Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-15-2014   #341
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Well the funny thing is that he penalizes Bridgewater for beating up the "weak sisters of the poor" but not Manziel. Manziel boosted his stats a ton in non-conference games the past 2 years.

That's because the original conversation was about Bortles and Bridgewater. Manziel had NOT been discussed. The original commentary was Bortles playing Penn St & South Carolina vs Teddy playing Ohio and Florida International. You know what they say, people who can't handle the truth will change the narrative and so you did.

He also penalizes Bridgewater for playing in a weak conference, but doesn't penalize Bortles. His argument is that Bortles played Ohio State, Missouri, South Carolina, and Penn State out of conference. Forget that he only played well in 2 of those games. The fact that UCF played those games erases Bridgewater's superior performances against Florida and Miami.

I, and many other people on this board, try to look at things clearly and objectively. He, on the other hand, has an obvious agenda in every thread that he enters and only helps to cloud the issue and turn things into flame wars.
^^^^ Comments in BOLD^^^^

In Bortles and Bridgewater I only make note of the weak sisters, common conference opponents, uncommon non conference opponents. Manziel vs Bridgewater comparisons and level of competition was only mentioned after the narrative was changed.

I, and many other people on this board, try to look at things clearly and objectively.

When did making excuses for your bias become clear and objective. You're confusing clearly and objectively with DISCOMBOBULATED which is how you often sound when anyone makes any faint criticism of Teddy or when anyone says something nice about and Manziel or Bortles and doesn't mention Teddy too. Which is not uncommon with most BIAS Teddy comments, which are mostly knee jerk and reactionary, like a response you get if someone said something bad about your momma.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #342
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
When did making excuses for your bias become clear and objective. You're confusing clearly and objectively with DISCOMBOBULATED which is how you often sound when anyone makes any faint criticism of Teddy or when anyone says something nice about and Manziel or Bortles and doesn't mention Teddy too. Which is not uncommon with most BIAS Teddy comments, which are mostly knee jerk and reactionary, like a response you get if someone said something bad about your momma.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #343
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Better is better....period....and if you can afford it, you always pick the best of whatever. You don't not pick the best just b/c you may be able to get something else similar cheaper... This is the situation the Texans are in with 1:1. You have the opportunity to pick who you think is the best...so pick the best...doesn't matter how much better...or even what position it is...well actually, the position does kinda matter at that slot.

Alot of it has to do with the teams at the top of the draft board (qb needy), but as i said with TB, if you are thought to be good enough to go top 5, you're good enough to be picked 1:1 overall. Many draftniks have Bortles going top 5. Hell, LZ/John Harris has him as ranked as the #1 prospect overall i believe.

As far as the rest of your post, It doesn't really make sense. Everyone's board is different, but not as much when it comes to the top 5 picks. In essesnce what you're saying is that we shouldn't look at Teddy or any other qb if the jags & browns don't have them ranked the same or are already looking at drafting either of the 3....
This reminds me of the separation of fans when Texas signed Rodriguez. Some, like you thought he was the best player in baseball and therefore there was no price too high to pay. The Owner went with that group and within three years, learned the hard lesson that even the best player can cost too much to field a winning team.

