Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-28-2013   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Happy Thanksgiving Mock

Texans own rights to #1 overall selection because of hard earned ineptitude this season both on & off the field. Stay tuned. But as of now this is where we are.

with the first overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft the Houston Texans Select

1st. Teddy Bridgwater, QB, Louisville, 6030 220

The most sure fire franchise QB in this draft.

2nd. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee, 6060 332

First round talent who can assimilate RT as well as pass rushers.

3rd. DaQuan Jones, NT, Penn State, 6030 333

Dominant inside force, could replace or rotate w/Mitchell depending on free agency.

4th. Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati, 6010 251

Upgrade over Sharpton, immediate help inside to relieve pressure off Cushing.

5th. Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford, 6010 226

Very good blocker, good possession back, polished & smart.

6th. CJ Barnett, FS, Ohio State, 6000 203

Depth, can play either safety positions, big wingspan & special team talent infusion.

7th. Solomon Patton, WR/Retuner, Florida, 5090 171

Burner to return kickoffs can also stretch the field as WR adds depth/talent to special teams. Imagine slightly bigger version of Trindon Holliday. He once ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds. Another time, Patton defeated Pro Bowl wide receiver Julio Jones of the Atlanta Falcons in a 100-meter high school track race. When I think of Florida Football I think of athletic freaks, & Patton fits the mold.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving Mock

Not really too sure on players yet, but like the positional mix.

Might take a OLB in the 5th over a RB though.
Old 11-28-2013   #3
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

really like this draft.
Im not to in love with bridgewater as some but i understand the pick.

you address and prioritise the trenches and ILB which for me is the real concern for this team, like this a lot!

gaffney is a 'back that i would like us to have with the loss of tate. foster and johnson offer something and gaffney offers that bigger bodied back that this team will need.

last 2 picks help out special teams which is a must for this team.

By only disagreement is no TE (which is probably getting old for other posters as i keep beating this dead horse lol) and instead of a Safety i would like a CB. Harris and Mccain are terrible and Jjo is not playing to his contract also Kjax will be an upcoming free agent next year. We have 2 young safeties who are playing decent (really like the development of Keo) and manning hopefully comes back, i don't think we need another young safety ... but this is just my opinion.

Overall excellent mock and very similar to something i would do in my future one
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont like Bridgewater at 1-1.

Otherwise I like the picks.

Patton and Gaffney represent great value at the spots they were picked. Dont know if Richardson will be there at 2-1.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans own rights to #1 overall selection because of hard earned ineptitude this season both on & off the field. Stay tuned. But as of now this is where we are.

with the first overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft the Houston Texans Select

1st. Teddy Bridgwater, QB, Louisville, 6030 220

The most sure fire franchise QB in this draft.

2nd. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee, 6060 332

First round talent who can assimilate RT as well as pass rushers.

3rd. DaQuan Jones, NT, Penn State, 6030 333

Dominant inside force, could replace or rotate w/Mitchell depending on free agency.

4th. Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati, 6010 251

Upgrade over Sharpton, immediate help inside to relieve pressure off Cushing.

5th. Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford, 6010 226

Very good blocker, good possession back, polished & smart.

6th. CJ Barnett, FS, Ohio State, 6000 203

Depth, can play either safety positions, big wingspan & special team talent infusion.

7th. Solomon Patton, WR/Retuner, Florida, 5090 171

Burner to return kickoffs can also stretch the field as WR adds depth/talent to special teams. Imagine slightly bigger version of Trindon Holliday. He once ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds. Another time, Patton defeated Pro Bowl wide receiver Julio Jones of the Atlanta Falcons in a 100-meter high school track race. When I think of Florida Football I think of athletic freaks, & Patton fits the mold.
I'd be okay with Bridgewater but really hope a trade down. I think Matthews is more of a guarantee than any QB but getting Richardson is solid and I like the combination of 1 & 2. Not a fan of DaQuan, would you consider Shelton or Carrethers?

Your thoughts on Barnett falling so far? He is pretty much rated late third to 4th round.
Old 11-28-2013   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Happy Thanksgiving gang glad you enjoyed this latest edition!

Bridgewater has the highest ceiling @ the most coveted position, QB, so really Texans cannot afford to miss a possible kill for a franchise that has suffered immeasurably because of horrific QB performance since inception. Not too worried about which OT just that after taking a franchise QB they get him best possible protection with next pick. Time to address nose tackle, cannot continue to be soft up the middle, hence also adding beefy ILB w/next pick (really not sure he lasts though). After Tate leaves & Foster coming off IR how can anyone justify not addressing RB in the draft? Manning coming off IR is also a concern, cannot go forward with just Swearinger/Keo duo. would like to address earlier but QB his protection, someone to block & carry the rock as well improve the middle of Texan defense too important to bypass. Backend help in secondary as well as a dynamic kick returner would really shore up some obvious weak areas on this team.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-28-2013   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'd be okay with Bridgewater but really hope a trade down. I think Matthews is more of a guarantee than any QB but getting Richardson is solid and I like the combination of 1 & 2. Not a fan of DaQuan, would you consider Shelton or Carrethers?

