Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-05-2014   #461
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Well in your opinion it's the other way around.
And in your opinion you have to ridicule, flame and douche your way to a point.
Old 02-05-2014   #462
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
And in your opinion you have to ridicule, flame and douche your way to a point.
Just pointing out facts.
Old 02-06-2014   #463
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oooooooh catfight!!!

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #464
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 232779 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks: Bortles as No. 1 QB is a big mistake

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks believes selecting UCF's Blake Bortles as the No. 1 QB in the draft would be a big mistake.
Quote:
"To me, I think there is a substantial difference between the way (Bortles) plays, and the other two guys," Brooks said. "I think he's a talented athlete, I think he has the prerequisite size you look for, but I just don't think his game is as polished as a Johnny Manziel or a Teddy Bridgewater." We believe there is a strong chance Houston makes this "mistake" a reality.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #465
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
"To me, I think there is a substantial difference between the way (Bortles) plays, and the other two guys," Brooks said. "I think he's a talented athlete, I think he has the prerequisite size you look for, but I just don't think his game is as polished as a Johnny Manziel or a Teddy Bridgewater." We believe there is a strong chance Houston makes this "mistake" a reality.
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks believes selecting UCF's Blake Bortles as the No. 1 QB in the draft would be a big mistake.

I think drafting any of them 1-1 could be a big mistake. I don't think Bridgewater is as "polished" as people say. I can't believe anyone would describe Manziel's game as "polished." So yeah, Bortles has the most to learn, but he's got the one thing you can't teach...

Well Manziel has speed, but we're talking about QBs. Bortles' size makes him as legit as the other two.... jmo
Old 02-06-2014   #466
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not impressed by bortles from what I watched of him. Lots if wide open guys, clean pockets one on one coverage and his throws mostly seemed behind his receivers. He can chunk it deep, but he didn't lead receivers well. I see a big guy, physical, good arm strength but I just don't know how he reads defenses when he has pressure consistently or when he has tighter more confusing coverage in the secondary.

Every time I watch bridgewater I'm in awe of him as a qb. The way he leads guys, his movement in the pocket, the pump fakes, the way he appears to have total control of the offense, his mobility to escape and get yards at times, making completions in coverage, throwing guys open.

When I see manziel I see a guy that needs to be tamed. Doesn't look like he's making many reads. If it's not there he starts running around. I like the zip on his passes, I like his creativity but I think he relies on that too much. Throws from awkward positions even when he doesn't have to. I'm not as worried about his size. I like the flare and spark he'd bring. The notoriety.

For it's teddy, with manziel As a close second based on what he could become. But I wouldn't be pissed with any if them. I'd be pumped with tb, excited in a flashing lights kind of way with manziel and I'd be ok, not thrilled with bortles and hoping ob could mold him.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #467
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 4940 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I was not impressed by bortles from what I watched of him. Lots if wide open guys, clean pockets one on one coverage and his throws mostly seemed behind his receivers. He can chunk it deep, but he didn't lead receivers well. I see a big guy, physical, good arm strength but I just don't know how he reads defenses when he has pressure consistently or when he has tighter more confusing coverage in the secondary.

Every time I watch bridgewater I'm in awe of him as a qb. The way he leads guys, his movement in the pocket, the pump fakes, the way he appears to have total control of the offense, his mobility to escape and get yards at times, making completions in coverage, throwing guys open.

When I see manziel I see a guy that needs to be tamed. Doesn't look like he's making many reads. If it's not there he starts running around. I like the zip on his passes, I like his creativity but I think he relies on that too much. Throws from awkward positions even when he doesn't have to. I'm not as worried about his size. I like the flare and spark he'd bring. The notoriety.

For it's teddy, with manziel As a close second based on what he could become. But I wouldn't be pissed with any if them. I'd be pumped with tb, excited in a flashing lights kind of way with manziel and I'd be ok, not thrilled with bortles and hoping ob could mold him.
I agree. Teddy seems to excel at the decision making and poise in the pocket. Which to me matters so much more than physical traits and gifts. His style of play is conducive to the Nfl, which I think is the advantage over Johnny. Johnny's style of play is not directly reproducible in the NFL especially at his size. He will get hit too much, be not nearly elusive with better defenders, and put the ball in harms way too much as a gunslinger. He will have to adjust, the offense must suit. Not saying he can't do it but it's definitely a risk. But I still like Johnny's decision making just not as much as Teddy's.

