Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 4 Days Ago   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gil Brandt on 2014 NFL Draft

Quote:
A lot has changed in the three months since I released my first set of rankings for the draft, but you'll notice my top two players in the draft haven't. Here is my second look at the top 50 prospects for the 2014 draft, which includes a lot of familiar names in different spots, plus a handful of players who are new to the rankings.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...prospects-list

Quote:
1. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Previous rank: 1

2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Previous rank: 2

3. Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
Previous rank: 8

4. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
Previous rank: 10

5. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Previous rank: 4

6. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Previous rank: 7

7. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
Previous rank: 20

8. Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
Previous rank: 5

9. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
Previous rank: 9

10. Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
Previous rank: 3

11. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
Previous rank: 19

12. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
Previous rank: 16

13. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Previous rank: 6

14. Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
Previous rank: 25

15. Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
Previous rank: 47

16. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
Previous rank: 35

17. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
Previous rank: 41

18. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
Previous rank: 13

19. Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
Previous rank: 32

20. Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Previous rank: 14

21. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
Previous rank: NR

22. Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
Previous rank: 24

23. C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
Previous rank: 12

24. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

25. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
Previous rank: 21

26. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OL, UCLA
Previous rank: 38

27. Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame
Previous rank: 22

28. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
Previous rank: 11

29. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

30. Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
Previous rank: 27

31. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Previous rank: 18

32. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Previous rank: 17

33. Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
Previous rank: 23

34. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
Previous rank: 42

35. Dee Ford, DE, Auburn

36. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

37. Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada

38. Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee

39. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Previous rank: 46

40. Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh

41. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Previous rank: 45

42. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
Previous rank: 44

43. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

44. Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU

45. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
Previous rank: 29

46. Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
Previous rank: 26

47. Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford

48. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
Previous rank: 34

49. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
Previous rank: 30

50. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

Out of top 50: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama (15); Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida (28); Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida (31); Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State (33); Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona (36); Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (37); Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor (39); Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State (40); Tre Mason, RB, Auburn (43); Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee (48); AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama (49); Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas (50)

Last edited by Playoffs; 3 Days Ago at 09:33 PM. Reason: added Lewan, Moses
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gil Brandt on 2014 NFL Draft

Where is Taylor Lewan?????
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Where is Taylor Lewan?????
My mistake, fat-fingered the edit and deleted #9.
Old 3 Days Ago   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
My mistake, fat-fingered the edit and deleted #9.
I was wondering if Lewan was involved in a homicide or something this weekend and I missed it.
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

People who think Manziel is the best player in this draft make me question if they just don't know anything about player evaluation, or if they have no integrity and just want page hits.

He's coming from Sumlin's system. Sumlin, remember that guy and his high flying offense from his days in Houston? You know, the system that inflated Case Keenum to a 5600 yards per season QB? I'm as skeptical of a QB coming out of Sumlin's school as I am one who played for Mike Leach.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Skipped #29?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
People who think Manziel is the best player in this draft make me question if they just don't know anything about player evaluation, or if they have no integrity and just want page hits.

He's coming from Sumlin's system. Sumlin, remember that guy and his high flying offense from his days in Houston? You know, the system that inflated Case Keenum to a 5600 yards per season QB? I'm as skeptical of a QB coming out of Sumlin's school as I am one who played for Mike Leach.
Yes because if their evaluation is different from yours they must not know anything.
Old 3 Days Ago   #8
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Tom Savage stuff is just beyond me. Comes off as just going for broke on a guy and hoping you nail it so everyone will think you're a genius.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The Tom Savage stuff is just beyond me. Comes off as just going for broke on a guy and hoping you nail it so everyone will think you're a genius.
yep!
Old 3 Days Ago   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my 4th rd. grade now looks ridiculous but on the other side

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As long as OB+Smith nail it, I don't care.

But.

I personally wouldn't draft the guy before the 5th round.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Skipped #29?
Sorry, fixed.

Quote:
He's got at least 25 high-level representatives from teams fooled into personal visits/workouts... so many he's turning teams away.
Old 3 Days Ago   #13
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

How are guys moving up and down the board with nothing going on? I like gil and his top 100 players are pretty good,but lately he's been way off. R
Old 3 Days Ago   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
How are guys moving up and down the board with nothing going on? I like gil and his top 100 players are pretty good,but lately he's been way off. R
Tape, Smoke, and Mirrors.

First off, remember that the "boards" we're hearing about are the MEDIA Boards. People might not be moving up and down the Team's boards at all. The MEDIA boards, however, are an attempt by the media to figure out how the teams rank guys. And no two teams rank the guys the same way.

So every time a media guy talks to a different scout or representative from a team, they're going to get a different story and a different ranking.

And also... remember... the teams think they know which guys are the best guys and they want to confuse other people as to who those guys are and how they have them rated. So they're going to be lying and cheating and deceiving.

So if the media guy in question is the kind of media guy who's going through tape and trying to be their own scout, they're trying to create their own big-board based on their own judgments after looking at all these guys tape and frankly, they don't have enough time to do it all. So every time they hear about someone new or look at a new game, their ratings are going to change.

If the media guy in question is the kind of media guy who's going through his contacts to try to get a feel about how teams perceive their weaknesses and needs and how they perceive the different players as fits, then his board is going to change depending on who he last spoke to.

But ultimately there are 32 completely different, scheme-dependent boards out there that are the only ones that really matter. There's not a single board that really indicated the best player available.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

Who did you think was the best player in the 2011 draft?

Looking back, with hindsight, who turned out to be the best player in that draft? What system did he come from?
Old 3 Days Ago   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yes because if their evaluation is different from yours they must not know anything.

Quote:

Quote:
yep!
Am I missing something here? It's not ok for people to think Manziel is anything less than the best player in this draft... But it's ok for people to think Tom Savage doesn't belong in the top 50.
Old 3 Days Ago   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Am I missing something here? It's not ok for people to think Manziel is anything less than the best player in this draft... But it's ok for people to think Tom Savage doesn't belong in the top 50.
Nope. Sounds like you got it to me. That's almost exactly how the Johnny Love works around these parts.

It's VY all over again.
Old 3 Days Ago   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Nope. Sounds like you got it to me. That's almost exactly how the Johnny Love works around these parts.

It's VY all over again.
Has nothing to do with Johnny love. I have said repeatedly I wouldn't draft him 1.1. But I can see where people think he is the best Player in this draft. He has everything you look for in a QB other than prototypical size. In fact if JF bad prototypical size there wouldn't be any question where he would go in this draft. In a draft where EVERYONE has warts, he along with several other players could easily be first on many big boards. Not to mention he plays the most important position in the game.

Savage on the other hand has very little going for him. To project him as a top 40 player is reaching BIGTIME. I've also never said "if you don't agree with me you must not know anything about evaluating players". There is a difference in saying that and saying people must be reaching on a guy hoping to get lucky to look smart.
Old 3 Days Ago   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not sure why you quoted me. I've been very vocal on this board about not being all that high on Manziel.

I'm critical of the Savage stuff because I watched him in college. He wasn't that great. Played well his last year, but top 50? Absolutely not. JMO.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure why you quoted me. I've been very vocal on this board about not being all that high on Manziel.

I'm critical of the Savage stuff because I watched him in college. He wasn't that great. Played well his last year, but top 50? Absolutely not. JMO.
I haven't watched any of his games.

Give me your opinion of his strength/weaknesses and room/chances for growth and improvement.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read