Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-20-2014   #381
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
more supposition from Texian....
Negative Mr. T, I posted the commentary exactly as it was written without one word from me. Also provided the link for you to verify. I am guilty of passing along news and information without any editorial whatsoever. I did BOLD some comments for emphasis. As you can see, that is all!

Quote:
Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel draw praise from Bill O'Brien

O'Brien has seen Bortles up close and personal. Bortles led the Knights to a 34-31 victory at Penn State on Sept. 14; he threw for 288 yards, three touchdowns and an interception, and completed 74.1 percent of his passes in the win. That was his second-highest completion percentage of the season.

O'Brien also is close to UCF coach George O'Leary, who is one of his mentors: O'Brien worked for eight seasons under O'Leary at Georgia Tech. Who better to provide an unvarnished scouting report for O'Brien on Bortles than one of his mentors, who also happened to coach Bortles for four seasons?

Of the three, Bortles best fits the mold of a prototypical pocket passer, which is the type of offense O'Brien ran at Penn State and the type of offense he oversaw when he was the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...Twitter_nfl_cb
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #382
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Negative Mr. T, I posted the commentary exactly as it was written without one word from me. Also provided the link for you to verify. I am guilty of passing along news and information without any editorial whatsoever. I did BOLD some comments for emphasis. As you can see, that is all!
Lol, I'm already sick to death of talking about this though & i'm to the point i don't even care anymore who we pick...I'll be estatic if it's TB....Ok if it winds up being Bortles or if we swing a trade for Mallet...

I think i might have a coronary if it winds up being Manziel or Carr.....

& just "ehh" if it's any other prospect from this draft.

At the end of the day though, if BoB picks them i'll just have to trust that he knows what he's doing......
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #383
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 22499 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Lol, I'm already sick to death of talking about this though & i'm to the point i don't even care anymore who we pick...I'll be estatic if it's TB....Ok if it winds up being Bortles or if we swing a trade for Mallet...

I think i might have a coronary if it winds up being Manziel or Carr.....

& just "ehh" if it's any other prospect from this draft.

At the end of the day though, if BoB picks them i'll just have to trust that he knows what he's doing......
I just hope we pick up the right QB, it doesn't matter if we draft him or whatever, just hire a damn QB that deserves to start...

I have this terrible feeling we'll draft clowney because he is the "best player available" and we'll end up with the 2 best defensive players in the NFL playing for a team that wins the best spot in may...
Old 01-20-2014   #384
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I have this terrible feeling we'll draft clowney because he is the "best player available" and we'll end up with the 2 best defensive players in the NFL playing for a team that wins the best spot in may...
The NFL is a QB driven league and the Texans don't have a QB. Only one position in all of football is worth $20+ mil and that is a QB. As bad as things have been the Texans are still smart enough to understand this (let's hope so anyways). If not, whoa is we......
Old 01-20-2014   #385
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If not, whoa is we......
Woe is us. The word is "woe", and "us" is the proper case (as it is the object).
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #386
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Woe is us. The word is "woe", and "us" is the proper case (as it is the object).
I must have missed that day in English class. Thank You, glad you were paying attention. Nice to learn and nice to have an editor.
Old 01-20-2014   #387
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I must have missed that day in English class. Thank You, glad you were paying attention. Nice to learn and nice to have an editor.
Not a problem. I figured that you would appreciate the correction.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014   #388
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not a problem. I figured that you would appreciate the correction.
I really do, I am smarter because of it. I will be using "woe is us" before long.
Old 01-21-2014   #389
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't shout whoa to the horse, you'll be in woe.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #390
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 104065 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel draw praise from Bill O'Brien

O'Brien has seen Bortles up close and personal. Bortles led the Knights to a 34-31 victory at Penn State on Sept. 14; he threw for 288 yards, three touchdowns and an interception, and completed 74.1 percent of his passes in the win. That was his second-highest completion percentage of the season.

