Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2014   #1021
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Clowney doubled up
Old 03-23-2014   #1022
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 03-23-2014   #1023
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Every QB we've ever had takes a safety on this play. He turned it into a first down. I like it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #1024
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Every QB we've ever had takes a safety on this play. He turned it into a first down. I like it.
I'm pretty sure Schaub did not take a safety on this play. He threw a pick 6 to Baltimore to lose the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #1025
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I'm pretty sure Schaub did not take a safety on this play. He threw a pick 6 to Baltimore to lose the game.
Should I edit out safety and replace it with gave up points? LOL.

I don't know if Bortles is the guy but I'm just ready for some solid QB play again.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #1026
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Should I edit out safety and replace it with gave up points? LOL.

I don't know if Bortles is the guy but I'm just ready for some solid QB play again.
We wouldn't have been in position for the OT pick 6 if Schaub hadn't thrown it out of the endzone under pressure on the 99 and 95 yd drives. A modicum of balance is not out of order.
Old 03-24-2014   #1027
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bortles is going 1-1.
Don't know how to get link but his is on nfl.com. The title is

Bill O'Brien: Little separation in QB draft class talent

O'Brien said the process is getting closer, but he hasn't narrowed down the list just yet. He told Wyche there isn't a lot of difference between the presumed top three quarterbacks and the rest of the prospects.

"I think the thing is, to me, there's not a lot of separation," he said when asked if any player was worth of the No. 1 overall pick. "And there are more quarterbacks than just three
. Obviously the three guys that everybody talks about -- Blake (Bortles), Teddy (Bridgewater) and Johnny (Manziel). They're good players. They've had great college careers.

"But there are other guys out there. You've got (AJ) McCarron. You've got (Zach) Mettenberger. You've got Logan Thomas. You've got (Tom) Savage. You've got (Jimmy) Garoppolo. I mean, I can go right down the list. To me, you've got 10 to 12 guys you've got to do a great job of evaluating and make the best pick possible wherever you pick these guys. So I just see a lot of good quarterbacks. All of the guys have potential, which is a dangerous word, and you're trying to make sure you're doing what's best for your organization -- what fits best for your organization when you make that pick of a quarterback."

The bolded is pretty much what we have been saying for awhile now. I just don't see enough out of any of the top three to justify 1.1. I'll say it again. We should be patient take the best player available. We aren't winning a championship I. The next two years.
Old 03-24-2014   #1028
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
We aren't winning a championship I. The next two years.
I guess you figure 2011 and 2012 were the fluke years and not 2013, then?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #1029
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

O'Brien said the process is getting closer, but he hasn't narrowed down the list just yet. He told Wyche there isn't a lot of difference between the presumed top three quarterbacks and the rest of the prospects.

"I think the thing is, to me, there's not a lot of separation," he said when asked if any player was worth of the No. 1 overall pick. "And there are more quarterbacks than just three
. Obviously the three guys that everybody talks about -- Blake (Bortles), Teddy (Bridgewater) and Johnny (Manziel). They're good players. They've had great college careers.

"But there are other guys out there. You've got (AJ) McCarron. You've got (Zach) Mettenberger. You've got Logan Thomas. You've got (Tom) Savage. You've got (Jimmy) Garoppolo. I mean, I can go right down the list. To me, you've got 10 to 12 guys you've got to do a great job of evaluating and make the best pick possible wherever you pick these guys. So I just see a lot of good quarterbacks. All of the guys have potential, which is a dangerous word, and you're trying to make sure you're doing what's best for your organization -- what fits best for your organization when you make that pick of a quarterback."

The bolded is pretty much what we have been saying for awhile now. I just don't see enough out of any of the top three to justify 1.1. I'll say it again. We should be patient take the best player available. We aren't winning a championship I. The next two years.
To me, every time I hear not a lot of separation from the top 3 this year, i blow it off. Manziel is probably much closer to a second or third round grade based on his skillset and how worried I'd be as GM to see if it translates. He's got a lot of hype and what if he has "it" behind him.

I think, again just what I think, it's a two horse race between Bortles and Bridgewater wiyh Bortles impressing at combine and pro-day. Just Bridgewater is more solid as a pocket passer.

The rest seem like people selling themselves on value in a later round.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #1030
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Logan Thomas??

OB is going to take Logan Thomas.

He is a size speed guy.

4th round.
Old 03-25-2014   #1031
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
To me, every time I hear not a lot of separation from the top 3 this year, i blow it off. Manziel is probably much closer to a second or third round grade based on his skillset and how worried I'd be as GM to see if it translates. He's got a lot of hype and what if he has "it" behind him.

I think, again just what I think, it's a two horse race between Bortles and Bridgewater wiyh Bortles impressing at combine and pro-day. Just Bridgewater is more solid as a pocket passer.

The rest seem like people selling themselves on value in a later round.
Just curious as to what part of Manziel's skillset you're referring to as lacking.
Old 03-25-2014   #1032
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Looks more like a New England fisherman

He looks more like a New England fisherman, than the picture of the New England fisherman.

michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1033
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Quote:
O'Brien on Bortles' Pro Day: I think the ball only hit the ground twice. You could see better footwork, a more compact delivery.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1034
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think OB is going to take Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd. I just get that feeling. I don't want a qb with the 1st pick. None are worth it in this draft. Take the best rated player 1st whether it be Clowney, Robinson, Mack, etc. I think that would take pressure off whatever qb we do pick. 1st overall comes with some serious pressure and none of the top 3 rated qbs look like they are ready for that. We need OL, DL, and LBers bad. Fill one of those needs with a blue chipper and instantly get better. QB will take some time.
Old 03-25-2014   #1035
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Who the "F" knows who the best player available is? According to the scouts who don't value a player's personality and his work ethic, and they say Clowney is that guy when he is far from it. He isn't even close to it.

You take the guy who you think has the highest % chance to be a great player for your team where the pick won't be a bad pick. We're not in any position to be taking on some guy like Clowney who is a huge gamble and arguably a project player since he lacks a lot of moves and a work ethic.

We need a QB and we need to get the best guy we can get. Bortles will be our first pick I'm pretty sure. If not for a QB with that first pick, hopefully we get Mack who seems to be a high % pick to be a great player.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1036
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Who the "F" knows who the best player available is? According to the scouts who don't value a player's personality and his work ethic, and they say Clowney is that guy when he is far from it. He isn't even close to it.

You take the guy who you think has the highest % chance to be a great player for your team where the pick won't be a bad pick.
We need a QB and we need to get the best guy we can get. Bortles will be our first pick I'm pretty sure. If not for a QB with that first pick, hopefully we get Mack who seems to be a high % pick to be a great player.
If we pick Bortles #1, I'll shoot myself!!

Quote:
We're not in any position to be taking on some guy like Clowney who is a huge gamble and arguably a project player since he lacks a lot of moves and a work ethic.
Why is he a huge gamble??

I may be throwing a fishing line out there with a bobble on it, but what makes you think JJ Watt would ever allow for a lack in work ethic??
Old 03-25-2014   #1037
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Well.

Crap.

If you put it that way, I guess I have to root for Bortles now.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #1038
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well.

Crap.

If you put it that way, I guess I have to root for Bortles now.
Now that wasn't very nice.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #1039
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

im not liking bortles with the 1. take clowney and make it work. bortles came out of nowhere in 1 yr.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #1040
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why is he a huge gamble??

I may be throwing a fishing line out there with a bobble on it, but what makes you think JJ Watt would ever allow for a lack in work ethic??
If you draft Clowney and he's a bust at least you went big . If you draft Bortles on the other hand , people are gonna say " who didn't see that coming " .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read