Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-12-2014   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5 by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've been trying to like Carr because the national guys do, but I'm just not as high on him as everyone else. Every time I watch him all I see is Davante Adams making him look good. The rotoworld link that was posted the other day really confirmed some of my beliefs on him.

And yes, I'll have a top 32 out in the next couple of days.

I'm with you on Carr , I almost got caught up in the hype , then watched how he struggles against pressure .... If he's struggling in college , you can expect those struggles to continue in the NFL where the pressure is increased.

I might drop Carr (and Boyd) behind Wyoming's Brett Smith .... & I'm a little higher on Fales than you.
Here's my QB list as o now , which is subject to change ...

1. Johnny Manziel – Texas A&M
2. Blake Bortles – UCF
3. Teddy Bridgewater – Louisville
4. Zach Mettenberger – LSU
5. Brett Smith – Wyoming
6. Derek Carr – Fresno St
7. David Fales – San Jose St
8. Connor Shaw – South Carolina
9. Tajh Boyd – Clemson
10. Jimmy Garoppolo – Eastern Illinois

Same guy's , just shuffled around a bit .

Cant wait to see your top 32 and compare.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #42
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why so low on Boyd, Corrosion?
Old 01-12-2014   #43
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole thing makes me wonder. This year's QB class seems to be deep with decent prospects but no Luck-type guys who would scream "easy choice for #1 pick".

So if you are drafting a QB high, do you go all-out with a very high pick getting the very best of this lot, or if you think there's not a huge drop off between the top couple of names and (say) the next five, do you not go after a Bridgewater or Manziel in the first round and instead meet other needs with players more dominant at their position in the first round, and go for someone like Mettenberger or Fales in the (say) third round if they're still on the board?
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #44
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This whole thing makes me wonder. This year's QB class seems to be deep with decent prospects but no Luck-type guys who would scream "easy choice for #1 pick".

So if you are drafting a QB high, do you go all-out with a very high pick getting the very best of this lot, or if you think there's not a huge drop off between the top couple of names and (say) the next five, do you not go after a Bridgewater or Manziel in the first round and instead meet other needs with players more dominant at their position in the first round, and go for someone like Mettenberger or Fales in the (say) third round if they're still on the board?
Depends on FO mentality.

"Win now" suggests Bridgewater or Manziel. They start from day 1 and we'll see what happens.

If you take Mettenberger, Boyd, Smith, etc. you're almost positively having them sit behind a veteran for at least a year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #45
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

The difference in TB and Mett/Fales is night and day.

One scenario you draft a QB in the 1st next year with a top 5 pick, the other you are addressing positions of need in the draft.

I posted the below in one of Bah007's other threads. I posed this question, heard his response, and took away from it that he (Zach Mett) still doesn't belong. I'd like to hear what others have to say since there is some buzz going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
What is everyone's obsession with Zach Met? Can someone please explain to me what I am missing?

Yeah, he was pretty good in the SEC under Cam Cameron, but he was still wildly inconsistent.

I like his height, build, and arm obviously but that's pretty much where I draw the line. Anyone can have awesome games against UAB or Kent State, but where were those games against the "SEC Competition" that SEC fans pride themselves on?

I've seen this chatter going on for a while and just haven't said anything, but since you made this I will ask.

For me, he was a guy that ran a 5.2 before he tore his ACL and I highly doubt he's Adrian Peterson so I doubt he comes back better. He is Mike Glennon II. A career 5-8 win QB until his rookie contract ends and he becomes a journeyman backup.

Obviously my 2 cents. Feel free to educate me if I'm ignorant.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #46
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The difference in TB and Mett/Fales is night and day.
It is significant. But I don't think the gap is as large between a potential high 1st rounder and 3rd rounder at QB as it is in many other years. There are a lot of QBs this year with round 1-3 draft potential even though there really aren't the compelling can't-miss "franchise" guys out there. Of course, some thought Ryan Leaf would be franchise, and then there was JaMarcus Russell. And on the flip side, Brady was a 6th rounder and Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #47
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The gap between 1st rd QB and 3rd QB might be smaller than other positions, but the importance of 'fixing' that position is much greater than any other.

