Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-11-2013   #61
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston '93: A Football Life

I thought it was an excellent documentary, and I expected nothing less from NFL Films.

I remember everything that happened that season, so very little was a revelation to me with the exception of individual experience with each player. I remember when Bud hired Buddy and the sniping immediately started in the press. I used to read every article in the Chronicle and Post about the Oilers (obviously pre-internet), as well as listened to the sports talk shows on news radio and coach shows on radio/tv, so anyone paying attention knew in advance of the season that there was division within the team.

I understand some thinking that they did a hit piece on Buddy Ryan, but dude was an a-hole. They could not do a piece like that if Buddy did not fulfill the requirements. He had no respect for Jack Pardee, left footprints on Pardee's head by reporting directly to Bud Adams, and immediately disrespected half the team with his constant criticism of the offense. And c'mon, taking a swipe at another coach during a game?? Can you really argue that Buddy was not an a-hole?

The history of the Houston Oilers can pretty much be encapsulated by three NFL Films productions:

Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League

While this is a documentary about the AFL as a whole, it does an excellent job of showing Bud Adams' role at the beginning and the early success the Oilers experienced. This early insight reveals a lot about both the direction of the Oilers in later decades with regards to Bud's actions, as well as the general course of the NFL after the merger to a pass-friendly league (which is on display with the run & shoot offense decades later).

NFL Films Lost Treasures: Bum Phillips

A fantastic documentary about the most beloved coach in Oilers history and encompasses everything about the '70's Oilers, Earl, and Luv Ya Blue. This is a magic time for me, as I was a kid and that atmosphere permeated everything in Houston. This is when I fell in love with the NFL as a fan.

A Football Life: '93 Oilers

Obvious subject of this thread, it did a great job of presenting the many facets of a franchise in turmoil and and the failure of a very talented team that could never find true success.

These are the three successful periods in Oilers history. I'd like to have a DVD/Blu Ray of each documentary. Sort of a trilogy for Oilers fans.

Last night was sort of strange watching the '93 Oilers. Like Showtime mentioned, so long ago but the memories are still so fresh to me. I'm glad they continued with the results of that season. The gutting of the team in '94 and the subsequent announcement to move to Tennessee in '95.

While I have never felt that I needed any closure as a fan, I did experience a weird vibe by the end and a sort of peace with all the history. Sometimes I feel nostalgia, but last night gave me a feeling that everything that happened needed to happen. Houston and Bud Adams needed to be separated, like a long dysfunctional marriage that had just been emptied of love.

I have given Bud some respect for admitting that his biggest regret was not allowing the Astros to move first. He knew he'd been played by uncle Drayton. But honestly, reliving those memories, I'm not even sure if losing our baseball team would have convinced Houston fans to give Bud everything he demanded. The love was gone. The heartbreak and disappointment of the team, and the deep seated disgust toward Bud Adams, was not something that could easily be overcome. He had no goodwill with the city. No championship history that bonds teams and fans. He was done with the city and the city was done with him. It is what it is, so no use crying over spilt milk.
Old 12-11-2013   #62
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68517 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Why do you keep short-changing this guy? What about his other stints as a HC in the NFL? You make it sound like he went from the USFL to the NCAA to the NFL. He turned around a pretty bad Chicago Bears team and took them to the playoffs and then went to the Redskins and did... OK. He got them to a 10-6 mark that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs and then fell back.

Then he was out of the NFL for 10 years doing the USFL and NCAA things.

He was a good coach with LOTS of experience.
I have a very edgy opinion of him, as really, the three most painful playoff losses in Oiler history were all on his watch in 3 straight seasons. The Broncos, where they let Elway somehow off the hook when they had that team dead to rights, or worse, when they blew homefield and the bye when they lost to a Giant team that was playing for nothing but pride...

Then the 35-3 game, then the Chiefs debacle.

Sorry, I just feel he sucked when all the chips were on the table.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #63
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I have a very edgy opinion of him, as really, the three most painful playoff losses in Oiler history were all on his watch in 3 straight seasons. The Broncos, where they let Elway somehow off the hook when they had that team dead to rights, or worse, when they blew homefield and the bye when they lost to a Giant team that was playing for nothing but pride...

Pardee was quiet dignity. He wasn't going to rally anyone or get his team to come out and stand on the other guys throat to end it. It's annoying but in the documentary I was struck by how one of the former players said "We didn't expect them to have any life left" when the Chiefs came out in the second half. I thought "That's the story of this town's NFL teams from Oilers to Texans". What kind of team mindset do you have to have to be thinking like that? Thinking like that after the losses to Denver and then Buffalo?

