Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2014   #561
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Bortles just screams out Tim Couch to me for some reason. A guy who honestly could probably be ok, but the pressure of being a high pick is just too much to handle.
Agreed

Except Bortles wouldn't be starting with an expansion franchise.

Something just doesn't feel right about the top 3 QB's in this draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #562
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

Except Bortles wouldn't be starting with an expansion franchise.

Something just doesn't feel right about the top 3 QB's in this draft.
Out of the 3 QBs though Bortles is the one guy who really doesn't jump out to me at all. People keep talking about his size and frame. Wow! Very impressive! I can see Teddy being successful in the league...... I can see Manziel making an impact in the league. I can't see it with Bortles..... He's that girl you see in the bar that looks great, dances her butt off, reminds you of a Vicky Secret model, and then when you get her home find out she has fake boobs, eye lashes, and pimples all over her face. And the great body you thought she had is no good because she's as stiff as a board.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #563
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Out of the 3 QBs though Bortles is the one guy who really doesn't jump out to me at all. People keep talking about his size and frame. Wow! Very impressive! I can see Teddy being successful in the league...... I can see Manziel making an impact in the league. I can't see it with Bortles..... He's that girl you see in the bar that looks great, dances her butt off, reminds you of a Vicky Secret model, and then when you get her home find out she has fake boobs, eye lashes, and pimples all over her face. And the great body you thought she had is no good because she's as stiff as a board.
Well hopefully Rick Smith and O'Brien won't be drafting 6 beers and 5 shots deep...
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #564
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's that girl you see in the bar that looks great, dances her butt off, reminds you of a Vicky Secret model, and then when you get her home find out she has fake boobs, eye lashes, and pimples all over her face. And the great body you thought she had is no good because she's as stiff as a board.
Hah, good stuff. Maybe her body isn't that great because she was wearing shape ups (lying wench).

I digress... Bortles is gonna be a good pro. I don't think he has nearly the upside of the other 2, but this guy is a gamer. He would constantly mess up early in games (which I absolutely hate), but he would never let it linger and push it aside long enough to march down the field and get the W (which I absolutely love).

I think too much is being made of his size though and I'll definitely agree with you there. People talk about this protypical size all the time, but 2 of the last 4 Super Bowl champs were NOT proto size in Aaron (short) and RusWil (shorter).
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #565
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll be pretty pissed if if we drafted Bortles honestly....... There are certain guys with his size that I had a good feel of knowing they would be good at the next level. Big Ben is one of them. I've never gotten that feel for this guy and I've watched him play quite a bit over the past couple of years. Some guys just have the "it" factor to me, and he's never given me that vibe. This will be a colossal mistake if we take him with the 1st overall pick. Much worse than the Carr debacle. It kind of reminds me of college recruiting when a guy shoots up the ratings based on "potential".
BIG Ben has 2 Super Bowl rings....just saying

Quote:
Bortles just screams out Tim Couch to me for some reason. A guy who honestly could probably be ok, but the pressure of being a high pick is just too much to handle.
(4) last possession, game winning drives is indicative of handling pressure extremely well. And he did it very cool, calm and collected. The #1 attribute and ability in draft evaluation. The size, arm and ability to run are added bonus. This #1 attribute is something you would not have found in David Carr's resume.

Come Sunday's in Reliant when Bortles delivers the WIN with game winning drives (hope it's not Jacksonville)....all will be forgiven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Well hopefully Rick Smith and O'Brien won't be drafting 6 beers and 5 shots deep...
Funny!....some past drafts it appears that is exactly what happened!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #566
tuco99
Rookie

Obrien is going to F this pick up. Ne coaches and GMs who F up the first pick get fired after three years.
tuco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #567
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
BIG Ben has 2 Super Bowl rings....just saying

(4) last possession, game winning drives is indicative of handling pressure extremely well. And he did it very cool, calm and collected. The #1 attribute and ability in draft evaluation. The size, arm and ability to run are added bonus. This #1 attribute is something you would not have found in David Carr's resume.

Come Sunday's in Reliant when Bortles delivers the WIN with game winning drives (hope it's not Jacksonville)....all will be forgiven.

Funny!....some past drafts it appears that is exactly what happened!
Did you read the part where I said I had a feel Big Ben would be good? Guess not.

I watched 2 of his comeback wins. The one against Louisville was just an ok performance to me. Their running back took over at the end of the game. He was the main factor there. The Temple game I've already addressed. He was not very good for much of that game and it took a one handed catch by their receiver to bail him out. Temple was terrible last year too by the way so it should have never even been a contest.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014   #568
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you read the part where I said I had a feel Big Ben would be good? Guess not.

