Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2014   #941
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

I have been saying since November that the difference that separates Bortles from the rest of the pack is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected in pressure situations and how well he is able to direct 2nd half comebacks and game winning drives. I saw nothing today that would change my opinion. In fact it was a good workout. He did overthrow a few deep balls but Bortles admitted that some of the knocks on him was a few throws on film where he under threw a deep WR. He quickly pointed out to Mayock that he did not under throw any passes today.
Old 03-19-2014   #942
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 34m

Ron Jaworski "On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give him a ten today. He was well-prepared and made every throw."
Old 03-19-2014   #943
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I have been saying since November that the difference that separates Bortles from the rest of the pack is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected in pressure situations and how well he is able to direct 2nd half comebacks and game winning drives. I saw nothing today that would change my opinion. In fact is was a very good workout. He did overthrow a few deep balls but Bortles admitted that some of the knocks on him was a few throws on film where he under threw a deep WR. He quickly pointed out to Mayock that he did not under throw any passes today.
Mayock is giving Kiper Jr a run at biggest BS Draftnik out there. I get better info here than from those two morons.
Old 03-19-2014   #944
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have been saying since November that the difference that separates Bortles from the rest of the pack is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected in pressure situations
Matt Schaub remained calm, cool, collected, and highly Eeyore-ish his entire career ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #945
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have been saying since November that the difference that separates Bortles from the rest of the pack is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected in pressure situations and how well he is able to direct 2nd half comebacks and game winning drives. I saw nothing today that would change my opinion. In fact it was a good workout. He did overthrow a few deep balls but Bortles admitted that some of the knocks on him was a few throws on film where he under threw a deep WR. He quickly pointed out to Mayock that he did not under throw any passes today.

That's hardly a difference amongst the 3....we saw all of them do this at 1 point or another in numerous games throughout their careers. Why u keep touting this as something exclusive to Bortles is beyond me.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #946
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
Quote:
Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner openly said something to the effect, "great - this means he (Bortles) won't be available for us."

I'm told 3/4's through Blake Bortles workout Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien let it be known "I've seen all I need to see"...

Cleveland Browns met with Blake Bortles/QB/Central Florida this morning but did not stay for pro-day...private workout has been set up..
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #947
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

If he did in fact say that it might be the single biggest indicator as to which direction we take with the top pick that I have seen this off-season.

Last edited by Jackie Chiles; 03-19-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Jackie Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2014   #948
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like his moxie.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #949
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
welcome to the Texans, Bortles. Don't ******* it up.
Old 03-19-2014   #950
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
If he did in fact say that it might be the single biggest indicator as to which direction we take with the top pick that I have seen his off-season.
I agree that it's a very interesting quote... but, knowing BO'B, it might be a smokescreen.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #951
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
I agree that it's a very interesting quote... but, knowing BO'B, it might be a smokescreen.
Out of any context, it has no meaning either positive or negative...could be either or "I saw the same thing here I saw on tape"
Old 03-19-2014   #952
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rob Rang ‏@RobRang
Quote:
Veteran scout @ Bortles' Pro Day gave him a "B." Acknowledged improved footwork. Questioned deep ball accuracy. More: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...ripted-session Ö
Old 03-19-2014   #953
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Out of any context, it has no meaning either positive or negative...could be either or "I saw the same thing here I saw on tape"
My thoughts too. Why would O'Brien hide his cards for this long just to "let it be known" right now that this player is his choice?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #954
Texian
Hall of Fame

smokescreens are the norm but when you have the very first pick a smokescreen really doesn't make sense. If you want to trade the pick, you tell everyone interested that you want to trade the pick. If you let on that your interest is in a certain player, everyone else says OK and plans accordingly. I mean if you're in love with Clowney, you're not going to trade away the pick to someone who wants Clowney. There is no Tom Foolery because you're not fooling anyone.
Old 03-19-2014   #955
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I came away very impressed with Blake Bortles' pro day workout. He possessed that "Wow factor" that I was hoping to see at Teddy Bridgewater's pro day. Didn't he lead a game-winning drive over Louisville last season?
Old 03-19-2014   #956
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
If he did in fact say that it might be the single biggest indicator as to which direction we take with the top pick that I have seen his off-season.
Smoke Screen

