Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top 10 in both Total Offense and Total Defense = last place???

AndyWin

Nguyenning
This has to be some kind of record, right?

4th overall in Defense
10th overall in Offense

2-10 record, last place in the NFL... wtf??? When's the last time a team ranked in the top 10 in both categories and weren't even in playoff CONTENTION around this time of the season?

That just highlights the problems with ranking teams by yardage per game. W-L's and PPG should hold the highest reasons for ranking a team.

That just highlights the problems with ranking teams by yardage per game. W-L's and PPG should hold the highest reasons for ranking a team.

No reason to not look at both but definitely points are more important especially where the discrepancy is so large, as in:

2013 Texans on points - offense 29th, defense 27th

Now that looks like 2-10.

The button says New Thread not Retread Thoughts.

Didn't the Chargers have the same thing happen to them that one year they had all those special teams failures?

I vote we stop counting points and just go by yardage. Texans in the Superbowl, baby! :spin::spin::spin:

4th overall in Defense
10th overall in Offense

This has more to do with starting field position than anything else.

Our defense can't give up anymore yards because the opposing team takes a short field to the end zone.

The offense has gets lots of yards because they start behind the 20 so often.

This has more to do with starting field position than anything else.

Our defense can't give up anymore yards because the opposing team takes a short field to the end zone.

The offense has gets lots of yards because they start behind the 20 so often.

It might be an issue, but they really do suck in the red-zone. Both O & D.

I vote we stop counting points and just go by yardage. Texans in the Superbowl, baby! :spin::spin::spin:

:lol:

Yeah, I mentioned this crap a week or so ago. Judging offenses and defenses by solely yardage is silly. Like our wonderful secondary giving up so little yardage just makes me LOL. HOW MANY POINTS DO THEY GIVE UP??????

:lol:

Yeah, I mentioned this crap a week or so ago. Judging offenses and defenses by solely yardage is silly. Like our wonderful secondary giving up so little yardage just makes me LOL. HOW MANY POINTS DO THEY GIVE UP??????

Only one point per yard, sir. Very respectable stud parading.

When you start around the 10-15 yard line every drive due to ****ty special teams, drive 70 yards, and miss a field goal you distort the numbers. Improving field position and getting tds instead of fgs(or missed field goals) is a big key.

This is what happens when you get to rack up yardage in blowouts and teams are ahead running out the clock. Basically spot 1 TD a game on tunovers and have the worsrt ST's ever.

This proves what I've been telling TK for yrs, stats are for losers.

I am just lucky to have an NFL team to watch. I am just lucky to have an NFL team to watch. I am...

4th overall in Defense
10th overall in Offense

2-10 record, last place in the NFL... wtf??? When's the last time a team ranked in the top 10 in both categories and weren't even in playoff CONTENTION around this time of the season?

Yes! We are the best worst team in NFL History!

4th overall in Defense
10th overall in Offense

Like The Hoodie said, "stats are for losers, the scoreboard is for winners".

So, yeah, whatever helps you cope, Texans fans.

But to me, stats are completely worthless when your team is losing 10 in a row and shows very little life for an entire season.

The only stat that has given me any joy this season is Andre Johnson hitting 900 catches, one of only 15 players to do it and the second fastest to achieve it. It means something to him, so for that, I care. Congrats, Andre. You are the lone bright spot in a very dismal season.

4th overall in Defense
10th overall in Offense

Good for fantasy football, not always good for reality football.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
The #Texans have lost their last six games by an average of 3.66 points per game.

Fun with numbers! The #Texans have lost more one-score games than any other team this year
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
5-0 in 1 score games last season.

The only stat that has given me any joy this season is Andre Johnson hitting 900 catches, one of only 15 players to do it and the second fastest to achieve it. It means something to him, so for that, I care. Congrats, Andre. You are the lone bright spot in a very dismal season.

Pretty good for a guy whose demise was reported 3-4 years ago.

Good for fantasy football, not always good for reality football.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN

I wonder if our close losses are a result of coaching, loss of key players to injury, or a combination of both? I tend to think that different coaching would have made a difference in most of those games.

No reason to not look at both but definitely points are more important especially where the discrepancy is so large, as in:

2013 Texans on points - offense 29th, defense 27th

Now that looks like 2-10.
I've never understood why they use YPG to rank teams. Maybe an NFL history buff will clue me in.

I wonder if our close losses are a result of coaching, loss of key players to injury, or a combination of both? I tend to think that different coaching would have made a difference in most of those games.

what's the difference between this year & last? We had the same coach making the same blunders last year.

Arian may just be worth 4 more pts a game, But it's hard to quantify b/c the 2 games we have won this year he didn't run it particularly well...and his best game before he went out was in the blowout loss against STL....plus Tate filled in very well for him last week....we ran it about as well as we have all season & we still lost by 3.

Once the losing slide gained momentum, it may have just been "intangibles" that turned it into a landslide. The Texans just had that losin' feeling.

Once the losing slide gained momentum, it may have just been "intangibles" that turned it into a landslide. The Texans just had that losin' feeling.
Agreed. 7 losses by a TD or less. Heartbreaking.:headhurts:

It was the last year (2006) that a team (Oakland) finished in the top 3 in total defense and finished dead-ass last. We have allowed 27ppg resulting is us being ranked 27th in scoring defense.

Guess not all defense is created equal. Also interesting, Pittsburg had the #1 ranked defense last year and failed to make the playoffs.

Turnover margin. In 2013 we're 31st(thank you Geno)/32. In 2012 we were 8th/32. QB throwing pick-6s is a killer.

Turnover margin. In 2013 we're 31st(thank you Geno)/32. In 2012 we were 8th/32. QB throwing pick-6s is a killer.

Can't believe it took this long for somebody to mention the turnover margin. We went from top 10, to 31st in one year. Nothing will kill you more than turnover margin and it is the backbone of our collapse.

Back