Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-19-2014   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brett Hundley

Time to start his own thread for Texan future consideration. Hundley is a big athletic QB 6040 225. Shows poise in pocket, has mobility to create & strong arm. Out of this upcoming draft eligible, QB class he seems to me our best chance to take the reigns for Bill O'Brian's offense. May take some bold maneuvering (move up into top 5 picks- draft day) but strike while opportunity is possible. Here is some background & information for your reading pleasure, will track his progress on field intently this College season. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Brett Hundley

Top 5?

Surely Winston is coming out & Mariota. You think there will be three QBs go in the top 5?
Old 08-19-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Top 5?

Surely Winston is coming out & Mariota. You think there will be three QBs go in the top 5?
Don't be certain that Winston is coming out. If he remains out of trouble legally this season, he might play another year and then be #1 pick. If all three are top five that should give Houston better chance at Bryce a few picks later or maybe even at a trade down. If they are too greedy.
Old 08-19-2014   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Time to start his own thread for Texan future consideration. Hundley is a big athletic QB 6040 225. Shows poise in pocket, has mobility to create & strong arm. Out of this upcoming draft eligible, QB class he seems to me our best chance to take the reigns for Bill O'Brian's offense. May take some bold maneuvering (move up into top 5 picks- draft day) but strike while opportunity is possible. Here is some background & information for your reading pleasure, will track his progress on field intently this College season. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl
I was big fan of Hundley last year but his slightly off passes could/would be interceptions in the NFL. I also will watch him at UCLA and see if he can correct his throwing motions in turn increasing his accuracy. As of today I think Texans have to draft a QB first round. unlike 2014 draft it seems 2015 qb depth will be at most two rounds deep, if that.
Old 08-19-2014   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

After the 2013 season ended, of the possible QBs that could have been eligible for the draft, Hundley was not in my Top 10. He was a day 2 or 3 project. He needed to go back to school, which he did. I have to see much more improvement before he becomes a day 1 QB candidate for my draft board.
Old 08-19-2014   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI - a dozen Brett Hundley game tapes

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bret...y-vs-usc-2013/
Old 08-19-2014   #7
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Liked him but I thought like Manziel (but for different reasons) needed to stay in school. I will be watching UCLA games carefully this season.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2014   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last yr the game proved to be fast mentally for Hundley. He also needs to greatly improve his timing/accuracy issues.

Hopefully he can improve this part of his game, or he could become this yrs Taj Boyd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hopefully he can improve this part of his game, or he could become this yrs Taj Boyd.
I remember in Gruden's QB Camp, he was going over film with Boyd. It was a play where Boyd missed a lot, from the protection to a couple of open receivers. Gruden asked him how many times he'd seen that play & Boyd said "None."

As if the coaches didn't review game film with their QB to try to fix obvious mistakes, or as if Boyd never bothered to pay attention.

I think what happens with guys like Boyd is that their talent gets them noticed, but they either have enough talent to stay ahead of the curve, like Cam, or they study & practice, & put in the work, like Bridgewater.
Old 08-20-2014   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember in Gruden's QB Camp, he was going over film with Boyd. It was a play where Boyd missed a lot, from the protection to a couple of open receivers. Gruden asked him how many times he'd seen that play & Boyd said "None."

As if the coaches didn't review game film with their QB to try to fix obvious mistakes, or as if Boyd never bothered to pay attention.

I think what happens with guys like Boyd is that their talent gets them noticed, but they either have enough talent to stay ahead of the curve, like Cam, or they study & practice, & put in the work, like Bridgewater.
Good generalization but you have to be careful making those assumptions. I watched a lot more of UCLA than I did Clemson but I think Boyd stock was based off a measurement of maturity & supporting cast weapons instead of how well he transitions into the NFL as franchise QB. Tajh was very mature, prolific QB early on, poised, polished (of course with areas of weakness) covered up somewhat by being blessed with big time targets. Stout & stocky he was physically developed & looked ready, while tall athletic QB's like Hundley , Mariota struggled @ times to grow into their frames. What you focus on is not how good he is now or has been but what he will be in 3-5 years. Hundley has huge upside that translates into a much higher draft grade than most here seem to imagine.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 08-20-2014   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

After watching several of the Hundley game videos I have noticed he is a one read get the ball out quick QB. Hundley also throws a inordinate number of bubble screens.
Old 08-20-2014   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
After watching several of the Hundley game videos I have noticed he is a one read get the ball out quick QB. Hundley also throws a inordinate number of bubble screens.
Yep, kinda reminds me of the offense that Heath Shuler ran at Tennessee and we all saw how well that transferred to the NFL.

1. Winston
2. Mariota
3. Cook
4. Petty

So the Texans should be able to find their QB in the next draft. Even if they have to trade up the cost shouldn't be to great.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 08-20-2014 at 09:40 AM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Dane Brugler -
Quote:
1. Oakland Raiders -- QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
Yes, the Raiders drafted Derek Carr in the second round in May, but if Oakland is picking No. 1 overall in 2015, that probably means the Raiders will have a new general manager, head coach and braintrust in the front office, which puts Mariota in play. The Oregon passer has all the tools, physically and mentally, that NFL teams are searching for at the position.