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #957
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
smokescreens are the norm but when you have the very first pick a smokescreen really doesn't make sense. If you want to trade the pick, you tell everyone interested that you want to trade the pick. If you let on that your interest is in a certain player, everyone else says OK and plans accordingly. I mean if you're in love with Clowney, you're not going to trade away the pick to someone who wants Clowney. There is no Tom Foolery because you're not fooling anyone.
Yeah right. 'Bout time for a smotin' for thee.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #958
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12817 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

If clowney doesn't get picked 1st, I'd be more pleased going with bortles, than Ted. Teds body type just doesn't sit well with me. The guy looks like a track star. Not a NFL quarterback
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #959
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Matt Schaub remained calm, cool, collected, and highly Eeyore-ish his entire career ...
With no mobility and an inability to look at anyone other AJ or OD. I'm with Texian on the BB bandwagon.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #960
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

SI: Blake Bortles keeps buzz going at pro day but also demonstrates flaws
BY DOUG FARRAR
Quote:
Bortles is not a complete NFL-level player yet, but he showed many of the attributes weíve seen on a regular basis from his tape. I saw a lot of what I saw when I wrote up his tape last December, and a few improvements were also evident.
Bortles tends to plant with a stiff front leg in the pocket, which affects his downfield accuracy (Josh Freeman has this issue as well). And in a general sense, heís far more comfortable planting and throwing off his outside foot to either the left or right in motion than he is when setting in the pocket. This is, to a certain degree, a product of the system he was in, but itís worth noting that Vince Young and Jake Locker each has this issue, and neither one of them really overcame it.

Bortles may be a better motion thrower than a pocket thrower throughout his NFL career, and if so, that would limit his professional development. Because at a certain point, you have to stand in the pocket and make a bang-on throw with bodies around you.

Overall, thereís been a lot of talk about Bortlesí velocity ó that a guy who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 230 pounds should be able to rip it downfield at any time. He clearly has the physical tools to do so, but mechanics still get in the way at times.

Bortles tends to push the ball when he throws to the right at short and intermediate levels.

Of the several throws he made the distance of half a field toward the end of his workout, he overthrew more than he should have ó a function of his mechanics getting out of line with his intent to make deep, accurate throws... A couple times, he over-dropped and overthrew, letting his body mechanics go out of whack. But when he has a flexible front foot and throws through his body, heís going to make any throw an NFL team could want. No problem there.
In a general sense, I really liked what Bortles did on the run, especially when he was throwing from a simulated shotgun base. While he has a decently quick delivery, there are times when it takes an extra millisecond to get everything in line, but this issues is minimized when heís on the run. Any team playing heavy shotgun to motion, or play-action/boot-action under center, would find him a perfect fit over time. He has a consistent over-the-top throwing motion.
You want to see quarterbacks throw from the legs up ó like pitchers, thatís where they derive their natural velocity so that they donít have to over-extend. When Bortles does that, his velocity and accuracy line up, and you see why some consider him to be the best quarterback prospect in this draft class. But there are times when heíll throw off his back foot or with both feet on the turf or with his upper body, and you see he still needs work on certain things. And this, as much as anything, is why some in the league will tell you he needs another year of development before heís ready for the rigors of the NFL.

At times, Bortles overthrew on intermediate routes, and his targets would have to reach up for them. At other times, he slightly underthrew the finesse passes, and his targets would have to reach back for the ball. Neither one of these issues is acceptable on a consistent basis in the NFL, where tight coverage windows and hyper-aggressive defenders are the order of the day.

Finally, when Palmer ran around with Bortles to simulate pass rush, Bortlesí mechanics got a little floppier ó he seemed to need an extra split second to line everything up.

Overall, I thought Bortles did well enough in this environment. Unlike Bridgewater, he didnít look worse in a controlled environment than he does on tape...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read