Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #181
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.
LOL. You do realize that this is one of the top sports franchises on the planet, don't you? And that we already have talent on the team? And that we have a very wealthy owner that will give his coaching staff anything it wants? You do realize all of these things, right?

Everybody and their mamma will want this job.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #182
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126709 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
LOL. You do realize that this is one of the top sports franchises on the planet, don't you? And that we already have talent on the team? And that we have a very wealthy owner that will give his coaching staff anything it wants? You do realize all of these things, right?

Not to mention the #1 pick or that tax thing here in texas. Truth is rick smith will be on a shorter leash then any new coach. Bob has proven he can be patient with his coaches which oughta be a pretty nice selling point as well.
Old 12-07-2013   #183
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.
Agreed. We're going to get Lovie Smith (which I don't have a problem with), Jay Cutler, & we'll be able to use our draft picks to really help the team.

Only issue with that, is we'll be in QB limbo, wondering if Cutler can stay healthy or if Case can be the guy (deja vu).
Old 12-07-2013   #184
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Agreed. We're going to get Lovie Smith (which I don't have a problem with), Jay Cutler, & we'll be able to use our draft picks to really help the team.

Only issue with that, is we'll be in QB limbo, wondering if Cutler can stay healthy or if Case can be the guy (deja vu).
in this case (pun intended) either cutler succeeds or implodes and we draft a QB the following year in a great year for QBs.

i wouldn't mind cutler his certainly not my first option but i don't think his has bad as some suggest
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #185
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.
There is only 32 of these jobs in the world. Anybody in the business knows its dirty and cutthroat. probably would rather already know that I have to protect my back than to be caught by surprise.
Old 12-07-2013   #186
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Darrell Bevell hasn't been a head coach on any level that I can find. That pretty much takes him off the list if McNair really feels it's a requirement.
I agree. I'm not interested in him myself. He's only been there for one year, IIRC.

I would certainly like to see more experience. David Shaw is looking more and more attractive...as a head coach...not as a gay thing...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I like Ray Horton a lot too. That dude is a great defensive mind that could maximize and hopefully develop players like Brooks Reed, Mercilus, Swearinger and dare I say McCain.

As long as Wade is not the head coach I don't think we can go too wrong.

I don't want to see Cowher, Gruden, or Wade personally but out of those three id be ok with gruden if I we acquired him.
Old 12-07-2013   #187
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.
That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner
- a #1 draft pick to start your tenure as a new HC
- a defense LOADED with young talent at all levels
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position
- a division that is probably one of the weakest in the league
- a 2014 last place schedule to get rolling in first year
***added bonus - no state taxe*******

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I personally think they will.
Old 12-07-2013   #188
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Are you talking about Dallas or Houston?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #189
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner
Apparently you didn't see the press conference yestersday.
Old 12-07-2013   #190
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
I watched a little bit of it afterwards on my phone. What are you referring to?
Old 12-07-2013   #191
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
just stop. you're completely wrong and trolling now. This team may not be perfect, but it is very talented, has cap room, an easy schedule next year, the number 1 pick and a great fan base. A coach will love coming here.

I really want a defensive minded head coach. To be it seems better to have a defensive guy leading the team but then we need a great OC. Im just not sure who I prefer at OC yet. BUT I am all in for Ray Horton for head coach.
Old 12-07-2013   #192
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I watched a little bit of it afterwards on my phone. What are you referring to?
see the part in BOLD above
Old 12-07-2013   #193
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you talking about Dallas or Houston?
Dallas is no longer an attractive job IMO. Jerry Jones will have trouble attracting any decent head coaches because he's a terrible GM. He gets talent with no thoughts on team synergy. The only thing that makes Dallas better than the bottom feeding teams (AZ, TB, BUF, CLE...) is 20 year old history and/or pay.
Old 12-07-2013   #194
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dallas is no longer an attractive job IMO. Jerry Jones will have trouble attracting any decent head coaches because he's a terrible GM. He gets talent with no thoughts on team synergy. The only thing that makes Dallas better than the bottom feeding teams (AZ, TB, BUF, CLE...) is 20 year old history and/or pay.
does having a terrible GM only apply to Dallas?
Old 12-07-2013   #195
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
just stop. you're completely wrong and trolling now. This team may not be perfect, but it is very talented, has cap room, an easy schedule next year, the number 1 pick and a great fan base. A coach will love coming here.

