Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-29-2013   #21
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving Mock

I understand that Bridgewater is #1 on most media draft boards. However I am not convinced that will be the case with most NFL draft boards.

If Richardson is truly 1st RD talent which I agree and think he is also, he will be drafted in the 1st RD. Particularly true for a LT. Wishin and Hopin?

Always amazed why people think 340 lb fat man NT will be better than a 300 lb athletic DT. As long as Wade is DC and runs a 1 gap penetrating DT defense I don't think the Texans will ever draft a BIG 2 gap NT. That would be wasted draft pick regardless of how many fans think BIG is BETTER.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
QB is the biggest component for a perennial contender . If you have a chance to get one you have to take it . Even if it's 50/50 that he's a bust , what's the odds of getting Tom Brady in the 6th round or Kurt Warner out of the NFL Europe ?

Newest Walter Mock

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php
Lets just go down the same path as the Texans did with Carr. I swear, sometimes people never learn. BL addresses the OL in this mock but I doubt a guy like Richardson is going to fall to the 2nd rd. With that said, I would be all over Richardson in the 2nd regardless of who is taken in the 1st.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I understand that Bridgewater is #1 on most media draft boards. However I am not convinced that will be the case with most NFL draft boards.

If Richardson is truly 1st RD talent which I agree and think he is also, he will be drafted in the 1st RD. Particularly true for a LT. Wishin and Hopin?

Always amazed why people think 340 lb fat man NT will be better than a 300 lb athletic DT. As long as Wade is DC and runs a 1 gap penetrating DT defense I don't think the Texans will ever draft a BIG 2 gap NT. That would be wasted draft pick regardless of how many fans think BIG is BETTER.
It's not just a 340 lb fat guy , it's an agile 340lb fat guy . Or as Bum Phillips said , " a big train will run over a small train every day " .
Old 11-29-2013   #24
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not just a 340 lb fat guy , it's an agile 340lb fat guy . Or as Bum Phillips said , " a big train will run over a small train every day " .
Understood. However the stamina and game situations only allow for those BIG guys to be on the field for about 30% of D snaps. The game is transitioning to more of passing league so that means even less play for BIG 2 gap NTs. And as long as Wade wants 1 GAP penetrating DTs, BIG 2 GAP NTs will NOT be part of the equation regardless of how much the Girth lovers and believers want it to be so.

I think Bum was talking about Earl when he said that. 340 lb. Fat Guys don't do a lot of running, their value is standing their ground.
Old 11-29-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If AJ is so good , why isn't he talked about going #1 ?
You evidently have not followed him or read here on MB but many think he is a "system" QB in that his RB, WRs and O line are so good he does not have to win games on his own. We have two of those three + D.Brown and a very good ZBS center in Myers. Most fans agree with me that Brooks will be a very solid starter at RG and Quessenberry will start LG unless we draft a better option.

I have posted if McCarron and Bridgewater were the only two choices, I'd go the latter. But if I can get a starting OT say Matthews, Lewan, Kouandijo or
Antonio Richardson in first, a starting DE in second to replace A.Smith (Kony Ealy) and then McCarron in third, why not?

I am also ok with Bridgewater, A. Richardson (#33) and a NT in third as Beerlover has mocked. Preferably, I'd trade out of top three and get much more to use.
Old 11-29-2013   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understood. However the stamina and game situations only allow for those BIG guys to be on the field for about 30% of D snaps. The game is transitioning to more of passing league so that means even less play for BIG 2 gap NTs. And as long as Wade wants 1 GAP penetrating DTs, BIG 2 GAP NTs will NOT be part of the equation regardless of how much the Girth lovers and believers want it to be so.

I think Bum was talking about Earl when he said that. 340 lb. Fat Guys don't do a lot of running, their value is standing their ground.
Nope ... it was an NFL films show about fat guys .

Haloti Gnata goes about 350 .
Old 11-29-2013   #27
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nope ... it was an NFL films show about fat guys .

Haloti Gnata goes about 350 .
How many Vince Wilforks and Haloti Ngatatas are there? and play more than 30% of D snaps?
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2013   #28
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You evidently have not followed him or read here on MB but many think he is a "system" QB in that his RB, WRs and O line are so good he does not have to win games on his own. We have two of those three + D.Brown and a very good ZBS center in Myers. Most fans agree with me that Brooks will be a very solid starter at RG and Quessenberry will start LG unless we draft a better option.

I have posted if McCarron and Bridgewater were the only two choices, I'd go the latter. But if I can get a starting OT say Matthews, Lewan, Kouandijo or
Antonio Richardson in first, a starting DE in second to replace A.Smith (Kony Ealy) and then McCarron in third, why not?

I am also ok with Bridgewater, A. Richardson (#33) and a NT in third as Beerlover has mocked. Preferably, I'd trade out of top three and get much more to use.
The Texans already have a system QB and it's not good enough . They need a guy who can make plays when it counts .

