Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-10-2013   #41
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston '93: A Football Life

I'll be watching. On the one hand it seems like yesterday. On the other it seems a lifetime ago.

There are certain things about the Oilers I wish the Texans had more of. The word "edginess" comes to mind.

The Oilers, good or bad, seemed to take it as the business of football, whereas the Texans are more worried about the business of image and entertainment and the almighty dollar trumping all else.

I don't know, passing thought as I posted, I guess.
Old 12-10-2013   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I'll be watching. On the one hand it seems like yesterday. On the other it seems a lifetime ago.

There are certain things about the Oilers I wish the Texans had more of. The word "edginess" comes to mind.

The Oilers, good or bad, seemed to take it as the business of football, whereas the Texans are more worried about the business of image and entertainment and the almighty dollar trumping all else.

I don't know, passing thought as I posted, I guess.
The Oilers played in a different era, football was different back then, so the Oilers were different as well. But I know what you're saying, because it did seem more like football then than it does today.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #43
macho grande
Veteran

Section: thin air up here
Rep Power: 2875 macho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respected

What could have been..... :'(
macho grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #44
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed watching it even though it brought back some bad memories.

It was neat seeing all the old players again. Sean Jones, Haywood Jeffires, Ray Childress, Lamar Lathon. Lathon lived right across the walkway from me in an apartment complex on El Paseo across the street from the Dome. He was a helluva player.

To think, had the Oilers done what they were supposed to do that year, we would still have the Houston Oilers and the Houston Texans would have been the Los Angeles or Nashville team.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #45
atomictelephone
Veteran

Rep Power: 10582 atomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respected

Good memories and Warren Moon will still always be my favorite QB.

Also, nothing against Vandermeer, but '93 was the first season I remember really getting into football and watching the Oilers on a regular basis, but re-listening to bits of play by play Tom Franklin and color from Russ Small (think Bum was there too), brought back great memories. Tom Franklin easily has to be one of the most underrated play by play guys there ever was. Great voice, wish he was involved with the Texans somehow.

At one point right after Houston got the expansion team, I remember Russ was going to be named the main play by play guy for radio and then a few months later he got dumped and Vandermeer was brought in. Don't think I ever heard what that was all about.

Man I hope Gilbride ended up replacing that white Mazda pickup. That thing looked rough.

Last edited by atomictelephone; 12-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.
atomictelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #46
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Haywood has been at our tailgate several times over the last couple of years. He is an extremely nice guy.

I just kept thinking … twenty years later and we're still here.
Old 12-10-2013   #47
atomictelephone
Veteran

Rep Power: 10582 atomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Haywood has been at our tailgate several times over the last couple of years. He is an extremely nice guy.

I just kept thinking … twenty years later and we're still here.
Glad to hear he still shows up around town. You could tell the Buffalo loss from the '92 season really affected him and still does. Jeffires, Duncan, Givins and Slaughter with a bit of Gary Wellman thrown in. What a receiving corp that '93 team had.
atomictelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2013   #48
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictelephone View Post
Good memories and Warren Moon will still always be my favorite QB.

Also, nothing against Vandermeer, but '93 was the first season I remember really getting into football and watching the Oilers on a regular basis, but re-listening to bits of play by play Tom Franklin and color from Russ Small (think Bum was there too), brought back great memories. Tom Franklin easily has to be one of the most underrated play by play guys there ever was. Great voice, wish he was involved with the Texans somehow.

At one point right after Houston got the expansion team, I remember Russ was going to be named the main play by play guy for radio and then a few months later he got dumped and Vandermeer was brought in. Don't think I ever heard what that was all about it.

Man I hope Gilbride ended up replacing that white Mazda pickup. That thing looked rough.

Tom did UH football and basketball the past 4-5 years until this season. He is a great broadcaster and UH fans were pissed when he was let go.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #49
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The Oilers played in a different era, football was different back then, so the Oilers were different as well. But I know what you're saying, because it did seem more like football then than it does today.
It's just that even in this day and age I see teams out there that are committed to win, reputation be damned. They know that winning will bring all the fans you could ever want regardless and all the money to boot (to say nothing of a city willing to fork over dollars for a new stadium). The Patriots come to mind.

I guess I don't buy the 'different era' argument entirely and I acknowledge it could be due to the team we have now. Winning is still the name of the game because if you win, no matter your reputation, all those things you ultimately want will come.

Maybe I'm just a pissed off Houston sports fan, I dunno. I still haven't come to terms with the Astros and MLB lining the Uncle D and The Grinch's pockets while destroying the Astros both on and off the field.

The show was awesome, but I would like to have seen the show go two hours and cover a little more football and a little less of what floats the press's boat.

I'd forgotten some of what happened. Sitting through some of it was downright uncomfortable.

Like you all, it was great to see the players again. Lamar Lathon was a beast and since he was a Cougar was one of my favs that year. Mike Holovak looked like a beaten man through all of that.

Can't wait to watch it again. What a mess.
Old 12-11-2013   #50
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

ahhh there is dat word again CHOKE CITY !!!!

this doc reminded me of da Texans Total MELTDOWN !!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #51
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

It seemed like a hit piece on Buddy Ryan (not that it isn't entirely undeserved) more than anything else. Gilbride comes off looking like a saint really and Adams has only brief mentions when talking about the dismantling of the team.

