Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-06-2014   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84272 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trevone Boykin

Trevone Boykin, QB, TCU, 0602, 205

Touted as the next possible Russell Wilson. Boykin is a JR and is likely returning to school next year. Worth keeping an eye on. Now playing Iowa St on ABC.

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-foot...in_750069.html
Old 12-06-2014   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 230481 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trevone Boykin

He should definitely go back to school and hopefully he knows that. He's having a great year but he is nothing close to a NFL QB prospect right now.

IMO, the only ways he is similar to Wilson are that he is black and he is athletic.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014   #3
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84272 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He should definitely go back to school and hopefully he knows that. He's having a great year but he is nothing close to a NFL QB prospect right now.

IMO, the only ways he is similar to Wilson are that he is black and he is athletic.
Your opinion differs with that of Gil Brandt.
Old 12-06-2014   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 230481 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Your opinion differs with that of Gil Brandt.
Fine by me.

I respect his opinions but I disagree with him a lot these days. There was a time when Brandt was the best. IMO, the game has passed him by.
Old 12-06-2014   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fine by me.

I respect his opinions but I disagree with him a lot these days. There was a time when Brandt was the best. IMO, the game has passed him by.
I think he's only gotten better. There are still many who seek out his advice.
Old 12-06-2014   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he's only gotten better. There are still many who seek out his advice.
Fair enough. Just because people still seek him out doesn't mean he is always right though.

We can agree to disagree here. I have nothing but respect for Brandt. But I don't agree with him here.
Old 12-06-2014   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 274291 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Boykin

Think he would be better served returning to school but he's been making big strides this year
Shouted out after the drafting of KJo
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2014   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107034 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Define reason to leave school early? Does he already have degree? Is he concerned that he would jeopardize his future pro career because of injury? He needs the money to support his family or is it because he is NFL ready now?

I agree w/JB & bah he Would be more prepared & polished if he stayed another year. Could be right about where Mariota was last year this time, & how's that working for him? If it's one of the other reasons listed above then I could certainly understand decision.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 422222 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Define reason to leave school early? Does he already have degree? Is he concerned that he would jeopardize his future pro career because of injury? He needs the money to support his family or is it because he is NFL ready now?

I agree w/JB & bah he Would be more prepared & polished if he stayed another year. Could be right about where Mariota was last year this time, & how's that working for him? If it's one of the other reasons listed above then I could certainly understand decision.
Who's running TCU now? Is it the same group that produced Dalton? If so, I can see the value of returning another season & further development of his craft. If it's a different bunch all together that will continue to benefit off his athleticism... I don't think he's going to learn any more than he knows now.

Not saying that I think he should come out early, I just don't see further development value from what I've seen of his highlights & what little bit I saw of today's game.

He also looked like he had smallish hands.
Old 12-06-2014   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Who's running TCU now? Is it the same group that produced Dalton? If so, I can see the value of returning another season & further development of his craft. If it's a different bunch all together that will continue to benefit off his athleticism... I don't think he's going to learn any more than he knows now.

Not saying that I think he should come out early, I just don't see further development value from what I've seen of his highlights & what little bit I saw of today's game.

Dalton's OC/QB coach is the HC at Memphis now.

Boykin is basically playing in a version of the Mike Leach offense with some added wrinkles to take advantage of his athleticism, so he is not going to improve mentally as a pro prospect by returning. But I think the game experience would benefit him.

I also think that he is very far from a slam dunk as a NFL QB prospect so I would like to see him return so he can have another great year playing in college.
Old 12-06-2014   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 274291 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

TCU has new OC and some of the coaches
Old 12-06-2014   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
TCU has new OC and some of the coaches
TCU is more explosive offense since Dalton was there. Patterson still runs the D. FTR I too would like to see Boykin return and get his comp % up over 60%. I believe he will because next year TCU will be

L_L_O_O_O_A_A_A_D_D_D_E_E_E_D_D_D

and this year he's a likely Day 3 pick. With a BIG year next year he could be a Day 1 pick.
Old 12-06-2014   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 505520 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, Gil gets too close to prospects and becomes a bit of a cheerleader for some.

He had Manziel as the #1 prospect in the draft and Tom Savage as #41st best prospect and McCarron as 52nd. He spoke to Manziel several times a week.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 578451 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yeah, Gil gets too close to prospects and becomes a bit of a cheerleader for some.

He had Manziel as the #1 prospect in the draft and Tom Savage as #41st best prospect and McCarron as 52nd. He spoke to Manziel several times a week.
Weird. I heard him on radio trashing Manziel as not understanding the system and not making reads.
Old 12-06-2014   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Weird. I heard him on radio trashing Manziel as not understanding the system and not making reads.
Give Gil a break... he's old
Old 12-06-2014   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 505520 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That was Greg Cosell.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 578451 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That was Greg Cosell.
Damn. Early onset senior moment.
Old 12-06-2014   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, he's forgotten more football than this board knows collectively. Everybody knows that a bunch of 20 & 30 somethings know a lot more than someone who has been doing it for over 50 years.
Old 12-07-2014   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 193094 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, he's forgotten more football than this board knows collectively. Everybody knows that a bunch of 20 & 30 somethings know a lot more than someone who has been doing it for over 50 years.
Thank you for taking up for me.
Old 12-08-2014   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

If Boykin does return to school as I suspect, he will be my #1 QB going into the 2015 season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read