Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2013   #101
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
If they dnt finish high enough to get bridgewater which I think they will finish with the wrse record,I would take clowney at 2 or 3,boyd with my 2nd rd pick,the tennessee nt in the 3rd. In terms of stacking the qb room, I would have case or tj,not both,and a young vet like tavaris jackson,josh mccown type.
I don't watch a ton of college... But from what I have seen of Boyd, his mechanics are a little long and wild... You think he is an NFL QB? .. I like the idea of having a vet presence at QB, but I would like the competition also... Or, at least hedge my bet. Would you traded a 3rd round pick for Cousins?
Old 11-25-2013   #102
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Even if you think it's been as bad for the Patriots and Broncos as it has been for the Texans and Packers, which it hasn't, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do a pretty good job masking deficiencies.

And again, I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit either, because never once in this discussion have I used injuries as an "excuse" for the team's awful roster management and preparation for depth in catastrophic circumstances. In fact, that's probably the biggest problem I have with Kubiak, Smith, and the conditioning/training staff in general. One of these years you'd think they'd say "hey, we constantly get ****ed with injuries, maybe we should bolster the depth of the team for when those inevitable injuries occur" but I guess not.
It's always a shame when the silly reading comprehension (a terrible bastardisation of the English language) insult is resorted to.

Listen, I'm saying when you lose a starter for several weeks you need to have a backup who can step up and hold the fort ready and capable. It should not be a big deal.

When you have a star player go out you should have guys who are capable of role playing to a level where you can mask the weaknesses.

Unfortunately on this team we are nowhere near being able to do that.

We don't have an outside corner on the roster to take over from Jackson, despite the fact we should already be looking for someone to render Joseph a cap casualty at some point, at no level of the organisation has it been addressed.

We've been allowing backups to leave without replacing them over the past couple of years, 3 years ago a few injuries didn't stop us going to the playoffs, for some reason the braintrust didn't realise that the only reason for that was hard work on the 2nd and 3rd string roster, they've simply fallen to sleep on that front.

We don't have quality depth at safety, cornerback, linebacker or dline anymore, previously we did, and it allowed us to get over a few little injuries for a few weeks here and there in addition to a couple of stars on IR.

Teams that are built well do this, this shows that we aren't built well. We can't scheme to cover for the weaknesses of our backups because the backups are way too far from being starter quality.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #103
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63569 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft #1:

Peppers was a certified freak of nature and everyone knew it...we passed on that for Carr because it was the "right" franchise decision. We know now how flawed that was.

I don't wanna pass on Clowney or an offensive lineman bound for the hall of fame because it's the "right" franchise direction. If new managment isn't 100% on a qb in this draft, hold your water.

Our offensive line has turned to manure and we have very little pass rush. Both of those areas can be fixed with our 1st pick. This is a heavy qb draft and we NEED a qb...but we don't have to repeat history by settling for the wrong guy again.
Old 11-25-2013   #104
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Draft #1:

Peppers was a certified freak of nature and everyone knew it...we passed on that for Carr because it was the "right" franchise decision. We know now how flawed that was.

I don't wanna pass on Clowney or an offensive lineman bound for the hall of fame because it's the "right" franchise direction. If new managment isn't 100% on a qb in this draft, hold your water.

Our offensive line has turned to manure and we have very little pass rush. Both of those areas can be fixed with our 1st pick. This is a heavy qb draft and we NEED a qb...but we don't have to repeat history by settling for the wrong guy again.
I'll second this emotion.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #105
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 13867 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
this is extremely disingenuous. we werent any other franchise, we were an expansion team. our best players were retiring jacksonville and jets castoffs and andre johnson.
Don't forget, we had a franchise QB taken #1 in the draft.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #106
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
It's always a shame when the silly reading comprehension (a terrible bastardisation of the English language) insult is resorted to.

Listen, I'm saying when you lose a starter for several weeks you need to have a backup who can step up and hold the fort ready and capable. It should not be a big deal.

When you have a star player go out you should have guys who are capable of role playing to a level where you can mask the weaknesses.

Unfortunately on this team we are nowhere near being able to do that.

We don't have an outside corner on the roster to take over from Jackson, despite the fact we should already be looking for someone to render Joseph a cap casualty at some point, at no level of the organisation has it been addressed.

We've been allowing backups to leave without replacing them over the past couple of years, 3 years ago a few injuries didn't stop us going to the playoffs, for some reason the braintrust didn't realise that the only reason for that was hard work on the 2nd and 3rd string roster, they've simply fallen to sleep on that front.

We don't have quality depth at safety, cornerback, linebacker or dline anymore, previously we did, and it allowed us to get over a few little injuries for a few weeks here and there in addition to a couple of stars on IR.

Teams that are built well do this, this shows that we aren't built well. We can't scheme to cover for the weaknesses of our backups because the backups are way too far from being starter quality.

