Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-04-2014   #441
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
What an idiot. This guy is not a doctor and shouldn't be viewed as one. He's a guy that has a platform to say whatever he feels like, but is clearly (EDIT) someone that is not as qualified as a doctor to speak on this.

He's an 80 year old man set on his ways. He's like those scouts that laughed at Brad Pitt in Moneyball because it was something new and innovative he was introducing.

I remember "BIG Ben" almost dying because of an injury suffered on the football field just over a year ago.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...entially-fatal

Let's speak about truths related to size and not need to break out our resident Dr's to sort truth to it again that some will never accept/respect.

He can see the full field of vision and he will be a beast to take down coupled with his ability to run. He's a talented young super old looking man.

In other news, we now have "trusted" sightings of Bortles #1. This goes along with the others we have seen with TB #1, Manziel #1, Clowney #1, and a trade down scenario, and a trade for Mallet scenario. Obviously all of these are from "trusted" sources... obviously.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9320/blake-bortles

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...ut-out-for-him
Gil Brandt is the most prolific innovative scout ever to be associated with the NFL. There is a saying that says, wisdom is lost on the youth. The above post is a perfect example.

I shake my head and wonder whenever I see folks dismiss Brandt but then are all to happy to jump in bed and believe anything and everything Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, Matt Miller and the dozens of other wannabe's running around masquerading as scouts have to say about anything or anyone.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #442
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Gil Brandt is the most prolific innovative scout ever to be associated with the NFL. There is a saying that says, wisdom is lost on the youth. The above post is a perfect example.

I shake my head and wonder whenever I see folks dismiss Brandt but then are all to happy to jump in bed and believe anything and everything Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, Matt Miller and the dozens of other wannabe's running around masquerading as scouts have to say about anything or anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAHlZVgXjk

No one on this website takes those other one's as truth. Much of us read what they say, take it for what it's worth and process it against what we believe to be truths. I am saying he is not a doctor. Show me his MD and I will retract my statement. I can ask any 80 year to throw generalizations and stereotypes out there, doesn't mean I should believe them because they've seen it before.

Montee Kiffin used to be a pretty legit coach, then the game changed, and he didn't change with it. Now he's an "assistant head coach of the defense" AKA about to be fired next year.

Last edited by TexansFTW; 02-04-2014 at 04:01 PM.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #443
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

Brandt is really good but he's not the best ever. If you've been around for awhile you know who that designation belongs to.
Old 02-04-2014   #444
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

A recent scouting report on Bortles.

Check it out for no reason other than the player comparison.

:duckandcover:

http://breakingfootball.com/2014-nfl...outing-report/
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #445
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Yea! Comparison: Matt Schaub.

#1-1!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #446
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAHlZVgXjk

No one on this website takes those other one's as truth. Much of us read what they say, take it for what it's worth and process it against what we believe to be truths. I am saying he is not a doctor. Show me his MD and I will retract my statement. I can ask any 80 year to throw generalizations and stereotypes out there, doesn't mean I should believe them because they've seen it before.

Montee Kiffin used to be a pretty legit coach, then the game changed, and he didn't change with it. Now he's an "assistant head coach of the defense" AKA about to be fired next year.
How many doctors have seen the QBs that Brandt has seen. He is not diagnosing a disease, but giving an opinion based on YEARS of NFL experience. Does it still apply? Maybe and maybe not. But past experience is usually a good starting point.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #447
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BWAHAHA!!! I thought "It's gonna be...", and then I thought "Nah, that's unpossible...", and then I finally looked and said "No sh&t?"
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2014   #448
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
BWAHAHA!!! I thought "It's gonna be...", and then I thought "Nah, that's unpossible...", and then I finally looked and said "No sh&t?"
A healthy Schaub was a pretty good QB. Problem was his best years didn't coincide with the rest of the teams.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #449
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
A healthy Schaub was a pretty good QB. Problem was his best years didn't coincide with the rest of the teams.
This, basically.