It was a decent ride through memory lane, but it felt like the entire piece centered on Ryan vs the offense.
Old 12-11-2013   #52
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll see it tonight. Can't wait. I love old Oiler stuff, even though it will probably piss me off. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #53
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It seemed like a hit piece on Buddy Ryan (not that it isn't entirely undeserved) more than anything else. Gilbride comes off looking like a saint really and Adams has only brief mentions when talking about the dismantling of the team.

It was a decent ride through memory lane, but it felt like the entire piece centered on Ryan vs the offense.
While it wasn't only two or three short clips, they also kind of seemed to go out of their way to make Mike Holovak look kind of like a buffoon.

To me, that's unfortunate, because while he clearly had his drawbacks as a GM, he was a tremendous evaluator of talent, and the Oilers rosters back then clearly demonstrated that, and he was more responsible than anyone for putting that team together.
Old 12-11-2013   #54
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Just got done watching. And a minor depression stint has kicked in.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'll see it tonight. Can't wait. I love old Oiler stuff, even though it will probably piss me off. LOL
It will, but it'll also bring back tons of memories, good and bad. There were many things I'd forgotten since then. Watching that show last night made them come pouring back in to where it seemed like it was just the other. Remembering where I was during every game and every 'event'.

Seeing the defensive players I loved (and hated) watching like Lathon, Fuller, Childress, Jones, Dishman, McDowel, Orlando, Bishop, Montgomery, etc. was just awesome.

Simply one of the most talented sports teams we've had in Houston in my lifetime. They'd give the Luv Ya Blu era a run for their money imo.
Old 12-11-2013   #56
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That makes sense to me. He was the spark that Bud threw into the powderkeg that followed Buffalo. Buddy Ryan is just completely outside of what a guy like Jack pardee is about and forcing him on Pardee was a classic Bud move. I was never a Buddy fan but I did appreciate what he brought to the defense. I just didn't realize how divisive he could be at the time.

I look at that whole thing and think "This is what Bud builds when he puts his mind to it".

Adams deserved his disappointments. I don't think any of the other people involved (coaches, players, and fans) did.
Old 12-11-2013   #57
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That makes sense to me. He was the spark that Bud threw into the powderkeg that followed Buffalo. Buddy Ryan is just completely outside of what a guy like Jack pardee is about and forcing him on Pardee was a classic Bud move. I was never a Buddy fan but I did appreciate what he brought to the defense. I just didn't realize how divisive he could be at the time.

I look at that whole thing and think "This is what Bud builds when he puts his mind to it".

Adams deserved his disappointments. I don't think any of the other people involved (coaches, players, and fans) did.
I mean, I love what he did for that defense for that year, and I wasn't aware at the time how much he divided the locker room so that was new to see. But yeah I think it strayed away from talking about Adams meddling too much because of his recent passing. I think you are on point with your assessment of Adams doing what Adams does and deserving that outcome.
Old 12-11-2013   #58
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109428 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean, I love what he did for that defense for that year, and I wasn't aware at the time how much he divided the locker room so that was new to see. But yeah I think it strayed away from talking about Adams meddling too much because of his recent passing. I think you are on point with your assessment of Adams doing what Adams does and deserving that outcome.
People up here always wonder why I hated Bud Adams, yet remained a Titan fan and this team was such a reminder why. God i forgot what a freak Lathon was, and what a talented, intense defense that version of the Oilers had. Reminded me that Ryan was a rare risk so...

I gave it thought and went to my other board and grabbed this. Pretty easy to see why Bud Adams never won a SB. Just look at the teams HC choices and where they came from.

Mike Munchak (2011-current) - Munchak was a player for the franchise for 12 seasons and a coach for 17 seasons before being hired as head coach.

Jeff Fisher (1994-2010) - Fisher became the defensive coordinator of the Oilers in 1994 because of his relationship with Buddy Ryan. Ryan was the DC of the Oilers in 1993, and when he left, he helped Fisher get the job. When Pardee was fired during the year, Floyd Reese helped promote Fisher to head coach.

Jack Pardee (1990-1994) - He coached the Houston Gamblers (USFL) and the University of Houston before becoming the Oilers head coach. Bud liked hometown heroes.

Jerry Glanville (1985-1989) - He was the defensive coordinator of the Oilers for two seasons before being promoted.

Hugh Campbell (1984-1985) - He was Warren Moon's head coach in the CFL and out of his league in Houston.

Chuck Studley (1983) - Was DC for the Oilers that year and was promoted to head coach after Biles was fired midseason.

Ed Biles (1981-1983) - He was the Oilers DC for 1974-1980.

Bum Phillips (1975-1980) - He was the Oilers DC in 1974.

Sid Gillman (1973-1974) - He appears to have been hired because he was a successful head coach with the AFL Chargers and not because of any ties to Houston or the Oilers.

So when I say Fisher was the best coach the franchise may have had, that's like me eating a Ritz cracker while hungry and claiming its delicious. Anything tastes good in that scenario.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Jack Pardee (1990-1994) - He coached the Houston Gamblers (USFL) and the University of Houston before becoming the Oilers head coach. Bud liked hometown heroes.
Why do you keep short-changing this guy? What about his other stints as a HC in the NFL? You make it sound like he went from the USFL to the NCAA to the NFL. He turned around a pretty bad Chicago Bears team and took them to the playoffs and then went to the Redskins and did... OK. He got them to a 10-6 mark that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs and then fell back.

Then he was out of the NFL for 10 years doing the USFL and NCAA things.

He was a good coach with LOTS of experience.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #60
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I was at the KC playoff game. Did anyone else here go?
I was there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read