You would think that by that time the Oilers would have figured out that the second half is going to be much harder than the first half but you would be wrong.

The Texans have the same problem I think. They "win" the first half and are somehow surprised that the other team doesn't just mail it in after the halftime nap/juice-box break.

It's an odd mindset.
Old 12-11-2013   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He might have sucked when the chips were on the table but he didn't suck when they weren't on the table.

Fisher got his team to the playoffs in 37.5% of his opportunities (6 playoff years out of 16 full seasons). Pardee got his team to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years... 80% of his opportunities.

Granted, Fisher was able to get to a SB and lose a close one which counts for something but still, those are a lot of wasted years with Fisher.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #65
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68517 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He might have sucked when the chips were on the table but he didn't suck when they weren't on the table.

Fisher got his team to the playoffs in 37.5% of his opportunities (6 playoff years out of 16 full seasons). Pardee got his team to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years... 80% of his opportunities.

Granted, Fisher was able to get to a SB and lose a close one which counts for something but still, those are a lot of wasted years with Fisher.
And I re-state, I'm not a Fisher guy. I'm choosing between meh and meh imo

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You've got a point. Pardee had the most talented teams in Oilers history, yet could never lead them past the second round of the playoffs. And like you said, he led the team to three of the most disappointing playoff losses, one being a historic meltdown that still reverberates to this day.

Pardee seems more figurehead in hindsight. He was not calling plays, apparently did not have authority over his staff (especially Buddy in '93), and was forced to wear a disconnected headset because Bud thought it looked more like a head coach to have one.

Pardee is certainly a class act as an individual, but I'm not sure how high I could rank him on the coaching scale of greatness.
Old 12-11-2013   #67
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I thought it was an excellent documentary, and I expected nothing less from NFL Films.

I remember everything that happened that season, so very little was a revelation to me with the exception of individual experience with each player. I remember when Bud hired Buddy and the sniping immediately started in the press. I used to read every article in the Chronicle and Post about the Oilers (obviously pre-internet), as well as listened to the sports talk shows on news radio and coach shows on radio/tv, so anyone paying attention knew in advance of the season that there was division within the team.

I understand some thinking that they did a hit piece on Buddy Ryan, but dude was an a-hole. They could not do a piece like that if Buddy did not fulfill the requirements. He had no respect for Jack Pardee, left footprints on Pardee's head by reporting directly to Bud Adams, and immediately disrespected half the team with his constant criticism of the offense. And c'mon, taking a swipe at another coach during a game?? Can you really argue that Buddy was not an a-hole?
Yesterday, as the NFLN was promoting the show and showing up on several Houston sports talk shows, one of the guys associated with the production of the show made a statement I thought was interesting, but didn't appear in the final product (at least that I saw).

Gilbride's contract was up after the '92 season and the Buffalo debacle. Bud and Holovak went to Kevin and told him they wanted him to re-up. Gilbride told them he wasn't sure, and knowing Jim Eddy wasn't going to be back, he wanted to wait and see who the new DC was going to be before committing to come back. Bud assured Kevin that the new DC was going to be one of three guys - Wade Phillips, Vince Tobin, or Floyd Reese. Gilbride decided he was okay with any one of those three guys, so he went ahead and signed the contract to come back.

Everyone knows what happened from that point forward.
Old 12-11-2013   #68
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

The documentary brought back a lot of memories. I was in L.A. at a burger joint watching the game when Ryan attempted to assault Gilbride. Wow! I had forgotten or didn't see the player jump between them and after period of time limited memory thought he had actually punched Gilbride.

I recall Ryan being popular for his defense upon arriving in Houston and had been accused of put out bounties to injure players from opposing teams. I did not know that he brought division almost of that magnitude to defense against the offense of the same team.

Also, I didn't know that Spencer Tillman and Jeff Alm had come to blows, and was curious when Tillman said that he felt bad after telling Alm that something bad was going to happen to him only a week before his tragic accident. I'm curious as to what happened prior to them having the encounter what had happened for Tillman to have formed that opinion.

I really enjoyed the documentary as well as the behind the scenes that followed. It was nice to see the players that contributed and that they all appear to be doing well mentally and physically.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #69
atomictelephone
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 atomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
The documentary brought back a lot of memories. I was in L.A. at a burger joint watching the game when Ryan attempted to assault Gilbride. Wow! I had forgotten or didn't see the player jump between them and after period of time limited memory thought he had actually punched Gilbride.

