Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-27-2014   #1081
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Aundray Bruce was close to being identical in size to Clowney but Bruce had more sacks than Clowney the year he was drafted. The #1 pick in the draft and was the heir apparent and the next Lawrence Taylor.

You got some bad info on Derek Carr Chief, he was in fact a 3 year starter.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...080/derek-carr
6'4 246 vs 6'6 266 isn't close .

I'm not talking about Derek I'm talking David .
Old 03-27-2014   #1082
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I don't watch film , maybe a youtube video , but for the most part I just guess based on the information I read and watching games . Having said that , I don't get paid to scout but I do ok when I do the TT mocks . Luck plays a huge factor in the NFL or any draft .
Then why is it always the same franchises that are getting "lucky"? Because they know what to look for.

Luck is largely an excuse. There are times when something unforeseen happens. A player who's never been injured suffers an injury that alters their career, or a tragic accident happens off the field. But for the most part, whether a prospect pans out or not has very little to do with luck.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1083
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Then why is it always the same franchises that are getting "lucky"? Because they know what to look for.

Luck is largely an excuse. There are times when something unforeseen happens. A player who's never been injured suffers an injury that alters their career, or a tragic accident happens off the field. But for the most part, whether a prospect pans out or not has very little to do with luck.
Teams are much luckier when they get their cornerstone player ... a QB . Teams that reach on a QB are unlucky .
Old 03-27-2014   #1084
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Teams are much luckier when they get their cornerstone player ... a QB . Teams that reach on a QB are unlucky .
Yes. And now tell me why it is always the same teams that reach for a QB and fail. Perhaps they aren't looking for the right things?
Old 03-27-2014   #1085
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes. And now tell me why it is always the same teams that reach for a QB and fail. Perhaps they aren't looking for the right things?
Which teams haven't reached for a quarterback and failed?

Green Bay is the only one I can think of that hasn't had some lean years in the last 2 decades.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1086
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Which teams haven't reached for a quarterback and failed?

Green Bay is the only one I can think of that hasn't had some lean years in the last 2 decades.
I'm talking about the teams that consistently do this. Every team makes a bad decision every once in a while.

The difference between the teams that are consistently winning and the teams that are consistently losing is the ability to evaluate talent.
Old 03-27-2014   #1087
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
The Jags drafted Gabbert in 2011 in the first missing out on JJ Watt and Robert Quinn.

The Titans pick Locker missing out on JJ Watt and Robert Quinn in 2011 .

The Vikings pick Christian Ponder missing out on Robert Quinn in 2011 .

The Browns pick Brandon Weeden and he's now a Cowboy .

They all need a QB .

The Raiders are still reeling from Jamarcus Russell .
Old 03-27-2014   #1088
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm talking about the teams that consistently do this. Every team makes a bad decision every once in a while.

The difference between the teams that are consistently winning and the teams that are consistently losing is the ability to evaluate talent.
I understand what you're saying, but to a great extent it's survival bias. You keep drafting QBs until you get one. Once you get one, you don't have to do it again for 10 years.

The Steelers went through a billion bad QB's between Bradshaw and Rothlesberger.
The 49ers went 14 years (and 6 qbs) between Young and Kaepernick.

The Cowboys were awful at QB between Aikman and Romo, and while I like Romo, he has a lot of detractors.

I can't think of another respected organization to use. The Patriots are the Patriots because of Brady. Indy was sketchy until Manning and got lucky with Luck. The Ravens have never had a good QB. The Saints were legendarily bad until Brees.

edit: Though there are clearly organizations that can't even get an average QB.
Old 03-27-2014   #1089
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Disagree..its rare for teams to be able to sustain continued excellence at any position for more than 10-12years with 2 different players...especially at qb. GB and the Pats are the only teams in recent history who've been able to do it at qb with Favre/Rodgers and Bledsoe/Brady. And even in those situations, the regimes changed in the middle so it was extremely unlikely the personnel making the picks for each of those players was the same throughout.

Luck isn't the end all be all, but it has alot to do with it. Cant tell me Belichick really knew what he had when he drafted Brady....dude came into camp #7 on the depth chart as a rookie for christ sakes. The same for the Seahawks who drafted Wilson with no thought of him becoming a starter much less a SB winning qb.

Short of you picking #1 overall every tme you need a qb (colts), its highly likely the guy you get after is gonna be good too.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1090
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but to a great extent it's survival bias. You keep drafting QBs until you get one. Once you get one, you don't have to do it again for 10 years.

The Steelers went through a billion bad QB's between Bradshaw and Rothlesberger.
The 49ers went 14 years (and 6 qbs) between Young and Kaepernick.

The Cowboys were awful at QB between Aikman and Romo, and while I like Romo, he has a lot of detractors.

