open to NCAA Head Coaches who have NFL experience even if not at the HC level.

I think his "preferences" are more of a sorting thing than an exclusion thing, although I could be wrong about that.
Old 12-07-2013   #280
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wade Smith came in 2010.

There were rumors last year of his interest in the San Diego job.
Gibbs not only had full control of the O Line but the running game as well and that includes his Blocking TE and FB. That's always been a part of his contract where ever he has coached in the NFL and also the reason he left Seattle so quickly after signing on. They did not honor his contract and had a different opinion on players they wanted. Seattle went on to sign Tom Cable a Gibbs disciple in Atlanta. Gibbs was in Houston in 08 & 09 and his system was used for the most part until Dennison got here and began making his changes. As is the case with most Gibbs teams, his system works well for few years after his departure before the running game starts to breakdown and that is usually because of a change in personnel who were tutored by Gibbs in his system.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read