Quiz is gone if the go away from the ZBS so they need another guard just like they need a RT . I also think that you have a better chance that the Right tackle is on the roster with Williams but there is no guard prospect . Having said that , if Richardson was there in the 2nd I'd take him . Heck ... I might take Gabe Jackson in the 2nd to paid with Brooks . No more getting stugffed at the 2yd line .
Old 11-29-2013   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wade should be gone along with everybody else including Rick in the offseason house cleaning. What infuriates me is all of the high draft picks that have been spent on the defense and the current lack of talent and depth on that side of the ball. Just another reason Rick must go.
Old 11-29-2013   #30
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
How many Vince Wilforks and Haloti Ngatatas are there? and play more than 30% of D snaps?
I'm not sure but I do know that before Vince , the pats had Teddy Washington ( who was bigger ) and won a SB .

Super Bowl fatties in modern times ...

Gnata
Wolfork
Washington
Raji
Hampton
Gilbert Brown
Linval Joseph
Adams
Siragusa
Old 11-29-2013   #31
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not sure but I do know that before Vince , the pats had Teddy Washington ( who was bigger ) and won a SB .

Gnata
Wolfork
Washington
Raji
Hampton
Gilbert Brown
Linval Joseph
Adams
Siragusa
Until the Texans adopt a fatty nt scheme, a fatty nt doesn't make sense.
Old 11-29-2013   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Texans already have a system QB and it's not good enough . They need a guy who can make plays when it counts .

Quiz is gone if the go away from the ZBS so they need another guard just like they need a RT . I also think that you have a better chance that the Right tackle is on the roster with Williams but there is no guard prospect . Having said that , if Richardson was there in the 2nd I'd take him . Heck ... I might take Gabe Jackson in the 2nd to paid with Brooks . No more getting stugffed at the 2yd line .
Nah, Quiz is over 300 lbs and can move. A very valuable swing OL at the very least. Hopefully Quiz has spent this season getting stronger and putting on 10-15 lbs of muscle. With the Texans S&C staff I've got my doubts.

I know the Texans have alot of holes. But wouldn't it be great if the Texans after trading down were able to draft Richardson and Richardson in rds 1-2 and use the extra picks to fix the defense. Draft McCarron/Murray in rds 3-5 and have an Olieresque OL (Munchack/Matthews) in front of the young QB. After seeing the Texans OL implode this yr, I think drafting this way is the fastest way to become a playoff contender again.

It worked for the Oilers and will work for the Texans. I just dont want to see the Texans repeat past mistakes. (Carr)
Old 11-29-2013   #33
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Wade should be gone along with everybody else including Rick in the offseason house cleaning. What infuriates me is all of the high draft picks that have been spent on the defense and the current lack of talent and depth on that side of the ball. Just another reason Rick must go.
When you go back and look at the number of DBs that have been drafted and signed as FAs since Rick Smith began his tenure with the Texans it's an unbelievable large number. And it's a number that displays ineptitude at very high levels.
Old 11-29-2013   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Until the Texans adopt a fatty nt scheme, a fatty nt doesn't make sense.
I think the Texans are in a transition stage , so fat is in . The only time it's not is when your offense can run the opponent off the field and you can pin your ears back and go get them .
Old 11-29-2013   #35
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Gnata
Wolfork
Washington
Raji
Hampton
Gilbert Brown
Linval Joseph
Adams
Siragusa
The one name you missed that might be in the Wilfork Ngata class is Lotulelei
Old 11-29-2013   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When you go back and look at the number of DBs that have been drafted and signed as FAs since Rick Smith began his tenure with the Texans it's an unbelievable large number. And it's a number that displays ineptitude at very high levels.
Sad part is drafting DB's should be in Rick's wheelhouse. He played DB at Purdue.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 11-29-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2013   #37
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Sad part is drafting DB's should be in Rick's wheelhouse. H played DB at Purdue.
And that is why it's been such a huge failure...

He thinks he knows more than the scouts, mediocre as they may be
Old 11-29-2013   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have Gabe Jackson with second pick in second round. He is awesome and had good game last night. Dude can pull and block with the best of them. Not sure why you believe Q cannot play offense if not ZBS?

If the coach or OC is calling right play, his QB should be able to make it work.
Old 11-29-2013   #39
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have Gabe Jackson with second pick in second round. He is awesome and had good game last night. Dude can pull and block with the best of them. Not sure why you believe Q cannot play offense if not ZBS?

If the coach or OC is calling right play, his QB should be able to make it work.
I think Ques was a TE , so I'm thinking he's not stout in the legs . That was an entertaining 4th quarter and OT last night with Miss State . Gabe is a good player .
Old 11-29-2013   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
And that is why it's been such a huge failure...

He thinks he knows more than the scouts, mediocre as they may be
Do you want somebody like this leading the org, hiring the new HC? Scary

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read