Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2014   #961
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

MMQB: The Bortles Conundrum

With the right coaching, Blake Bortles is a year away from being the best quarterback in the 2014 NFL draft. And that’s the problem. Which team will take the chance? Here’s an in-depth look at Central Florida’s fabulous and flawed QB
Quote:
If you could take the best quarterback in the 2015 draft this May, knowing that you probably wouldn’t get much from him in ’14—and even then he’s still not a sure thing—where would you draft him?

Would you still take him first overall in this talent-laden draft? How about the middle of the first round? Or would you not consider him until the second round?

That, essentially, is the conundrum with Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #962
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Conundrum
Old 03-19-2014   #963
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

MMQB: The Bortles Conundrum

With the right coaching, Blake Bortles is a year away from being the best quarterback in the 2014 NFL draft. And that’s the problem. Which team will take the chance? Here’s an in-depth look at Central Florida’s fabulous and flawed QB
Pretty much what I've been saying about Bortles from the beginning. Which is scary, because I typically don't ever agree with Peter King.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #964
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
...I typically don't ever agree with Peter King.
Kinda misleading website, but Greg A. Bedard penned that piece.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #965
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kinda misleading website, but Greg A. Bedard penned that piece.
You would think I would see his picture right there next to the headline...

Saw King's name above the picture and just assumed.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #966
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

leave it to Johnny Manziel to be the one that actually wows everyone at his pro-day.

stir that pot even more, johnny football.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #967
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't wait to see Bortles in a Texans uniform. He is O'Brien's guy. Hopefully we can get a decent veteran to help him along in his first season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2014   #968
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

OK just returned home, with a cold one in hand & watched Blakes workout today. Kinda funny throwing motion, seems like he is throwing shot put on his finish, by that I mean not a lot of hands, uses his body, legs torso shoulders. maybe that's part of the problem with his longer throws, motion is like a cannon shooting off, flicking it better on shorter routes. also noticed he just got winded towards the end, seemed sapped when longer throws forced, came back underneath on a couple & looked good. best passes where intermediate, crossing routs, struggled with boundary. liked fact they incorporated mock rush at times, showed plus athletic ability for large body. A lot to like, should be able to improve, build up core strength & of course will have pro receivers catching the ball & making it look easy. I'd give him a B+ worthy of top 3 consideration.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #969
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33796 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Can't wait to see Bortles in a Texans uniform. He is O'Brien's guy. Hopefully we can get a decent veteran to help him along in his first season.
I wanted Jadeveon Clowney all along but I'll concede with your exact sentiments. It's obvious Blake Bortles is going to be our first overall pick. Bill O'Brien may as well hold a press conference tomorrow and announce it to the world because it's beyond obvious at this point. I'll support Blake Bortles as a Texans fan. It's a new era for Houston Texans football.
Old 03-20-2014   #970
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I've said this before and know this as a fact that pro days means little to nothing when evaluating prospects,especially qbs. The most important things are the personal workouts and blackboard sessions by the organization. We see and declare a prospects worthiness,but what we don't see, the private stuff is where prospects are graded. I don't watch pro days. Why? They don't really do anything for me. Judging qbs, I like to know what he was thinking with erand throws,picks,and near picks. Plenty of great or good pro days were overvalued and had teams severely reaching on qb. I'm still trying to figure out why titans drafted locker after his 5-27 game vs nebraska or some of his other terrible games he had on tape.

Jamarcus,Boller,quinn,gabbert and other great pro days meant 0 just like the wonderlic. To me, look at the bad games and look at the similarities to the good games. I've said before, I prefer bridgewater,but I can see why people like bortles. I can't see mccarron,mettenberger,and as a fan manziel. If its bortles,cool, I just think posters are jumping the gun based on pro day.
Old 03-20-2014   #971
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw some tape of this guys workout and he looks great, moves real good for a big guy, throws the ball with authority, but about his accuracy, I didn't see it ?
Hell if you want a big stud who's real athletic and can throw the football thru the side of a barn, I suggest you draft Logan Thomas, the QB from Virginia Tech. Thomas is 6-6, 250, and had a faster 40 than Bortles, and you can get him in the third round.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #972
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I don't watch pro days. Why? They don't really do anything for me. Judging qbs, I like to know what he was thinking with erand throws,picks,and near picks.
I think that's the benefit of the pro day. During a game, we don't know if the receiver was supposed to cut his route, or convert... if it was supposed to be behind him or in front... it's mostly guesses.

While watching these guys in games, tons of questions should be generated, those questions can be answered at the combine & on his pro day. I like the combine, because they're having to throw to guys they may have never thrown to before & are pretty much having to adjust on the fly. I like the pro days, because even that part is taken out. The QB knows the routes he'll be throwing, he knows the receivers he is throwing to.

