Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-05-2013   #1
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56098 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston '93: A Football Life

I'm definitely tuning in to this.

I was merely a kid back then and watched them almost every week but my dad was very much more into the Oilers than I was, obviously. I'm sure he'll be watching it as well.

Can any of you older gents that experienced it weigh in on that team and that season?
Old 12-05-2013   #2
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston '93: A Football Life

What time and channel is it coming on?

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #3
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
What time and channel is it coming on?
I can't remember if its a Monday or Tuesday, but check the NFL Network. I record all of the episodes so that I don't miss in case I'm away or forget.

Last edited by StarStruck; 12-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #4
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Tuesday 12/10 8pm on NFL Network
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #5
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

That 93 and 94 team were superbowl bound. I feel they were the type of team thst couldve beaten dallas. They had the qb,run game,and d line. No way they shoildve lost to buffalo nor kc the next season.
Old 12-05-2013   #6
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Tuesday 12/10 8pm on NFL Network
Thanks. I was trying to recall if Life and Backstory came on the same night.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting this, Vance! I have been meaning to do it, but kept forgetting.

I DVR all of the Football Life episodes. Excellent show by NFL Films, and they cover everything from coaches and players to concepts (i.e. forward pass) and seasons like the '93 Oilers.

I look forward to this one. Should be very cool to relive that season, especially when it came off the 35-3 debacle. I still have a Houston Chronicle (or maybe Post) headline that reads "From Choke to Joke" when the Oilers started the season at 1-4. Nobody expected them to win 11 in a row to finish that season 12-4.

Side note: I was at the last game vs. the Jets when Gilbride got sucker punched by Buddy Ryan. We did not know it happened until listening to the radio on the way home. That was friggin' nuts!
Old 12-05-2013   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
That 93 and 94 team were superbowl bound. I feel they were the type of team thst couldve beaten dallas. They had the qb,run game,and d line. No way they shoildve lost to buffalo nor kc the next season.
I think you mean 92 and 93. The 94 team went 2-14.

Not sure how you can say they would or could have beaten Dallas other than any given Sunday. Dallas had a QB, run game and dline also. In fact Dallas was substantially better both at rushing and rush D plus they weren't handing out INTs like candy.

1992 Dallas didn't just beat the team that beat Houston, they destroyed them.
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston.

Not seeing it.
Old 12-05-2013   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

apperantly half the team was on blow and were outta there minds LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston............
..........who handily beat the Chiefs (reg season). I need a ruling here.

RULING SAYS: Playoff wins trump reg season wins.
Old 12-05-2013   #11
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Houston '93: A Football Life

Not to get too negative here, but; I remember being ticked off at the Kansas City Chiefs later in the year (before the playoffs). They got blown out by the Vikings something like 30-10. IIRC, had they won, the Oilers would have finished first on tie-breakers. Kind of made the Oilers win in San Francisco meaningless IMO. On top of that the Chiefs didn't look so good in the wildcard game. I expected a fairly easy playoff win at home & when that didn't happen, I was fuming
Old 12-05-2013   #12
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

That 93 team had it all, great defense, top notched passing game, and something that previous Oiler teams lacked to this extent: An awesome running game! They were balanced!

When they beat the 49ers at Candlestick I thought that they would not be denied the SB. When it was determined that KC would play the Oilers in the Divisional game I marked that as a win right away, even if they had Montana. The pain of losing like they did to the Bills and Broncos I felt surely would compel the Oilers to finally rid themselves of their past demons and get the job done this time! 11 game winning streak, they were on FIRE!!!
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
On top of that the Chiefs didn't look so good in the wildcard game. I expected a fairly easy playoff win at home & when that didn't happen, I was fuming
I was at the KC playoff game. Did anyone else here go?
Old 12-05-2013   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I was there with a SRO ticket. Really thought that was our Super Bowl year. I was going to do whatever I could to buy a ticket. Wasn't necessary after Montana took control.
Old 12-05-2013   #15
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56098 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston 2013 will be on TV 20 years from now.
Old 12-05-2013   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I will DVR this for sure.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #17
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you mean 92 and 93. The 94 team went 2-14.

Not sure how you can say they would or could have beaten Dallas other than any given Sunday. Dallas had a QB, run game and dline also. In fact Dallas was substantially better both at rushing and rush D plus they weren't handing out INTs like candy.

1992 Dallas didn't just beat the team that beat Houston, they destroyed them.
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston.

Not seeing it.
I'm with you. That Dallas team was one of the best ever.

Would have been great to have an all Texas Super Bowl though.
Old 12-05-2013   #18
sandmanx
Veteran

Rep Power: 797 sandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was there in the upper deck. All I can really remember now is what a disappointment it was that day. I also remember that season during the 1-4 start that if replay was around then they would have won when played SD. I think it was Haywood Jefferies had a touchdown with 2 feet in called out, which if the rest of the season played out the same, they would have been first seed. Oh well, ancient history now and the city is still no closer to a Super Bowl 20 years later.
sandmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Those two years' Oilers team played as well as any team I have ever seen play, but never put a full game together in the playoffs. The defense was legitimate, the receivers were uncoverable as a group, and Moon was deadly accurate. The '93 team started turning things around when they found a running game with Gary Brown. But true to form, they dialed up a choke job in the playoffs.

I've set it to record, but I'll probably curse as much as I smile. Seems the Texans are picking up on the same track. Just once in my life I want a freakin' Houston NFL team to dominate front to back and win a Super Bowl.
Old 12-05-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I was there with a SRO ticket. Really thought that was our Super Bowl year. I was going to do whatever I could to buy a ticket. Wasn't necessary after Montana took control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanx View Post
I was there in the upper deck. All I can really remember now is what a disappointment it was that day. I also remember that season during the 1-4 start that if replay was around then they would have won when played SD. I think it was Haywood Jefferies had a touchdown with 2 feet in called out, which if the rest of the season played out the same, they would have been first seed. Oh well, ancient history now and the city is still no closer to a Super Bowl 20 years later.
I was 4 rows back on the 50. Had just moved to Houston a few months earlier and a guy took me to the game. I was still a Cowboys fan but wanted the Oilers to win because I wanted to see an all Texas Super Bowl. Would have been cool, but alas.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read