2. Minnesota Vikings -- DL Leonard Williams, USC

3. Cleveland Browns -- OT Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M

4. Houston Texans -- QB Jameis Winston, Florida State
With the No. 1 overall pick last year, the Texans decided to pass on a quarterback, drafting Tom Savage with the 135th pick in the fourth round instead. Head coach Bill O'Brien can't be overly excited about his current quarterback situation and with several talented passers projected to be in the 2015 class, including Winston, it will be much tougher for Houston to pass on a quarterback in the first round of next year's draft.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars -- DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska

6. Cleveland Browns (from BUF) -- S Landon Collins, Alabama

7. Washington Redskins -- DE Mario Edwards, Florida State

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- QB Brett Hundley, UCLA
With a new front office and coaching staff taking over in Tampa, the long-term plan for the roster, notably the quarterback position, is an unknown at this point. But if the Buccaneers are picking in the top-10 again next spring, quarterback has to be high on the team's wish list. Hundley has all the physical tools and with improved consistency in 2014, he will be considered a possible top-10 pick.

9. Tennessee Titans -- QB Connor Cook, Michigan State
Unless Jake Locker takes a big step forward in his development in 2014, there is a chance this season is his final one in Tennessee. An offensive-minded head coach, Ken Whisenhunt likely wants a quarterback who can push the ball downfield and command the huddle and Cook checks those boxes and could be a surprise high pick.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers -- CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 08-20-2014   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At the moment, I do not consider Hundley as a bona fide franchise QB.

I see only two: Mariota and Winston.

Mariota doesn't quite fit OB's scheme, since he doesn't play hardly, if at all, from under center.
I still prefer Mariota over Winston due to off-the-field concerns.

I think I like Petty more than Hundley.
Connor Cook is another name to watch, even though both Hundley and Cook may go back for another year.
We'll see how much these guys progress, but at the moment, I can only the top two guys being able to perform well under duress at the NFL level.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
At the moment, I do not consider Hundley as a bona fide franchise QB.

I see only two: Mariota and Winston.

Mariota doesn't quite fit OB's scheme, since he doesn't play hardly, if at all, from under center.
I still prefer Mariota over Winston due to off-the-field concerns.

I think I like Petty more than Hundley.
Connor Cook is another name to watch, even though both Hundley and Cook may go back for another year.
We'll see how much these guys progress, but at the moment, I can only the top two guys being able to perform well under duress at the NFL level.
Keenum and Savage seem to be playing from shotgun a bit so far. I usually don't think much of a QB under 60% accuracy and Connor Cook was at 58.7 in 2013 albeit as a sophomore. Also if one is to consider drafting Winston then WR Dorial Green-Beckam should be considered also.
Old 08-20-2014   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Keenum and Savage seem to be playing from shotgun a bit so far. I usually don't think much of a QB under 60% accuracy and Connor Cook was at 58.7 in 2013 albeit as a sophomore. Also if one is to consider drafting Winston then WR Dorial Green-Beckam should be considered also.
Personally, I wouldn't take either Winston or Beckham; just commenting on their talent and skills.

For a young first time starter, Cook's TD/INT is good 22/6.
I just want to keep an eye on him to see how he progresses.
He already said that he would come back to school, not just this coming year, but also the following year; so unless he has a tremendous year, I don't think we'll see him in the upcoming draft.

We'll just have to wait and see if Petty, Hundley, Mannion, etc can take a big step forward.
Old 08-20-2014   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
IMO, whether a guy plays from under center or not shouldn't be a determining factor on whether or not a player fits a particular system. It's not like coaches at the college level ask the QB if they want to play under center or not, or changes from one system to another depending on their QB. Guys like Roethlisberger & Flacco did not play much from under center.

Again, jmo, but if a guy didn't play much from under center in college then it might mean it'll take longer for him to get acclimated to doing it than someone who did.

It might be a tie-breaker of sorts, all things being equal.

That's not to say Mariota fits OB's "scheme" I have no opinion on that.
Old 08-21-2014   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
IMO, whether a guy plays from under center or not shouldn't be a determining factor on whether or not a player fits a particular system. It's not like coaches at the college level ask the QB if they want to play under center or not, or changes from one system to another depending on their QB. Guys like Roethlisberger & Flacco did not play much from under center.

Again, jmo, but if a guy didn't play much from under center in college then it might mean it'll take longer for him to get acclimated to doing it than someone who did.

It might be a tie-breaker of sorts, all things being equal.

That's not to say Mariota fits OB's "scheme" I have no opinion on that.
All things being equal is the key words.

Let's say Winston doesn't have any of that of the field baggage; it would be tough for me to decide between the two of them.

For some reason, I do like Mariota a little more.
At the end of the day, I'd probably go with Winston to be on the sure side of things.
There's no telling how long it would take for Mariota to be as efficient from under center.
There's no guarantee that he will ever be as efficient from under center.

But with Winston out of the equation, Mariota is a no brainer for me.
Old 08-21-2014   #19
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

He uses his running to set up the pass. A less athletic and less precise RG3. Has a bigger frame so is probably more durable but that might be it.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
He uses his running to set up the pass. A less athletic and less precise RG3. Has a bigger frame so is probably more durable but that might be it.
I enjoy comparable's. Never thought once of Robert Griffin but now that you mention him there is one comparable I would like to make & that is this time, beginning of RG3 Jr. season most people didn't think he was worth a first round pick, certainly not top 5 & #2 overall behind only Andrew Luck.

I'm not sure if this is process of hyperbole development, laying foundation among fellow draft clones or just passing of another College Football season, but invariably in the end, we wind up thinking a whole lot more about prospects when tape & game film are fresh in one's mind. In my own mind having watched College players over the years Brett Hundley's comp is Colin Kaepernick. I just don't want to see another one just slip by the Texans

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read