Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #241
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
...He thinks this team is just a few players away and thinks a more experience coach will take us there...I don't understand why there is so much negativity here lately?..
No one means to be negative just for the sake of it.

But a lot of people here are realists. And they're wary of McNair/Smith making the right decision. As they should be.

I think Texans management has done a good job of lowering expectations when it come to these kinds of decisions.

As a longtime Steelers fan, admittedly I've been spoiled. But I want to see the Texans have the same kind of success.

Note: As for McNair thinking his the team "is just a few players away": That's exactly the mindset that helped get the team in their current predicament.

After last season, they figured the roster simply needed a little tweaking to get them to Super Bowl contention. So they signed Ed Reed. Not smart.

It doesn't work like that in the NFL. Every year there's a new set of variables. Just because you were 12-4 one year doesn't mean you'll be 14-2 and in the Super Bowl the next year.

As someone once said, if you aren't working hard to get better, you'll get worse.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #242
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
...Can I steal the Boardroom Bob moniker from you? It describes BoB perfectly...
Absolutely. It's all public domain.

I was just trying to come up with an alliterative nickname for Mr. McNair, like Bottom Like Bud.

As a person, McNair strikes me as very likeable. But I just don't think he quite gets it when it comes to this kind of decision.
Old 12-07-2013   #243
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Note: For McNair to dismiss someone who doesn't have college or NFL head-coaching experience illustrates just how clueless he is.

Neither John Harbaugh nor Mike Tomlin was ever a head coach prior to being hired by Baltimore and Pittsburgh. And they're merely among the top HCs in the league.

It just shows that McNair really doesn't grasp the qualities it takes to be an NFL head coach.
Or that the engagement of his brain lags behind the engagement of his mouth.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #244
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Good summation, counselor.
Old 12-07-2013   #245
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1809 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nobody bats a thousand, but they should try too. C-N-D told us that Reed wouldn't be the Reed of old. If he knew that the Texans Dr's/Rick should've known this also.

All of the extentions/bad FA signings should've cost Rick his job. But BoB didn't want to pay off 2 yrs remaining on Ricks contract and 1 yr on Gary's.

Bottom line is the Texans are the worst team in the NFL. Rick was in charge of the team and while batting .1000 maybe unrealistic, Rick went 0 for this offseason and has only been about .300 since he's been GM with the salary cap/draft picks/FA signings. Rick is a major reason this team is where it is today.

But atleast BoB didn't go all in on the it's too traumatic thingy. If you truly believe that Rick Smith is the guy to lead this team to prominence that's your perrogative. But I will be calling out his mistakes. Nobody bats .1000 but to be a SB contender the GM needs to bat atleast .750 and I think that's too much to ask from Rick. In short I think Rick is in over his head. (Hope I'm wrong)

Watching his facial expressions during BoB's press confrence sickened me. He looked like a man that had no remorse for throwing his friend/mentor (Gary) under the bus. This man will never bring a SB to this city. He lacks character and is BoB's yes man. The good news for BoB is that Rick will make BoB alot of $$$$ while he continues to pull the wool over the paying customers eyes.

Unless BoB gives the new HC the power that he gave Gary and I dont see that happening.
What about all the mid season pick ups this team has found? How about the undrafted and low draft picks he's turned into NFL players. Yes he had a down year , but he's done more good than bad for this organization. He doesn't coach the players he just get em. How sure are you that the depth on this team is no good? By the coaching??? C'mon man , Rick can only do so much bro
Old 12-07-2013   #246
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I completely disagree and think you are pretty dillusional if you truly think that.
Texecutioner and I agree on... well... pretty much nothing. But we agree on this.

IF Kubiak had been able to show some "progress" and keep us in games, he'd still have this gig next year. And if he was able to put together a winning record next year and contend for the playoffs, I think he'd have been given an extension.

I don't even think we'd have needed to win all of our remaining games this year as long as we kept the margin of defeat small, didn't have a zillion penalties, and Case was given the opportunity to start. I think the close loss to New England had probably almost convinced McNair to keep Kubes.

I think McNair is afraid of changing coaches because he knows that lots of coaches are hired every year and all those coaches look like good prospects and most of them fail. Like Bum Phillips said, if you're a head coach, you've either been fired or you're about to be fired.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #247
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Neither John Harbaugh nor Mike Tomlin was ever a head coach prior to being hired by Baltimore and Pittsburgh. And they're merely among the top HCs in the league.

It just shows that McNair really doesn't grasp the qualities it takes to be an NFL head coach.
Yeah, well neither did Baltimore. Harbaugh was not the first choice. Jason Garrett was offered the job and turned it down.

This debate is almost amusing if it wasn't sad. McNair got slagged by some for hiring 1st time HC Kubiak who has then been slagged for hiring 1st time coordinators and now McNair is getting slagged for wanting HC experience at some level.
Old 12-07-2013   #248
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
What about all the mid season pick ups this team has found? How about the undrafted and low draft picks he's turned into NFL players. Yes he had a down year , but he's done more good than bad for this organization. He doesn't coach the players he just get em. How sure are you that the depth on this team is no good? By the coaching??? C'mon man , Rick can only do so much bro
Keeping loe rd picks on the team because you drafted them and trumpeting midseason FA pickups are not difference makers on SB contenders.