I want no part of Bortles. Size and strength mean nothing if you are prone to make bad decisions. See Jay cutler. He is too much of a risk to me, because he has not demonstrated that he will be able make the right decisions enough of the time. We have seen it time again, decision making with pressure is a talent or gift that can be developed but not taught. You have to be born with it. Bortles is a risk because he has not demonstrated to my liking. I really hope this shows in the game film.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014   #468
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

The next time Bucky Brooks is right will be the first time Bucky Brooks is right.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #469
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling Bortles is on OBs radar more than Manziel or Bridgewater looking at the QBs he has had and coached up Bortles is the same fit.
Old 02-06-2014   #470
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I have a feeling Bortles is on OBs radar more than Manziel or Bridgewater looking at the QBs he has had and coached up Bortles is the same fit.
Makes perfectly good sense.There is nothing about Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater that says Bill O'Brien.
Old 02-06-2014   #471
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 4940 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny football maybe, but Bridgewater would fit in any system. I'm starting to think Bortles is media hype. He may prove to impress with the work outs, but I'm not buying this groundswell of acclaim from no where. Too many analyst falling in love with his size because the other guys are small.
Old 02-06-2014   #472
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
Johnny football maybe, but Bridgewater would fit in any system. I'm starting to think Bortles is media hype. He may prove to impress with the work outs, but I'm not buying this groundswell of acclaim from no where. Too many analyst falling in love with his size because the other guys are small.
Maybe to someone that hasn't been paying attention. He gained more notoriety every game. By the end of the year most hardcore draftniks, fans and mouthpieces already knew what they are saying now.
Old 02-06-2014   #473
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The next time Bucky Brooks is right will be the first time Bucky Brooks is right.
Yep his prediction record isn't exactly great. In fact I would put him right down there with skip Bayless.
Old 02-06-2014   #474
Texian
Hall of Fame

Blake Bortles the next Andrew Luck? QB guru sees similarities

“I think it’s the intangibles,” Clarkson said. “I never see him get rattled. That’s the one thing. The most impressive thing I remember about Andrew Luck in college was the game against USC when he threw the pick-six. Any other guy it would’ve demoralized him, but he shrugged it off like it never happened. Then he ends up leading his team on a touchdown drive thereafter.

“When I look at Blake I see a lot of those intangibles. I’m really big on that. The ‘it’ factor; the things that you can’t coach. You put a guy out there when the chips are down and you can rely on his cool, calm and collectiveness to get the job done and rally his teammates behind him. That goes a long way. [Bortles] clearly displayed that over the course of the last season.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/b...arities-020514
Old 02-06-2014   #475
jradMIT
Veteran

The hype machine is in full effect now. Come on now, he is the next Luck? One of the best prospects ever? Based on intangibles no less? Its getting pretty laughable.
Old 02-06-2014   #476
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The hype machine is in full effect now. Come on now, he is the next Luck? One of the best prospects ever? Based on intangibles no less? Its getting pretty laughable.
Old 02-06-2014   #477
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nothing says a Bill O'Brien QB like 6'4" 230 lb BLAKE BORTLES as 6'4" 220 lb CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG!
Old 02-06-2014   #478
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Clearly you didn't see the 4 games this year where in his team's last possession he delivered 4 GAME WINNING DRIVES. If you had you wouldn't be making such comments nor would you be laughing.
Old 02-06-2014   #479
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

So Clarkson is a credible source? The same guy who charges exhorbitant amount of money to 'turn kids into stars' ? Lol. Hmmm Bortles comes from an affluent family so it does kinda make sense. A quick google on this snake venom salesman should provide some good wholesome entertainment.

Brooks, king, kiper, Mayock not credible.

Steve Clarkson is a guru. Lmao.
Old 02-06-2014   #480
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Clearly you didn't see the 4 games this year where in his team's last possession he delivered 4 GAME WINNING DRIVES. If you had you wouldn't be making such comments nor would you be laughing.
He is probably the greatest player of all time .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read