Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2013   #41
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

So the people who say wait on a QB are prepared to suffer through another 2-14 year to get one? If you have a top 3 pick and QB is a need you better snatch one. Contrary to popular belief you wont consistently find true game changers in later rounds, and this draft has guys who can be special in their own distinct ways.
Old 11-25-2013   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I am always leery of players taken with the first two or three picks. Even so called solid QBs. In my opinion we clean house on the coaching staff, front office, GM, all of them. Bring in an entirely new regime and start the hell over again. Screw it. I want this bad taste in my mouth from the current staff to go away.

And let the new regime make the decisions on who to keep and give up on and what to do with the draft picks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #43
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
So the people who say wait on a QB are prepared to suffer through another 2-14 year to get one? If you have a top 3 pick and QB is a need you better snatch one. Contrary to popular belief you wont consistently find true game changers in later rounds, and this draft has guys who can be special in their own distinct ways.

But, but, but....isn't Kubes the "Quarterback Guru"?

He can lead us to the promised land with his talents of which Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels, David Carr became so successful with.

Just imagine how awesome Case Keenum will be with a full year of being under Kubiak's gifted wings.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #44
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
2-9

After 8 yrs?
Come on! That is the definition of disingenuous. They blew it this year, no doubt... But, the rebuilding was done and a talented team was put together in about 4 to 5 years. That team didn't get it done in 2011 or 2012. 2013 shows the players aren't responding to the system or coaches anymore and a change is needed.. But the rebuild was done and done well... Perhaps a little slow.
Old 11-25-2013   #45
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Come on! That is the definition of disingenuous. They blew it this year, no doubt... But, the rebuilding was done and a talented team was put together in about 4 to 5 years. That team didn't get it done in 2011 or 2012. 2013 shows the players aren't responding to the system or coaches anymore and a change is needed.. But the rebuild was done and done well... Perhaps a little slow.
If it had been done well it would have lasted...and probably yielded winning seasons at a time when the likes of demeco, mario, od, Schaub, dunta Robinson even, were in their prime.

It wasn't done well at all, it was ham fisted and stuck at 8-8 until they rolled the dice on 2 big money FAs who put them over the top for a while.

It's a travesty how long it took them to address the running back situation, and the safety position, and the cornerback position for that matter. And that was because they weren't able to get the oline sorted for years.

It took them years to find consistency on the oline despite investing heavily via the draft, and you know what? It's been that time it takes them to luck into decent production from the oline that has been their undoing now.

They spend 2 picks a year on oline because they haven't got a clue how to coach the talent, they've been doing it since they got here and it slowed the time it took them to acquire the rest of the pieces on the team.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #46
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree with Scooter and others on here. The Texans won't have to go through a total rebuild like when Kubiak took over in 06. This team has way more talent on it now. The problem is with the cap and losing a lot of the talent and depth. Whoever the new regime is I think they can turn it around within a couple of years, if they make the right moves. So the real question is, who do the Texans hire as coach? And, will he make the right moves?

So, what coach is out there now that will make all the right moves? I know there must be a consensus pick for that new head coach that will make all the right moves. Let's hear it!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #47
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I have to agree with Scooter and others on here. The Texans won't have to go through a total rebuild like when Kubiak took over in 06. This team has way more talent on it now. The problem is with the cap and losing a lot of the talent and depth. Whoever the new regime is I think they can turn it around within a couple of years, if they make the right moves. So the real question is, who do the Texans hire as coach? And, will he make the right moves?

So, what coach is out there now that will make all the right moves? I know there must be a consensus pick for that new head coach that will make all the right moves. Let's hear it!
I agree, and I'm hoping the rookie QB contract is taken advantage of by the fo. You save like 10mill or more by cutting Schaub the next two years, so use that money to sign a couple of short term guys who need to keep playing for their contract, and then when the likes of watt come up use it to resign him.

Rookie QB and some new pieces on the oline will likely yield another good pick next season giving us the opportunity to become stacked with top end talent once more very quickly.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013   #48
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
If it had been done well it would have lasted...and probably yielded winning seasons at a time when the likes of demeco, mario, od, Schaub, dunta Robinson even, were in their prime.

It wasn't done well at all, it was ham fisted and stuck at 8-8 until they rolled the dice on 2 big money FAs who put them over the top for a while.

It's a travesty how long it took them to address the running back situation, and the safety position, and the cornerback position for that matter. And that was because they weren't able to get the oline sorted for years.

It took them years to find consistency on the oline despite investing heavily via the draft, and you know what? It's been that time it takes them to luck into decent production from the oline that has been their undoing now.

They spend 2 picks a year on oline because they haven't got a clue how to coach the talent, they've been doing it since they got here and it slowed the time it took them to acquire the rest of the pieces on the team.

This is an awful season... It doesn't unmake the talent here. It just wasted an opportunity to take advantage of it. Teams have bad seasons sometimes because they just play poorly and coach poorly, or because injuries and frustration mounts... 2013 is one of those years, not unlike 2010.
Old 11-25-2013   #49
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is an awful season... It doesn't unmake the talent here. It just wasted an opportunity to take advantage of it. Teams have bad seasons sometimes because they just play poorly and coach poorly, or because injuries and frustration mounts... 2013 is one of those years, not unlike 2010.
Kinda tired hearing about all this talent we supposedly have. We have a decent core of players that has actually been depleted the past year or two. Where's this talent you speak of? AJ, Watt, DB, Cush (maybe) and then what?

