Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-07-2014   #501
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
I'm a "TB fan" but I also really like Johnny and Blake too
Thanks. I like you too.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #502
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans pass on Teddy B. and Clowney for Bortles I would be ok with that as I believe they would only take Bortles based on solid diagnosis and projection. Johnny Manziel seems better slotted at 2.1 than 1.1. I just dont see the same NFL prospect that others do. Sure he is exciting running around extending plays, but personally I need more NFL ready skills or traits.

1.1 Bridgewater/Clowney/Bortles
1.Trade Down Watkins/Matthews/Barr/Robinson
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #503
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Lets just say I trust BO'B's views on QB play more than yours. Your tearing down of all other QB's not named TB is amusing. Mallett may or may not become the Texans QB. But, yes he proved at Arkansas he can process info quickly. (Far from being a bum.) We don't know how much Mallet has progressed, he plays behind a GOAT. But Godsey/O'Brien have a good idea of Mallett's progression.

I realy don't care who the next QB of the Texans is, but I do want the trenches fixed. (Finally) I'm really looking forward to your reaction IF BO'B passes on TB. In a way I hope he trades for Mallett just to get to see your reaction to your HC disagreeing with your eval of that bum Mallett. (That would be true comedy)
We are in a Blake Bortles thread right now and I have said quite a bit of praise for him actually and defended him quite a bit.

Are you also another person that believes Connor Shaw is the truth?

I actually don't believe that BOB has a good grasp on Rayn's progression. Rayn was drafted in 2011. In 2012 BOB left for Penn State. In 2012 Godsey became a TE coach, now he's our QB coach. He knows Rayn better than me or outside media, but it doesn't mean he was the guy directly coaching him.

If I'm Bill B and you are now my enemy, sure, I'll tell you this kid's progression is going smooth as silk, it's really weird it can't be seen on the football field in preseason though.

If this happens will I be pissed? Damn right. True Comedy? Not really. If it works out though I will say I'm wrong and come clean, I always do. I don't stand up and preach truth that is really lies and sweep it under the rug later. I don't think I will be wrong though and it will be at the expense of my team, which will NOT be true comedy. Say no to Rayn!

Quote:
I'm not really high on any of the QB's in this draft. But I will say I like Smith and Murray at 3-1 much more than TB/JM/BB at 1-1. I doubt many of the TB guys have ever seen Brett Smith play or watched any film on him.
Doesn't mean he's good. Sorry most of us don't go out of our way to watch WYOMING football games. He was also NOT invited to the combine. Snub? Maybe. Is anyone getting mad about it like they would if they truly believed he could be a great NFL talent? No.

Last edited by TexansFTW; 02-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #504
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 392068 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Miller

Quote:
Blake Bortles made a surprise visit to Radio Row at the Super Bowl and shocked everyone in attendance. Wasn't he listed at 6'3" by Central Florida? Try 6'5". Bortles' physical presence was dominating—but then again, so was his game film at times.

The hype for Bortles started late this year, but not because of any lack of talent on his part. In fact, no one thought he would leave Central Florida for the NFL after his junior year. But then Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley and Bryce Petty said they'd be back in college next season, and as a result there was a huge void for talented quarterbacks in the top of the draft. Bortles packed his bags and started training, and NFL teams took notice.

Go back and watch his last two years at Central Florida, and you'll see a player who reminds you an awful lot of Andrew Luck with a little Ben Roethlisberger mixed in. He's solidly built but plays with the speed to run away from defenders. Much like Big Ben, he's a monster in the pocket or on the move and is super tough to bring down once he gets moving. Big Blake has the athletic ability to make a defender miss or put his pads down and run them over, and NFL scouts love it.

But how's the arm? Oh, it's good. Bortles is a bit raw in terms of mechanics, but he's able to make plays with his arm whether standing in the pocket or on the move. He'll throw across his body with velocity and accuracy, and while he can be a bit brave with the football, more often than not he's making plays and not turnovers.

