Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you think McNair WILL, not SHOULD, fire Kubiak?
Yes 101 75.94%
NO 32 24.06%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2013   #101
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Poll: WILL McNair fire Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You're passing your opinion off as fact.

As I've mentioned, McNair was going to buy a hockey franchise at first so it's not like he's some did hard football fanatic that just dreamed of having a football team.
Oh. Of course. If he likes hockey, he must think football sucks because he can't possibly be a fanatic for both. And since he's thinking about buying a soccer club over in England, that just means his real love is... what... horse racing? He did have a couple of horses in the Kentucky Derby.

Yeah.

Obviously not hobbies.

Quote:
And why would he change if he's not losing money ATM? Seriously?

No business person thinks like that. Was he losing money when he fired capers? No. But the point is that if you start to become less relevant in a market it's harder to climb back up that hill. Conversely, once you establish yourself as a giant, it's easier to maintain that success.

We really don't know his intentions as to why he wanted a sports franchise.

But I think you are way off base saying this is just a hobby. I think McNair is very proud that he has a very valuable franchise.
I've said several times that this is what I think. This is my response to all the people on here saying that Bob's a penny-pinching Scrooge.

This is what I believe. Of course, I'm going to state it as a fact because... it's what I believe. I believe that the people who see McNair as some cheapskate are wrong because they're making a huge mistake about what McNair's motivations are.

When it comes to things like this, ALL of us are stating our opinions as though they're facts. None of us know what's really going on in McNair's head or in the FO or any of this. We're all trying to look in and get some clarity.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #102
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

This franchise could go 2-14 every year for the next decade and it would still turn a profit.

Yeah, not as much as if they are winning, but the basic fact remains that the NFL has ensured that their franchises will make money regardless if they win or lose. The Lions being the sole exception because they are in Detroit and are on the hook for a really expensive stadium.

I have never doubted McNair's desire to win. Why? I do not know. I suppose it's because I do not want to assume that it's just a business to him. And while I do not doubt his desire to win (both as an owner fan and a business man), I do have some serious reservations about what we know with how he thinks he can consistently win.

We know about the "Patriots model" with McNair. But, would Robert Kraft be so loyal to his HC if it was not Belichick and his five SB appearances? Loyalty came directly from the success. Remember, Kraft was no so blindingly loyal to Pete Carroll, who was the head coach for three seasons (never had a losing record, btw), when Kraft FIRED him. Matter of fact, Carroll had them in the playoffs two out his three seasons (1-2 record) and was FIRED after an 8-8 season. This is the lesson that McNair should take from the so-called "Patriots model". Loyalty is a reward for success, not a security blanket so the head coach feels secure no matter what happens.
Old 12-05-2013   #103
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

People are talking about the "Patriots Model", but what I recall from back in the day was McNair talking about modeling the team on the STEELERs model.

It looks like InsideOp heard the same thing:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=29

I think the Patriots Model thing came up later... around 2006 or so. But I thought I remembered him saying something back in 2001 that we were going to try to model the team on the Steelers.
Old 12-05-2013   #104
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if we win out NO esp if we beat the Elite team in Denver

if we lose to Denver and Indy and ten then I think YEs that's a givin

I think he needs to beat Indy and Denver that's his only chance and we will see how the last game goes @Tenn
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #105
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This franchise could go 2-14 every year for the next decade and it would still turn a profit.
There is really nothing to dispute about that.

My point in this is that just because he's rich, doesn't mean he doesn't care about his profit margin.

Some of the richest people will argue about every dollar and cent they should be earning.

I'm not saying McNair is a penny pincher, but I do think he will take notice if he sees a loss of profits due to loss of fan support.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #106
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am not being cavalier about anything. I pointed out lack of butts in the seat does not represent the income loss some people imagine. You have any source for the game day revenue of the Texans is "well over several million each Sunday?" - whatever that means.

Let's try a common sense appraisal of your assertion. Several is something more than 2 so at least 3 and "well over" let's go with 5 million in game day purchases exclusive of ticket cost. $5 million dollars in gross sales is $70 per person. $5 mil in net to the Texans would be at least double that. Either way, ain't happening. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Fairly simple math IMO. What does the average fan spend at a game? $50? Seems high but we can go with that. For every 10000 people that don't show up the loss should be no more than $500,000 per game. I really think that is a really high estimate. I personally spend nothing in stadium when I go to games. The stadium would have to be less than half full to lose $2 million in concessions. I don't see that happening for a long time. Parking is more difficult to figure out. Don't most season ticket holders have parking passes anyways? Meh - just my opinion. I'll let you smart dudes hash it out. =P

Meh - Cak edited while I was posting and basically said the same thing with different figures. I'm out! =)
I'm taking that you guys have received a lot of paychecks but you haven't signed very many. Without all the accounting I'll use the KISS principle and basic arithmetic;

$1 million loss on public ticket sales.