I really want a defensive minded head coach. To be it seems better to have a defensive guy leading the team but then we need a great OC. Im just not sure who I prefer at OC yet. BUT I am all in for Ray Horton for head coach.
Not saying that Horton wouldn't make a good head coach but...he has no head coaching experience. That eliminates him from being considered based on McNair's requirements. Might want to find another candidate's train to hop onto because I don't think Horton's is heading to Houston any time soon.
Old 12-07-2013   #196
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
see the part in BOLD above
Good answer bro.

Let me spell it out for you.

What part in the press conference are you referring to as being a contradiction to hands off owner?

If you go into his insistence to play keenum and kubiaks insistence to play schaub then that is ridiculous to take turn that into a meddling owner.

He has allowed kubiak 100% freedom for the past 8 years. The only time he stepped in was when kubiak was a dead man walking and he didn't want the teams future jeoperdized by a coach that was on his way out indefinitely.

So let me know exactly what you were referring to to contradict 8 years of hands off ownership.
Old 12-07-2013   #197
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not saying that Horton wouldn't make a good head coach but...he has no head coaching experience. That eliminates him from being considered based on McNair's requirements. Might want to find another candidate's train to hop onto because I don't think Horton's is heading to Houston any time soon.
I think Bob may PREFER those things, but I wouldn't say he is 100% against hiring someone without head coach experience. I think he would be foolishly eliminating great prospects.....not to mention just because they have experience doesn't automatically make them better head coaches...
Old 12-07-2013   #198
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
does having a terrible GM only apply to Dallas?
Nope. If you've read any of my posts on Rick Smith then you'll know I agree with you on him. The difference is, if Smith is retained and screws up he can be fired. That's not exactly going to happen to Jerry Jones. I doubt the Cowboys get a new GM until Jones is buried.
Old 12-07-2013   #199
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

- a hands off owner
- a #1 draft pick to start your tenure as a new HC
- a defense LOADED with young talent at all levels
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position
- a division that is probably one of the weakest in the league
- a 2014 last place schedule to get rolling in first year
***added bonus - no state taxe*******

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I personally think they will.
I'm not too sure about the bolded part. Not saying we don't have talent, but I certainly don't think we're loaded. We have massive issues as ILB, NT, and in the secondary. Not to mention we don't have outside pass rushers and if we stay 3-4 we'll have to find 2 OLB's who can pass rush. Mercilus has been inconsistent, but I think he has some potential. In the offense, we obviously have a massive question mark at the QB position and if we can't find a good QB we're not going anywhere. Foster has been battling various injuries over the past couple of years and who knows how much he has left in the tank. Andre Johnson will be a year older and the obvious problems in the right side of our o-line. I don't think the Texans will be able to solve every problem, but they have some pieces they can build around like JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins. If McNair is really interested in a quick turnaround then he has to be fix the QB position first and foremost. I'm of the opinion you take the best QB available with the #1 because of the potential rewards. Then fix the o-line with good veteran players who can protect a young QB. I'm assuming Cushing will be back healthy so that will take care of the ILB but they must find good backups for him this time around. Lastly, they absolutely must find a couple of good pass rushers and that will make a huge difference on how the defense plays and it will make the secondary's job easier.
Old 12-07-2013   #200
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm with you. He didn't come off as "hands off" in the press conference at all, but that's solely based on my impression. The only time he deferred to Rick at all was the question about the draft which Rick totally sidestepped.

I really don't get where the "hands off" thing comes from. I think that's a myth that's been repeated so many times that everybody believes it. The fact is that no one knows what Bob does, what Cal does, or what Rick does except people on the inside and they aren't talking.

I don't really think it's a bad thing either. I really like the way Bob came off yesterday. I want an owner who knows something about football. It's better than an owner that thinks he knows everything about it.

If anybody has anything to prove me wrong, I'd love to see it because I've been wondering about this for years.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read