O'Brien also is close to UCF coach George O'Leary, who is one of his mentors: O'Brien worked for eight seasons under O'Leary at Georgia Tech. Who better to provide an unvarnished scouting report for O'Brien on Bortles than one of his mentors, who also happened to coach Bortles for four seasons?

Of the three, Bortles best fits the mold of a prototypical pocket passer, which is the type of offense O'Brien ran at Penn State and the type of offense he oversaw when he was the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...Twitter_nfl_cb
I read that this weekend and nearly choked. Bortles had more rushing yards than TB.
Old 01-21-2014   #391
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya know, the more the Texans organization talks about a guy, the less likely they are to be targeting him... There's a bigger game at play here, especially this early on in the offseason.
Old 01-21-2014   #392
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Ya know, the more the Texans organization talks about a guy, the less likely they are to be targeting him... There's a bigger game at play here, especially this early on in the offseason.
yeah they have done this the last few years. the guy who was never mentioned or mentioned least got drafted.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #393
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235719 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
The hard evaluation on Bortles is based on how confident a coach is on being able to take those "What the eff" moments out of his game.

The feelings on Bortles will fluctuate w/ the feelings on Jay Cutler. Cutler "finds" interceptions. Bortles has the same DNA for that.

He opens his hips early & wide routinely, but usually maintains accuracy. Tweaking this could still pay dividends.

Bortles can struggle will have to adapt, more than usual to NFL safeties & the speed of the game.

Blake needs to understand the nuances of the routes vs coverages. He throws back shoulder w/ CB is trailing & leads when CB is over the top

He misses defensive assignments & understanding of them. He's good to hit the defenders in the hands for at least twice a game.

I'd like to see Bortles more from under center. He gets caught staring down reads at time. Tendency to slightly miss passes.

The moments in the game aren't too big for him. He looks the part & it's easy to fall in love with his big frame & delivery.

He has plenty of arm to make all the throws. In games he's hit on passes from the outside hash to the far sidelines.

Bortles throws back across his body w/ the ease & accuracy of Locker. He's comfortable in the pocket & out. He'll take hits to make throws.

Bortles has the pocket mobility & mobility of Luck & built w/ a similar frame that makes him hard to bring down in the open field or pocket.

What makes Bortles so frustrating is that he has traits of Jay Cutler & Andrew Luck...good & bad.

Finally ready to comment on Blake Bortles. I've had a harder time getting comfortable w/ my opinion on him than any QB in the last 10 drafts
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #394
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm anxiously waiting for the "Braddock doesn't know what he's talking about" posts.
Old 01-22-2014   #395
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for that Playoffs.

Good review of Bortles.

I have him third in my internal QB rankings after TB and JFF.

Would probably only want him if we had moved down a bit in the draft.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #396
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I'm anxiously waiting for the "Braddock doesn't know what he's talking about" posts.
Now that is what a REAL scouting report is supposed to look like.
Old 01-22-2014   #397
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

From what little film I've watched on Bortles, he struggles to process information consistently which will be magnified next level. But then I can also still remember Brady @ Michigan, he held on to ball too long & forced throws into coverage as well, he worked out pretty darn good.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #398
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
From what little film I've watched on Bortles, he struggles to process information consistently which will be magnified next level. But then I can also still remember Brady @ Michigan, he held on to ball too long & forced throws into coverage as well, he worked out pretty darn good.
i don't think we should use brady for comparisons. he is such an anomaly
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #399
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reading the above write up, I was wondering if we should call him an athletic Brett Favre.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #400
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i don't think we should use brady for comparisons. he is such an anomaly
I watched Brady play a heck of a lot more in College than Bortles, like it or not, he is just a stronger version, only question really is does Bortles possess the natural leadership skills?

I still prefer Bridgewater anyways, everything he does is fast including soaking up coaching & playbooks. I can really not compare him to any other QB. Teddy is more the anomaly!

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 01-23-2014 at 12:32 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read