And I haven't said anything different. I don't know why you're busting my balls on this. That's why I resorted to the reading comprehension comment. But the problem is that sometimes, losing starters IS a big deal. We can say "next man up!" all we want but the fact of the matter is that your starters are starters for a reason. Just like it's okay to criticize a ref for a horrible call or a horrible no-call, it is also okay to say that injuries can often be very big deals, especially when dealt with in large quantities.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #107
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Draft #1:

I wouldn't let history impact my current decision that way. In 2006, we took the pass rushing "freak" with mixed results. I simply want a thoughtful decision made based on the information in front of them.
Old 11-25-2013   #108
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 13867 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Come on! That is the definition of disingenuous. They blew it this year, no doubt... But, the rebuilding was done and a talented team was put together in about 4 to 5 years. That team didn't get it done in 2011 or 2012. 2013 shows the players aren't responding to the system or coaches anymore and a change is needed.. But the rebuild was done and done well... Perhaps a little slow.
Nice, and accurate, observation.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #109
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63569 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I wouldn't let history impact my current decision that way. In 2006, we took the pass rushing "freak" with mixed results. I simply want a thoughtful decision made based on the information in front of them.
We could argue the merits of the mario pick but it would probably end in a stalemate and prove counter productive. You bring up a fair point.

Maybe the question we should be asking is:

Would you draft the safe prospect or the high risk/high reward player?
Old 11-25-2013   #110
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Mario Williams, Vince Young, or Reggie Bush.

I don't see what the discussion is. We clearly made the right choice.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #111
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chiefs.
Good point. Only took the Chiefs 50 years and 12 coaches to get there, but hey, you don't replace Hank Stram easily!
Old 11-25-2013   #112
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Our offensive line has turned to manure and we have very little pass rush. Both of those areas can be fixed with our 1st pick.
That's exactly what we need! A throwback lineman that plays both ways...

... or did I misread something?
Old 11-25-2013   #113
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We could argue the merits of the mario pick but it would probably end in a stalemate and prove counter productive. You bring up a fair point.

Maybe the question we should be asking is:

Would you draft the safe prospect or the high risk/high reward player?
My point is that I don't want the organization to determine what position to draft based on previous wounds. Hopefully, they learned from the David Carr debacle but that should already be cooked into their scouting and decision-making process. The organization shouldn't look back to an event 12 years earlier and allow the those results to effect this year's decisions because their are some cirumstancial similarities.
Old 11-25-2013   #114
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
It was Mario Williams, Vince Young, or Reggie Bush.

I don't see what the discussion is. We clearly made the right choice.

naaa we made the wrong one shouldn't off took any of them

or should of took VY would have eff made the playoffs a lot more often that's 4 sure prob in 2005 and 06
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #115
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

bottom line is people around here are scared to hit the reset button and go into full blown rebuild mode cuz they know it will be another 3 years of 8-8 type seasons
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #116
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think this team has a lot more talent than the 2005 team that I do believe needed 5 years to rebuild....well, 4 anyway. Kubiak didn't suck at rebuilding it and making it good; he sucked at taking it all the way, and now that has caused the whole team to eventually crack under the pressure of offseason expectations. Kubiak's real problem is that he just can't beat Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or a guy like Baltimore's what's-his-face in a good playoff run like last year's. The rest of it is just the team falling apart because they KNOW it.

The team does need a lot of replacements, but it's got a nucleus to build on. I think a new coach and GM could get us back to the playoffs in 2 years. This will probably require a high pick @ QB...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #117
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone think Brian Orakpo would give us a hometown discount next year? Local kid who will be a free agent, and hes looked good tonight.
Old 11-25-2013   #118
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Some of us need to quit acting like this team is devoid of talent, because that isn't the case. Nor is it correct to say the team has enough talent to win a Super Bowl.

We're in that in-between stage that people can call it anything they like depending on which way the wind blows through the ears on their skull.
you mean like 7-9, 9-7 talent Gary's famous for?

Injuries, all teams get hurt, but with the Texans med staff stinking again and Gary rushing Brown/Newton/Williams on the field before they had fully recovered from their injuries, it's no wonder that this teams record is what it is.

Now the team appears to have quit on Gary. This has a 2005 feel all over again.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #119
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
If they dnt finish high enough to get bridgewater which I think they will finish with the wrse record,I would take clowney at 2 or 3,boyd with my 2nd rd pick,the tennessee nt in the 3rd. In terms of stacking the qb room, I would have case or tj,not both,and a young vet like tavaris jackson,josh mccown type.
What Nose has 85 tackles and 4 sacks?
Old 11-25-2013   #120
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87098 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wish a team would be so gaga over a prospect that we could trade down a little and score extra draft picks. This team has so many needs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read