I watched 2 of his comeback wins. The one against Louisville was just an ok performance to me. Their running back took over at the end of the game. He was the main factor there. The Temple game I've already addressed. He was not very good for much of that game and it took a one handed catch by their receiver to bail him out. Temple was terrible last year too by the way so it should have never even been a contest.
Many folks see your belittling critique of Bortles GAME WINNING DRIVE in LOUISVILLE against the #1 DEFENSE in College Football as nothing more than your bias and excuses for your LOVE of Teddy. Because seriously, only someone severely smitten would make such comments.
Old 02-14-2014   #569
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Because seriously, only someone severely smitten would make such comments.
I know there were other words in your comment but I just can't get passed the irony of this sentence.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #570
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Many folks see your belittling critique of Bortles GAME WINNING DRIVE in LOUISVILLE against the #1 DEFENSE in College Football as nothing more than your bias and excuses for your LOVE of Teddy. Because seriously, only someone severely smitten would make such comments.
LOVE for Teddy? Do you always talk out of your ass or does your mouth work too? It could possibly have nothing to do with the fact that I was more impressed by their running game in that 2nd half right? Or that Bortles just doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will be great at the next level? Get his piece out of your mouth dude.

If you've been paying attention you'd know I don't have a love for Teddy Bridgewater. You're the one who's infatuated with a QB in this draft not me.
Old 02-14-2014   #571
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Lately I am focusing more on how each of the 3 QBs would be in season two and I am leaning more towards Bortles who has edge over JM with size.
Old 02-14-2014   #572
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOVE for Teddy? Do you always talk out of your ass or does your mouth work too? It could possibly have nothing to do with the fact that I was more impressed by their running game in that 2nd half right? Or that Bortles just doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will be great at the next level? Get his piece out of your mouth dude.

If you've been paying attention you'd know I don't have a love for Teddy Bridgewater. You're the one who's infatuated with a QB in this draft not me.
Spoken like a man with a lesser education. An educated person can carry on an adult conversation without the use middle school vernacular, insults and foul language.
Old 02-14-2014   #573
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Lately I am focusing more on how each of the 3 QBs would be in season two and I am leaning more towards Bortles who has edge over JM with size.
You're one of the few who can see past only the season at hand.
Old 02-14-2014   #574
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Spoken like a man with a lesser education. An educated person can carry on an adult conversation without the use middle school vernacular, insults and foul language.
Why does it seem like you have decided that in the last 2 months you would show up and pick fights with anyone who doesnt agree with you? Can you get through one week without intentionally trying to piss off everyone?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #575
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Because you're really aware of what kind of education I have right? I will say one thing for you Texian...... You definitely provide me with many laughs on a daily basis. Keep up the good work buddy!
Old 02-14-2014   #576
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Hah, good stuff. Maybe her body isn't that great because she was wearing shape ups (lying wench).

I digress... Bortles is gonna be a good pro. I don't think he has nearly the upside of the other 2, but this guy is a gamer. He would constantly mess up early in games (which I absolutely hate), but he would never let it linger and push it aside long enough to march down the field and get the W (which I absolutely love).

I think too much is being made of his size though and I'll definitely agree with you there. People talk about this protypical size all the time, but 2 of the last 4 Super Bowl champs were NOT proto size in Aaron (short) and RusWil (shorter).
Bortles has the most upside of the 3. (Size/Arm strength/Mobility combo) IMHO But he also has the lowest floor.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #577
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Why does it seem like you have decided that in the last 2 months you would show up and pick fights with anyone who doesnt agree with you? Can you get through one week without intentionally trying to piss off everyone?
Cause the first month he was obsessed with Manziel .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #578
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think many of us who put lots of time into researching players often become too attached to our "guys" and when someone "attacks" them or our position(s), we respond perhaps as we should not. What concerns me is when other posters rather than using info to rebut or disagree respond to that great old recess ground tactic of name calling or use terms like "crazy, idiotic or stupid". It degrades to trash talking "your momma's so ugly.."

We each should realize that there are points on almost all topics regardless of forum, we will just not agree on. That is extremely cool with me as I like to ponder other views than mine.

Denounce the position, not the one offering the position.
Old 02-14-2014   #579
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I feel like, although some deserved, this forum is overly rude to him and now he gets real defensive and overly aggressive too quick.

Looking at this situation with most, he says something a little off putting or foolish because he's defensive and it's overly reacted too or he's just outright attacked, then it's a fight.

Not that he's not wrong, because he definitely is sometimes, but if people were always mocking you and attacking you on a subject you felt strongly about you or I might act in a similar overly defensive matter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bortles has the most upside of the 3. (Size/Arm strength/Mobility combo) IMHO But he also has the lowest floor.
I cannot argue this and agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We each should realize that there are points on almost all topics regardless of forum, we will just not agree on. That is extremely cool with me as I like to ponder other views than mine.

Denounce the position, not the one offering the position.
Good stuff, well said.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #580
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't pick fights Blake. I do respond to those who want to pick fights with me however.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read