50% of crowd could easily stay home for a 2-10 product, worse if product less than satisfactory year after year. Your $50 is a tad high but just, the avg fan spends outside the ticket price for parking, concessions, food, programs etc $40. Loss of revenue $2 million.

Loss of revenue on Suite Rentals = $500K

Then there are secondary reductions that result from any long term poor product displacement, marketing advertising, program advertising, stadium advertising, product advertising, etc.

On average a NFL club makes approx $300 million per year. If a club loses $10 million a yr from game day revenue that's 10% loss of revenue and a 30% loss of income.....Are they still making money? Yeah. As a CEO/CFO are you P'Od? Yes!....... Bottom line is they're NOT popping corks on Kirby Lane because they're losing money......I'm Done!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #107
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA4Texan View Post
I voted "Yes", because I don't see how he can keep him around and be taken seriously after Kubiak so obviously lost the team. Add on how many years Kubiak has had to get it right. There are no excuses left for how a playoff "Super Bowl bound team" is 2-10.

If he hadn't lost the team I would be certain in Kubiak's return next season, but since he has.... I just can't fathom how he would be able to keep him. (Without the fans and players losing their minds)

Even with my vote of yes, there is still that fear of "we are on the right track".
BoB wont do anything traumatic, so I voted NO.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2013   #108
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My point in this is that just because he's rich, doesn't mean he doesn't care about his profit margin.

Some of the richest people will argue about every dollar and cent they should be earning.

I'm not saying McNair is a penny pincher, but I do think he will take notice if he sees a loss of profits due to loss of fan support.
Remember BoB admired Bud as a person and looked at him as a mentor. He said this on Channel 13 after Bud's funeral.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #109
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I'm taking that you guys have received a lot of paychecks but you haven't signed very many. Without all the accounting I'll use the KISS principle and basic arithmetic;

50% of crowd could easily stay home for a 2-10 product, worse if product less than satisfactory year after year. Your $50 is a tad high but just, the avg fan spends outside the ticket price for parking, concessions, food, programs etc $40. Loss of revenue $2 million.

Then there are secondary reductions that result from any long term poor product displacement, marketing advertising, program advertising, stadium advertising, product advertising, etc.

On average a NFL club makes approx $300 million per year. If a club loses $10 million a yr from game day revenue that's 10% loss of revenue and a 30% loss of income.....Are they still making money? Yeah. As a CEO/CFO are you P'Od? Yes!....... Bottom line is they're NOT popping corks on Kirby Lane because they're losing money......I'm Done!

Other than the fact that you are just pulling numbers out of your ass. Where do you get that NFL clubs make 300 million per year?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #110
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
How are the fans perspectives on the Texans bad for McNair's businesses? If the fans are ticked off about Kubiak, how does that translate to some power plants on the East Coast, a Biotech firm, a Real Estate company, and some venture capital things?

McNair's not running some Mytiburger franchise that local people are going to stop going to if they don't like what he does with the team. The fans in Houston are NOT the people McNair's businesses deal with. The only time their his customers is when they're going to the games. And if he's not looking at that as his main source of income, then he's not that worried about what the fans think.

For someone like a McNair or a Jerry Jones, owning a sports team is their way of playing Madden. This is a game. They want to win. It's exciting. But if someone is burning a Schaub jersey outside the stadium, it's not the end of their world.
Far too much sense in this post.
Old 12-05-2013   #111
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Other than the fact that you are just pulling numbers out of your ass. Where do you get that NFL clubs make 300 million per year?
The NFL makes approx $9.5 Billion per year, (Forbes or you can Google it) divide by 32 teams. As to your derogatory comments, apology accepted, in advance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebur...nual-revenues/
Old 12-05-2013   #112
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
People are talking about the "Patriots Model", but what I recall from back in the day was McNair talking about modeling the team on the STEELERs model.

