Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-18-2014   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Ot... Og

So I started the "Clowney, then what" thread hoping it would be a place we can discuss the rest of the draft. We've got several spots that do not have a current starter.

Our biggest problem is Quarterback, but our OL wasn't doing anyone any favors last season. Whether it was Schaub, Keenum, Foster, or Tate to put it bluntly the OL didn't do it's part.

I know OB most likely has his own ideas & plans for the team, but I want to hear what you want to do, as far as the draft goes.

I'm not in love with any of these QBs, I think I made that clear. You may be, & that's fine. If we draft Bridgewater, I'm going to be the biggest Bridgewater fan this side of my couch. If we draft Bortles, I'm buying a jersey ASAP. If we draft Manziel..... well, it's going to be hard not to sell my game tickets, I could probably sell them for 4x face value easy. So I'm going to like that.

So assuming we take a QB with that first pick.... or a DE, who should we be looking for on the offensive line. I want a guard & a tackle. If you're high on Quessenbery, that's cool, what OT do you think will be there in the 6th, 7th, UD....

Is there a guard with high upside that can be had in the 3rd or 4th? I'm good with using a second... just need to know who's out there, who's worth checking out.
Old 02-18-2014   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ot... Og

I think the majority of our line is set with Brown, Myers and Brooks. I'm expecting Quessenberry to come in and take over at LG.

So for me, I'm expecting to draft an RT fairly early.

I'm hoping for Antonio Richardson or Cyrus Kouandjio (sp) at 2-1 but they might wait until later in the draft. Mayock has said this is a tackle-deep draft so we might be able to get a good one in the 3rd or 4th but I don't know all these guys, yet.

I'm hoping I'll learn more from the Combine and from the TT Mock.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

OT's that I like:
Cyrus Kouandjio, might be available in the 2nd round, but it will take some luck.
Morgan Moses, 2nd round or maybe in the 3rd if we're lucky.
Antonio Richardson, 2nd round if he can lose some weight and gain some athleticism/agility.
JaWaun James, 3rd round, very solid RT.
James Hurst, 4th round currently has a broken leg but bones heal better than tendons.
Joel Bitonio, just beginning to look at him, maybe 3rd round.
Cameron Fleming, just beginning to look at him, maybe 5th round or later.

OG's that I like:
David Yankey, 2nd round prospect.
Gabe Jackson, 2nd round prospect as well.
Cyril Richardson, 2nd or 3rd rounder.
Brandon Thomas, 4th round prospect
Andrew Norwell, late round or UDFA can play both OT and OG.

Honestly I project Quessenberry to fill the LG spot. I think we should take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd depending on how the draft falls to us and then maybe a late round developmental guy that can play both OT/OG.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

Honestly I project Quessenberry to fill the LG spot. I think we should take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd depending on how the draft falls to us and then maybe a late round developmental guy that can play both OT/OG.
Although most people of talking Quess at LG. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see OB try Quess as RT. After all he played LT and RT in college.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So I started the "Clowney, then what" thread hoping it would be a place we can discuss the rest of the draft. We've got several spots that do not have a current starter.

Our biggest problem is Quarterback, but our OL wasn't doing anyone any favors last season. Whether it was Schaub, Keenum, Foster, or Tate to put it bluntly the OL didn't do it's part.

I know OB most likely has his own ideas & plans for the team, but I want to hear what you want to do, as far as the draft goes.

I'm not in love with any of these QBs, I think I made that clear. You may be, & that's fine. If we draft Bridgewater, I'm going to be the biggest Bridgewater fan this side of my couch. If we draft Bortles, I'm buying a jersey ASAP. If we draft Manziel..... well, it's going to be hard not to sell my game tickets, I could probably sell them for 4x face value easy. So I'm going to like that.

So assuming we take a QB with that first pick.... or a DE, who should we be looking for on the offensive line. I want a guard & a tackle. If you're high on Quessenbery, that's cool, what OT do you think will be there in the 6th, 7th, UD....

Is there a guard with high upside that can be had in the 3rd or 4th? I'm good with using a second... just need to know who's out there, who's worth checking out.
I personally think OB tries to make do with Quessenberry and Williams, neither has been on Reliant field. If OL is a must then it's Billy Turner in RD 4 for me. A 5th or 6th RD OL is likely a bigger waste than Quess or Williams.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Although most people of talking Quess at LG. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see OB try Quess as RT. After all he played LT and RT in college.
What is your expection regarding Quessenberry's recovery? 100%? 90%?
Old 02-18-2014   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd have no problems trying him at RT. I think he needed to add some strength from what I saw in preseason last year, but he had the mobility. I surely hope the broken foot healed 100% and he used the time off to get bigger and study his craft. He should have been in the weight room and film room every day.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2014   #8
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 13867 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

With Quess and Williams coming back, plus the others from last year, we should be sitting pretty good going into training camp with the addition of just one mid round prospect. I think the general rule of thumb is that you always try to bring in at least one new player every year to compete for playing time. Since RT was our weak spot last year, the player that has caught my eye pre-combine is Ja'wuan James at 4-1. Wolf6151 has him at 3-1,but I don't believe I've seen a big board with him quite this high. This may change after the combine, but I think he's generally rated as 3/4 right now, somewhere about 112 overall.