Name 1 of these type of players that are not named Foster that have truly been difference makers since Rick has been GM?

The reason these players are even on the rosterare because
1. Rick drafted them and if it's close between them and somebody who is an UNDA the draft pick gets the spot. (Excluding RB's)

2. They work cheap, the Texans are always against the salary cap and late rd picks/UDFA's fill the bottom of the roster.

3. Why do you think the Texans ST's are so bad? Could it be that Rick has done a bad job filling out the roster with the type of late rd/midseason FA pick ups you are describing?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #249
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, well neither did Baltimore. Harbaugh was not the first choice. Jason Garrett was offered the job and turned it down.

This debate is almost amusing if it wasn't sad. McNair got slagged by some for hiring 1st time HC Kubiak who has then been slagged for hiring 1st time coordinators and now McNair is getting slagged for wanting HC experience at some level.
Agreed

I want a proven winner with a SB ring as the next HC of Texans. Regardless of the no HC has won 2 SB with different teams thingy. The Texans as of right now are the worst team in the NFL. They should be thinking about hiring a HC that can make them relative again. Not thinking about winning a SB for the next 3-4 yrs. A great proven HC may be able to speed up that time frame by a yr or two.
Old 12-07-2013   #250
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. So. For DISCUSSION purposes only, I threw together a quick list of some guys who've got NFL HC experience who I believe are out there. Some of them might not want the job, some of them might. But I thought it would be interesting to look at. This list is in no particular order:

Mike Sherman -- McNair and Smith know him.
Norv Turner -- Please, god, no.
Lovie Smith
Steve Mariucci
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Brad Childress
Whisenhunt
Dennis Green
Jim Mora
Brian Billick
Wade Phillips
Romeo Crennel
Mangini
Tony Dungy
Jack Del Rio
Todd Haley
Nick Saban
Mike Tice
Jim Fassel
Jim Haslett
Mike Callahan
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Raheem Morris
Old 12-07-2013   #251
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Texecutioner and I agree on... well... pretty much nothing. But we agree on this.

IF Kubiak had been able to show some "progress" and keep us in games, he'd still have this gig next year. And if he was able to put together a winning record next year and contend for the playoffs, I think he'd have been given an extension.

I don't even think we'd have needed to win all of our remaining games this year as long as we kept the margin of defeat small, didn't have a zillion penalties, and Case was given the opportunity to start. I think the close loss to New England had probably almost convinced McNair to keep Kubes.

I think McNair is afraid of changing coaches because he knows that lots of coaches are hired every year and all those coaches look like good prospects and most of them fail. Like Bum Phillips said, if you're a head coach, you've either been fired or you're about to be fired.
So fear kept Gary employed far longer than he should've been?

If this is the case I fear that BoB will have to die before the Texans win a SB.
Old 12-07-2013   #252
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13424 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't want him as head coach, but Romeo Crennel can run a mean 3-4. If he wanted a defensive coordinator job here he'd probably be on the short list.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #253
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agreed

I want a proven winner with a SB ring as the next HC of Texans. Regardless of the no HC has won 2 SB with different teams thingy. The Texans as of right now are the worst team in the NFL. They should be thinking about hiring a HC that can make them relative again. Not thinking about winning a SB for the next 3-4 yrs. A great proven HC may be able to speed up that time frame by a yr or two.
So your options are:

Mike Holmgren
Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Brian Billick
Tony Dungy

Would you be open to guys who've GOTTEN their team to the SB and lost?

Lovie Smith
Mike Callahan
Jim Fassel
Whisenhunt

I might be missing some guys.
Old 12-07-2013   #254
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keeping loe rd picks on the team because you drafted them and trumpeting midseason FA pickups are not difference makers on SB contenders.

Name 1 of these type of players that are not named Foster that have truly been difference makers since Rick has been GM?
Bernard Pollard
Vonta Leach
Andre Davis
Wade Smith
Joel Dreesen

I would include Chris Myers as using a low round pick.
Old 12-07-2013   #255
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1809 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Bernard Pollard
Vonta Leach
Andre Davis
Wade Smith
Joel Dreesen

I would include Chris Myers as using a low round pick.
Glover Quinn
Tj Yates
Trindon Holliday
Case keenum
Garret graham
Old 12-07-2013   #256
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13424 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

James Casey.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #257
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Idk about Whisenhunt as Head Coach. OC would be interesting he has turned Rivers career around this year, We don't have a proven/once elite QB like Rivers on the roster. If we draft Teddy or stick with Keenum which I don't want wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with the offense.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #258
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Idk about Whisenhunt as Head Coach. OC would be interesting he has turned Rivers career around this year, We don't have a proven/once elite QB like Rivers on the roster. If we draft Teddy or stick with Keenum which I don't want wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with the offense.
Whisehunt likely best choice of former NFL HCs. We have seen what Whisenhunt can do with a QB (Warner) and what he can't do w/o a QB.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #259
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya I wouldn't be upset with his hire. I'm pulling for Ray Horton but Whisenhunt wouldn't be bad.
Old 12-07-2013   #260
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Here is a Link I read earlier about Whisenhunt and gives a hint the Texans being interested in him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hing-interest/

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read