At the combine & the pro day, the QBs weaknesses can't be hidden by a game plan tailored for that QB to succeed. You see how good the good is, & how bad the bad is.

Quote:
Plenty of great or good pro days were overvalued and had teams severely reaching on qb. I'm still trying to figure out why titans drafted locker after his 5-27 game vs nebraska or some of his other terrible games he had on tape.

Jamarcus,Boller,quinn,gabbert and other great pro days meant 0 just like the wonderlic. To me, look at the bad games and look at the similarities to the good games. I've said before, I prefer bridgewater,but I can see why people like bortles. I can't see mccarron,mettenberger,and as a fan manziel. If its bortles,cool, I just think posters are jumping the gun based on pro day.
I think we're smarter than you give us credit for. The pro day is just a piece of the puzzle, just like the good games & the bad games. It wasn't the Pro Day that got Jamarcus Russell the first overall pick, or Russell Wilson a third round selection... They had game tape, good & bad. They had personal work outs & black board sessions & one on one interviews...

Pete Carol might not have thought he was drafting a Super Bowl winning QB when he drafted Wilson, or a 100+ passer rating QB two years running. But I bet outside of Luck he felt as good about his pick as he would have about the QBs selected before him.
Old 03-20-2014   #973
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I wanted Jadeveon Clowney all along but I'll concede with your exact sentiments. It's obvious Blake Bortles is going to be our first overall pick. Bill O'Brien may as well hold a press conference tomorrow and announce it to the world because it's beyond obvious at this point. I'll support Blake Bortles as a Texans fan. It's a new era for Houston Texans football.
Why?
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #974
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
With no mobility and an inability to look at anyone other AJ or OD. I'm with Texian on the BB bandwagon.
Although not on a bandwagon, he looked far better than TB. Plus he gave himself a "B" after a good showing, while TB said he did "good" after stinking the place up. Waiting to see what JFF does, but so far if we are going QB at #1 it seems BB has the upper hand so far.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #975
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

It is kind of alarming that Bortles came out of nowhere. I don't ever remember hearing his name until about 6 months ago.

Jay Cutler and Big Ben did the same if I remember right, so maybe he was just under hyped.

He may also be looking good right now because Teddie B crapped the bed at his pro day.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #976
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
This is where I'm at. I don't really like any of the top 3 QB's at 1-1. (I want Robinson/Clowney) But if Bortles is BOB's pick then I will get on board with the pick. Same as with TB/JM/Mack.

I hope the Texans org doesn't screw the pooch again. Go Texans
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #977
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is where I'm at. I don't really like any of the top 3 QB's at 1-1. (I want Robinson/Clowney) But if Bortles is BOB's pick then I will get on board with the pick. Same as with TB/JM/Mack.

That pooch is wallowed out by now .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #978
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've said this before and know this as a fact that pro days means little to nothing when evaluating prospects,especially qbs. The most important things are the personal workouts and blackboard sessions by the organization. We see and declare a prospects worthiness,but what we don't see, the private stuff is where prospects are graded. I don't watch pro days. Why? They don't really do anything for me. Judging qbs, I like to know what he was thinking with erand throws,picks,and near picks. Plenty of great or good pro days were overvalued and had teams severely reaching on qb. I'm still trying to figure out why titans drafted locker after his 5-27 game vs nebraska or some of his other terrible games he had on tape.

You know that I am no TB fan, but I respect your position. I did not get the Locker pick at the time either.

BTW, if TB is BOB's pick I will be totally on board with TB. After all I'm a Texans fan. Go Texans
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #979
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Pretty much the same here (except I'm in the Watkins/Robinson camp). Pretty much whomever OB picks -- unless it's just an epic fail -- I'm going to get behind it and support it and hope for the best. For now.

If he goes Bortles or Bridgewater or Mack or Clowney, I'll get behind it. Manziel will be harder to swallow but I'll do what I can.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 03-20-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Whom, dammit.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #980
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114593 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Pretty much the same here (except I'm in the Watkins/Robinson camp). Pretty much whoever OB picks -- unless it's just an epic fail -- I'm going to get behind it and support it and hope for the best. For now.

If he goes Bortles or Bridgewater or Mack or Clowney, I'll get behind it. Manziel will be harder to swallow but I'll do what I can.
I think i'll support whomever we select also because he'll be our guy....but mostly...I just dont feel commited to any of these prospects. Nobody really stands out for me. I usually post some in these threads predraft ,but i'm so apathetic about who our #1 is this year i'm just here to get as much info as possible.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read