I recall Ryan being popular for his defense upon arriving in Houston and had been accused of put out bounties to injure players from opposing teams. I did not know that he brought division almost of that magnitude to defense against the offense of the same team.

Also, I didn't know that Spencer Tillman and Jeff Alm had come to blows, and was curious when Tillman said that he felt bad after telling Alm that something bad was going to happen to him only a week before his tragic accident. I'm curious as to what happened prior to them having the encounter what had happened for Tillman to have formed that opinion.

I really enjoyed the documentary as well as the behind the scenes that followed. It was nice to see the players that contributed and that they all appear to be doing well mentally and physically.
I might be misremembering but I thought Tillman said that the week before Alm had pushed one of the offensive coaches which caused him and Tillman to come to blows.

Alm had had a hard time making it as a regular starter for Houston and allegedly he was more of a loner and didn't fraternize much with the other players. The friend who was visiting him the night he killed himself was something like a college friend/teammate and they were very close. Just as a minor anecdote, the night preceding they had gone to The Old San Francisco Steak House on Westheimer whereabouts the Target is now (among other things) before the tragedy unfolded.

Last edited by atomictelephone; 12-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.
atomictelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #70
atomictelephone
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 atomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respected

The David Williams baby issue doesn't seem like something that causes quite the same amount of stir it did at the time. Was that really one of the first time's that had happened and a player chose to skip a game over a baby being born? Seems like most of the players, even Moon, Jeffries and Jones in the retrospective all thought doing that today was still like breaking an unwritten rule and would cause the same consternation.
Old 12-11-2013   #71
atomictelephone
Rookie

And while Favre did the best old man impression, Brady and Peyton Manning getting up there now, what a stud Moon was that at age 37 that season he was still one of the top 5 QB's in the league at the time and would go on to have a few more good seasons left.

Hard to believe what he would have done given a full NFL career. Even with the fumbles and lack of playoff success, I'm glad he made the HOF. He definitely earned it.
Old 12-11-2013   #72
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

What was with the curly head carpet & mustaches back then?

How can any man be as slow as Cody Carlson?

How cool is it to see those familiar names with older faces?

Forgot about Jeff Alm... how sad was that?

Why wasn't anyone in charge of doing anything about the rot inside the organization? (Bud)

21 4th quarter points.

"We had not prepared one iota for the salary cap."

Oh, and Kevin Gilbride finally got his...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #73
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Just finished watching. Now I remember why there was so much love and frustration associated with being a fan. You just had to love 'em, yet they continually left you standing at the alter wondering what just happened.

The show also reminded of why I hated Bud Adams so much. I hope Bud is getting corn holed by Satan in hell.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #74
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
...I hope Bud is getting corn holed by Satan in hell.

Old 12-11-2013   #75
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Just so everyone knows what tipped me over the edge to make that comment about Adams was the parting shots of the Astrodome interior all torn up interspaced with shots of Adams moving the team. The imagery was just to much for me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #76
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Just so everyone knows what tipped me over the edge... The imagery was just to much for me.
I'm right there with you, Thorn. The director of that entire sequence of catastrophes was Bud, who then tried to rob us and then stole our team away to Possum Holler.
Old 12-11-2013   #77
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“It sits crumbing in the Texas sun, dwarfed by Reliant Stadium,” Charles says. “The Houston Astrodome, once dubbed the Eighth Wonder of the World, now looks like a practice bubble.

“Trapped inside this portal to the past are the ghosts of the Houston Oilers. Here in 1993, they were one of the most talented teams in NFL history – and, perhaps, the most dysfunctional.”

And then, from there, “Houston ‘93” gets really depressing.
And it sure did. After that they cut to the last game before the '93 season, in Buffalo, NY.

Until I saw the beginning to this show last night I USED to think the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" was brutal.
Old 12-11-2013   #78
BleedsRocketRed
Open the Roof!

Rep Power: 0 BleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respectedBleedsRocketRed is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football...oodbye-Houston

So sad... The worst starts at the 2:30 mark. Makes me relive one of the worst sports moments of my life. I was a teenager, one of the Oilers' biggest fans. It was the worst time for the breakup. It was like taking that one favorite toy from a kid, it was was devastating. It was so hard to let it go but now that I watch this, and look back after all these years it really puts things into perspective.

