Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-12-2014   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State

I've been doing some 'research' and am intrigued by this guy.

He is a bit on the light side, but does anyone think that he might be viable in a 3-4?

Don't think he is heavy enough to set the edge, but do you think he can add weight enough to perhaps transition inside?

Love the potential he has to impact the passing game.

Old 02-13-2014   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State

Tampa had an incredibly light set of LBs. Shelton Quarles and Ian Gold both went 225 lbs, Hardy Nickerson at 230 lbs and Derrick Brooks was 235 lbs but that was an unconventional 4-3. Thomas Davis goes 230 lbs again in a 4-3. Bart Scott played inside in a 3-4 at 235 lbs and also Lawrence Timmons. Probably best and closest is Navarro Bowman at 230 lbs. Most of those guys are a couple inches shorter. Its not impossible but he'd be a project.
Old 02-13-2014   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

He has intrigued me as well. I'm not worried about his slim build, once in the NFL he'll add some bulk but hopefully not to much because I want him to stay fast. He's got lose hips, height and long arms, and coverage skills along with blitzing speed and potential. I'd love to see what he could do at ILB next to Cushing. He's got the raw athletic potential that just needs to be coached. He's definitely the type of ILB that I'd look for, but I think he could play any of our 3-4 LB positions. He or Christian Jones or both would be a nice addition(s) to this team, we definitely could use the athleticism and speed. If we could fill a position or 2 in FA with starters then I'd definitely take Smith in the 3rd.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he has the frame to add a ton of weight. He looks pretty maxed out. Don't think he's a fit in a 3-4. Looks like a great 4-3 WLB prospect though. Great instincts and top notch athleticism.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't think he has the frame to add a ton of weight. He looks pretty maxed out. Don't think he's a fit in a 3-4. Looks like a great 4-3 WLB prospect though. Great instincts and top notch athleticism.
Pretty much my thoughts. He has excellent instincts and if I could be assured that he would add and keep the weight/strength, I would be all over him. He's listed at 218, but who knows what he actually weighs. If we did decide to take on the project, I can assure that he would be an excellent special teams player in the meantime.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
^^^^
This

If I'm the Lions (I'm picking for them in the TT Mock Drat) and Smith is there in the 3rd he's my pick. The main thing the Lions defense is missing is a LB that can cover the TE down the seam. Smith can do this with ease.

I don't think it would be a reach to think Smith can add 7-10 Lbs witout losing speed. One thing is for sure, Smith is a playmaker and the Lions surely could use a few of those.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #7
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe he makes it to round 3. He's too good and will show out at the combine.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2014   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could play WLB or SS depending on the scheme. He's got some Kam Chancellor in him. I don't like him at LB in a 34.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like all our LBs get abused in coverage, with passing becoming more and more prolific, we need to upgrade that aspect of the D.

Will be eager to see his combine performance.
Old 02-13-2014   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I feel like all our LBs get abused in coverage, with passing becoming more and more prolific, we need to upgrade that aspect of the D.

Will be eager to see his combine performance.
That's why I prefer a base nickel defense at the pro level. Put more speed on the field. But you need four linemen who can rush the passer and stop the run. You also need one LB who can cover the field when necessary and one S who can come up and play the run when necessary.
Old 02-13-2014   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That's why I prefer a base nickel defense at the pro level. Put more speed on the field. But you need four linemen who can rush the passer and stop the run. You also need one LB who can cover the field when necessary and one S who can come up and play the run when necessary.
I feel Swearinger can be that safety, Smith can be a great compliment to Cushing. If you play some 3-3-5 fronts add in Mercilus and that is a great blend.
Old 02-13-2014   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I feel Swearinger can be that safety, Smith can be a great compliment to Cushing. If you play some 3-3-5 fronts add in Mercilus and that is a great blend.
I agree on Swearinger. He has the potential.

Smith would be great in a system that utilizes some 3-3-5. He could float back and forth between LB and S depending on the situation, thus maximizing his skillset.
Old 02-13-2014   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

The line between those 2 positions is blurring in the new pass happy NFL. I've been saying it for a couple years now, you need at least 1 or better yet 2 ILB's in a 3-4 that can handle pass coverage. Teams are throwing 60-70% of the time so the old school ILB's built like a tank to handle O-linemen and stop the run are major pass coverage liabilities. As for Telvin Smith I'd love to have someone like him on the Texans and would take him in the 3rd if available, depending on how many spots we can fix in FA and scratch off our list of needs. He can handle the pass coverage aspect of the game and his quickness up the middle on a delayed blitz would be nice. He's got the height that adding another 15 lbs. shouldn't hurt his speed, and any weight added would be the right kind of weight in an NFL strength and conditioning program. If he's added 5-10 lbs. since that 218 weigh-in and is still fast at the Combine then he won't be available in the 3rd.
Old 02-13-2014   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Like him as a player, don't think he's a fit for our scheme as I understand it. Adamant about playing LB, and I think he should.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing about him is that he has consistently faced and overcome adversity. There was always a talented player or two pushing him at Florida State, but he always outperformed them on the field. He plays with such high intensity and with such great instincts, it was hard for the staff to take him off the field.

If you take him, I think you'll get a player that works hard and competes every single day. You'd be getting a hungry and intense player.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #16
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

from what i have read Roc likes converting typical OLB to play at ILB in his system mostly due to there ability to shed blocks. don't think smith fits that billing due to his size. but what people have said about pass coverage LBs he certainly fits that.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #17
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

218lbs.

That is soooo small for a LB.

Still love to have him though.

What round are you thinking he'll be gone by?

Too small for the 2nd now?
Old 02-23-2014   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Reading up on Dion Bailey, seems like a similiar sort of prospect.

More safety than LB but still a tweener style of play.

Might be a later round/cheaper option that Smith.
Old 02-23-2014   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Reading up on Dion Bailey, seems like a similiar sort of prospect.

More safety than LB but still a tweener style of play.

Might be a later round/cheaper option that Smith.
Not a fan of Bailey.

Smith appears to have Safety athleticism but plays LB.

Bailey appears to have LB athleticism but plays S.
Old 02-24-2014   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
218lbs.

That is soooo small for a LB.

Still love to have him though.

What round are you thinking he'll be gone by?

Too small for the 2nd now?
If he runs well, which I expect he will, I think he'll go in the mid 2nd round. I hope that maybe we can trade down at 2.1 and get extra picks so that we can get a good OT and Smith.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read