Our scheme has been figured out on both sides of the ball and is now showing the LACK of talent on this team. This team needs to be Overhauled
Old 11-25-2013   #50
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
But, but, but....isn't Kubes the "Quarterback Guru"?

He can lead us to the promised land with his talents of which Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels, David Carr became so successful with.

Just imagine how awesome Case Keenum will be with a full year of being under Kubiak's gifted wings.
Nothing you can do to make a turd sandwich taste good.

No Joe Montana, Steve Young or John Elway to pad the resume here in town. Jake Plummer would have been the guy if Kubiak would have had his way but Arizona wasn't going to relinquish the rights.

Edit: or was it Tampa that had the rights. Doesn't matter I guess.
Old 11-25-2013   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We just disagree on how talented this team is. That is all.

PM me and I will give you my address so you can mail me my $$$$$.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

When I think rebuild, I think it comes in different forms.

I do not think a rebuild has to jettison the obvious talent on the team. Those are building blocks. Brown, Watt, WRs, Cushing, Swearinger, etc., you obviously keep those guys.

But rebuild, to me, is an entire new coaching staff. Rebuild the types of offensive and defensive schemes. And don't take 5 years to do it. I don't have the attention span.
Old 11-25-2013   #53
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
When I think rebuild, I think it comes in different forms.

I do not think a rebuild has to jettison the obvious talent on the team. Those are building blocks. Brown, Watt, WRs, Cushing, Swearinger, etc., you obviously keep those guys.

But rebuild, to me, is an entire new coaching staff. Rebuild the types of offensive and defensive schemes. And don't take 5 years to do it. I don't have the attention span.
We've seen teams turn it around in a year or two and the missing ingredient has always been either a new coach or a new QB. Take a look at the Seahawks, the Chiefs, the Chargers this season, etc. I can go on. The Colts are an example right here in our own division.

I don't wanna roll the dice on a QB next season. This next season next season stuff is the way we end up with a crappy pick and a QB we really don't want. We can take looks at Winston/Petty/Hogan but who's to say they won't all take the Matt Barkley route from here on? We have some close-to-sure things here. I'm all aboard the Teddy Bridgewater train as long as we're gunning for the #1 overall pick.

I know SteelB and others have been pulling hard for an O-line/LB draft and while it's certainly a good idea take a look at last year's Colts. They are still a mediocre overall team but look what their QB does for them. I'm not saying Bridgewater is Luck, but he certainly is Luck-like. He's still an enticing, fantastic prospect and I think he can be the face of this franchise for the next 10+ years. We can nab a good O-line prospect in the 2nd or 3rd if this draft is truly as deep as it has been claimed to be. We can nab a good ILB2 in the second/third as well. But a QB... if we end up with pick #1, and unless Keenum suddenly switches a light on in his head and starts making some progress, we should go with a QB. When you can put a face on your franchise for the next decade, you do it. If our FO thinks Bridgewater is the guy, they better do it.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #54
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some people wanted Schaub over Smith.

Discount those people as talent evaluators.
Yep. Someone should bring up the old Schaub vs Smith debates. There were a lot of people here that were suggesting that Schaub was the better QB.
Old 11-25-2013   #55
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yep. Someone should bring up the old Schaub vs Smith debates. There were a lot of people here that were suggesting that Schaub was the better QB.
up to that point he was...or he was at least even with him. Just like most thought Kaepernick was gonna be the 2nd coming of Randall Cunningham. Things change. Schaub sucks, & Kaepernick still has not progressed much more as a passer...& smith is still at best an above average game manager. The team has lost 2 straight since he hasn't been able to rely on that defense & it'll be interesting to see what he does if Houston & Hali miss any significant time & he can no longer rely on the defense...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #56
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Ooooh a rebuilding thread. This is how I would rebuild the Texans for maximum hilarity:

Dom Capers is more than likely going to be fired from GB in the offseason. Bam. Head Coach Dom Capers. Derek Carr is a QB who might be coming out in the 2014 NFL Draft. Bam! Derek Carr first round QB.

Let freedom ring.
Old 11-25-2013   #57
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
This!!!! Plus you never know what could happen "NEXT YEAR". Anything could happen. One of the top QB's could decide to return to school for another year, one goes to jail, one has a turd of a season and one tears an ACL. then what? There you are again, waiting till next year.

These QB's aren't flawless for sure but if you are waiting for the next Luck you could be waiting for a long long time.
Old 11-25-2013   #58
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Some people wanted Schaub over Smith.

Discount those people as talent evaluators.
Didn't realize I was the one who started that thread. .

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=Smith+Schaub
Old 11-25-2013   #59
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Find a QB.

That's really the only answer.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this team is that far away from being dominant.

At THIS point, a new coach could come in here and do what Andy Reid did with the Chiefs this year. (Although it remains to be seen just how good or bad that Chiefs team really is.)

I'm one of the people who believed that this team needed several years to "turn it around." I still believe that when Smithiak took this team over, there were no quick fixes. There was simply not enough talent or enough players to do anything.

THIS team is different. Our biggest problem is at QB. If we get the right QB and a little discipline, we're winning lots of games.

With the New NFL, a rookie QB can come in and win. In previous times, that was not the case. With the right draft and the right coaches, we could be back in the playoffs next year. (Provided whatever coach/gm we bring in doesn't decide to blow everything up and start from scratch. Which could happen.)

NOTE: I do not think Case is the guy for the future.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read