He's raw, and everyone knows that, but the ceiling on Bortles is over his head—and that's a long way up there.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #505
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

My biggest issue with Bortles, other than the competition level, is that he's only been doing it for 2 years.

Do you really know a player, watching him from afar, after 2 years? I know George O'Leary was high on him coming out of highschool & has been his coach for the last two years & O'Brien has history with O'Leary, so yeah he can get the scoop from the man... & I would have to think that's exactly what happened if we draft Bortles.

But I'd still be weary.
Old 02-07-2014   #506
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
See all these guys have some great attribute and I think all can be successful in good situations.

If you think about it, luck was like a combo of all three in some way.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #507
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
This is the same guy that said Logan Thomas looked good at the senior bowl workouts on the nfl network.
Old 02-07-2014   #508
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 392068 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake Bortles Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Central Florida QB
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #509
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Clearly you didn't see the 4 games this year where in his team's last possession he delivered 4 GAME WINNING DRIVES. If you had you wouldn't be making such comments nor would you be laughing.
Maybe he keeps coming back because he under performed the first three qtrs?
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #510
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What gets me is Tex and Mussop seem to be able to find good things to say about the other QB's. I think they like pulling the TB fans chains a little bit.

To some of the TB fans/worshipers, no other QB's can have good qualities. They're all bums. The TB fans cant admit that not only are the top 3 QB's close in talent. But other QB's later in the draft have just as much potential as TB.

I'm not really high on any of the QB's in this draft. But I will say I like Smith and Murray at 3-1 much more than TB/JM/BB at 1-1. I doubt many of the TB guys have ever seen Brett Smith play or watched any film on him.
Lots of good points in here. The last couple of weeks this section of TT has basically been Aggies vs. TB worshippers vs. independents. It's basically a mini version of the 2006 draft. And it's only going to get worse.

Generalizations here, but:

The Manziel fans can't accept that other people don't think he will be as great as they hope he will be.

The Bridgewater fans can't accept that anyone could have another QB rated higher.

The Bortles fan doesn't know what he thinks. He waits for twitter to tell him.

The McCarron fan is special in his own way, but at least he backs up his arguments, even if the rest of us don't agree with him.

I will say that I try to stay neutral but I prefer Bridgewater at #1. I will also say that I can pretty much guarantee that I have watched more film on these guys than just about anyone here. I have no way to prove that but I have watched a lot. Football is my only hobby. That doesn't mean that you have to trust my opinions. But when I have an opinion on a player it is based on my own analysis from what I have seen with my own eyes. In the end we all have "our guy", even if we don't want to admit it. But I trust that O'Brien will do what's best, so no matter who he chooses I'll fall in line.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #511
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The McCarron fan is special in his own way, but at least he backs up his arguments, even if the rest of us don't agree with him.
Surely there's more than one...

Old 02-07-2014   #512
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
Maybe he keeps coming back because he under performed the first three qtrs?
or because his team didn't have a Top 25 Defense. You're going to believe what you want to believe. What ever floats your boat.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #513
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lots of good points in here. The last couple of weeks this section of TT has basically been Aggies vs. TB worshippers vs. independents. It's basically a mini version of the 2006 draft. And it's only going to get worse.

Generalizations here, but:

The Manziel fans can't accept that other people don't think he will be as great as they hope he will be.

The Bridgewater fans can't accept that anyone could have another QB rated higher.

The Bortles fan doesn't know what he thinks. He waits for twitter to tell him.

I will say that I try to stay neutral but I prefer Bridgewater at #1. I will also say that I can pretty much guarantee that I have watched more film on these guys than just about anyone here. I have no way to prove that but I have watched a lot. Football is my only hobby. That doesn't mean that you have to trust my opinions. But when I have an opinion on a player it is based on my own analysis from what I have seen with my own eyes. In the end we all have "our guy", even if we don't want to admit it. But I trust that O'Brien will do what's best, so no matter who he chooses I'll fall in line.
So you've seen Brett Smith play? Looks a lot like Montana at Notre Dame to me. Will he turn out to be anywhere in the neighborhood of Montana as a pro? Doubtful. However Smith has tools, the only thing that worries me is his concussion history.

