Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2014   #241
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

On the radio just now LZ said that he has sources saying Shortles will be our pick at #1 after all is said and done. Take that for what it's worth.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #242
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
On the radio just now LZ said that he has sources saying Shortles will be our pick at #1 after all is said and done. Take that for what it's worth.
so he's insinuating that the texans have already made up their mind even tho the evaluation process hasn't even kicked into gear yet...

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #243
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bet you his sources are Texian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #244
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really have any opinion one way or the other, but it cracks me up that one of his upsides was he was able to throw two interceptions.

/signed first two games of the season.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #245
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So some chicken is afraid to attach his name to a draft prediction? Unless it is someone who can make draft decisions for the Texans or his right hand man being anonymous just sounds ridiculous.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #246
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I see the tools...i see the measurables.....i don't see the decision making...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #247
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Unlike most here there is no preconceived like or dislike. Only reality based unbiased and objectivity. There is the ability to think beyond the 2013 Sugar Bowl, there is the ability to think for one's self not what the media tells you to believe.

There is no difference in a 20 yard pass from shotgun formation in a Pro Set or some kind of spread. A 20 yard out is a 20 yard out, a 40 yard post is a 40 yard post, a 15 yard cross is a 15 yard cross, a 12 yard hook is 12 yard hook. A 25 yard TD run is a 25 yard TD run.

Hint: Put your money on the team with $40 mil to be more competitive than a team with only $8 Mil. Basic common sense and logic vs a whole bunch of wishing and hoping.
lol, sorry Tex. You're far from unbiased. Your information is good that's why I don't blast you like most others do, but you definitely show quite a bit of bias.

The money thing can't be argued though. We R F'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Ever wonder why nobody, literally nobody takes you seriously?
In his defense, I do. I disagree w/ him often too.

Engaging in a back and forth argument I learned long ago is just a time suck though. He's got good information and you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Who would you compare Bortles to?
Ryan Tannehill, maybe Jake Locker (who showed me in a limited time he was on the field this year that he COULD be an NFL QB).

I think he (Bortles) can be very good, but bottom end of top 10 QBs is the ceiling I see for him, which is hardly bad, don't get me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
A team that beat the Texans twice....so what does that make any QB who goes to Houston?
Ouch. Sad, but true. At least for us it will (hopefully) only be a 1 year thing.

Last edited by TexansFTW; 01-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2014   #248
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

Ryan Tannehill, maybe Jake Locker (who showed me in a limited time he was on the field this year that he COULD be an NFL QB).

I think he (Bortles) can be very good, but bottom end of top 10 QBs is the ceiling I see for him, which is hardly bad, don't get me wrong.
If a guy is good enough to go in the top 10 then he's not a reach at 1-1, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe in the BPA concept because I don't believe that there is such a thing as the "best player." The rankings of the players is purely subjective. So team A's BPA isn't going to be team B's BPA and that's certainly not the same as Mel Kiper's BPA.

Each team has to know its needs and its strengths and weaknesses. When they rank the players, they should be ranking by which player is going to have the most positive impact on their team.

So if we decide to take Bortles or Manziel or Bridgewater or Clowney first, I'm fine with that as long as the FO is right in determining that whichever guy they choose is going to have a huge impact on this team. BUT... with the rookie wage scale, it's not as important to hit on that 1-1 (or even top-10) pick as it used to be.

If we go with Bortles, he doesn't have to be the next Peyton Manning to be worth the 1-1 pick. He just needs to evolve into upper echelon QB in a year or two.

Up until the last few years, it was so rare for rookie QBs to be successful that it was silly. IIRC, only one rookie starting QB had a winning record in the history of the NFL prior to Roethlisberger... and now we've had a run of rookie and second year QBs doing great things.

I'm hoping whoever we pick duplicates that sort of Russell Wilson/Roethlisberger/RGIII success but the odds are against it. So I'm not expecting him to hit the ground running as an upper echelon QB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #249
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

They should take these guys out like they do on that elite 11 show and give them a good workout . The #1 guy in the country didn't even make it to the first 8 IIRC . Jameis Winston won the show I watched .
Old 01-08-2014   #250
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If a guy is good enough to go in the top 10 then he's not a reach at 1-1, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe in the BPA concept because I don't believe that there is such a thing as the "best player." The rankings of the players is purely subjective. So team A's BPA isn't going to be team B's BPA and that's certainly not the same as Mel Kiper's BPA.

Each team has to know its needs and its strengths and weaknesses. When they rank the players, they should be ranking by which player is going to have the most positive impact on their team.
I agree. I hate the way folks act like the players all come with little objectively graded bar codes and you just line them up - then yell at anything not done in conformance with the imaginary value.
Old 01-08-2014   #251
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I see the tools...i see the measurables.....i don't see the decision making...
...I don't see the accuracy...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #252
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I'm hoping whoever we pick duplicates that sort of Russell Wilson/Roethlisberger/RGIII success but the odds are against it. So I'm not expecting him to hit the ground running as an upper echelon QB.
For me, any top ten pick should be able to start week one. Maybe he doesn't give you the best chance to win... say he was drafted behind Brett Favre, or on the same team with Banden Albert.