The description I have on him this early is that he's a natural right tackle who quickly recognizes stunts and has initial quickness with lateral agility and flexibility. He's light on his feet, plays with his knees bent and has good balance.

Sounds too good; I need to find out what his weaknesses are and why he's currently rated so low. He's 6'-6", 315 and with 40 time around 5.28.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

At OT I like Morgan Moses IF he's there at 32. JuWaun James/Cameron Fleming/Billy Turner in the 3rd.

Late rd guys 5-7 John Halapio/Matt Patchan/Spencer Long.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #10
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

personally i wouldn't take an o-lineman till late in the draft.
LG i think will go to big Q and jones as backup which is probably good enough.
Newton will be gone or at least a back up and if we had average play from the RT position this year we would have been at least a top 15 line.
My thinking is give williams a decent chance of taking the RT spot and bring in a FA like Austin howard to compete with.

For me if we get at least average play from LG and RT our o-line will be good enough.
We just have to many holes to fill that have higher priority.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What is your expection regarding Quessenberry's recovery? 100%? 90%?
The Texans have kept the information regarding his injury limited to.........."foot fracture." That tells me nothing about ultimate prognosis.

This is what I wrote right after it happened.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=23

Shortly thereafter, he underwent an equally descriptive "surgery."

He could come back with essentially no significant residual effects.........or he can become another Yao Ming.

Sorry, but that's as far as I can take it. I hope that the Texans have not been so ESPECIALLY vague re. his injury because of a poor prognosis. I guess we will all find out come OTAs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
I personally would like to get beyong "good enough." I dream of the day sportscasters are able to say, "He has all kinds of time..." when talking about our QB.
Old 02-18-2014   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65163 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a fantastic draft for OL. Lots of talent and tons of depth. If we end up with 2-3 comp picks then I think we should double dip at the position. Maybe one early-to-mid pick and one mid-to-late pick.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #14
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I personally would like to get beyong "good enough." I dream of the day sportscasters are able to say, "He has all kinds of time..." when talking about our QB.
i think we can have that with a decent RT. as you know the o-line is one whole unit and you are only has strong as your weakest link in our case last year very weak because RT was a mess.
Fix that, brooks will play elevate his play which should help meyers and so forth.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #15
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quessenberry and Williams cannot be considered reliable right now. They may be eventually, but they're not off to a good start. As long as their injury risk exists, we have to draft at those two positions. Depth is needed on the line anyway.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep your eye On Brandon Thomas, Clemson.
Old 02-19-2014   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not as sold on Gs as I am the Ts at the top. Agree on Moses.

Mike Mayock and Tony Pauline discuss Morgan Moses
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #18
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Newton will be gone or at least a back up and if we had average play from the RT position this year we would have been at least a top 15 line.
My thinking is give williams a decent chance of taking the RT spot and bring in a FA like Austin howard to compete with.

For me if we get at least average play from LG and RT our o-line will be good enough.
We just have to many holes to fill that have higher priority.
Quote:
I personally would like to get beyond "good enough." I dream of the day sportscasters are able to say, "He has all kinds of time..." when talking about our QB.
THANK YOU!

"Good enough" for what??
We may very well be starting a rookie at QB and folks will be satisfied with "good enough"??

I want the very best O-line we can assemble to give who ever we have starting the best chance to be successful. I'd rather not have my QB have to make up for shoddy O-line play. I've saw that movie last season and I didn't like how it ended.
Old 02-21-2014   #19
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
The Texans have kept the information regarding his injury limited to.........."foot fracture." That tells me nothing about ultimate prognosis.

This is what I wrote right after it happened.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=23

Shortly thereafter, he underwent an equally descriptive "surgery."

He could come back with essentially no significant residual effects.........or he can become another Yao Ming.

Sorry, but that's as far as I can take it. I hope that the Texans have not been so ESPECIALLY vague re. his injury because of a poor prognosis. I guess we will all find out come OTAs.
This worries me. The Texans Med Staff don't exactly have a superlative record regarding diagnosing and treating injuries. Counting on Quess to come back to full strength is a real gamble; one I don't care to take for some one who might possibly be our starting RT.
Old 02-21-2014   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
THANK YOU!

"Good enough" for what??
We may very well be starting a rookie at QB and folks will be satisfied with "good enough"??

I want the very best O-line we can assemble to give who ever we have starting the best chance to be successful. I'd rather not have my QB have to make up for shoddy O-line play. I've saw that movie last season and I didn't like how it ended.
Good enough to be part of one of the top OLs in the league - and that can be had at 2.1. We had a damn good one with 3.2 at RT.

The Seahawks split time between 5th and 7th rounders at RT. Denver had a 2nd rounder at RT. We aren't the Eagles with a 32 year old LT such that it made sense to draft their future LT and play him at RT. Ours is 28.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read