So many reasons why it just wasn't meant to be. The Oilers of those years, and the city of Houston were just not meant to be. It was a divorce that was just inevitable.

So much anger, so much heartbreak. The story of Houston professional sports.
Old 12-11-2013   #79
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
While it wasn't only two or three short clips, they also kind of seemed to go out of their way to make Mike Holovak look kind of like a buffoon.

To me, that's unfortunate, because while he clearly had his drawbacks as a GM, he was a tremendous evaluator of talent, and the Oilers rosters back then clearly demonstrated that, and he was more responsible than anyone for putting that team together.

everytime there interviewed him it look like he wanted to cry LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #80
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread got me to pull out an old book I've had and cherished for some time. It's called 'from Cannon to Campbell: An Illustrated History Of The Houston Oilers' Edited by Mickey Herskowitz (published in 1979 by Gulf Coast Graphics, no ISBN # given for those interested in Googling)

I think I read this something like 20 years ago and have found re-reading it has been like reading it all over again for the first time.

Pages 58-60 caught my eye........

Quote:
In the fall of 1959, Art Rooney, the Pittsburgh Steelers owner, and George Halas, the Chicago Bears owner, speaking for the NFL's expansion committee, announced the Houston and Dallas would be offered franchises in the NFL. The only stipulation was each team must have an adequate playing facility with a minimum of 50,000 seats.

Dallas had the Cotton Bowl. No problem there. But Houston only had Rice Stadium, one of the best football parks in the land. Intercollegiate football was looking at pro football like a monster that might devour it. In New York, Chicago, and Cleveland, pros were winning over the fans. Colleges were being forced to give up football because of attendance drops.

Jess Neely, Rice's coach and athletic director, didn't want a pro team using university facilities. A man with strong convictions, Neely was powerful enough with the board to sway it's vote.

So the NFL franchise that could have been Houston's went instead to Minnesota. A franchise was awarded in Dallas to Clint Murchison. Lamar Hunt, who had also bid for the franchise, was passed over. Hunt, upset by the turn of events, got the idea of starting a second pro league. One of the first persons he sounded out was Adams. The AFL emerged from their first meeting. It was to lead to the costliest war in sports history.

Houston was also seeking a major-league baseball franchise. But here again the National and American Leagues were reluctant to talk business because Houston had no major-league baseball stadium.

The plan to build a multi-purpose stadium with revenue bonds was presented to county taxpayers. They approved.

The Oilers had sold a record high 14,000 season tickets to followers who thought they were going to watch their team in air-conditioned comfort. They were crushed by the announcement that the Oilers were going to Rice.

County Judge Bill Elliot called for an investigation. Adams accused Hofheinz of purposely prolonging negotiations so he could lead the Oilers to a point of no return. They would have no alternative but to accept his terms. Hofheinz never dreamed Rice would make it's stadium available.

It probably had nothing to do with Rice's surprise decision, but in making the stadium available, the university probably saved the Oilers as far as Houston was concerned.

"If Rice had not made it's stadium available to us, I'd have been faced with making one of two decisions," said Adams. "I could have either sold the team or moved it. Nobody in his right mind is getting out of pro football these days. So I imagine, I would have been forced to have shifted the franchise." The Oilers probably would have gone to Atlanta.
So Rice was winning, making their money. They made the decision not to abet a threatening team into their backyard. I can understand that, business is business. Then just a few short years later, when Rice was floundering and seeing it's revenue hit the skids, it (Neely) opted to reconsider. Again, an understandable business decision.

The fact of the matter is Rice essentially force the NFL out and handed us Bud and the new league. Then later by reversing it's decision on letting the Oilers play in Rice Stadium, it essentially gave us all the years that would be Bud Adams and the Houston Oilers.

Our NFL franchise were the Minnesota Vikings, who played in a Super Bowl in none other than Rice Stadium while the Oilers were golfing.

Lol, I'm not suggesting the history would have been the same. It most assuredly would not. But it makes you wonder what would have happened if Roy Hofheinz and the HSA would have gotten their grubby little hands on an NFL franchise (of which Bud Adams would have no doubt been a part of).

I can see Hofheinz going straight for a nickname such as the .....Astros. What an unexpected gift it would have been for Roy's Astro"world". Making the teams a matching set ala the St. Louis Cardinals or New York Giants. Maybe 'Rockets' to compliment the Astros name even though the NBA Houston Rockets were eons away?

Who knows what would have happened in that other timeline. Maybe a freaking Super Bowl appearance or two. I can only wonder.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read