But if all you've got is Case Keenum & Tj Yates, you should be starting day 1.

I don't think Bortles is a day one starter. I love his size, his mobility, his arm. But he's going to need more than one off-season to acclimate him to an NFL offense (my opinion).

However, I have no doubt he'll go with the 3rd overall pick if not the 2nd, only because there will be such a demand for QBs among the top 5-6 teams. So I can understand if the Texans feel like he's their guy & take him with the first overall. Same for Bridgewater.

I still wouldn't like it. Well, Bridgewater may be able to start day 1, hopefully he'll be 210+ by the time for the combine. 215 I'll be happy. 220, I'll be ecstatic. Otherwise, like Schaub, we'll be holding our breath, hoping he can play a whole season.

If we draft Bortles, we better bring in a vet that gives us a chance to win. Maybe not a Super Bowl, but 8 or 9 games.
Old 01-08-2014   #253
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
For me, any top ten pick should be able to start week one. Maybe he doesn't give you the best chance to win... say he was drafted behind Brett Favre, or on the same team with Banden Albert.

But if all you've got is Case Keenum & Tj Yates, you should be starting day 1.

I don't think Bortles is a day one starter. I love his size, his mobility, his arm. But he's going to need more than one off-season to acclimate him to an NFL offense (my opinion).

However, I have no doubt he'll go with the 3rd overall pick if not the 2nd, only because there will be such a demand for QBs among the top 5-6 teams. So I can understand if the Texans feel like he's their guy & take him with the first overall. Same for Bridgewater.

I still wouldn't like it. Well, Bridgewater may be able to start day 1, hopefully he'll be 210+ by the time for the combine. 215 I'll be happy. 220, I'll be ecstatic. Otherwise, like Schaub, we'll be holding our breath, hoping he can play a whole season.

If we draft Bortles, we better bring in a vet that gives us a chance to win. Maybe not a Super Bowl, but 8 or 9 games.
McNair already say we were going to bring in a veteran so that we wouldn't have to start a rookie.
Old 01-08-2014   #254
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I agree. I hate the way folks act like the players all come with little objectively graded bar codes and you just line them up - then yell at anything not done in conformance with the imaginary value.
Not only that, that would seem like such a flawed system to go by. You're just going to throw all factors out the window for whoever you got ranked high enough on your barcode list? What if you have two other good guys at that position? What if you have a really great guy at another position of need for your team available, but he is two slots down on the barcode list so you're supposed to pass on him? I just don't see how that follows and sort of sound logic at all no matter how many GM's talk about BPA as their strategy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #255
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You guys are taking BPA way to literally. There are many exceptions but the main idea is you don't take a player at a position of need when there is another player that is clearly a better overall player.
Old 01-08-2014   #256
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You guys are taking BPA way to literally. There are many exceptions but the main idea is you don't take a player at a position of need when there is another player that is clearly a better overall player.
I understand the concept just fine. What I disagree with is the folks who think they can line everybody up in precise "best player" order. It's ridiculous on so many fronts. For instance, these discussions act like the "best players" all line up single file. They don't. Taking someone who may go 10 spots down may still be taking a player of equal talent level. It creates a strategic opportunity to attempt a trade but if one can't be wrangled taking any of them there is not a reach. It's really should be considered the next ballpark of talent approach.
Old 01-08-2014   #257
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
lol, sorry Tex. You're far from unbiased. Your information is good that's why I don't blast you like most others do, but you definitely show quite a bit of bias.

The money thing can't be argued though. We R F'd.
On this we disagree. Unlike many who have been in love with Teddy since the Sugar Bowl and who still are to this day, I started the season with Manziel and Boyd as my 2 top QBs. I also thought that David Fales would be in the discussion as a Top 5 QB. Boyd had a much better Peach Bowl vs Teddy's Sugar Bowl. While Teddy played a good game much of Louisville's success in that game came from their defense, Florida's 3 turnovers and Jeff Driskel's horrible play (a pick six to start the game).

When the season started Winston and Bortles were not even on my radar. Bortles blipped when he almost beat S Caro and Winston showed up after dismantling Clemson. It was only after watching several games from the top 10 QBs in this draft, that I decided sometime in November, that the Top 3 QBs in this year for me were Winston, Manziel and Bortles. Winston is not eligible for the draft, I believe Manziel has as much affinity for drinking beer as he does playing football and Bortles has the best arm and highest ceiling of them all. Next to Manziel, Bortles runs best and only runs when he has to and when he needs to make things happen.

Now if that is being biased, well then, I guess I am biased. Unlike you and many others, your love for Teddy has never wavered since last years Sugar Bowl. You think I am biased because I don't share your love for Teddy. If you think all my other information is good, why is my evaluation of Bortles flawed and bias?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #258
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 01-09-2014   #259
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 01-09-2014   #260
revan
Veteran

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read