I have always believed that every player's price must be considered alongside his value to the team. Many times the best player is also the best value, but not always.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #344
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The typical KNEE-JERK reactionary response.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #345
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are getting way to caught up in the who, what, when, and where. Analyzing SOS and stats are all fine and dandy, but what really matters is a players individual skillset; that is what is most important at the next level and what we should be analyzing more thoroughly. Overall schedule and strength of opponents played should be very far down the list in my opinion, and rather we should look at how each player performed when facing their best competition and in their biggest games. In this aspect all 3 guys; Manziel, Teddy and Bortles have done exceptionally well.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #346
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Completely on board with this statement. Now the draft class sux. I'm having a hard time following that logic. If your guy is there, ya snag him. Case closed, it's a wrap.
The draft class is great. It's just the top of the draft class that's muddled.
Old 01-15-2014   #347
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I already stated you need that trading partner. As for the rest? Just "rolling the dice" is what gets you Ryan Leaf.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
If everybody comes to the same conclusion as us, there will be no trades. But that rarely happens, so it makes trades a real possibility.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2014   #348
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
You guys are getting way to caught up in the who, what, when, and where. Analyzing SOS and stats are all fine and dandy, but what really matters is a players individual skillset; that is what is most important at the next level and what we should be analyzing more thoroughly. Overall schedule and strength of opponents played should be very far down the list in my opinion, and rather we should look at how each player performed when facing their best competition and in their biggest games. In this aspect all 3 guys; Manziel, Teddy and Bortles have done exceptionally well.
You make great points and I fully agree. I tend to dismiss SOS when it comes to an individual level because what matters is how a guy performs against the better competition. I don't care if a guy has been beating up on little teams if he has proven that he can beat up the big teams as well. All 3 guys have proven they can play against the big boys, therefore, I don't really care what conference they play in. However, since SOS was brought up, I decided to play along.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #349
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I like Clowney/Richardson/Brett Smith more than Bridgewater/Richardson.
That's fair, but I would give it an incomplete without knowing who that other third round guy is.

How does that compare to something like Bridgewater/Richardson/Attaochu?
Now we're talking.....
Old 01-15-2014   #350
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good post.

I think Bortles has the size, but not enough flash to compensate for his other shortcomings.

Manziel has the flash, but not the size to compensate for his shortcomings.

Bridgewater has enough size & flash to keep him in the conversation, but - imo - not enough.

Right now, Bridgewater is the best choice, if you're going to spend a 1-1 on a QB that's lacking quite a bit from other QBs who were acquired with the 1-1, then he's the best choice.

If he weighs in at 215lbs, He makes up a big part of that gap. 210lbs..... close enough.

AT the same time, if Bortles has an amazing Combine, decides to throw & all that..... he could very easily become the best choice.

I like Manziel, a lot. There's just no way I'll risk a top 10 pick on him. Just can't do it, unless this draft is extremely void of talent.
how does 5 pounds make any difference other than the perception of the number it gives
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #351
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
how does 5 pounds make any difference other than the perception of the number it gives
Because he should have been trying to add weight since the surgery on his jaw.
Also, if he weighs in at 215 instead of 210, it would mean that he likely played at 205~210, even though armchair GMs like me say he looked skinnier.
Old 01-15-2014   #352
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
good post. Lol at people getting sucked into meaningless debate. I'm the one that usually gets sucked in.
Old 01-16-2014   #353
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Who would you guys compare Bortles to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #354
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post

Most Compare him to Big Ben.
Old 01-16-2014   #355
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81298 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post

A more athletic Roethlisberger if everything goes right. Jake Locker if it doesn't.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #356
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

from http://msn.foxsports.com/

source

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxSports
Blake Bortles, Jr., QB, Central Florida

He's the most . . . surprising name on this list.

He belongs because . . . he has what is considered the ideal size (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) for a pocket passer in the NFL and put up big numbers (3,581 yards, 25 TDs, 67.8 completion percentage, 163.3 passer rating) while playing in a pro-style offense (in the traditional, Tom Brady-sense of the term "pro-style").

What he's done lately:
Old 01-17-2014   #357
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
lol well we know what QBs with hot GF/Wifes do

Its just all in fun guys, no need to analyze stats on QBs with hot gfs to see if this might be true.
Old 01-17-2014   #358
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post

Its just all in fun guys, no need to analyze stats on QBs with hot gfs to see if this might be true.
yeah I think I see a pattern here, but it has nothing to do with talent (="football talent")

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Matt Leinart

Mark Sanchez
Old 01-17-2014   #359
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post

Except Schaub didn't get his hottie until after the NFL contract.

Bortles ain't got nothing but confidence at this point, he's unemployed with a hottie.
Old 01-17-2014   #360
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Just an fyi...

There are some less clothed pics of Bortles' g/f out there if you care to search the internets...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read