Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-18-2013   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

First Round: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M, 6050 310

Second Round: Will Sutton, NT, Arizona State, 6010 300

Third Round: AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama, 6030 215

Fourth Round: Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia, 6050 258

Fifth Round: Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville, 5090 217

Sixth Round: Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin, 5110 248

Seventh Round: Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas, 6040 300

Even with trading down there is just no way to cover all holes on this roster but at least this would stop some of the bleeding with safe, right the ship picks if in fact it is possible for Kubiak to save his job @ this point?

Big upgrade to OL well as heart/middle of defense. QB to groom under Keenum, TE to replace Owen & RB to replace Tate.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #2
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

If AJ McCarron can read the blitz and get the ball out faster than Keenum I'm all for it.

Good draft, but no CB?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
If AJ McCarron can read the blitz and get the ball out faster than Keenum I'm all for it.

Good draft, but no CB?
McCarron has great numbers against the blitz. The problem is, he has played behind the best O-Line in the country for 4 years so even when he's blitzed he's rarely truly pressured.

It will be interesting to see how he responds in the NFL when that's not the case.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like this draft, with the exception of Sutton. I don't think he will be anything special in the NFL. Great college player, JAG in the NFL. Maybe slot a CB in there, and hope to fill the NT spot in FA.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it but I don't think McCarron last to Rd 3. With media draftniks maybe, NFL draft boards probably not. I would guess McCarron is closer to Rd 1 than Rd 3. Like Lynch in Rd 4 and Hopkins in Rd 7. IMHO better value with Manziel Rd 1 and Schreff Rd 2. As for NT easier to find better value in FA at reasonable cost.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I really like this draft, with the exception of Sutton. I don't think he will be anything special in the NFL. Great college player, JAG in the NFL. Maybe slot a CB in there, and hope to fill the NT spot in FA.
Thanks Amigo,

It thought Mitchell had one of his best games but seemed like every time he made a play they rotated him out then nothing. Sutton is a better prospect coming out than Earl who was taken with high 3rd.

Like stated there are just more needs than picks even with a trade down plus have yet to identify a DB after priority needs are met, as BB states Texans can roll w/Kareem on the cheap for one more season.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-18-2013   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Sutton was a beast last year. He put on weight to take on double teams and looks slow. He would do better to get down to his previous weight. He's not a NT. Using him as one is a waste of his skills.

I agree with BL's assessment that he's a more talented Earl Mitchell. Both guys have the similar skill-set's. They are gap shooting 3' techniques that excel at rushing the passer. Like Mitchell, he would be miscast at NT in this defense.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2013   #8
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

who is your starting ILB and back ups next year?
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW - I had Mitchell as 5th RD draft pick. Needless to say I was aghast when the Texans took him in the 3rd.
Old 11-18-2013   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Sutton was a beast last year. He put on weight to take on double teams and looks slow. He would do better to get down to his previous weight. He's not a NT. Using him as one is a waste of his skills.

I agree with BL's assessment that he's a more talented Earl Mitchell. Both guys have the similar skill-set's. They are gap shooting 3' techniques that excel at rushing the passer. Like Mitchell, he would be miscast at NT in this defense.
I also agree with BL and 65 as we should move Mitchell over to take Ninja's place and back him with Crick for at least one more year.
Old 11-18-2013   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
who is your starting ILB and back ups next year?
Cushing & Sharpton starters.
Borland & Tarp back-ups.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-18-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72577 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I also agree with BL and 65 as we should move Mitchell over to take Ninja's place and back him with Crick for at least one more year.
Depends on what type of defense the new regime wants to run next yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #13
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Cushing & Sharpton starters.
Borland & Tarp back-ups.
and your happy with that?

Ps. tone my not come across right way with this wording, just asking.
Old 11-19-2013   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
and your happy with that?

Ps. tone my not come across right way with this wording, just asking.
I'd be super happy if both Cushing/Sharpton could stay healthy for a change. While adding a stud in 6th who could very well turn into a starter, elated!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-19-2013   #15
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
While adding a stud in 6th who could very well turn into a starter, elated!
Stud and 6th is a contradiction in terms covered and smothered with a whole lot of wishful hoping and thinking.
Old 11-19-2013   #16
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd be super happy if both Cushing/Sharpton could stay healthy for a change. While adding a stud in 6th who could very well turn into a starter, elated!
bolded are my concerns. mind you I really like mosley and am probably a little be biased. along with the terrible play of our current linebackers I'm perhaps overreacting when it comes drafting a ILB early
Old 11-19-2013   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reminder Sharpton is a FA this off season & would probably sign up for reasonable amount but I am done with him.
Old 11-19-2013   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

BL, I like most of the positions you drafted and about 3 or 4 of the players. Can't argue with Matthews in the 1st. They have to do something about that right side and Newton isn't cutting it. We do have Quiz and Brennan Williams on IR so I'm sure between Matthews and those 2 they should be able to find their RT and maybe their LG.

Not sure about Sutton in the 2nd. I'm still holding out for a bigger NT like maybe Hageman, if he's still there, or Jones from Penn St. Sutton seems like Mitchell or T. McClain part 2. Just hope who ever the DC is next year will be inclined to go that direction. You can see what it does for teams like KC with Poe or Carolina with Lotulelei. And, it may help Cush stay healthy for a season.

McCarron in the 3rd I'm not really sold on either but it may be a good value. To be honest I'm not really sold on any of the QB's in this draft, so I could live with McCarron I guess. Just not excited about him and wouldn't mind waiting on another QB later and maybe pick up a CB/S here. I know there's a lot of questions moving forward with this team and who the coaches will be next season, but I really think Keenum can be the QB of this team and I hope they will give him a chance.

Lynch in the 4th would be a good replacement for OD who should be gone next season. If the Fiedorowicz kid is still there I'd rather they get him.

Dyer in the 5th I don't know much about but could be a good replacement for Tate.

Borland in the 6th would be great but I don't know if he lasts this long. They may have to take him earlier, but I think he would be a great fit for the LB corps. He's a little undersized (5'11") but a big time run stuffer.

Not sold on taking an OG in the 7th. Whoever you get here will probably not be as good as Ben Jones or Quiz. This spot could be used for a Special Teams player like a quick "scat back" type RB, or maybe another Safety or LBer.

Overall it looks like a good draft and I wouldn't be unhappy with the pickups. Like you said, there's too many holes to fill in one draft, but I think you got most of them.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

The biggest knock against McCarron seems to be he does well behind a great Oline so why not put him behind a great Oline in Houston. Brown, Quess, Myers/Jones, Brooks and Matthews. We want to build the line for Keenum anyway so McCarron would seem to be a perfect fit. My only concern is using that pick elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2013   #20
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The biggest knock against McCarron seems to be he does well behind a great Oline so why not put him behind a great Oline in Houston. Brown, Quess, Myers/Jones, Brooks and Matthews. We want to build the line for Keenum anyway so McCarron would seem to be a perfect fit. My only concern is using that pick elsewhere.
Except that is basically the same thing as saying he needs a good team around him to win (or at least he wins when there is a very good team around him). He's never been challenged in the way Manziel or Mariota or even Morris and Mettenberger have.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read