It looks like InsideOp heard the same thing:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=29

I think the Patriots Model thing came up later... around 2006 or so. But I thought I remembered him saying something back in 2001 that we were going to try to model the team on the Steelers.
Spot on TPN - that is exactly what I remember.

Quote:
Yeah, might want to get your basic math right before being condescending chief. As 2012 mentioned you are just making up numbers, but ...

Quote:
First off you said significantly more than several million per game. Now you get to $1 mil. Kinda big difference.

I don't know what you were CEO of but I bet your accountant knew $10 mil is not 10% of $300 mil. Big fancy business owner like you should also know $1 mil in lost revenue isn't going to be anything close to $1 mil in lost profits after all the middlemen and other expenses are accounted.
Old 12-05-2013   #113
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The NFL makes approx $9.5 Billion per year, (Forbes or you can Google it) divide by 32 teams. As to your derogatory comments, apology accepted, in advance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebur...nual-revenues/
You know amazon has 70 billion in revenue but only made 15 billion. Do you know the difference? Again you are making numbers up par for the course
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #114
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Other than 1.4 million not equaling 2 million, I'd add that losing $10 million a year in lost revenue is much less than what he'll lose by doing what you and I want - firing Rick Smith and the entire coaching staff.

I agree with the posters like Pencil Neck - McNair doesn't own the Texans just to make money. It's a trophy company. Prestige. Look at me. Does he want to win? Of course. That's more of the look at what I did mentality. Does he want to make money? Again - of course. I just think that winning is more important than making a little less money for McNair.

If McNair fires anyone it will be because of the record on the field and not the slightly less money in his pockets.
Old 12-05-2013   #115
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Far too much sense in this post.
Actually it is a BIG Bowl of Poppycock with a LARGE side Hubris. To pretend that one knows what it is like to be Jerry Jones and Bob McNair is nothing more than a whole lot of silliness. Until you can walk in those shoes, then and only then can one know what it is truly like to be Jerry and Bob.
Old 12-05-2013   #116
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
You know amazon has 70 billion in revenue but only made 15 billion. Do you know the difference? Again you are making numbers up par for the course
I don't make up numbers. The NFL makes $9.5 Billion. Divide by 32 teams. If a NFL team loses $3 mil per game day X 10 game days = approx 10% of gross revenues.
Old 12-05-2013   #117
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Actually it is a BIG Bowl of Poppycock with a LARGE side Hubris. To pretend that one knows what it is like to be Jerry Jones and Bob McNair is nothing more than a whole lot of silliness. Until you can walk in those shoes, then and only then can one know what it is truly like to be Jerry and Bob.
And that's exactly what you're doing.
Old 12-05-2013   #118
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Other than 1.4 million not equaling 2 million, I'd add that losing $10 million a year in lost revenue is much less than what he'll lose by doing what you and I want - firing Rick Smith and the entire coaching staff.

I agree with the posters like Pencil Neck - McNair doesn't own the Texans just to make money. It's a trophy company. Prestige. Look at me. Does he want to win? Of course. That's more of the look at what I did mentality. Does he want to make money? Again - of course. I just think that winning is more important than making a little less money for McNair.

If McNair fires anyone it will be because of the record on the field and not the slightly less money in his pockets.
The real truth here is you don't have a clue as to why McNair owns the Texans and you don't know why McNair does what he does. All you are telling us is about some dream you're having and you're pretending to be Bob McNair.
Old 12-05-2013   #119
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The real truth here is you don't have a clue as to why McNair owns the Texans and you don't know why McNair does what he does. All you are telling us is about some dream you're having and you're pretending to be Bob McNair.
So what are you doing? You're doing EXACTLY the same thing. And you're judging him on it.

If he was as worried about the bottom line as you say he is, he'd be doing other things. There are a lot easier ways to make tons and tons of cash than owning a sports franchise.
Old 12-05-2013   #120
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with you. I do not think he bought the franchise in a completely altruistic desire to bring football back to Houston.

I feel it is a combination of both wanting a winning franchise and a profitable business. To what degree of each is a matter of pure speculation, as none of us has the inside track on McNair and his public persona is always going to be crafted for a specific presentation.

Heck, we have no idea if the dude ever pounds the table and demands anything from his staff, or if he's cool like a Buddhist monk and never shows that kind of emotion. He's still sort of an enigma to Texans fans after 12 seasons, so a lot of the speculation by fans is mere projection.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read