Your thoughts on Barnett falling so far? He is pretty much rated late third to 4th round.
If Texans have a higher grade on Barnett than Gaffney I would have no problem flipping them. Gaffney will be gone somewhere in 5th or earlier so look for next best fundamentally sound football player same position. Has anyone seen this Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois play? He is such a solid kid, I think he could stick on an NFL roster @ RB. He is 4th in the nation running, averaging 146.25 yards per game on 7.08 yards per carry. He could also be emergency QB, so Texans would only have to carry two Keenum/Bridgewater on roster. He is 6000 215.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2013   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice ... I like Teddy so far and a giant RT is good . An ILB and RB are must also . Jordan Lynch is a football player and could possibly fit somewhere .
Old 11-28-2013   #9
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really see Lynch as anything more than Collin Klein in a weaker conference.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I don't really see Lynch as anything more than Collin Klein in a weaker conference.
I think it matters what he runs on how versatile he could be .
Old 11-29-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

One of if not the best mock Ive seen thus far.

The one thing I would change is ....

Quote:
The closest thing to a sure fire franchise QB in this draft.
Im just not sold on ANY of these QB's being able to carry a team in the NFL - True "Franchise" quarterbacks .... If there is one , its likely Bridgewater or Manziel but the latter comes with too much risk.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #12
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I like the mock. I'm still amused at the people who aren't buying into the biggest whole a team can have. Even if you're a skeptic on bridgewater, just watch his throws,pocket presence,and poise. I mean,there isn't anything that says he can't or won't be a franchise qb. Could he be a bust? Sure,but so could any of the top prospects. Jake matthews won't have a higher grade than jockel and how did he play as a rookie? I mean, we're talking 21 yr old kids. It took luck all of 1 yr to be the best qb in the division and its not like he's playing well. When was the last time schaub or any other texans qb beat teams the caliber of sea,49ers,and broncos?
Old 11-29-2013   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
It took luck all of 1 yr to be the best qb in the division and its not like he's playing well. When was the last time schaub or any other texans qb beat teams the caliber of sea,49ers,and broncos?
Love the double standard. Luck is winning games single handedly even if his come from behind wins are due to throwing picks but Schaub didn't beat the Broncos, Ravens or Colts last year throwing 7 TDs and 1 INT.
Old 11-29-2013   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Love the double standard. Luck is winning games single handedly even if his come from behind wins are due to throwing picks but Schaub didn't beat the Broncos, Ravens or Colts last year throwing 7 TDs and 1 INT.
To me Luck is the guy who bats 265 but has 35 homers and gets the timely hits . Nobody remembers him striking out in the 3rd inning because it doesn't matter if you win .
Old 11-29-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've gone from bridgewater clowney to bridgewater Barr.

I think if we get the first pick we should go bridgewater. If we get a lower pick and bridgewater is gone, I'd go Barr easily.

Not a johnny manziel fan.

Don't know a lot about all the players you picked, but I'm a fan of bridgewater to the Texans.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've gone from bridgewater clowney to bridgewater Barr.

I think if we get the first pick we should go bridgewater. If we get a lower pick and bridgewater is gone, I'd go Barr easily.

Not a johnny manziel fan.

Don't know a lot about all the players you picked, but I'm a fan of bridgewater to the Texans.
QB is the biggest component for a perennial contender . If you have a chance to get one you have to take it . Even if it's 50/50 that he's a bust , what's the odds of getting Tom Brady in the 6th round or Kurt Warner out of the NFL Europe ?

Newest Walter Mock

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php
Old 11-29-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Like the draft, but...

(there's always a "but", isn't there?)

With Mercilus rated 32nd/42 3-4 OLBs by PFF and Brooks Reeds solidly dead last 42nd/42 3-4 OLBs(>25% snaps)... and on pass rush grade alone Mercilus drops to 39th/42 and Reed stays 42nd/42...

I think OLB must be addressed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
We're number.....1?

Gotta like this...
Quote:
Bridgewater has completed 71 percent of his passes this year for 3,268 yards with 25 touchdowns and three interceptions....Bridgewater can get into stretches where he is utterly unstoppable.... He also has the reputation of possessing ideal intangibles as a great worker and film junkie.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I like the mock. I'm still amused at the people who aren't buying into the biggest whole a team can have. Even if you're a skeptic on bridgewater, just watch his throws,pocket presence,and poise. I mean,there isn't anything that says he can't or won't be a franchise qb. Could he be a bust? Sure,but so could any of the top prospects. Jake matthews won't have a higher grade than jockel and how did he play as a rookie? I mean, we're talking 21 yr old kids. It took luck all of 1 yr to be the best qb in the division and its not like he's playing well. When was the last time schaub or any other texans qb beat teams the caliber of sea,49ers,and broncos?
Well how did he play? He played right tackle (as we expect Matthews to do) for September then moved to LT when Monroe was traded. Joeckel played one game then ended season next game injuring ankle. Not much to evaluate, right?
Old 11-29-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Like the draft, but...

(there's always a "but", isn't there?)

With Mercilus rated 32nd/42 3-4 OLBs by PFF and Brooks Reeds solidly dead last 42nd/42 3-4 OLBs(>25% snaps)... and on pass rush grade alone Mercilus drops to 39th/42 and Reed stays 42nd/42...

I think OLB must be addressed early.

We're number.....1?

Gotta like this...
McCarron: 69% 2400 yds 23 TDs 5 INTs avg 8.66 per pass (Teddy 9.47) but the equalizer is AJ should be available third round.
Old 11-29-2013   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
McCarron: 69% 2400 yds 23 TDs 5 INTs avg 8.66 per pass (Teddy 9.47) but the equalizer is AJ should be available third round.
If AJ is so good , why isn't he talked about going #1 ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read