2010 Schaub was borderline elite. That crappy D was what held him back, and then after that came his injury and his level of play just went in the opposite direction of our defense, though it took a while to notice (end of 2012 vs. NE, Minny, Indy)
Old 02-05-2014   #450
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #451
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Reggie Miller and Durant were skinny and how many games they've missed. Brady was 6'4 215 and how many games has he missed. You don't have the same body at 25 as you d at 21. I like Bortles more than any qb not named Bridegwater. He does things cutler and stafford ish that make you pause both good and bad.
Old 02-05-2014   #452
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That may be, but he's no 1-1.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #453
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Reggie Miller and Durant were skinny and how many games they've missed. Brady was 6'4 215 and how many games has he missed. You don't have the same body at 25 as you d at 21. I like Bortles more than any qb not named Bridegwater. He does things cutler and stafford ish that make you pause both good and bad.
Give me the QB with the gun. Of course my opinion is predicated off of yrs of watching Schaub play.

This is also why I've got no problem with Mallett or Mettenberger/Garrapolo
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #454
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me the QB with the gun. Of course my opinion is predicated off of yrs of watching Schaub play.

This is also why I've got no problem with Mallett or Mettenberger/Garrapolo
Watching the pro bowl I was enamoured with Cam Newton's arm strength. It was amazing seeing him casually lofting 40 yards throws like they were nothing.

It would be great to have that threat radius but it doesn't make a great QB.....Jeff George.
Old 02-05-2014   #455
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watching the pro bowl I was enamoured with Cam Newton's arm strength. It was amazing seeing him casually lofting 40 yards throws like they were nothing.

It would be great to have that threat radius but it doesn't make a great QB.....Jeff George.
A great arm doesn't make a great QB. But a great arm + the ability to process info quickly + accuracy are great places to start.

Mallett has #1-2 in his toolbox already. Supposedly he's improved on #3. He's slow running but has the ability to get back and set up quickly. So his feet cant be all that bad.

Schaub once upon a time had #'s 2-3.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #456
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
A great arm doesn't make a great QB. But a great arm + the ability to process info quickly + accuracy are great places to start.

Mallett has #1-2 in his toolbox already. Supposedly he's improved on #3. He's slow running but has the ability to get back and set up quickly. So his feet cant be all that bad.

Drew Brees says a great QB is 80% intangibles.

What does that look like for Mallett?

I am open to anybody that gets us a trophy, I am cautious about giving up draft collateral on someone else's junk.
Old 02-05-2014   #457
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Where did you get this info from?

Bortles biggest knock is that he is missing #2.

Mallett's biggest knock is that he is also missing #2. Also his other biggest knock is exactly what you said that I put in bold.

He was projected by Mayock as a 2nd rounder when he came out WITHOUT even factoring in his drug use and being a flat out idiot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...any-questions/

This is what he's done since:

4 passes with 1 interception http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...7/ryan-mallett

Just about EVERYONE balls out in preseason, especially against 2nd team units if they deserve to be a starter, but he barely completed over 50% of his passes and a 3/1 TD:INT ratio in the PRESEASON.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanmallett/2495443/gamelogs

Dude is a bum. I'll gladly take him on for our 4th round compensatory pick to push and rival whoever we draft, MAYBE our 4.01, but that would be really stretching it for me.

Dude has showed little improvement IMO, this coupled with his need to be paid soon, coupled with his off field antics, coupled with just being a stupid human being (from what I hear, obviously don't know him), make it really hard for me to get behind this guy.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #458
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where did you get this info from?

Bortles biggest knock is that he is missing #2.

Mallett's biggest knock is that he is also missing #2. Also his other biggest knock is exactly what you said that I put in bold.

He was projected by Mayock as a 2nd rounder when he came out WITHOUT even factoring in his drug use and being a flat out idiot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...any-questions/

This is what he's done since:

4 passes with 1 interception http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...7/ryan-mallett

Just about EVERYONE balls out in preseason, especially against 2nd team units if they deserve to be a starter, but he barely completed over 50% of his passes and a 3/1 TD:INT ratio in the PRESEASON.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanmallett/2495443/gamelogs

Dude is a bum. I'll gladly take him on for our 4th round compensatory pick to push and rival whoever we draft, MAYBE our 4.01, but that would be really stretching it for me.

Dude has showed little improvement IMO, this coupled with his need to be paid soon, coupled with his off field antics, coupled with just being a stupid human being (from what I hear, obviously don't know him), make it really hard for me to get behind this guy.
Thou shalt not have no other GOD before TEDDY!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #459
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Manziel was God, Bortles was Jesus and Bridgewater was the damn devil?
Old 02-05-2014   #460
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I thought Manziel was God, Bortles was Jesus and Bridgewater was the damn devil?
Well in your opinion it's the other way around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read