Didn't mean to derail this thread.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #514
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you've seen Brett Smith play? Looks a lot like Montana at Notre Dame to me. Will he turn out to be anywhere in the neighborhood of Montana as a pro? Doubtful. However Smith has tools, the only thing that worries me is his concussion history.

Didn't mean to derail this thread.
Yes I have. I had him rated as a 3rd round prospect before the season was even over. I had no idea he was going to declare but I was high on him. We can carry this conversation over to the Brett Smith thread if you're interested.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #515
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes I have. I had him rated as a 3rd round prospect before the season was even over. I had no idea he was going to declare but I was high on him. We can carry this conversation over to the Brett Smith thread if you're interested.
I would love too.

Let me know what you think and I will give you my thoughts.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #516
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

People keep saying this about Manziel, but Bortles is going to get a GM or a coach fired....... (Minnesota, Jax, and Tenn could probably give some great advice on how wise it is to reach for these kinds of QBs). It happens every year with guys who come out of nowhere to shoot up the boards only to be just what everyone initially thought they were.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #517
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Making the Case for Blake Bortles as 2014 NFL Draft's Top Overall Pick
By
Chris Trapasso , Featured Columnist
Feb 7, 2014

Here's what O'Brien said about Bortles after that game, per Paul Tenorio of the Orlando Sentinel:

"Anytime you have a quarterback like [Bortles], who is accurate, has a strong arm, is big and can stand in the pocket and can run, it is a difficult challenge. He played a great game tonight and all the credit to him. I think he is a heck of a player. I didn't get a chance to meet him or say hello to him, but I think he is a heck of a player."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...p-overall-pick
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #518
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Making the Case for Blake Bortles as 2014 NFL Draft's Top Overall Pick
By
Chris Trapasso , Featured Columnist
Feb 7, 2014

Here's what O'Brien said about Bortles after that game, per Paul Tenorio of the Orlando Sentinel:

"Anytime you have a quarterback like [Bortles], who is accurate, has a strong arm, is big and can stand in the pocket and can run, it is a difficult challenge. He played a great game tonight and all the credit to him. I think he is a heck of a player. I didn't get a chance to meet him or say hello to him, but I think he is a heck of a player."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...p-overall-pick
Pretty cool... still I wonder what he would have said after playing Jonny Football
Old 02-08-2014   #519
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What gets me is Tex and Mussop seem to be able to find good things to say about the other QB's. I think they like pulling the TB fans chains a little bit.

To some of the TB fans/worshipers, no other QB's can have good qualities. They're all bums. The TB fans cant admit that not only are the top 3 QB's close in talent. But other QB's later in the draft have just as much potential as TB.

I've said from the start that there is good qualities in all three of theses guys. If we pick one of them I'll be fine with the choice. If Obrian takes one it's going to be because he believes that particular player fits his system the best. If he takes Clowney I'll be fine with that too. Hell I'm cool with Watkins or Robinson. I can justify any of those picks.

IMO all these guys should be difference makers. I think it's silly to lock onto one of them and dog the rest. I'm happy as hell we are going to get one of them.

I really like Smith and Murray and Gerapolo (sp) in the second and third as well.
Old 02-09-2014   #520
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My biggest issue with Bortles, other than the competition level, is that he's only been doing it for 2 years.

Do you really know a player, watching him from afar, after 2 years? I know George O'Leary was high on him coming out of highschool & has been his coach for the last two years & O'Brien has history with O'Leary, so yeah he can get the scoop from the man... & I would have to think that's exactly what happened if we draft Bortles.

But I'd still be weary.
You'd still be tired?

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read