Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-01-2014   #141
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why?

I've got Petty rated above Bortles this yr. If Petty were coming out he would be #1 rated player ahead of Clowney.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #142
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He probably won't be the top pick but his gf sure as hell would be. Wow she makes concentrating on football hard; Lindsey Duke.

That's why I would draft him #1and Mccarron in the 2nd .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #143
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
LOL, I'll just rely on the fact that at this time last year Bucky had Sonic Sam Montgomery at #15 overall on his "Big Board".
And he also nailed the Barkevious (sp?) Mingo, Keenan Allen picks, plus had Eric Fisher who went 1 as his 14th best, which also was a good assessment. Nobody hits 100% and all analysts want to throw out a diamond in the rough. Brooks took.a shot and missed, when the Texans made that selection more people rather than less felt it was a steal. You know that thing about hindsight right?
Old 01-01-2014   #144
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
Quote:
@SI_DougFarrar -Have not graded him yet, but many scouts have called to ask why media is so high on him as they do not view him as elite.
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar
Quote:
If today marks your first look at UCF's Blake Bortles, here's a recent scouting report. Does UCF’s Blake Bortles have the look of a first-round quarterback?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #145
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar
Seems to me that all of Bortles weaknesses are Teddy B strengths. Jake Locker? Ouch.
Old 01-01-2014   #146
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
...Jake Locker? Ouch.
Not the first time I've seen that comparison, but one could have been "poached" from the other: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ph...rospects-50-26
Old 01-01-2014   #147
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Bortles and Storm. All of the rest of the picks for OL, LB and stuffer in the middle...
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014   #148
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61663 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Seems to me that all of Bortles weaknesses are Teddy B strengths. Jake Locker? Ouch.
Bortles completion % is 15% higher and TD to INT ratio is 3x Jake Locker numbers. If you did a little research you wouldn't be so gullible and naive to media no nothing's garbage.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #149
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Bortles completion % is 15% higher and TD to INT ratio is 3x Jake Locker numbers. If you did a little research you wouldn't be so gullible and naive to media no nothing's garbage.
Good to see you T. Any thoughts on Connor Shaw? Will he be drafted.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #150
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61663 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
Good to see you T. Any thoughts on Connor Shaw? Will he be drafted.
Yes I think he will. He could be the QB surprise in this draft. I think he wll go earlier than many think, maybe as early as the 3rd rd.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #151
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Admittedly, no I haven't felt the need to research a guy who some wanted to play TE and who is the 'flavor of the week' funny I havent heard of Bortles til this year. Not that it means anything, just saying.

Ugly 3rd down pass under duress should have been picked.
Old 01-01-2014   #152
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

I would really like the texans to take bortles. he is sky rocketing on mock drafts lately and I believe after combine and interviews he shoots to the top
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #153
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Why?

I've got Petty rated above Bortles this yr. If Petty were coming out he would be #1 rated player ahead of Clowney.
Petty is a 4th rd talent. His mechanics are awful. Its a horizontal stretch offense which they don't even have plays. The reason why Rg3 was drafted as high as he was despite this jr offense was his cannon,feet,and high iq. Petty doesn't have the arm or the feet,not sure about his iq. No one rates this guy anywhere despite the cartoonish numbers.
Old 01-02-2014   #154
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Reads bottom-to-top

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Charlie Taaffe is now George O'Leary's OC at UCF. Both can give info on Bortles & will be trusted. All can run multiple offenses. #Texans

Bill O'Brien can pick up the phone & reach out to O'Leary & get the full (true) background of Bortles. AJ Bouye can give insight. #Texans

George O'Leary is the current HC of Bortles at UCF. O'Leary hired O'Brien at Ga Tech in '95 & worked together until '01. #Texans

IF you're a Blake Bortles fan, know that O'Brien will have all the info he could want on him. O'Brien worked for O'Leary at Ga Tech. #Texans
Old 01-02-2014   #155
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Definitely.

I don't think Bortles is elite either....yet. But he certainly has the tools to become elite.
How long does that take though? I've heard the knock plenty of times about the transition from playing in the spread to the pro game. The closest I saw Bortels to the center was in the huddle until the victory formation. Someone mentioned upthread about a "lazer" he delivered. I watched every play and I didn't see it and that's what I was looking for. He delivered a few bombs right on target, right in stride but I saw more overthrown than "dropped in the bucket". When I watched TB I saw smoke trailing off the ball on his throws over the middle.

What am I missing?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #156
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Petty is a 4th rd talent. His mechanics are awful. Its a horizontal stretch offense which they don't even have plays. The reason why Rg3 was drafted as high as he was despite this jr offense was his cannon,feet,and high iq. Petty doesn't have the arm or the feet,not sure about his iq. No one rates this guy anywhere despite the cartoonish numbers.
While I will agree his mechanics were screwed up tonight. Petty has a cannon for an arm.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #157
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
While I will agree his mechanics were screwed up tonight. Petty has a cannon for an arm.
Shallow crosses off the spread is all I saw. I watched 4 games because you were talking him up,that dude is gonna be a 4th rd pick at best next year.
Old 01-02-2014   #158
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno about a cannon, but I do like the way he hit a few throws in stride. Still not all that high on Petty though, same concern with him as with Manziel although they are different QBs - system qb or not? Petty is a wild card to me more than a sure-fire thing.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #159
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tan-mom orange ain't really my thing but she's still pretty hot.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #160
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Bortles receives a 2nd round grade from NFL advisory panel.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeniorBow...SeniorBowlPhil

I will say he looks the part, strong arm big kid. Better served by staying in school imo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read