I am firmly in the camp of deciding between TB, Manziel and Bortles and pulling the trigger at 1:1 and never looking back (hopefully).
Old 01-12-2014   #48
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Why so low on Boyd, Corrosion?
Before the season I had Boyd rated as the #1 Sr QB in this draft. My how that has changed.

Mechanically he's not bad , pretty solid footwork , ball handling skills are solid and has a sound throwing motion .... When things are going good for him he can be above average ...

He doesn't have the strongest or most accurate arm ... but the biggest thing to me is mental breakdowns , especially when he gets hit a couple times early in a game ..... everything just falls apart. Mechanics , body language , footwork ... the foundation crumbles.

He just doesn't seem to have that mental toughness .... You watch Manziel get popped , he jumps up and starts talking smack .... Bridgewater and Bortles show that mental toughness too .... that top group takes a hit and rise to the occasion ..... These guy's show that "will to win." I just don't see that same mental toughness from Boyd.

I keep seeing flashbacks of .... McNabb puking on the field.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Last edited by Corrosion; 01-12-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2014   #49
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr dropping in the rankings is a good thing for him. Going in the 2nd might allow the team to sit him for a season and let him learn while these 1st rounders are going to be thrown in the fire.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #50
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I keep seeing flashbacks of .... McNabb puking on the field.
lol, weren't you the one that brought that up in another thread only to have like 10 DIFFERENT people tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about?

I agree w/ your assessment on Boyd though. When he's pushed he crumbles. He will fail in the NFL. He's on my Do Not Draft ever list. He will get spot starts as the pros and win against a horrible defense that didn't game plan for him, get a few more starts and fail then be a journey-man backup.

I think there will only be 4 QBs that will have starting QB careers in this draft.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
lol, weren't you the one that brought that up in another thread only to have like 10 DIFFERENT people tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about?
Nope , you don't know what you are talking about ....

Either way , wasn't me who made mention of it in any recent posts (besides the one you just quoted).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-13-2014   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
FTW, you are thinking of steelb and he made an assertion about the 2004 playoffs/SB. That was what was debunked.
Old 01-13-2014   #53
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
FTW, you are thinking of steelb and he made an assertion about the 2004 playoffs/SB. That was what was debunked.
You happen to know what thread that conversation is in ??

What exactly was debunked ... ??

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-13-2014   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Either way , wasn't me who made mention of it in any recent posts (besides the one you just quoted).
I posted the post he is talking about.

Appears I was right and only 2 people said I was wrong.

Carry on
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You happen to know what thread that conversation is in ??

What exactly was debunked ... ??
Don't recall the thread. IIRC the assertion was something about not wanting a QB who throws up in the huddle in the playoffs/SB (can't remember which). Debunked might have been too strong. In support was a statement from TO. Against were statements from multiple other witnesses including folks in the huddle.
Old 01-13-2014   #56
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Don't recall the thread. IIRC the assertion was something about not wanting a QB who throws up in the huddle in the playoffs/SB (can't remember which). Debunked might have been too strong. In support was a statement from TO. Against were statements from multiple other witnesses including folks in the huddle.
Doesn't look as if he farted in that photo to me

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-24-2014   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bah, I see that you projected Zack Martin to Guard.

I was studying him as part of the study on OT, and I really liked him.
I didn't read about him at all beforehand.
Now that I did, I saw the 32-1/2 arms (which I don't think are terribly short.)
He plays with such good pad level and leverage, I don't think arm length is that much of a problem.

I also read that he has been impressing at the Senior bowl practice, which doesn't surprise me at all.
I see him as a first rounder; I think he's at least top 5 as an OT.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

He plays with such good pad level and leverage, I don't think arm length is that much of a problem.

I also read that he has been impressing at the Senior bowl practice, which doesn't surprise me at all.
Was stoning everyone at Senior practices. I think he can play at T and will be a 1st rounder.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #59
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

He's a first rounder. I think he'll be a better Guard than Tackle, but he is capable of playing RT.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #60
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Performed better at OT than OG at Senior Bowl which seems to have surprised some people because of his short arms.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read