I can't think of another respected organization to use. The Patriots are the Patriots because of Brady. Indy was sketchy until Manning and got lucky with Luck. The Ravens have never had a good QB. The Saints were legendarily bad until Brees.

edit: Though there are clearly organizations that can't even get an average QB.
NE was lucky to get a HOF QB in the 6th and the 9ers got one in the 3rd . I wonder how close the Colts were to going with Leaf ?
Old 03-27-2014   #1091
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
NE was lucky to get a HOF QB in the 6th and the 9ers got one in the 3rd . I wonder how close the Colts were to going with Leaf ?
I never bought into Leaf being on par with Manning. I thought it was all an ESPN creation for the sake of drama.

To be fair to bah007, he's talking about reaching. NE, and Pittsburgh also weren't throwing away 1st round picks on bad QBs. SF did, though.
Old 03-27-2014   #1092
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I never bought into Leaf being on par with Manning. I thought it was all an ESPN creation for the sake of drama.

To be fair to bah007, he's talking about reaching. NE, and Pittsburgh also weren't throwing away 1st round picks on bad QBs. SF did, though.
I think that's the biggest mistake teams make is reaching on a QB and throwing him into the fire .

Meanwhile at the ranch Kurt Warner and Tom Brady were backups until the starter got hurt and they never came out .
Old 03-27-2014   #1093
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
6'4 246 vs 6'6 266 isn't close .

I'm not talking about Derek I'm talking David .
Aundray Bruce 6'5" 270 lbs http://www.nfl.com/player/aundraybruce/2499878/profile

Jadevon Clowney 6'5" 266 lbs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...der=true&gid=4

What I said about Derek's performance can also be said about David's performance. BUYER BEWARE: David had over 500 passing attempts in his last season. what I said about Derek also applies to David, they're interchangeable, vice a versa, [i]" Over 70% of Carr's passes were of the dink and dunk variety with a preset predetermined read and WR that took under 3 sec to execute. When the chips were on the line and Fresno had to deviate from the game plan Carr had a high degree of difficulty of delivering a win. Bortles is able to do what Carr couldn't and Bortles was able to deliver in every situation making Blake a much better prospect than Carr."[i] Neither Carr was able to deliver Fresno State to a BCS Bowl game, unlike Bridgewater and Bortles.
Old 03-27-2014   #1094
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Aundray Bruce 6'5" 270 lbs http://www.nfl.com/player/aundraybruce/2499878/profile

Jadevon Clowney 6'5" 266 lbs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...der=true&gid=4

What I said about Derek's performance can also be said about David's performance. BUYER BEWARE: David had over 500 passing attempts in his last season. what I said about Derek also applies to David, they're interchangeable, vice a versa, [i]" Over 70% of Carr's passes were of the dink and dunk variety with a preset predetermined read and WR that took under 3 sec to execute. When the chips were on the line and Fresno had to deviate from the game plan Carr had a high degree of difficulty of delivering a win. Bortles is able to do what Carr couldn't and Bortles was able to deliver in every situation making Blake a much better prospect than Carr."[i] Neither Carr was able to deliver Fresno State to a BCS Bowl game, unlike Bridgewater and Bortles.
Your link also says he's 47 .

Bruce was drafted as an OLB from Auburn . He put on weight after he went to the Raiders and played DE . Out of college he was 246 and ran a 4.6 something .

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/22/sp...arts-over.html

Quote:
In the 1990's, pro football schemes are too complicated and sophisticated and the responsibilites too great for a player lacking intelligence. And there Bruce was, the Falcons say, running right when he was supposed to run left, blitzing when he was supposed to drop back into pass coverage. Making tremendous plays, on occasion, in areas of the field where he was not assigned and hurting the defense too much in those instances when he was out of place and did not make the tackle or sack.

The Falcons overlooked a lot with Bruce, but they could not turn the other way when it came to what they viewed as Bruce's lack of understanding of football.

He is 6 feet 5 1/2 inches tall and weighs 255 pounds, and he runs the same 4.53 seconds for the 40-yard sprint that he did as a rookie. One look at Bruce and, no question, he looks like a football player, and a dominant one, too. But this may be all you need to know about how the Falcons viewed Bruce.

From the former Falcon linebacker coach, Chuck Clausen, last November: "He's like a perpetual 5-year-old. You tell him he's not going to be a football player all of his life. He's the kind of guy that nods his head yes and a few days later it's kind of vanished."

David Carr beat some good teams his senior year . You're right , Bortles is more like Gabbert
Old 03-27-2014   #1095
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
He has a 30 inch vertical , 21 reps and a 9.5 Broad jump to go along with that 19 sacks and 5 flat forty .
This is because he's gay right?
Old 03-27-2014   #1096
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He could be .
Old 03-27-2014   #1097
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Somebody's going to have to break this news to her...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1098
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3761 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Gay guys always have hot girlfriends.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #1099
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:

The tangent we got off on didn't have much to do with Bortles .
Old 03-27-2014   #1100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

He was talking about a defensive player that produced, but had a bad combine. I thought he was talking about Michael Sam, but Sam didn't have 19 sacks.

Bortles might have had 19 sacks, but I don't think we look at those the same way...

To tell you the truth, I'm responding to this just to look at that picture again

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read